Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far (29371 Views)

Tecno Spark K7: Your Experience So Far And Rating / Is Gionee M5 The Beast?? / My Experience So Far With The Tecno L8 Plus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 9:49am On Dec 26, 2015
The gionee m5 sees gionee launch the marathon series of smartphones in the lower mid range category. This sees improvement in the build quality, display quality/size and the camera department. I'll dive in to these in detail as we go further. The marathon m5 stands out from the older generations of marathons.
I got my unit for ₦42k

Whats awesome
-5.5 inch 720p AMOLED screen with gorilla glass 3 protection
-6000mAh li-polymer battery with fast charging
-13 MP camera rear camera with FHD video recording 5MP selfie camera.
- amigo 3.1 UI (Lolipop 5.1)
-2GB
-IR blaster
-amigo 3.1. smoothest amigo UI yet.

Whats not great
The weight (for me this is absolutely no issue. Except you have very small hands.)

Hardware and design
It comes in black(ink blue back), white or gold . For some reason Nigeria isn't getting the gold version.

The m5 weighs 211g and  measures at 8.5 mm in thickness, which is surprising for a 6000 mAh battery smartphone in 2015.
The 4.7mm edges compensates for the weight giving it a somewhat slim profile.

The device has  a very solid case and we'll built (like a tank) and it feels strong .it features a non removable metal back cover. It has a metal frame and it's quite comfortable to use with one hand.

-There is a 5mp front camera
status LED
At the back there's a main camera s5k3m2 sensor found on the galaxy s4,
- secondary noise cancellation microphone which some OEMs leave out.
- At the top there’s the audio port, infrared emitter
- while at the bottom there's the microUSB port and primary  microphone.
-It comes with a non removable battery. The back cover is non removable too. Everything is sealed in.
-The dual micro Sim tray is in the left while the memory card expansion slot is on the right. Both accessible using a sim ejector tool provided in the box.

Again the marathon m5 is very slim for its BATTERY.
It's a well built and  once it's in the  hand it doesn't feel cheap at all.

Display
The generations of  marathon series has seen a gradual increase in the size Of its displays. With the release of the marathon m5 Plus,it's going to get bigger.

The m5 features a 5.5 inch AMOLED OGS panel, with a 1280 x 720 pixel resolution

The display is protected with corning gorilla glass 3 which is less prone to scratches (I personally removed the screen protector for this reason, I don't use cases too.)

It's also very bright which makes it VERY legible under direct sunlight. You don't have to squint to see what's on the screen when you are outdoors.
**this is a very big plus for this device.
 Overall, it's  very good display. AMOLED  is the way to go. I hope all OEMs adopt this too in their mid range devices.

audio quality
The hardware dts and smart audio amp  speakers  offers very loud and  clean sound output  and no muffled, distorted or  tiny sounds. Headphones bundled here have a long and anti tangle wire.
- They’re elegant, comfortable and offer great noise canceling and bass.
You don't need to be a audiophile to know how good the in-ear headphones are.

Battery and power consumption
As far as battery life goes. This device is a power bank. (literally).
After My normally daily moderate routine ;unplug at 7am. 3G on all day,surfing the web, auto brightness on, youtube, a few phone calls and a lot of texting (whatsapp and the rest)
I get average of 9-11 hours of screen on time.
I don't really game with my phone but for testing sake I tried out asphalt 8 for a few hours. The battery drop was very minimal. The same goes for other light games like candy crush and subway surf. You get the drift.

As for heating up.
From my observation The m5 only heats up (not burning heat) when I'm streaming videos for hours via mobile data while on WiFi the heat is almost non existent.
Let me announce that it heats up during the rapid charge stage 0-80%. But cools down when it is in the trickle charge stage 80-100%

It uses fast charge .
I got it from 0-100% in about 130-140 mins.
I wouldn't advice you charge it while using as the charging time will increase.
Just have patience. It'll fill up in no time then you can go back to whatever you were doing.
- standby time is also impressive. I go to bed , wake up in the morning. It looses just 1%.so if you are the busy type. you'll not have a any issue going with this phone for three days+ on a single charge.

performance
There's nothing much to say here.
The allocated  two 2GB of RAM holds up its own end .
Multitasking is seamless
no stutter when transitioning between home screens and the app drawer . You'll feel much at home with the stock launcher but I had to revert to my trusted nova launcher.

***The power saving modes do hinder the performance.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 9:56am On Dec 26, 2015
Finally

The camera
It features
a 13mp Samsung sensor(from the SG S4) with f/2.2 aperture with FHD video recording at 30Hz
  and a 5mp up front.

