Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,627 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Read Before You Embark On Your Journey This Yuletide Season - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Read Before You Embark On Your Journey This Yuletide Season (490 Views)

Situation Reports On Transport Fares Across The Country This Yuletide. / UBER/TAXIFY Drivers Embark On A Strike Action Over Reduction In Fares, Others / Advise To Commuters This Yuletide Season- Harrysterol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Read Before You Embark On Your Journey This Yuletide Season by milestonejnr(m): 7:56am On Dec 24, 2015
Having a car of your own gives one kind good feeling I really can’t explain. There are several varieties of cars and most people and families would like to own one regardless the stiff economic situation of the country. This car people often thank God when they acquire has made many families bereaved of their loved ones due to road accident.

There are other forms of transportation here in Nigeria, but transportation by road is widely used other than by air and water bodies. I’m so concerned about road transportation because of every 10 Nigerians, 8 travels by road. Individual use this particular means to transport themselves, their goods and services within the country.

Before we go further on the topic we are here for, let’s take a look at some statistics.

It shouldn’t be news to you that after Boko Haram insurgency, road accident is the second highest source of violent death in Nigeria. Among the 193 countries of the world, Nigeria ranked second-highest in the rate of road accident.

In the year 2007, World Bank ranked the number of vehicles per 1000 inhabitants in various countries and Nigeria ranked 143 with 31 cars per 1000 inhabitants. Imagine what it would look like this 2015 with adequate data. I believe there are more vehicles on the road lately, and more vehicles on the road leads to more exposure and increase in road accident (imagine if there are only 100 cars in your state; there won’t be much accidents).

In the year 2013, 6450 Nigerians lost their lives on Nigerian roads due to accident. Splitting this, you get 4552 men; 1398 women; 299 boys and 201 girls. Just imagine the huge number. Also between 2009 and 2013, records have it that 30,435 people were killed on road accident in Nigeria.

The sad truth is that people die almost every day on our Nigeria roads and more are bound to occur due to human factors, mechanical factors, and environmental factors. In as much more trained FRSC members are needed in order to enforce the law, we won’t fold our arms and comfortably watch our loved ones die because the law enforcement agents are not there. I believe there are some things that could be done by you reading this. Don’t allow lives to be lost for reasons that could have been easily controlled. Every day many of our fellow human beings get paralyzed, injured, disfigured for life and many others killed. Accidents rarely give a warning about its occurrence. It just happens.

Below are the advises I have for everybody especially this Yuletide season.

1.) Be very careful on the public transport you use.

It is good you know that commercial vehicles constitutes the highest number of accidents and records the number of death. Always use commercial vehicles with good reputation and low record of accidents. Use buses which have their speed regulated. Speed kills.

2.) Avoid anything that has to do with alcohol if you must drive.

Driving under the influence of alcohol changes the right functionality of the human body. It makes the victim react slowly to things; causes impaired coordination; makes you act inappropriately etc.

Alcohol is known for the cause of accident globally. It is also appalling that this ‘killer liquid’ is readily available in almost every motor pack across the country.

DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE

3.) Don’t travel with that you road unworthy vehicle.

You don’t need to prove your managerial dexterity when it comes to the car you will use in traveling. Don’t say you’re going to manage the faulty brakes, bad tires, ineffective lights etc. Even if you are not so much concerned about your own life, try considering others in your car and on the same road with you.

Don’t be the dangerous driver. Avoid masking unnecessary overtakes, over-speeding, or even sleeping while driving. Take enough rest before you embark on your journey.

4.) Be a smart pedestrian.

Even you that is not in any car but walking with your ‘legedis benz’ is prone to accident. Remember there are drivers that don’t even have common sense talk more of having good driving sense. You have to be very careful and much more aware of your environment.

It is advised you walk facing the oncoming traffic and you should get as far to the side of the road as possible in order to provide additional space between you and oncoming cars. This is enables you to have eye contact with approaching motorists. You can as well make quick judgement on how to protect yourself. Keep the volume of your earpiece low too.

5.) It is not advisable to ply the road you really don’t know at night. Take off during the day to avoid night journey

6,)Make fire extinguishers readily available in your car in case of fire outbreak.

7.) Always drive with your seat-belt on. It can save your life and can reduce the fatality of the accident.

8,) Avoid all forms of distraction while driving. Guys should forget looking at those girls on the road and concentrate on their driving. All these nagging women and girls should also leave the driver alone.

9.) Don’t hit the highway if you can’t drive. Highway isn’t a good place to learn how to drive.

10.) Be careful about the foggy atmosphere this harmattan. It is advisable you drive with your headlamps on because of the poor vision.

11.) God will forever be the ultimate. Don’t forget to commit your journey into his able hands.

I wish you all a merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year

SOURCE: http://www.gistalive.com/2015/12/24/advise-to-commuters-this-yuletide-season/

1 Like

Re: Read Before You Embark On Your Journey This Yuletide Season by 2best(m): 8:29am On Dec 24, 2015
Without No.11, there's no No.1 to No.10
Lovely piece by the way.

(1) (Reply)

Peace Mass Transit / I Can't Find My Immunization Card And I Need It Urgently / How Much To Does It Take To Apply For Russia Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.