Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,300 members, 7,780,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:04 PM

A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos (14910 Views)

The 10 Commandments Of Buying Land In Nigeria / The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof / Real Estate Topic Library (Must Read Before You Buy Any Land Or Property) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by lawyer(m): 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2009
DO’S AND DON’TS OF BUYING A LAND OR PROPERTY IN LAGOS:

Every day i get emails or phone Calls about the best way to buy a land in Lagos and the best way to go about it where you can buy it legally and avoid fraudsters. Well i have complied all your queries and questions and i will explain everything from the beginning to the end in a very simplified manner to help aid you in making your dreams come true without any hassles.

So Get your Coffees, Pencil and Paper and Read this very Thoroughly as if your Writing an Exam. If you can't finish it, Pause and Come back! No more being defrauded in Land Matters or you dont know what it entails to buy a land free from Wahala or Legal Problems grin

[size=18pt]CHAPTER 1[/size]

QUESTION: Lawyer, i have sat down, prayed for it and have raised some money and i desperately want to buy a land in Lagos but i am scared of falling into the wrong hands. Where do i start and what do i do first?

ANSWER: Firstly, congratulations on taking that big step to become a land owner. Its is the greatest beneficiary that you can ever own and possess which will continue to appreciate in value and something you can leave for your children which they will remember you for in eternity.

Its more valuable than clothes, cars and other accessories because, you will never have to pay any Landlord again to provide shelter for your self and family and your land will continue to appreciate in terms of value forever to provide other sources of income. So once more i congratulate you.

Now that you are ready,  the first thing you have to do is to decide where you would want to have your land located that you intend to purchase. Lagos State has 57 Local governments and Development Councils and virtually everywhere you look and go, you will see that it is fully occupied with houses, good and bad.

Location determines so many things when buying a land or property because you have to take into consideration so many things e.g accessibility to your place of work, your school or children’s school, accessibility to basic amenities, good road network and a host of many things. E.G, IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE  TO HAVE YOUR PLACE OF WORK IN VICTORIA ISLAND AND YOU INTEND TO BUY A LAND IN BADAGRY TO BUILD AND LIVE. Its just not feasible for you to be able to cope with the traffic gridlock, stress and time involved in shuttling around especially when you have to build and supervise. You will probably die of stress and exhaustion before the property has been completed. So Location is your number one factor or choice when you want to buy a house.

QUESTION: Okay Lawyer, i understand that location plays a big role and although i work in Ikoyi with a corporate firm and i will like to stay within that area and buy a property but my budget is only N3Million. How is that possible because i heard lands in Ikoyi or Victoria Island go for above N100 million. How can i eat my cake and have it. Does that mean until i have N100Million before i can buy a land in a good area?

ANSWER: No you don’t have to have N100Million before you can buy a land in Victoria Island or Ikoyi. What you have to understand is that in any environment, there are places called “High Catchment Areas” , Middle Catchment Areas and “Low Catchment Areas”.

A High catchment area is an area where you have a lot of amenities and infrastructure put in place and are preferred by a certain class of people because of the serenity, comfort and network of activities within that area. Areas like Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Apapa, Banana Estate, Ikeja GRA, Opebi, Maryland, Gbagada, Festac Phase 2 etc all belong to the High catchment areas and because of the inherent infrastructures there, people are willing to pay a high premium price to enjoy that serenity. Its the government that decides to invest heavily in those areas to provide maximum comfort for its residents and therefore it places a hugh price tag for people to acquire the lands there. Bottom Line, its all about status thats why the price of getting a land there is above N50Million. 10 years ago, you could buy a land in Victoria Island for N8-N10million but today its above N100million and in the next 10 years that same plot of land will be above N500Million.

Middle Catchment Areas are areas that have a lot of good infrastructures but are also mixed with residents that are middle income earners or low income earners. Places like Lekki Phase 2, Surulere,, yaba, ikorodu etc. They have both the trappings of High Catchment Areas but are also besieged with poor infrastructure and a very high density of people clustered together. You will always see them divided into estates or communities trying to segregate themselves from the low income earners and prices of Land there can be between N5Million to N40million.

The low Catchment Areas as the name implies means there is a dearth of Infrastructure which makes it difficult for the inhabitants to really enjoy their homes and its very heavily populated. Being a low catchment area doesn’t mean its a place meant for the poor, on the contrary, a lot of successful people have lands there. It only means that instead of the government to provide the amenities desired, the community has to contribute money more than often to repair the roads, the estates, provide lightening etc but make no mistake about it, these so called catchment areas that were once looked down upon by people are now being sought after daily and the price keeps shooting up.

Example:
I remember my mom bought a land in Idimu for N5,000 somewhere in the early 90’s and we  were all complaining furiously why she should buy a land in a jungle where there were more accessible places like Isolo, Okota, Ajao Estate. 15 years later, that so called Jungle has turned into a swanky estate and a plot of land goes for above N15Million a pop. By the year 2020, i don’t know what that place will cost but i am sure N25Million wont be a bad estimate

So back to your question, it will be advisable not to look at Victoria Island but the closest Middle Catchment Area that is accessible to Ikoyi and i mean areas like Lekki Phase 2/Ajah/Badore/Ogombo/Okun Ajah/ Iran Nla/ Sangotedo etc. They might look quite far from Victoria Island Today but with the road expansions and link roads being developed by the government, it should take approximately 10 minutes to get to Ikoyi and your house very soon and the price of that place will definitely jump quadruple in the next 3 to 5 years. You just have to be patient. Rome wasn’t built in a day but at the end of the day, the wait will be worth it because development and expansion is a necessity and must and you and your family will be the greatest beneficiaries in future.

