Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,791 members, 7,798,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google (43875 Views)

Unadvertised IT Audit And Internal Control Officer Positions-urgent / Unadvertised Jobs You Need To Know About / Join KD Job Forum to Get Unadvertised Job Openings In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by bodeoni: 2:48pm On Dec 31, 2015
Most job openings at most companies go unadvertised—that is, they're posted on their site, but they're not farmed out to recruiters or posted on massive job boards. That also makes them harder to find. Thankfully, Google can do the job for you. Use these search strings to uncover matching gigs.

The market for new jobs is so competitive that most companies don't see a need to spend a ton of money hiring third-party recruiting firms or posting their jobs to the top of big job boards just to get candidates to apply. Between internal referral programs and word-of-mouth, posting a job to the company's "Careers" page is usually enough. To uncover those unadvertised openings, all you need is a little Google-fu. The folks at the Glassdoor Blog explain that all you need to do is cast your net over the major employee applicant tracking systems that companies use to post and manage responses to their job postings

Do you know what an applicant tracking system is? Wikipedia defines it as “a software application that enables the electronic handling of recruitment needs.” As a jobseeker, you refer to it as the electronic blackhole that eats up resumes. Specifically, it’s the system you interact with when you apply for a job on a company careers website. One of the more popular applicant tracking systems is produced by a company called “Taleo.”

With a little help from Google, you will be able to search company websites that are using the Taleo system. In this way, you will be able to find jobs that are not posted on (insert leading job board name here) and have an edge on your competition. Let me show you how.

In the Google search below, I am asking Google to look only on the Taleo.net website (where their system hosts various unadvertised jobs that are typically obtainable when a jobseeker does a search on a company’s careers website). I do this when I search: “site:taleo.net” Afterward, I ask Google to find only those webpages that have “careers” in the title. This is what “intitle:careers” means. Finally, I add in the job title “programmer” because that is the job I am looking for. Of course, just adding a job title is giving me too many broad results. I narrow it down by adding more keywords like “SAS” and “macro.”

In short, to search all sites using Taleo, for example:

site:taleo.net intitle:careers JOBTITLE OTHERIMPORTANTWORDS

Repeat the process for any other applicant tracking systems you know are in wide use, like Kenexa's BrassRing (brassring.com) for example.

Source: http://lifehacker.com/find-unadvertised-job-openings-with-a-clever-google-sea-1495871716

cc: lalasticlala

76 Likes 30 Shares

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by wroskian(m): 4:13pm On Dec 31, 2015
Quite educative. Thanks for sharing this Bodeoni.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Abdujapha(m): 4:26pm On Dec 31, 2015
This is awesome bro.
Blessup grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by segunjowo(m): 4:53pm On Dec 31, 2015
will try this to confirm.
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by ademasta(m): 5:24pm On Dec 31, 2015
Nigerians and brains! Thanks Op.

2 Likes

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by pendusky(m): 5:38pm On Dec 31, 2015
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

REALLY?

WHERE IS THUMB UP SMILEY?

OP YOU NEED THUMB UP kiss cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by gentlesoul196: 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2015
2016 is my year of total fulfilment, I'll have a good job to smile on in Jesus name

8 Likes

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by passionate88: 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2015
NICE ONE.
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Moneyyy: 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2015
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Teewhy2: 6:04pm On Dec 31, 2015
The Internet is more of a blessing than a curse to the human race, you are left with the option to choose what you want from it.

Merry Christmas to you all and thanks for voting for my baby in the #CussonsBabyMoments . If you are yet to vote just click on this link
https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details/578. To do so. We appreciate your votes and still need over 1000 votes to win. Kindly share to others to vote as well
Thanks, if you no cast your vote for her and you ignore, wetin you gain

1 Like

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by calabaman(m): 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2015
what a good way to end d year.

by learning sometin new. nice one poster

2 Likes

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by dodoniyi: 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2015
Good
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by cyara(f): 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2015
Thanks OP. I wish this 2016 will be my year
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Funjosh(m): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2015
smiley HAPPY NEW YEAR smiley
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by fattbabakay(m): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2015
Issokay
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2015
Interesting
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by brunofarad(m): 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2015
Ok
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by fleps(m): 6:09pm On Dec 31, 2015
Gmmmm. Cool
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by GreatManBee: 6:11pm On Dec 31, 2015
bodeoni:
Most job openings at most companies go unadvertised—that is, they're posted on their site, but they're not farmed out to recruiters or posted on massive job boards. That also makes them harder to find. Thankfully, Google can do the job for you. Use these search strings to uncover matching gigs.

