Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,294 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:50 AM

Steve Job's Views on God, After-life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Steve Job's Views on God, After-life (5558 Views)

Is It Proper For A Woman To Dress This Way And Preach On God's Alter? (Photo) / Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. / 10 Kinds Of Christians That Put A Smile On God's Face (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
Steve Jobs’ biographer was with Jobs near the final weeks of his cancer battle and reveals an enlightened and complicated view that Jobs had of God and the afterlife. Steve Jobs may have begun life as a Bhuddist (he was married by a Buddhist monk Kobun Chino & Forbes magazine is publishing a graphic novel on the Tao of Steve Jobs), but his end of life cancer crisis challenged his thinking about everything from God to the afterlife.

The internal debate over God and life after death is captured by 60 Minutes which interviewed the biographer Walter Issacson. The author was granted rare access into Steve’s life and interviewed Steve Jobs 40 times before his death. Below is a transcript excerpt where the questions on God and death are addressed (video at bottom).

Narrator: In their final meetings, Jobs would occasionally bring up the subject of death.

Steve Jobs: I saw my life as an arc. And that it would end and compared to that nothing mattered. You’re born alone, you’re gonna die alone. And does anything else really matter? I mean what is it exactly is it that you have to lose Steve? You know? There’s nothing.

Narrator: He survived nearly eight years with his cancer. And in the final meeting with Isaacson in mid-August, still held out hope that there might be one new drug that could save him.

Walter Isaacson: He asked me at one point, he said, “There are going to be things in this book I don’t like, right?” And I kind of smiled and said, “Yep. You know, there’ll be probably things you don’t like.” He said, “That’s fine, that’s fine. I won’t read it when it comes out. I’ll read it six months or a year from now.”

Steve Kroft: Did you have any discussions within that day or at any other time about an afterlife?

Walter Isaacson: I remember sitting in his backyard in his garden one day and he started talking about God. He said, “Sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don’t. I think it’s 50-50 maybe. But ever since I’ve had cancer, I’ve been thinking about it more. And I find myself believing a bit more. I kind of– maybe it’s ’cause I want to believe in an afterlife. That when you die, it doesn’t just all disappear. The wisdom you’ve accumulated. Somehow it lives on.” Then he paused for a second and he said, “Yeah, but sometimes I think it’s just like an on-off switch. Click and you’re gone.” He said and paused again, and he said, “And that’s why I don’t like putting on-off switches on Apple devices.”

Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2016
Someone (a converted atheist) once said: It's very easy to be an atheist when you're successful, but it's very difficult to be an atheist when on your dying bed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 6:55pm On Jan 02, 2016
NORAD:
Someone once said: It's very easy to be an atheist when you're successful, but it's very difficult to be an atheist when on your dying bed.

I hope you realize that everyone is an atheist as far as other Gods of other religions are concerned. On your deathbed you too will remain an atheist as far as, say Orunmila or Shiva or Allah, is concerned.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 02, 2016
I don't know whether the OP didn't see where he said I want to believe there is an afterlife
undecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 02, 2016
lanre316:

I hope you realize that everyone is an atheist as far as other Gods of other religions are concerned. On your deathbed you too will remain an atheist as far as, say Orunmila or Shiva or Allah, is concerned.

Thank you for that insight smiley

1 Like

Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 02, 2016
SirWere:
I don't know whether the OP didn't see where he said I want to believe there is an afterlife

Oh, I saw it clearly. He wanted to...
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 02, 2016
NORAD:

Case in point
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 02, 2016
NORAD:

Case in point
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 02, 2016
SirWere:
Case in point

For a man close to death, the statement

"sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don’t. I think it’s 50-50 maybe"

is saddening.

I like Steve Jobs as a person, but I want to use his life and death to explain the vanity inherent in pursuing riches when the Bible clearly says otherwise.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by kirchofff(m): 4:14am On Jan 03, 2016
Hmmm,, when u're dying u'll believe in God....even if u are an atheist

1 Like

Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by vooks: 4:59am On Jan 03, 2016
Heard he was so much into New Age bullshiet and this accelerated his cancer
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 5:47am On Jan 03, 2016
kirchofff:
Hmmm,, when u're dying u'll believe in God....even if u are an atheist

It's a lie you guys like to parrot around. Go read up on the last days of Christopher Hitchens.