Example:
I asked my office landlord who has 2 huge storey building structures in the heartland of Opebi Ikeja how he was able to acquire these properties. He told me that he bought those 6 plots of land in the early 80’s for N10,000 and he even borrowed to buy it. He told me that his friends discouraged him from buying it because that place was a jungle and his mates where in Festac or Ikoyi but he decided to take the risk and build it quietly and didn’t even know that there were plans to turned that place into a commercial business district and he built a small bungalow there to reside because his previous landlord was killing him with rent. When he heard the masterplan was to turn Opebi/Allen to a commercial district, he had to look for money to start building the storey buildings which he did for almost 8 years with his little funds.

Fastforward to 2009, my landlord has almost 50 office space to let combined in the 2 story buildings and 2 warehouse ground floors which he rents one to a bank and the other one to a big fast food restaurant. Each Office Space goes for Minimum N350,000 a year. Do the maths times 50 offices and calaculate how much he gets for the bank and fast food joint a year.
So don’t ever despair that where you have purchased isn’t habitable or profitable in future because you never know tomorrow and how lucky you might be above anyone else.

The basic truth is that children will grow up to be adults, people will always migrate, people will always want shelter and comfort and places that were hereto known as bushes or too far end up becoming high catchment areas eg Isheri Olofin, Okooba, Ikotun, Akowonjo, Ikorodu and in the forceeable future lands across the lekki/epe express road.

QUESTION: Okay, i have grasped the sense in buying a land that is accessible to my work place within my budget and i know tomorrow will be a better day, so what next do i do?

ANSWER: The next thing is to start shopping for estate agents, buying property bulletin newspapers, check nairaland properties for sale and begin to peruse all of them to see where you might get a land or property within your budget . Just the way you would go to a market and price and price and look for the best deal and product, thats the way you would continue to shop and price with agents till you are satisfied. NEVER EVER LET AN ESTATE AGENT RUSH YOU INTO BUYING HIS PROPERTY! angry

An agent is only out for his commission and will do anything to sell that land to you but you must learn to haggle and ask questions and continue to ask Questions to know more about the area, location, accessibility, the asking price, the price of other lands around it and any legal problems or liens attached to the land.

When ever you are asking an agent about the property and you are forceful to get answers and you notice the agent is either hiding information, getting angry at you for asking too much questions, being grumpy that you are probing him to cautiously, that is a red flag sign for you to cut off with that agent and move to the next one.

An agent that is not ready to provide you will 100% valid and concrete answers is not ready to deal with you truthfully and that’s usually the first stage of being defrauded in a land transaction. Just like a sales man that comes into your office and is angry with you for probing too much about his company is just the same way you must be forthright when asking them questions. Never leave out any detail and continue to probe. If your not satisfied, just walk away and ring up the next agent. The land the agent probably wanted to sell to you was extremely desirious in your eyes and to you worth the money but that same land is fraught with a lot of booby traps and wahala that your head can’t carry in future and once you pay him, its bye-bye. No refund.

So it is always advisable to have 3 or more agents to cross check and investigate their lands thoroughly before you settle for one.

QUESTION: Whoa slow down lawyer, there are so many things you have revealed that i am confused about.

1. How do i identify an Agent and know which one is fake or real?

2. What kind of questions do i ask him about the land in question?

3. How do i go about chasing agents and investigating lands because i really don’t have the time besides i am in New york but i need a land badly.

4. Also i met one agent and he told me about a land that i might like but he told me that 2 other people are interested in that land and i have to pay immediately. What can i do?

ANSWER: Okay let me take them one by one:

1.  How do i identify an Agent and know which one is fake or real?

To be truthful, its not the easiest job on the planet to differentiate between all the accredited agents and the quacks but there are subtle signs for you to know which is which. They are divided into these various categories:

a. Registered Estate Surveyors and Valuers: These group of Agents have a nationally recognized body saddled with the role of valuing properties and selling lands. They are usually accredited with the national body and recognized and they are USUALLY the best source to go to for a property sale because they are recognized and have a large volume of properties for sale. They are usually trustworthy because of their intergrity which they need to protect and experience and they include the famous ones like Jide taiwo, diya fatimlehin &co, Paul Osuji, Bola Onabanjo etc. The disadavantage of using them is that because of their excellent and premium services, you have to pay huge commissions to them and its a choice people prefer so that they can sleep well at night.

b. DIRECT AGENTS: Direct Agents are Agents that have a first hand direct contact with the seller of the property.

