Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,882 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? (8254 Views)

Should I Return The Funds / Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Constantin: 6:50pm On Oct 24, 2006
Help: Will It Be "Pay Off" To Return After Your Studies Abroad To Nigeria?

I am currently studying in the UK and I major in "Economic Psychology" at LSE (London School of Economics) and I greatly enjoy it. After completing my studies I am very willing to work at an ad agency. With the kind help of my professor I managed to accomplish one internship at a well renowned ad agency called "Saatchi & Saatchi" here in London. ( maybe some of you heard about the name) Although it was a hell lot of work I liked the job profusely , but I cannot make up my mind whether I should stay in London (not only because of my potentially better job opportunities but also on account of personal/love reasons) or move back to Nigeria with my loved one (anotehr problem: she is a Non-Nigerian girl, she is of British/Irish origin and never visited an African country in her life).

My question is do you know any well-renowned ad agencies in Nigeria? What about the salaries one can earn? I have already done some internet research but it is not very informative to be honest with you. If I continue to stay in London after my studies and I get a decent job as a consultant at any of the bigger INTERNATIONAL ad agencies, I will earn around 30 000 British Pounds a year + flashy company car + extra bonus after a while (as far as I have been informed). THIS IS VERY TEMPTING!!!! grin cheesy I don´t think that you will get so much money back in Naija? So I am pretty confused. undecided undecidedShould I return or stay in the UK? PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY DECISION!!!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by chukymoney(m): 9:22pm On Oct 24, 2006
guy from your story,you are already confortable with all those cash you metioned.30,000.00 pounds thats about 7.5million per annum here in naija.i dont know how much you pay on tax over there.but if you have a sure job here in naija,as in somebody fixing you up immedietely you land,you can risk it but if not. OL BOY SIDDON THERE
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by ell77(f): 9:32pm On Oct 24, 2006
SO WAIT, U WAN'T TO TAKE AN OYIBO GIRL WHO HAS NOT EVEN TRAVELLED TO SOUTH AFRICA TO NAIJA FOR HER TO LIVE WITH U FOREVA WHEN U DON'T HAVE A JOB?! HAHAHAHAHA

SORRY, it is admirable that u wan't to go back to Naija and sort of bring the wealth of knowledge back home, or jsut be closer to ur people, and by all means I do think u should return one day if it is plausible for u and ur new life. You have a guaranteed job here that pays, u hav no guarantees in Naija even upon u obtaining a good job, u will need to create a luxiourious home for ur girlfriend to live in, also why will she go with u unless u are married which means more money still. Ur best bet is to stay at Saatchi & Saatchi - which I have heard of, congrats on that because it is a very prestigious organisation that people will leave Japan, USA, Australia to be a part of and probably would fund themselves whereas u already have ur foot in the door. Better stil u have a high starting salary and will probably receive other bonuses. Whildt u receive cash invest it in a home and maybe ur family and prepar for a life back - I thought that was the main purpose of most people coming here - education is there in NAija, many people have degrees but these same people are unemployed. Whilst having a degree at LSE will give u an advantage there is no need to aplly for jobs when u already have one. Bwoy I hope u hold that ur girl like egg when u take her there, Oyibo people for here go claim u kill am!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by tukur2002n(m): 2:41pm On Oct 25, 2006
my brother just like my fellow 9jerians have told u, i will equally advise u stay over there and work to earn that tempting pay u claim to have been offered.
i have a little knowledge about the advertising industry in 9ja here but am not really sure they can pay up to 7.5m per ann. but i can assure u will live comfortable if you get the right one and start on a very high level (like E.D or Directorate level u know wink wink)
why not make those money there come home after some years and establish an advertising industry here with ur wealth of xperience u will do alot of us here good by employing people who equally have passion for this beloved career but unemployed with certificates cry cry.
pls think about it very well and also ask ur confident here in 9ja to make out time and investigate throughly how the industry is paying xpartriates like you.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Ndipe(m): 11:24am On Oct 26, 2006
A bird in a hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Dont abandon your seemingly comfortable life in London to an uncertain life in Naija. You may regret it. Rather, acquire as much skills as you can in your stated profession and on vacation to naija, you could hunt for a new job.

