Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,385 members, 7,781,105 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:58 AM

9ja Used Car Is Not The Best - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best (3716 Views)

Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car / 11 Most Used Car Brands In Africa – Autojosh. / How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by yinka500: 10:25am On Jan 01, 2016
Experienced is the best lesson and teacher..I took my mechanic to inspect a pencil car and all he was after is his own cut from the seller and he mislead me to buy the pencil for 500k and I have spent nothing less than 150k changing this and that.. ..sad!
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by redcliff: 10:47am On Jan 01, 2016
You should not come here to complain. You made your choice. stick with it!!!

4 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by fbtowner(m): 11:19am On Jan 01, 2016
Don't waist your time and money. Sell it off. Pass the burden to someone who hasn't learn. I guess you have learned your own lessons by now

1 Like

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by kings5000: 11:27am On Jan 01, 2016
End time car
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by kings5000: 11:29am On Jan 01, 2016
Buy eraser and delete the pencil Na.

2 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 01, 2016
Lol...you paid N500,000 for a pencil? How many pencils were in that pack? HB or 2B?

Personally for that amount, I would have bought a pack of Blue Biros, or gold Parker Pens. Pencils are strictly for peasants.

15 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 01, 2016
fbtowner:
Don't waist your time and money. Sell it off. Pass the burden to someone who hasn't learn. I guess you have learned your own lessons by now

Bad advise. Supposing someone close to you ends up buying this broken pencil, when he / she could have bought an elitist Parker Fountain Pen, with free ink?

6 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by diportivo: 11:50am On Jan 01, 2016
yinka500:
Experienced is the best lesson and teacher..I took my mechanic to inspect a pencil car and all he was after is his own cut from the seller and he mislead me to buy the pencil for 500k and I have spent nothing less than 150k changing this and that.. ..sad!

You gan sef!!....and you can be so cool as to call that guy ur mechanic?...the guy that doesnt care about u?

Why do i av a feeling he is still the one that has collected the 150k to fix this and that?......

Away from u and ur mecho,i dont even expect a whole engine and gear of that car to cost that 150k sef.....

Make a list of what you av changed and post here.....

Its possible your car isnt the problem...maybe it's that ur beloved mecho that's developing his half plot of land small small

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by kingreign(m): 12:09pm On Jan 01, 2016
Siena:
Lol...you paid N500,000 for a pencil? How many pencils were in that pack? HB or 2B?

Personally for that amount, I would have bought a pack of Blue Biros, or gold Parker Pens. Pencils are strictly for peasants.

Pencil light camry AKA 1998-2000Toyota camry. wink

2 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by MPVGoddess: 12:22pm On Jan 01, 2016
yinka500:

How many miles/km at point of purchase?

Things fail, you should expect them to.

If you spent more than 600,000.00 I would say you over spent.

You didn't.

Cars need to taken care of the way, married men take care of their wives, and boyfriends their girlfriends

The only thing is this, if you marry high-maintenance babe, get ready for high maintenance expenses, same for high maintenance girlfriend.

High maintenance can be in terms of taste or in terms of health. The real question is what was the health status of the Camry when you got it, did the former owner neglect it or pamper it? If he neglected it and you don't want to drive it into the ground, you needed to fix it.

500,000.00 + 150,000.00 = 750,000.00

Might not be so bad after-all depending of course on what the 150,000.00 was spent on ( in terms of the parts and the quality of the parts)

My own Nigerian vehicle is pampered with oem replacement parts, so it is an exception to the rule you are making, and in any case, i don't plan to sell. if i ever get tired of the ride, i either keep it in my backyard (sorry that should be read as my museum) or gift it to a starter for a mere token or for free.

I don't get this big issue about resale value

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by IamChiboi(m): 12:30pm On Jan 01, 2016
Most Naija used cars have one issue or the other. I'd rather save up more and be patient to get a Tokunbo

1 Like

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by fbtowner(m): 12:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
Siena:

Bad advise. Supposing someone close to you ends up buying this broken pencil, when he / she could have bought an elitist Parker Fountain Pen, with free ink?

Ok you go soon learn
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by 9icetoo(m): 1:06pm On Jan 01, 2016
IamChiboi:
Most Naija used cars have one issue or the other. I'd rather save up more and be patient to get a Tokunbo
and you think tokunbos don't have issues? remind me which cars I see at the mech again? made in Nigeria? all cars as they age will have issues. replacing the parts that have issues is called maintenance and that is one thing we just can't seem to right do here. I bought a naija company used (that should read abused) Skoda Octavia diesel. I did my research, fixed it up, changed parts (oem) at more than twice the price of the car. I travel with the car now everywhere without fear of failure. the same company who sold it to me can't believe their eyes when I drive it to work. and its now my daily driver. sold off my Camry and the buyer who bought it naija used can't ever stop thanking me cos I used OEM parts for maintenance. car has never failed him. just like mpvgoddess, its all down to the owners.