E.g  I have a land to sell and i contact Mukina 2 to help me find a buyer for the land and will pay her commission for marketing it and finding a buyer. Mukina 2 automatically becomes the direct agent to me the owner of the property because i the owner of the property has contracted her to sell it. In return, Mukina2 will ask me to draft a power of Attorney in her name giving her the right to market the Property and finding a buyer in exchange for a commission if the sale goes through.

c. THIRD PARTY AGENTS: A third party Agent is an Agent who has no direct contact with me the owner of the land but has a friendly or cordial relationship with the direct Agent Mukina 2. Mukina 2 then instructs the third party agent lets say Debosky as the third party agent to also scout for buyers to buy my property in exchange, Whenever there is a sale, the commission Mukina 2 gets directly from me the seller would be split between Mukina and Debosky.

Remember that me as the owner of the property has no direct relationship or contact with Debosky and if i am dealing with anyone, its Mukina first and foremost and i have no obligation to Debosky even though it was Debosky that brought the buyer and its between Mukina 2 and Debosky to share their commission and if anything goes wrong, its Mukina2 that should be held accountable because i didn’t instruct her to delegate duties except she told me in advance that she intends to do so.

d. FOURTH PARTY AGENTS: A fourth party agent is one who is friends with Debosky the third party agent and 2 of them end up discussing the property sale and Debosky instructs that fourth party lets say his name is Promise72. Promise 72 goes out to discuss the sale with another agent H$LBroker and instructs him to find a buyer and H$LBroker discusses with Spikecylinder and Mr Crackles and Mr Crackles ends up getting a buyer all the way from Ireland to buy the land and the buyer is interested.

Remember now there is a very very Huge Chain Involved in that sale in respect of the Agents involved. From the last count we have 6 Agents all involved in the sale for just one property i.e Mukina 2, > Debosky, > Promise72, >H$LBroker. . . .>Spiked Cylinder, >Mr Crackles.

I as the owner of the property is only responsible to Mukina 2 and Mukina 2 is only Responsible to Debosky and Debosky is responsible to the rest.

[b]1. Now its from this Chain you begin to know who is who and how influential and trustworthy they are in respect of the sale. Most Agents until you probe them won’t tell you they are either third party or fourth party Agents. This is usually the first way to determine who they are.

2. Most agents apart from the direct Agent won’t have the certified true copy of the land documents in their possession for inspection and investigation. Rather they will have photocopies of bits and pieces of the documents in their possession to use and market the property. Because of the loose and careless way some agents are, these photocopies of the documents always end up in the hands of the wrong person who would come out to claim that they are the original and direct Agents and this is stage 2 of being defrauded.

3. Most 3rd party Agents don’t know the history of the property, the address or the landlord of the house. They only know how much the land is going for and the documents involved and usually are in possession of bits and pieces of information of the property because they even don’t have access to the direct Agent talkless of the real owner.

4. Most of the Fourth Party Agents can’t take you to meet the direct owner and will give you all sorts of excuses to avoid taking you to meet the land owner. This is stage 3 step of being defrauded. How can you sell what you don’t have?[/b]

I’ll give you a classic true story example.

There was this Client from Nairaland i was representing to buy a property for wink. He met the agent online and they were into intensive discussion even before i was contacted and he kept on assuring the Client that the property was genuine and he was the direct Agent to the seller of the property. The moment i was contracted to follow up the due diligence, Wahala and Trouble started for the agent because i began to do the follow up investigation. While the property in question existed because i inspected it 2 times and did a follow up search at the Land Registry which showed the property indeed was existing with a C/O, the problem came when i said i wanted to see the owner of the property physically.

Unknown to the agent, he didn’t know that at the land registry there is a picture of every body who has a property registered as a certificate of occupancy and you have to do diligent search to get a copy of that picture which i deliberately hid from the Agent.

The Agent kept on telling me that he had the power of Attorney to sell the property on behalf of the owner because the Owner travelled to Scotland and she was desirious of selling it quickly and she wont be back before March. This was sometime last Year December and i told the Agent that When the woman comes back, he should call me and we will take it up from there.

The Agent warned me that by that time the property would have been sold and i ended up telling him to sell it to who ever but if it is still available by March when the woman comes, he should get in touch.
The client was apprehensive that the property will go because he liked it and wanted to buy it but i counselled him to excercise patience and see what will happen and if it goes, we would find a better one. By the first week of January, the Agent called me again and said that the owner decided to come back to Nigeria to come and conclude the transaction  personally and she didn’t want to wait till April. At this point i laughed because i knew one beautiful drama was coming up and i wanted to witness it to the very end.   

When i met the agent, he told me that the owner wanted me to draft a letter of offer and deposit it with her lawyer so that we take it up from there. I said good, lawyers are good things, so i drafted the letter and arranged to meet the lawyer personally. The next day, the Agent called that i can’t meet the lawyer again because he had a case in portharcourt but he will take me to meet the woman but i have to excercise patience since the woman is in Abuja. I just kept on laughing and meanwhile he was still encouraging me to deal with him personally and kept on showing me documents about the land.