I'm guessing it's the same camera module found in the S plus.

What I noticed
-launching the camera is fast at 1-2 seconds
-when you are in the view finder you are greeted with a tonne of camera features
- auto focus works really well. Focusing on objects at less than 1/2 a second and also the same time between shots.
-pictures looks sharp and rich in detail.
-the flash is really bright.
-colours are punchy and accurate.

You'll have a fun time taking pictures with this phone no matter the lighting condition.

2 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 9:58am On Dec 26, 2015
More indoor samples

2 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 10:00am On Dec 26, 2015
Sure the highlight of the marathon m5 is its battery but that doesn't mean it didn't do well in other areas too.
So if you are having second thoughts. Just go get your hands on one. I'm sure you'll love it

selfie cam

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by donholy28(m): 10:04am On Dec 26, 2015
Ave used tecno,infinix and innjoo next year am switching to gionee

5 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Annkorede: 10:23am On Dec 26, 2015
Lol......go back to tecno
donholy28:
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by hatux: 11:41am On Dec 26, 2015
Hmm! Its quite awesome though...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by kayswag726: 2:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
wow cool review,,its still slim upon d big battery, getting dis device soon,wow and d front camera is very clear,just like some phone back camera

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by elnino3(m): 4:10pm On Dec 26, 2015
Totally agree with you. This phone is awesome.

1 Like

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 4:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
kayswag726:
wow cool review,,its still slim upon d big battery, getting dis device soon,wow and d front camera is very clear,just like some phone back camera
Group selfies looks Great with this device.
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by haykay2005: 4:59pm On Dec 26, 2015
donholy28:
and am sure you won't go back to any of them. The difference is clear. It has happened to me

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Tallesty1(m): 5:39pm On Dec 26, 2015
Hotdiamond:
Sure the highlight of the marathon m5 is its battery but that doesn't mean it didn't do well in other areas too.
So if you are having second thoughts. Just go get your hands on one. I'm sure you'll love it

selfie cam
Check your mail sir
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by joystickextend1(m): 6:22pm On Dec 26, 2015
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by kayswag726: 6:54pm On Dec 26, 2015
op is d bat3 removable
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 7:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
kayswag726:
op is d bat3 removable
Non user replaceable. Even the back cover is non-removable.
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 7:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
Tallesty1:
Check your mail sir
Seen
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Tallesty1(m): 7:31pm On Dec 26, 2015
Hotdiamond:

Seen
check againgringringringringrin
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by daverebranded(m): 8:26pm On Dec 26, 2015
great device..... OP is my friend.. he's a freak ..stoping on this device means its good

2 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by jerocity(m): 8:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
Pls I need help. I just bought this phone but the data service is not working after putting my etisalat Sim. Need help pls
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by mogreen22: 9:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
Anther gionee phone killing it as usual, its so obvious the camera of this phone can compete with the very high end mobile phones. rocking the splus, the gold one.

2 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by mindtricks: 10:30pm On Dec 26, 2015
Annkorede:
Lol......go back to tecno

You wicked o, you mean back to Crap?No! ?
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by mindtricks: 10:33pm On Dec 26, 2015
Hotdiamond:

selfie cam

Fine boy, good to bare your mind, fill 'em in!

2 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 10:34pm On Dec 26, 2015
mogreen22:
Anther gionee phone killing it as usual, its so obvious the camera of this phone can compete with the very high end mobile phones. rocking the splus, the gold one.
Enjoy your device cool
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Ryanxu: 10:21am On Dec 27, 2015
not only good battery, but also nice spec performance

1 Like

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by kayswag726: 1:10pm On Dec 27, 2015
Ryanxu:
not only good battery, but also nice spec performance

pls wen is dis device receiving marshmallow
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Hotdiamond(m): 1:38pm On Dec 27, 2015
kayswag726:

pls wen is dis device receiving marshmallow
According to gionee, march 2016.
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Nsonaso(m): 4:25pm On Dec 27, 2015
Hotdiamond:
The gionee m5 sees gionee launch the marathon series of smartphones in the lower mid range category. This sees improvement in the build quality, display quality/size and the camera department. I'll dive in to these in detail as we go further. The marathon m5 stands out from the older generations of marathons.
I got my unit for ₦42k

Whats awesome
-5.5 inch 720p AMOLED screen with gorilla glass 3 protection
-6000mAh li-polymer battery with fast charging
-13 MP camera rear camera with FHD video recording 5MP selfie camera.
- amigo 3.1 UI (Lolipop 5.1)
-2GB
-IR blaster
-amigo 3.1. smoothest amigo UI yet.