5 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by MPVGoddess: 1:22pm On Jan 01, 2016
9icetoo:

and you think tokunbos don't have issues? remind me which cars I see at the mech again? made in Nigeria? all cars as they age will have issues. replacing the parts that have issues is called maintenance and that is one thing we just can't seem to right do here. I bought a naija company used (that should read abused) Skoda Octavia diesel. I did my research, fixed it up, changed parts (oem) at more than twice the price of the car. I travel with the car now everywhere without fear of failure. the same company who sold it to me can't believe their eyes when I drive it to work. and its now my daily driver. sold off my Camry and the buyer who bought it naija used can't ever stop thanking me cos I used OEM parts for maintenance. car has never failed him. just like mpvgoddess, its all down to the owners.

Those who know cars know that buying the bits and pieces will cost many times the cost of the assembled car

So it is no surprise that replacement parts can cost as much as the car if not more

Some owners are not ready to spend that much, which means they do not know the true cost of car ownership

Makes me feel that used luxury cars are really a good deal after-all, imagine getting a vehicle costing $150,000 for $15,000.00 or less

Rarely will you have to spend half of that on parts to bring it back to factory standard, provided it was well taken care of

Unlike camry and the like, that you buy used for around $15,000 and might spend another $15,000.00 to bring back to factory standard

And then there is the value of not spending all that $150,000 at a go, or the $75,000 at a go but over time. Seems priceless

I think the pricing of tokunbo parts/cars causes Nigerians to have a false impression of the true cost of running cars, which may explain why we have stories of people who say they never changed a thing except brake pads and oil, without telling us how much use in terms of miles and kilometers that the car has seen, making others who know no better to come to a false conclusion as to the true cost of car maintenance

3 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 01, 2016
fbtowner:
Ok you go soon learn

Bro, how will I soon learn? And learn what?
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by Originalsly: 3:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
Buying 9ja used car can be best if you really know the history.... like someone said earlier... how well the owner took care of it. Was it well maintained?...by a certified mechanic?...OEM parts used?....then I strongly believe it is better to buy that than a similar toks. On the other hand... I believe if you don't know the history it is better to buy toks. Reason being that it is highly likely that the 9ja used would be so messed up by the roadside mechanics and their short cuts that every little problem would become major one to fix.

1 Like

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by uboma(m): 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2016
redcliff:
You should not come here to complain. You made your choice. stick with it!!!

Every member has a right to air his or her views here.

No need to be rude.

1 Like

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by uboma(m): 4:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
Siena:

Hahahahaha!

Very funny bro.

Happy new year 2016 to you.
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by yinka500: 5:09pm On Jan 01, 2016
Not the money spent but my mech betrayed me because I asked him to check for me before I made the payment. I can still cope without using car at that moment to be able to see the good one. But the dealer told me after someday that I shouldn't give my mech anything because he had settle him so hearing this pics me off......just that I always fix this and that on the car that's why I'm just fed up. I'm planning to sell it....it is my first car...it changed the front bomber cos I used it to bash and did d AC 15k....Some 2ks 3ks 5ks and 4ks are the money I have been spending.
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by diportivo: 5:45pm On Jan 01, 2016
yinka500:
Not the money spent but my mech betrayed me because I asked him to check for me before I made the payment. I can still cope without using car at that moment to be able to see the good one. But the dealer told me after someday that I shouldn't give my mech anything because he had settle him so hearing this pics me off......just that I always fix this and that on the car that's why I'm just fed up. I'm planning to sell it....it is my first car...it changed the front bomber cos I used it to bash and did d AC 15k....Some 2ks 3ks 5ks and 4ks are the money I have been spending.

Oga,if the dealer settled ur mecho,its cos he bargained to be settled....

15k for AC depends....compressor and condenser plus gas don chop ur 15k already na

U even use am bash?and u come dey vex?...2k,3k,4k etc will happen even if its toks

From ur opening statements twas as tho u bought a lemon and had to keep spending to keep it running....apparently dat isnt the situation

On a more serious note,i wan buy am

400 last!!show me pictures

God bless u as u comply

2 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by ColeworldMD(m): 6:48pm On Jan 01, 2016
kings5000:
Buy eraser and delete the pencil Na.
u mean sharpener cheesy
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by IamChiboi(m): 6:54pm On Jan 01, 2016
9icetoo:

Valid point sha. But not every one is as lucky as you. But you've said it all sha
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by yinka500: 6:59pm On Jan 01, 2016
If you can buy it for 450k I'm planning to buy Toyota sport toks

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by diportivo: 7:46pm On Jan 01, 2016
yinka500:
If you can buy it for 450k I'm planning to buy Toyota sport toks