I played the fool until a week later he said he was ready to take me to meet the owner in Ikoyi. We went to Ikoyi and after 30 minutes, a woman came out introducing herself as the owner. Unknown to her, i had already crammed the face of the woman in the c/o thoroughly and trust me, they weren’t identical in what ever manner and form. I listened to her and kept my cool and knew i was about to be scammed but i had the better of them. She now told me to wait for her lawyer to come back in two weeks time so that they can finalize everything. I took the lawyers credentials reluctantly and immediately called the number on the card to confirm. A man answered me and said it was true that he is the lawyer in charge but he is in markurdi doing a case but he will be back next week (Notice how Portharcourt changed to Markudi and 2 weeks time change to next week) grin?

I decided to go straight to the lawyer’s office to make more inquiries. When i got there, i said i wanted to buy a land and described the same property. All of a sudden a big hefty lawyer came out to shake me saying he is the lawyer in charge of the property and his client wants to sell the land but he has the power of attorney to sell it and showed it to me. He asked me how i knew about the property and his office, i then related the whole story to him. When he listened to me thoroughly, he advised me to bring the agent to his office. The next day, i called the agent that my client was ready to pay but we have to get authorization from his accountant. The Agent hurriedly followed me and when he got there, he realised the game was up.

Apparently the lawyer’s clerk had the opportunity to see the documents of the property for sale that my Client was interested in and he hurriedly told his friends that he had a land to sell personally and a friend of the clerk contact this Agent and gave him photocopies of the land documents and he began to parade himself as the owner and when he found my client as a potential buyer, he quickly organized his friends to play the part of the Owner and the Owner’s lawyer. The real Lawyer quickly interrogated the Agent in my presecence about how he know about the documents and whether he has met the owner before or himself which he denied knowing anybody except the clerk’s friend. He didn’t even know the clerk personally to make matters worse. It was at this juncture i advised my client to forget the whole property for sale and i wont prosecute that transaction because foul play smells stinkingly around it. Today he is a proud owner of a peaceful beautiful home where he can sleep for the next 100 years without wahala. Bottom line never ever be afraid to investigate what you want to buy.One mistake and your doomed for life!    Always ask for the certified true copy of the documents for inspection and ask who the direct Agent is so that you can interrogate him more.

QUESTION 2: What kind of questions do i ask him about the land in question?

ANSWER: Plenty Questions. Start with anything or about anything to get to know him personally. Study his character, his movements, his words and get to know the history about the property. Most smooth talkers will probably smooth your way into hell. Always be very sceptical and never optimistic. Study his complimenatary cards, his office (Know his office) look at it whether it is sparsely furnished made for a quick business to close immediately after you have been scammed. Let them tell you every thing about the land and the documents. Get to know their relationship with the land owner so that you can easily discern which party they are either 1st, 2nd, third or fourth party agents. Until you get to the direct agent leading to the owner, always take everything with a pinch of salt.

Collect the photocopies of the document and keep them to hand over to your lawyer to do the search if it exists or not. Never ever skimp or feel stingy over due process search fees. It could either make or mar you. Once you get to the land in question, feel free to feel at home since it might be your new home to consult with the neighbours and get to know more about the landlord or the history of the area. Never feel shy or timid to do that unless your shyness will lead you to hell on earth. They probably know better than the agent so its your first call to discover who the true landlord is.

If your not satisfied after all this walk away. Lagos has Millions of land waiting for someone to buy it.Its not by force to buy that particular Agents own.

QUESTION 3: How do i go about chasing agents and investigating lands because i really don’t have the time besides i am in New york but i need a land badly.

ANSWER: Well scout for People you trust and Property Lawyers who know their Onions and are ready to  stick to their principles and do due diligence. Also ask these Lawyers for references and ask Thousands of Questions just the way you would ask Agents Questions. Always document everything emails, phone calls, text messages, recipets everything. Never just hook up to anybody or lawyer without checking that person. We have loads of shady people including lawyers.

I’ll give you an example of how some lawyers would treat your manner and in no circumstances should you condone such nonsense. E.g for a C/O or Governor’s consent search, he should show you the recipet and give you a detailed explanation of the report of the C/O at the land registry in writing either via email or through a letter. Some lawyers just collect the money and after 2 hours call the person that the C/O is a good title and walk away with the money not minding whether it is defective or there is a problem.

Some lawyers never visit the property physically to inspect it themselves and give their own professional opinion. Thats not a god thing because the client rests his opinion on the lawyer’s observations. undecided

Some lawyers never seem to interrogate the Agent or Landlord to get to the root of the matter to know who is lying and who is being truthful and would just recommend anything to get their commission. undecided

Some lawyers don’t even know how to detect a fraudulent surveyplan and how to read one talkless of advising the client on what steps the client should take with the survey plan. Ignore such people from day one. undecided

Some lawyers don’t even know where the property they want to buy on behalf of their client is and would just take a sample document of a property sold adjacent to that house, photocopy it and appendix their signature and walk away with their 10%. Thats not good. Never allow a lawyer take you through that joy ride.  undecided

He/She must earn her legal fees 120%.

A person like me will take you through the whole process and fulfil your job till your satisfied before i get paid. Any lawyer asking you for immediate money or deposit for this or that without completing the job is just a hack. No work no Fees. If they continue to barge you about money from day one, know your dealing with a shark and from there onwards, i can’t shout!