I get question to ask, is 30,000 thousand pounds really a lot of money in Uk? From my understanding, London is a notoriious for taxes, coupled with their high cost of living.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by chubaba(m): 11:33am On Oct 26, 2006
Oga mi,
           As every one has said enjoy the life u ve there! although i know no one can make up ur mind 4 u expect u!
Try and make sumthing of the career u started and once u think you are ready make things happen! Najia is not an easy place to settle in but its one place every nigerian will always continue to luv, why? u may ask well theres no place like home!!
grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by silsane(f): 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2006
dude u know your take home pay after tax is gon be around £22,000, and bonuses, company cars and all other perks increases the tax u pay and ultimately push u into d 40% tax band,
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Megzyone: 2:17pm On Oct 26, 2006
Ol Boy,
Na wah o!!! Well, finish your course first get your HSMP or work permit and then start dreaming.If you get a good graduate job in London ofcourse stay but if not head home and look for a job. I am about to do the same.You may not be able to get a good job on a student visa.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by cream2(m): 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2006
Ndipe, Good question - £30k is 'NUFFINK' in London after taxes, NI, and all the other bull**** Londoners have to pay for, in two words, London sucks

Another thing, is this guy even for real Who da hell says ''I liked the job profusely''
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by tpzmil(m): 5:03pm On Oct 26, 2006
my brother, make u remain where u dey, or wait till dis yeye baba wey get waka
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by whiteroses(f): 5:09pm On Oct 26, 2006
danger alert! don't take an oyinbo girl to naija without confirming a nice job there she'll run away, if you wan't to serve naija go and find a job and ask her to come over, it's too hard to find a job in nigeria dis days so don't search alone tell people about it, i would say you should stay in london and work even though you'll have lot's of money but might not enjoy the money cos of 2much tax, unrelaxed enviroment, busy schedule and stress that you can't possibly get in nigeria. it's funny how da 2 country cut each other out. do you really think a non naija wife will actually follow you to nigeria? ask her opinion first, i hope she totally submit to your decision or else you have to stay in london till you are old and watch naija in a stonethrow. peace out
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by kokorunna(m): 5:47pm On Oct 26, 2006
Contact www.phillipsconsulting.net in Nigeria, they can get you a good job as a Consultant. I know someone from the UK that got a job through them and his been paid around 900K a month, car and accomodation included.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by onyek: 5:52pm On Oct 26, 2006
I would suggest you stay in London and gain experience. There are lots of fantastic things happening in advertising at the moment especially with the internet so stay in the thick of things there.

As you are really keen on working in nigeria, go for a holiday and meet with the Phillips consulting people and see if you can get a gig offering outsourced consultancy services in your field, i.e. Advertising. You might even be able to persuade your bosses that there is a viable market for Advertising in Nigeria and you could run an office for them there.

If you just think it through, you'll see many ways of getting to your final destination.

Good Luck!!

grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by texazzpete(m): 6:02pm On Oct 26, 2006
All you did was mention pros of staying in london and cons of going o naija. why then do you claim you are 'confused'? Your story smacks of Hints, Hearts and the like anyway,
Besides, i'd never make a career or life-changing decision solely on the advice of a group of strangers on a discussion forum.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nilla(f): 7:04pm On Oct 26, 2006
texazzpete:

All you did was mention pros of staying in london and cons of going o naija. why then do you claim you are 'confused'? Your story smacks of Hints, Hearts and the like anyway,
Besides, i'd never make a career or life-changing decision solely on the advice of a group of strangers on a discussion forum.