Oga mi

Show the front wey u take bash abeg

2 Likes

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by yinka500: 8:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
I will snap it tomorrow and send to you. It is the bomber and I have changed it completely. But where are u cos I'm from ibadan
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by samally: 8:41pm On Jan 01, 2016
Bro, you got me cracking ....you know what his talking about..but, you just decide to pull his legs
i don't know why people see japs cars as best and rest and junks..Anyway have learn my lessen here

please can you take a look at this below topic and have a say please.
thanks and happy new new to you
https://www.nairaland.com/2834257/how-good-bmw-x5-2003

Siena:

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by 9icetoo(m): 9:41am On Jan 02, 2016
IamChiboi:
Valid point sha. But not every one is as lucky as you. But you've said it all sha
luck? I don't think so. I have bought three naija used cars and they are all going strong. let me give you an instance. I bought a Honda city Nigerian used which the owner disposed of because his mech used the wrong gear fluid to service the CVT. it was also involved in a collision and had been repaired. I knew it would me a bit to correct the issue with the gearbox. I consulted gazzuzz and bought genuine oem fluids from Luvinhubby. the car drives like a dream now. same with my Camry and I have already talked about the Skoda. when u fit a brand new OEM part in a car, that parts life cycle starts counting from zero again while a tokunbo car or parts has already depreciated by a substantial amount. that's the way I look at it. and I don't trust mechanics to tell me the truth about the condition of a car.

1 Like

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by Ecomix: 10:54am On Jan 04, 2016
I can buy your pencil light and I sell cars. I currently have a full option US sport 2005.
call or whatsapp me on 07046500077 so we can swap and transact.
i also gives loans to buy cars if you dont have the complete money ONLY to SALARY erarners.
So call me or whasapp me 07046500077. Will expect your call.

1 Like

Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 04, 2016
yinka500:

Sorry for u bros, last june I was also scammed by a car owner who sold me a clean looking 2002 rx300 lexus, the price was too good to be true, had to travel to lagos in the company of a friend to inspect and purchase the car.

Engine and body was ok, so was the interior, but the movement was sluggish, I was told it need a new transmission oil, which i replaced ,on the way to asaba, the car broke down .

A mechanic confirmed my worst fears the transmission had packed up, as I speak I am looking for another transmission to replace with, the vehicle has been parked in my house since july last yr, it has rejected other transmissions put in it.

i know understand the full meaning of the word penny wise pound foolish.

Even though I spent less than 1m on the purchase of the vehicle, the cost to date has over shoot 1m ,I should have bought a direct tokunbo, even in my locality at ph, the tribe to lagos was pointless.

The only thing I got from its previous owners is a useless apology.

So when buying a Nigeria used vehicle avoid automatic transmissions, they have a very short life.
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by MPVGoddess: 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
kaeforum:

Sorry for u bros, last june I was also scammed by a car owner who sold me a clean looking 2002 rx300 lexus, the price was too good to be true, had to travel to lagos in the company of a friend to inspect and purchase the car.

Engine and body was ok, so was the interior, but the movement was sluggish, I was told it need a new transmission oil, which i replaced ,on the way to asaba, the car broke down .

A mechanic confirmed my worst fears the transmission had packed up, as I speak I am looking for another transmission to replace with, the vehicle has been parked in my house since july last yr, it has rejected other transmissions put in it.

i know understand the full meaning of the word penny wise pound foolish.

Even though I spent less than 1m on the purchase of the vehicle, the cost to date has over shoot 1m ,I should have bought a direct tokunbo, even in my locality at ph, the tribe to lagos was pointless.

The only thing I got from its previous owners is a useless apology.

So when buying a Nigeria used vehicle avoid automatic transmissions, they have a very short life.

Please can someone knowledgeable in cars explain the bolded to me?

As for the bolded and italicized, my experience has been great so far so i would say it all depends.

I guess it needed a new transmission not just an oil change. And the former seller decided to run for cover, while hoodwinking you into a bad deal.
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by kingreign(m): 3:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Its a two way thing, but depends on the state of the car and the intent of the seller with regards to the car. Many people have sold defective naija used cars, many people have sold pristine naija used car. All my cars that I sold are still running strong. I sold a qx4 infinti 2 years ago, its still running fine because I still meets the man I sold it to. I am selling my highlander and I know the new owner will enjoy it very well due to my maintenance culture.
Re: 9ja Used Car Is Not The Best by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 05, 2016
MPVGoddess:

Please can someone knowledgeable in cars explain the bolded to me?

As for the bolded and italicized, my experience has been great so far so i would say it all depends.

I guess it needed a new transmission not just an oil change. And the former seller decided to run for cover, while hoodwinking you into a bad deal.

Thats exactly my point, there was no clear way of telling until the car was driven on the high way, am not condeming auto trans, only saying buyers should be wary of the nigerian used ones, cos we dont have the capacity to repair them.

Even the replacement ones people purchase has an element of luck in it, you may buy a good one or a bad one, I think the message is very clear.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Between 2008 C300, 2010 VW Cc And 2010 Is250 / Lost My Temporary Drivers License / Nigeria’s New Auto Policy Drops import By 20%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.