QUESTION: 4. Also i met one agent and he told me about a land that i might like but he told me that 2 other people are interested in that land and i have to pay immediately. What can i do?

Tell him to go and sell it to those people and you wont buy it until you have finished your due diligence angry.

Never part with Money or deposit till you are sure the property is free from defect and you have done the Investigation and its only when your ready to do the survey of the land that you pay a 10% deposit to secure the place until the surveyor is through before the rest is being transfered to you.

Never ever feel threatened or harassed with that line “ Other people are interested in the property and are ready to buy it immediately” Trust me, if there were other people interested in it, he wont be selling it to you but to the other person or he intends to make a larger commission off you by increasing the price. If not, go at your own pace and money. That land will still be there if it is truely yours.

QUESTION: Okay Lawyer, I get the way Estate Agents work, but i have only N2 Million what and where can i get a land i like within that Price and within a location that is not too far?

ANSWER: There are so many Places to shop for Lands either on the Mainland and Island for lands under Budget. The mainland is clustered and its unless you get into the depths of Mainland Lagos before you see a land of that price but right now the

Lekki /Ajah Express way has lands within N1Million to N5million Max within Budget. The places i know personally that i have seen physically that you can get a plot of Land for N1.8million, N2million, N3Million etc include [b]Okun Ajah,Lands besides Alpha Beach, Ogombo and Sangotedo with a Global C/O. For those that don’t know these places, it starts from 3 minutes after Victoria Garden City, After the Ajah Garage Round About, After Abraham Adesanya Estate but before Lagos Business School and beyond. The further you go up till Eleko, you will see lands for N500,000 Because development is a little bit slow but by Next year, i know it will rise 50 times higher because of this Eko Atlantic City thing they want to do from Late this year. So it depends on the agent you meet and negotiate with who will sell it to you at a favourable price[/b] but be careful to avoid greedy agents who want to capitalise on the Eko Atlantic Thing and triple the price. Ask questions and seek good counsel before you proceed to negotiate pricing.

QUESTION: Okay, i am interested in Buying a Land in Ogombo with N2.5Maximum and i have investigated it and it seems okay, should i now write my check to the Agent?

ANSWER: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! shocked

Dont even try it by mistake! What do you mean you have done your investigation and your ready to pay him? angry

Trust me. All the investigations you have done personally is just a stage one Investigation to know more about the property and landlord. Your not even half way there yet! You have to understand the tricks and title a property has before you even attempt to part with your hard earned money and everything can be traced back to the LAND USE ACT OF 1978.

The LAND USE ACT VESTS LAND IN THE HANDS OF THE GOVERNOR and no one else. (Learn How the Land Use Act Affects you)

This gives the governor the power to allocate Land to who so ever as long as they have completed the due process with the Land Registry. Now Lagos is a big state with so many traditional families that own and have excercised dominion over these lands for Hundreds and Thousands of Years and these lands were obtained from their forefathers either through family succession, conquests in wars, land disputes, court grants and orders and gifts.

So before the land use act, the different families would sell land arbitrarily to who ever they want and still lay claim to portions of it but with the Land Use Act in 1978, Property became vested in the Governor of the state and its the Governors that gives anybody the right of occupancy for you to have that land, no longer the traditional families as the last bustop. With this in Mind, the Military administrators took advantage of this law and began to reclaim lands under the name of the governor and for you to own it, you had to go through the governor.

This led to the Maroko example that has transformed into Lekki Phase 1 and a host of other areas in Lagos. In return for seizing or forcefully taking the lands, the government is required to pay compensation to the land owners or resettle the displaced owners and in most situation, the government doesn’t settle the land owners because they bring out a clause from the land use act that all lands must be registered before they can claim compensation.

This led to a loud outcry by the traditional families who have excercised total dominion over these lands and they were the worst hit and had to take the government to court, argue, fight and scream at each other until they came to a reasonable conclusion that works well with all parties.

Result of the Outcome of the Land Use Act and The Families and How it Affects you in buying a Land in Lagos:

1. Government was still the owner of all the lands but it will excise some lands to the traditional family. This excised lands means they are free from Government acquisition in future and the traditional Families have total control over the sale of those lands. Lands that the government has plans to develop in future such as the Eko Atlantic City, Lands where the Government intends to create Bridges, Pass Pipeline or Power lines etc will be acquired in advance and will not be suitable for sale because they have plans to use those places. So because of that, they call places like that Under Government Acquisition.

2. In return, the Government will publish a gazette from time to time showing which lands have been excised and given to the family and community and which ones are under government Acquisition.

3. These Lands that are free from Acquisition gives the family the right to sell these lands to who whatso ever but with a clause. They are to issue the buyer a proof of family receipt directly from the family and sign the Form 1c. The Form 1c is a document a property owner who intends to sell his property to another person must have and be signed by the family unless the government will never recognize that a sale has taken place and can acquire it at anytime because they is no proof at the land registry that such a person has come to register it.

4. With this arrangement, the family and the government is happy because they will get their money for the sale of the land and for signing the documents and the government is happy too because you will have to come and perfect your title.