Whats not great
The weight (for me this is absolutely no issue. Except you have very small hands.)

Hardware and design
It comes in black(ink blue back), white or gold . For some reason Nigeria isn't getting the gold version.

The m5 weighs 211g and  measures at 8.5 mm in thickness, which is surprising for a 6000 mAh battery smartphone in 2015.
The 4.7mm edges compensates for the weight giving it a somewhat slim profile.

The device has  a very solid case and we'll built (like a tank) and it feels strong .it features a non removable metal back cover. It has a metal frame and it's quite comfortable to use with one hand.

-There is a 5mp front camera
status LED
At the back there's a main camera s5k3m2 sensor found on the galaxy s4,
- secondary noise cancellation microphone which some OEMs leave out.
- At the top there’s the audio port, infrared emitter
- while at the bottom there's the microUSB port and primary  microphone.
-It comes with a non removable battery. The back cover is non removable too. Everything is sealed in.
-The dual micro Sim tray is in the left while the memory card expansion slot is on the right. Both accessible using a sim ejector tool provided in the box.

Again the marathon m5 is very slim for its BATTERY.
It's a well built and  once it's in the  hand it doesn't feel cheap at all.

Display
The generations of  marathon series has seen a gradual increase in the size Of its displays. With the release of the marathon m5 Plus,it's going to get bigger.

The m5 features a 5.5 inch AMOLED OGS panel, with a 1280 x 720 pixel resolution

The display is protected with corning gorilla glass 3 which is less prone to scratches (I personally removed the screen protector for this reason, I don't use cases too.)

It's also very bright which makes it VERY legible under direct sunlight. You don't have to squint to see what's on the screen when you are outdoors.
**this is a very big plus for this device.
 Overall, it's  very good display. AMOLED  is the way to go. I hope all OEMs adopt this too in their mid range devices.

audio quality
The hardware dts and smart audio amp  speakers  offers very loud and  clean sound output  and no muffled, distorted or  tiny sounds. Headphones bundled here have a long and anti tangle wire.
- They’re elegant, comfortable and offer great noise canceling and bass.
You don't need to be a audiophile to know how good the in-ear headphones are.

Battery and power consumption
As far as battery life goes. This device is a power bank. (literally).
After My normally daily moderate routine ;unplug at 7am. 3G on all day,surfing the web, auto brightness on, youtube, a few phone calls and a lot of texting (whatsapp and the rest)
I get average of 9-11 hours of screen on time.
I don't really game with my phone but for testing sake I tried out asphalt 8 for a few hours. The battery drop was very minimal. The same goes for other light games like candy crush and subway surf. You get the drift.

As for heating up.
From my observation The m5 only heats up (not burning heat) when I'm streaming videos for hours via mobile data while on WiFi the heat is almost non existent.
Let me announce that it heats up during the rapid charge stage 0-80%. But cools down when it is in the trickle charge stage 80-100%

It uses fast charge .
I got it from 0-100% in about 130-140 mins.
I wouldn't advice you charge it while using as the charging time will increase.
Just have patience. It'll fill up in no time then you can go back to whatever you were doing.
- standby time is also impressive. I go to bed , wake up in the morning. It looses just 1%.so if you are the busy type. you'll not have a any issue going with this phone for three days+ on a single charge.

performance
There's nothing much to say here.
The allocated  two 2GB of RAM holds up its own end .
Multitasking is seamless
no stutter when transitioning between home screens and the app drawer . You'll feel much at home with the stock launcher but I had to revert to my trusted nova launcher.

***The power saving modes do hinder the performance.

Which phone did you used in snapping the GiONEE M5

3 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 27, 2015
There ain't any big deal in the specs, tho, am not condemning any phone. just observing.
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by honsule(m): 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
helenmi:
There ain't any big deal in the specs, tho, am not condemning any phone. just observing.

Nice observation grin grin

1 Like

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by daphid25(m): 11:51am On Dec 28, 2015
donholy28:
No one will advice you to run back when Gionee finish you with lies
Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by proffnico(m): 12:04pm On Dec 28, 2015
daphid25:

No one will advice you to run back when Gionee finish you with lies
tekino don pay your salary abi??

2 Likes

Re: Gionee M5 , The Experience So Far by daphid25(m): 12:20pm On Dec 28, 2015
proffnico:
tekino don pay your salary abi??
I know say Gionee don pay you, tell them make dem stop to dey lie

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tecno Phone With 18 Karat Gold Cover. See Reactions (Photos) / Updated April 11 2020 Zeus Addons- Watch Supersport Channels On Koditv / Iphone Killer Tweaks Section(for Jailbreakers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.