The market for new jobs is so competitive that most companies don't see a need to spend a ton of money hiring third-party recruiting firms or posting their jobs to the top of big job boards just to get candidates to apply. Between internal referral programs and word-of-mouth, posting a job to the company's "Careers" page is usually enough. To uncover those unadvertised openings, all you need is a little Google-fu. The folks at the Glassdoor Blog explain that all you need to do is cast your net over the major employee applicant tracking systems that companies use to post and manage responses to their job postings

Do you know what an applicant tracking system is? Wikipedia defines it as “a software application that enables the electronic handling of recruitment needs.” As a jobseeker, you refer to it as the electronic blackhole that eats up resumes. Specifically, it’s the system you interact with when you apply for a job on a company careers website. One of the more popular applicant tracking systems is produced by a company called “Taleo.”

With a little help from Google, you will be able to search company websites that are using the Taleo system. In this way, you will be able to find jobs that are not posted on (insert leading job board name here) and have an edge on your competition. Let me show you how.

In the Google search below, I am asking Google to look only on the Taleo.net website (where their system hosts various unadvertised jobs that are typically obtainable when a jobseeker does a search on a company’s careers website). I do this when I search: “site:taleo.net” Afterward, I ask Google to find only those webpages that have “careers” in the title. This is what “intitle:careers” means. Finally, I add in the job title “programmer” because that is the job I am looking for. Of course, just adding a job title is giving me too many broad results. I narrow it down by adding more keywords like “SAS” and “macro.”

In short, to search all sites using Taleo, for example:

site:taleo.net intitle:careers JOBTITLE OTHERIMPORTANTWORDS

Repeat the process for any other applicant tracking systems you know are in wide use, like Kenexa's BrassRing (brassring.com) for example.

Source: http://lifehacker.com/find-unadvertised-job-openings-with-a-clever-google-sea-1495871716

cc: lalasticlala
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by pavlovt: 6:12pm On Dec 31, 2015
Nice one bro
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by mjames: 6:12pm On Dec 31, 2015
Great to hear, thanks
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by STAMPandSEAL: 6:14pm On Dec 31, 2015
alright
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2015
This is not for nigerian based jobs

The title should be: How To Find Unadvertised International Jobs Using Google

8 Likes

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by STAMPandSEAL: 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2015
ok
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Mbkite(m): 6:16pm On Dec 31, 2015
Nice one @op

1 Like

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by STAMPandSEAL: 6:16pm On Dec 31, 2015
makeitsoon:
This is not for nigerian based jobs
True!

1 Like

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 31, 2015
Unfortunately this will give you all jobs round the whole world and you'll waste even more time sorting out which is for your location..

5 Likes

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by ITbomb(m): 6:18pm On Dec 31, 2015
Nigerian jobs? I doubt

2 Likes

Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Ezenwa11(m): 6:20pm On Dec 31, 2015
Teewhy2:
The Internet is more of a blessing than a curse to the human race, you are left with the option to choose what you want from it.

Merry Christmas to you all and thanks for voting for my baby in the #CussonsBabyMoments . If you are yet to vote just click on this link
https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details/578. To do so. We appreciate your votes and still need over 1000 votes to win. Kindly share to others to vote as well
Thanks, if you no cast your vote for her and you ignore, wetin you gain
I have voted for her, I hope my vote will make a little impact
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by becoted(m): 6:21pm On Dec 31, 2015
Good.
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Teewhy2: 6:22pm On Dec 31, 2015
Ezenwa11:

I have voted for her, I hope my vote will make a little impact
Thanks I appreciate, it will go a long way
Re: How To Find Unadvertised Jobs Using Google by Jobsdome: 6:25pm On Dec 31, 2015
We always crawl the company websites

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please I Got This Mail And Text 10mins Ago and another mail 2mins ago... / Total Oil And Gas, Young Graduate Program 2016. / Made Hills Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.