Now with this small History, you now see why it is important to know the family selling to you and the kind of receipt they are going to give you.
Every good thing surely has bad influences around, thats where the Omonile Factor comes in. Because people don’t do diligence and know who to investigate who and who is a member of the original family, they resort to doing business with crooks who claim to be the representatives of the family and they end up giving them money and the omoniles issue them fake and unsubstantiated receipts and when they get to the land registry, it will show that the receipt is fake and has no standing to perfect the title and to trace the omonile and money back is a major problem.

The due diligence in scouting for the family is one of the most difficult things to do on the planet and the lawyer doing it for you must have spare time on his hands to devote that time to you. Before a receipt or land document is declared to be valid, the HEAD OF THE FAMILY AND SECRETARY of the family must sign it. One cannot sign in the absence of another for it to be valid. They have to be the true members of the family before they can issue you a recipet.

Also the some families who had 100s of Hectares of Land went to the governor to ask for their lands to be excised and gazetted. While the governor might take 20 hectares of Land from them and leave 80 hectares (An Acre is 6 plots and a Hectare is 16 plots) for the family, the governor might decide to help them perfect their documents at once and issue them one C/O covering the whole 80 Hectares of Land. So anybody buying within that 80 Hectares automatically has a C/O in his name and the recipet from the original family members they could be up to 20 signatories depending on the area and number of families that the C/O covers and the deed of assignment signed by them and the Form 1c. If one signatory is missing, there is no valid transfer to possession of the land. (They are that strict).

So now that you know the basics of the family these are the steps to take before buying a Land in Lagos:

Step 1 You have to first and fore most discover who the family is, know who is who, determine if the place already has a global c/o (Which in my own opinion is usually the best lands to buy), get them to agree to sign the form 1c, deed of assignment and recipet, agree on the price apart from the price of buying the land for the family to sign the recipet and form 1 c and move to step 2. wink

Step 2 involves doing a search at the land registry to discover whether the survey plan and the other documents tally and are not under government acquisition.(Very Important Unless Omo-Onile will eat you raw here!)

Step 3 involves confirming it is free and negotiating the last price for the property and the signing of the documents.

Step 4 Involves getting the surveyor (Better an Alausa Surveyor in my own opinion) to come and survey the place and map it out to do your survey in your own name. It usually Costs between N120,000-N120,000 for the survey plans. No pricing. The price is fixed except your son is a surveyor in Alausa. In return your entitled to 7 copies of the survey plan and six will be returned to you. 2 in cloth copy and 4 in paper form while the last one will be lodged at the Land registry and charted. This copy is known as the red copy and you cannot perfect your documents without that red copy in Alausa. If you haven’t done it and it has no record there, to do the charting will costs you some heavy money. So its better to do it once and for all using a certified professional.

After that, the Surveyor must come to the land in question and place the beacons around the 4 corners of the land. Those beacons show that the corners of your land and measurement and nobody on this planet can lay claim to it except you.

5. Step  Involves drafting of the deed of assignment, purchase recipet and purchase agreement for the families to sign and the form 1c.
Step 6. When the families have finished signing all the documents in exchange for the fees they demanded then your the proud owner of a land in lagos after they have been handed over to you.

Step 7: You now deal with when and how you are ready to perfect your title by either doing the c/o or governor’s consent to know which one is applicable.

Step 8: You send my invitation letter to come for the house warming and plate of Rice. . . lol!    grin

Am very Tired Now! I'll work on Chapter 2 Concerning Why it makes sense to buy a Land with a Global C/o instead of a property with just only Survey Plan and Deed of Assignment Unregistered so that you can save money and legal Problems!

Comments and Questions are truely Welcome! wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by Sholeyb: 8:31pm On Jun 10, 2009
God bless you, people like you are rare. Nicely done.
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by yanka: 11:10am On Jun 11, 2009
Lawyer,

Read your very interesting piece. I have recently visited Masters Golden city at Ofada, like what i see and about to part with 700,000 for a plot of land. Been to the address Sim properties have advertised on their website (Magaodo) as their office. They will give me 2 copies of deed of lease and a purchase receipt.

Is there anything else to look out for b4 parting with the money ?
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by ajileko: 4:25pm On Jun 11, 2009
@lawyer, I have a piece of land with a global C of O and the true certified copy. My question is can I apply for a building permit and start building ?
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by Nimshi: 12:12pm On Jun 12, 2009
Lawyer is online o!

Barrister, welcome.
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by lawyer(m): 2:37pm On Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for the kind comments and to answer your questions:

yanka:

Lawyer,

Read your very interesting piece. I have recently visited Masters Golden city at Ofada, like what i see and about to part with 700,000 for a plot of land. Been to the address Sim properties have advertised on their website (Magaodo) as their office. They will give me 2 copies of deed of lease and a purchase receipt.

Is there anything else to look out for b4 parting with the money ?

Hi Yanka,

As per your Masters Golden City at Ofada, very soon i am going to give a very damning report about those properties for sale in that axis and be as objective and yet truthful in respect of what is going on there and the level of misrepresentation going on but while some of them are still legally run, i will advise for you to inspect the place thoroughly and physically yourself and see the plot your being given and also in respect of the survey plan they want to give you, take your own surveyor there to map it out for you if need be and ask them for the following documents:

1. Copy of the Gazette where the large expanse of land has been handed over to them by the family and with the assent of the governor (Ogun state)

2. Deed of Assignment and not deed of lease because i dont know why they are leasing you a land that you have bought outrightly from them except they intend to take it away from you in future after your lease is up.

