Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? (22212 Views)

What Will Happen If You Boil Egg Inside Oil Instead Of Water? / History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria / What Is The Meaning Of ACCEPTANCE FEE In Nigerian Higher Institutions...? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by habeeblai244(m): 10:26am On Dec 30, 2015
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by MemeTroll: 10:29am On Dec 30, 2015
RIP ENGLISH

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by smithsammy(m): 10:30am On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This have been been bordering me since i
was in secondary school. Now I am now in
Higher Institution.
Yet i still cant figure this out.
Why will an higher institution student for
that matter who has been doing english
Language for the past 10years at least cant
speak English but will prefer a Pidgin.
My friends speak pidgin, try to correct them
but will give lame excuse that not that they
cant speak english but they prefer pidgin.
Pidgin is for those who didnt go to school
at all but need to communicate with those
who understand english.
Higher institution students, why did you
prefer pidgin to English

cc; Lalasticlala
hmmmmm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by feran15(m): 10:36am On Dec 30, 2015
they are allowed to speak any language they want.

you gan have problem with English you have been doing for 10 years.

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 30, 2015
Wait for me, let me go and eat before i comments

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by habeeblai244(m): 10:57am On Dec 30, 2015
feran15:
they are allowed to speak any language they want.

you gan have problem with English you have been doing for 10 years.
Yes any language, is pidgin a language. Lets face the truth. I know i cant be perfect in speaking english.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by feran15(m): 11:17am On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
Yes any language, is pidgin a language. Lets face the truth. I know i cant be perfect in speaking english.

it's all about preference. they speak what they prefer. let them.be. as long as they dont write it in their exams, nobody is hurt

35 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by homeboy205: 11:24am On Dec 30, 2015
lol my bros pidgin easy hen even mama patience confirm ham

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by habeeblai244(m): 11:34am On Dec 30, 2015
homeboy205:
lol my bros pidgin easy hen even mama patience confirm ham
lol cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by miteolu(m): 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
Best Communication Method (BCM)

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Atmmachine(m): 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
You're very wrong for this.
I'm very confident about my spoken English, i live in America and i see Nigerian University girls as being unable to speak good English.

I got some Nigerian girls phone numbers, They speak polished Queens English, i was Amazed, even them girls that grew up and spent all the lives in the village, They speak good English with no accent.
They were the ones asking me why i still have the Igbo accent after spending many years in America.

Don't try to tarnish the images of my Naija guys.
You think Americans speak good English ??
You will hear them say "Where is you going" "Is you mad ??" I could of done my home work " "Wanna" "Gonna" "I finna go buy some bread" Now tell me if that's a good English.

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by ednut1(m): 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
oh boy if u ask me i no sabi d reason. pidgin sweet wella pass english grin. pidgin shud be our official language self so all those mumu forming fake accent go change

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by adonbilivit: 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
coz life is not an English class.

20 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by MzPecs(f): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
Yeah, it's true..

I wonder why it's so.. lipsrsealed

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by adedam007(m): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
f

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Sijo01(f): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
Does the pigin english affect their grades??

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by gameboy727(m): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
Everyone speaks pidgin English, be it students or lecturers. It's just like our mother tongue. By the way it doesn't stop students from graduating with good grades.

So just leave this matter for one corner and speak what you like.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by pretydiva(f): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
Who English help undecided

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
For me, I see nothing wrong in a graduate or undergraduate speaking pidgin. The only bad thing there would be if they went about rapping it when they've not even mastered their English. Anyone who does that blights his chances of getting a good grasp of the English Language. Consequently, if as a graduate (or undergraduate), you're still struggling with your 'is' and 'was', yet you go about speaking pidgin most of the time, you're not helping yourself; infact, you're already grooming yourself to become a local champion. Master your English first, after which, you can speak your pidgin in informal settings, or other settings of the sort, as much as you want.

I for one am proud that I can speak pidgin very well, and depending on where I am, I can switch from queen's English to pidgin in the twinkling of an eye. Infact, there are times I find it more appropriate speaking pidgin. For eg, if I have an old woman struggling to communicate with me in pidgin, would you expect I started blasting oyibo for her? No na, if I did, I wouldn't be communicating.

The above is what I think.

op, nice and fresh thread nevertheless.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by kunzaar83(m): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
Aren't you proud as a nigerian 2 speak uя own language or pidgin instead of English? English is some 1ns Languge ... Make them include. Pidgin for our learning Curriculum self,

I be proud naija guy..

Naija made....

That thing wey you dey yarn say oyibo man language English is superior 2 our naija made pidgin na lie.... I be proud naija padi

Yes nothing do me

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Sijo01(f): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
miteolu:
Best Communication Method (BCM)
Your head is there jare.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by loomer: 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
English na their papa language?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by omooba969(m): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
Being used to speaking pidgin always harms your english grammar & composition.

Simple. cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
Quality of education
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Sijo01(f): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
pretydiva:
Who English help undecided
I taya o. Like say d English don baf.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by obailala(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
Because pidgin english is the defacto lingua franca of Nigeria. You can't force an adult to speak a particular language to his friends.

habeeblai244:
...Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English...
Please who made this rule? ... probably what your parents or an older relation told you when growing up?

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by PLANETMARS(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
what u shud b bothered about op is ur cgpa olodo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Koolface4u: 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
English is not our language,btw na wetin dem sabi dem go speak nw

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Afam4eva(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
It's not like they can't speak Enlgish. They just feel more comfortable speaking pidgin to people they call friends. The same way students in Ibadan will prefer speaking Yoruba or those in Owerri favouring Igbo.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by HDee(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
You've no idea
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?
ur English sef get as e take be

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Joeself1(m): 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
most of them only interact in pidgin among themselves, that doesn't mean they can't speak in English .....when it is official and compulsory, they will speak English, and when they are among their peers,nah pidgin fit do am pass grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t / Dangote, Obaseki, Others At AAU Convocation Ceremony (Photos) / What Is The Simplest Word You Forgot To Spell In An Exam Hall?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.