cheesy
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by kabirjinad(m): 7:08pm On Oct 26, 2006
My dear, i will advise u 2 stay there & acquire & more skill & @ d sametime making more money b4 u can think of coming home. Infact there is no place like home.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by kabirjinad(m): 7:11pm On Oct 26, 2006
My dear, i will advise u 2 stay there & acquire & more skill & @ d sametime making more money b4 u can think of coming home. Infact there is no place like home.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by kabirjinad(m): 7:19pm On Oct 26, 2006
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by mondollar(m): 7:28pm On Oct 26, 2006
Chairman,
make u just remain for there oooo. If Federal Government no come consult you, make u no come ooo.
Naija tight and no place go fit pay u that much for now. PERIOD!!!
mondollar2003@yahoo.com
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by ATTAHDYE(m): 7:34pm On Oct 26, 2006
if u are actually  LBS certified you dont have 2 worry about where 2 work. the newly consulidated banks will have good space 4 you,good  you pay will not be heavily tasked like it will be in london. so you can come home where u can be a local champion , but if your degree is not up to it, stay behind the situation of jobs is bad with mobile police tear gasing applicants at test venue in lagos , it is not the kind of place i will invite anybody to come back and look for job
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by donmayor(m): 9:30pm On Oct 26, 2006
Why come to Nigeria? We would soon self destruct and be extinct. Maybe we might soon be requiring aid from UK and US if those criminals in Aso Rock don't die. Anyway it's noble thinking of coming back to Nigeria to "contribute your own quota" but at the same time, it's not wise to leave certainty for uncertainty including the fact u have gf. I guess you can attempt to come for a 3 months holiday and see things for yourself before you make ur decision unless if na illegal u be for UK
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by rudeboy(m): 11:04pm On Oct 26, 2006
I guess you can attempt to come for a 3 months holiday and see things for yourself before you make your decision unless if na illegal u be for UK[color=#990000][/color]
THIS NA NAIJA MAKE YOU SHINE UR EYE. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by dennylove(m): 11:11pm On Oct 26, 2006
Oh yeah,like my homeboy will say,THIS NA REALLY NAIJA MAKE YOU SHINE YOUR EYE.
WELLU-WELLU.or else you will sing a song,HAD I KNOWN. grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by frankiriri(m): 7:36am On Oct 27, 2006
I know for certain that saactchi and saatchi is affiliated to a local advertising firm here. I suggest that you get some experience and then head back to naija. I know they treat expatriate staff very well in naija. so work there first so that you can be considered an expatraite in your own country.
cheesy
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by osteen(m): 7:58am On Oct 27, 2006
Omo bone that talk, leave a good job in London n come work in naija, u must be joking. I beg no but that ur woman for un-necessary stress, cos that is the only tin naija dey give us.

Enjoy Ur life will u hav one.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by naija4life(f): 12:34pm On Oct 27, 2006
Na whao, da remaining guys in Nigeria are tryn deriously to get out and u want to come back. Listen da only way u can make it in Nigeria is if u'r

1, A politician, preferably PDP
2, Employee of oil company
3, Armed robber

YES, i said so, if not, get ready to stay for about 20 years before smelling some little money, dead place undecided lipsrsealed cry
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:44pm On Oct 27, 2006
If you can get work after graduation with the likes of saatchi2 you are already on your way up the ladder

and £30,000 is a very,very good if you live in london even with the taxes and what not, it's not like you are planing on building a mansion in the middle of kensington is it? abi you get 10 kids u want feed?

A £20,000 starting salary for a graduate is a good start!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by TEEZERO(m): 2:01pm On Oct 27, 2006
Visit nigeriajobsonline.com.
I think there's even an exhibition in London, this weekend organised by them.
Best wishes.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Gentlebabs(m): 3:07pm On Oct 27, 2006
You will be graduating early, good or you. Many of us did not such chance. Stay back, obtain your masters, get a certificate to show that you are in tune with the curent trend in Information technology, get your masters. Afterwards, you can return to your great country Nigeria and maximise opportuities.

If you've got a good result, you will get one million and one job opportunities.

Keep the dream alive!.

Cheers,

Gentle Babs.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by deathadder(m): 3:39pm On Oct 27, 2006
Stay and make the money in London.

Who ever it was that said £30,000.00 a year isn't much is jealous.

When I graduated I was on £24,000.00 and had plenty of money. Enough for a Golf Gti and Mortgage on my Flat.

If you miss your homeland put money into your own property in Nigeria and take holidays there, maybe retire there some day.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:03pm On Oct 27, 2006
Yes o but dont get mortage except you wan die for oyinbo land and in a long term relationship

Get a mortage in nigeria and make it your holiday home,
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nosa101(f): 4:38pm On Oct 27, 2006
Por favor no vuelva.
Владелец удалил мое первое сообщение

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Do Banks Pay Corpers & Entry-Level Employees? / OFFICE POLITICS; The Evil That Threatens Corporate Existence. / Question And Answers For Oil And Gas Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.