3. Survey plan (at least 6 copies with one logged in the surveyor general's office in Abeokuta)

4. Original Reciept signed by the company ie sim properties to you

But as a caveat be very careful in the mowe /ofada axis before you purchase a land there. Very Soon i am going to give my own report and reasons why that place should be thorougly regulated because a lot of half-truths and misrepresentation is abound there. So Oga Yanka be very careful!

ajileko:

@lawyer, I have a piece of land with a global C of O and the true certified copy. My question is can I apply for a building permit and start building ?

No problem Sir, Carry Go!

The best lands to buy in Lagos are usually the ones with a global C/O and it saves you the stress of getting one in your name and it covers you but it depends on how the lawyer investigates and researches it well enough to cover you in the deed of assignment.

So if you have the global C/O, there is nothing stopping you from getting your approved building plans. I even contacted a source in Alausa to Confirm again and it said it was valid but there are certain things that must accompany it.

1. The original recipet from the family

2. The survey plan in your name

3. The deed of assignment showing and stating the global C/O has been covered in your name including the beacon numbers

4. A copy of the C/O

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by ajileko: 5:21pm On Jun 12, 2009
Thanks lawyer for taking the time and checking this for me. I'm sure there are more folks in my shoe on this forum.
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by yanka: 6:28pm On Jun 12, 2009
@Lawyer,

Thanks very much. Well appreciated.
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by deledele: 11:44pm On Jun 12, 2009
My word, Lawyer you are doing a good job here like oyinbo man go say top dog!! I must get in touch with you soon. wink
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by ozenyen(m): 1:44pm On Jul 01, 2009
The law many thanks for your piece.
Please where can i get an alausa surveyor?
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by thirdeye(m): 8:20pm On Jul 01, 2009
Another good one.
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by baby123: 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2009
lawyer what are the procedure in registring a building plan , i mean how much will it cost .
have gotten the letter of alocation , what i dont understand i thought the money i payed the governmet for the land includes the registration of the land but the guy that helped me out is now telling me i have to get a form of assestment to know how much to pay for the building plan .pls explain to me better .
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by OEO: 6:07pm On Jul 02, 2009
Lawyer.

thx for all yr advices. I bought a land for over 6yrs now in Ofada. I have fenced it. And I even have some sand and gravels on the land. I am about to start developing it. What and how can I get it approved? I have the survey plan that has bn submited at the Surveyoy-General office in Abeokuta. I also have the building plan, but i dont want to pay unnecessarily to the Council staffs that wl approve it. Pls help me!

mail me on jydewalker@yahoo.com

Thx 4 a very good job u've bn doing
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by AdornHomes(f): 4:55pm On Dec 07, 2009
@Lawyer,

Excellent Post.

Regards,

Adorn Homes Ltd
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by miracleday(f): 12:02am On Jan 13, 2010
please, i need a clue on how much it will cost to build a bungalow presently. ---l
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by PRD(m): 7:08pm On Jan 13, 2010
Lawyer, thanks for the eye opener, information is really power!
Please I need your assisstance, I bought a piece of land in 2007 in Sango Otta Ogun state.
It is located some few minutes after Canaan land. Farming operation has been done on the farm since then.
Now that there is a wild buzz on property, I intend to take the documentation to a reliable level.
I have the Form1c duely signed by the families involved, but I dont have a reciept, though the amount paid was stated in the form.
I have also done a survey in my name and registered and the Land Bureau of Ogun state with a reliable surveyor.
I intend to start the C of O process. Could you be of service on this?
Is there any other advice you would like to give?
Just to add that I hope constructing a fence to secure the land is not violating any procedure.
Please for personal queries, kindly get intouch with me on ppossession@yahoo.co.uk
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by Simmarco: 7:43pm On Jan 16, 2010
Hi lAWYER,

Nice job on your Posts

Next time you intend patronizing any Land Surveyor, We have a roll call of registered and legally authorized Land Surveyors to help you on any land or Property issue you might have.

For further inquiries, please contact HM Chariots Realities on 08033584111.

Cheers

Head of operations
HM Chariots
sUITE ff 16,
GOBI PLAZA,
ILE EPO ALAHJI B/STOP
EGBEDA, LAGOS
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by OJ2010: 10:14pm On Jan 16, 2010
Hello lawyer,
If one is buying land in Northen Foreshore please How can one do proper check on the said property?
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by lawyer(m): 12:09am On Jan 17, 2010
OJ2010:

Hello lawyer,
If one is buying land in Northen Foreshore please How can one do proper check on the said property?

Search in Northern Foreshore is as easy as they come.

1. It has a C/O

2. It is divided into proper schemes with layout so the copy of that survey plan scheme is in the surveyor general's office

So with good papers like this, everything is very simple to search.In fact its this kind of properties i love to search without any stress because i know it is there except its a 419 cloned document! grin
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by OJ2010: 12:46pm On Jan 17, 2010
Hello Lawyer,
Thank you very much for your time and a prompt response too.
Can i please have your private e-mail address so that we can discuss more?
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by invisible2(m): 3:15pm On Jan 17, 2010
God will bless you lawyer!
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by temiD2: 11:27am On Sep 14, 2011
Hello Lawyer,

I'd like to really appreciate your wonderful efforts in getting us more well informed about land issues. You can never imagine how many people you have saved from being defrauded. May God continue to empower you, amen

I recently went to see a plot of land with an agent in Awoyaya areaof Ajah, Lagos (opposite Greensprings International sch). Though I haven't made any commitment, I think I would like to go for it if confirmed ok.

Pls mail me on temiogun2008@yahoo.com as I require your expertise on this, thanks
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by IDERAWOLE(m): 12:20pm On May 04, 2012
@Lawyer;

Good day sir. Quite impressed with all the good works I've heard about you: our in-house lawyer. For those who understands the dynamics of life; when you help people get whatever they want in life; they in turn will do same for you to actualize your dream too.

I have a property for a client of mine that I want to sell. Please email me here so that we can market it to any of your clients that might be interested.

Following are the details:

Size: 667.5sqm
Title: Global C of O, with the assignment signed by 9 head-members of the RULING HOUSES.
Price: N3.5Million (ASKING)

You can reach me on 08063423482 OR wealthcreation2787@gmail.com
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by toondey1: 5:29pm On Apr 19, 2013
@Lawyer, u r blessed sir;
kindly let me have ur contact pls; toondeywealthy@yahoo.com
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by Nobody: 6:43am On May 31, 2013
grin

1 Like

Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by ny11: 2:07pm On Oct 30, 2013
Hi Surveyors,

What's the procedure for registering a survey to a new buyer where the former has a consent? Do u need an instruction from the seller to the office of surveyor General for a change?, does the surveyor of the buyer need to liaise with the surveyor of the seller before a change can be made? Is it possible to have a land with two different titled surveys at the Surveyor General's Office? Where does Change of Name apply as against Governor's Consent (On Lagos State Government's Ministry of Lands website, there's reference to Change of Name but not much on when it's applicable.
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by oludarekehinde(m): 11:29pm On Nov 18, 2013
Invest In New Lagos CBD. Buy a plot of Land in UPTOWN COURT Osoroko town along the Lekki Free Trade Zone road,  Ibeju lekki Lagos.

UPTOWN COURTS is a place for those that can see beyond their eyes. The estate is just the best place for investors. Whether you are looking for a place to invest into for the future or you are looking for a place of living and calling a home of yours, UPTOWN COURTS is just the right place for you!

Elegantly seated in a well cleared large expanse of land lying in Osoroko town along the Lekki Free Trade Zone road,  Ibeju lekki , UPTOWN COURTS is a place where you  can  put in your money and have rest of mind. It is fully secure and free from any form of encumbrance.

It is a mile from Dangote refinery and is graciously covered with a global C of O.  We offer 60ft by 100ft for a plot in UPTOWN COURTS and the estate is presently selling at N3.5m per plot. We also have half plots available and selling   for N1.8m.

Take this golden opportunity to invest in new Lagos & future of your children. It's just a place where you can settle down after your retirement.

For Inspection call Dare on +2348053690928
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by oludarekehinde(m): 8:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
DO YOU NEED A GENUINE & SECURE LAND
IN INVESTMENT HUB OF
LEKKI FREE TRADE ZONE AREA
Be the 1st to invest in NEW LAGOS.

* Dominion Garden City (DGC)
* Dominion Garden City Annex (DGC Annex)
* Folkland Estate Phase 1
* Folkland Estate Phase 2 &
* Folkland Estate Phase 3
Are all selling fast! (All in Ibeju Lekki)
For Inquiry & Inspection: Contact us today on
+2348053690928 OR +2348095018095
IN INVESTMENT HUB OF

IN INVESTMENT HUB OF

Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by wunmiplus(m): 10:46am On Jul 27, 2014
Half plot of land with 3 bedroom flat at foundation level for sale in Agura Ikorodu at give away price. Contact Wunmi Amusa & Co on 07055046440 or whatsapp 08028823040 asap.

We also have properties in other parts of lagos, Ikorodu in particular.
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by chuka2003(m): 6:45am On Aug 06, 2014
great write up... even though this was written over 5 years ago, it's still very much applicable till today. Thank you @lawyer; God bless you
Re: A-Z Of The Do’s And Don’ts Of Buying A Land Or Property In Lagos by oludarekehinde(m): 2:08pm On Aug 11, 2015
4 Bedrooms terrace for sale.

These Luxury 4 Bedrooms terrace house with boys quarter & state of art facilities, is well situated at Awoyaya, Ibeju-Lekki, facing lekki-epe express way & beside Coscharis motor, Ibeju lekki Lagos. TITTLE C of O, PRICE 16m

Contact Dare for details & Inspection on 08053690928 ; 08065738438

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fairly Used Furniture Someone? / WAZOBIA GARDENS PHASE 1. The New Price Will Amaze You / Tired Of Crazy Billing?? Use This Bill Calculator To Estimate Your Light Usuage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.