Personally I had close encounter with death recently when I was involved in an accident and god/religion was the last thing on my mind. Why? Because I'm not an half-assed atheist who still doubt whether heaven/hell may be real. I know for sure that they're totally man-made carrot and stick mechanism that religion uses on people and I know for certain that after death all humans returns to the exact state of nothingness/non-consciousness they were before their birth, so on my dying day, I, as well as any other fully convinced atheists like me, will won't call on any Jehovah or Jesus, exactly the same way you will not call on Vishnu or Allah or Mohammed on your dying day. Get that clear.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
lanre316:

It's a lie you guys like to parrot around. Go read up on the last days of Christopher Hitchens.

Personally I had close encounter with death recently when I was involved in an accident and god/religion was the last thing on my mind. Why? Because I'm not an half-assed atheist who still doubt whether heaven/hell may be real. I know for sure that they're totally man-made carrot and stick mechanism that religion uses on people and I know for certain that after death all humans returns to the exact state of nothingness/non-consciousness they were before their birth, so on my dying day, I, as well as any other fully convinced atheists like me, will won't call on any Jehovah or Jesus, exactly the same way you will not call on Vishnu or Allah or Mohammed on your dying day. Get that clear.

Good luck to you then. May your "nothingness" work for you.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good" (Psalm 14:1).
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 12:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:

Good luck to you then. May your "nothingness" work for you.

Thanks for your understanding. LOL.

But really you don't need to pray it works for me or anybody. It's like praying that water will evaporate when it heats up to the boiling point. No prayers needed. It's just a logical fact. [edited]
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good" (Psalm 14:1).

Hmm. Atheists are fools, corrupt, abominable and not good just because your holy books say so?

Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Seun Osewa are all fools, not minding their intelligence and great inventions, but they're fools just because your own holy book say so. Okay I hear you o.

You know some other holy book say you have committed the unpardonable sin by saying God has a son and you deserve to beheaded. I'm sure the outcome won't turn out fine if we all followed all the holy books authored by all the Gods who all claim to be the Creator.

1 Like

Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
lanre316:

You're welcome, friend.

Meanwhile, this is why I open threads like this one:

"Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men" (2 Cor 5:11).
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
lanre316:

Hmm. Atheists are fools, corrupt, abominable and not good just because your holy books say so?

Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Seun Osewa are all fools, not minding their intelligence and great inventions, but they're fools just because your own holy book say so. Okay I hear you o.

You know some other holy book say you have committed the unpardonable sin by saying God has a son and you deserve to beheaded. I'm sure the outcome won't turn out fine if we all followed all the holy books authored by all the Gods who all claim to be the Creator.

Which one of the Gods laid claim at deity first? If there's fake, then there must be original. All can't be original - all can't be fake either.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
lanre316:

But really you don't need to pray it works for me or anybody. It's like praying that water will evaporate when it heats up to the boiling point. No prayers needed. It's just a logical fact.

Fact #1: That was no prayer
Fact #2: I'm only using you to get across to others. You aren't necessarily the main focus for continuing with this conversation. No offense, please.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 1:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:

Which one of the Gods laid claim at deity first? If there's fake, then there must be original. All can't be original - all can't be fake either.

And you're sure your own religion's God is original while some other religion's God is fake? How lucky you are to born into the family that followed the right God. Lol.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 1:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:

Fact #1: That was no prayer
Fact #2: I'm only using you to get across to others. You aren't necessarily the main focus for continuing with this conversation. No offense, please.

No offense taken, bro.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 1:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:

You're welcome, friend.

Meanwhile, this is why I open threads like this one:

"Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men" (2 Cor 5:11).

Isn't it more efficient for your God to reveal himself to all mankind and prove all other Gods to be fake rather than wait till when everybody is dead and wake them all up again only to terrorize those who don't worship him according to "the terror of the Lord" verse you just quoted. Besides His own persuasion is more efficient than humans doing the persuasion for him. Don't you think?
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
lanre316:

Isn't it more efficient for your God to reveal himself to all mankind and prove all other Gods to be fake rather than wait till when everybody is dead and wake them all up again only to terrorize those who don't worship him according to "the terror of the Lord" verse you just quoted. Besides His own persuasion is more efficient than humans doing the persuasion for him. Don't you think?

Reveal Himself? I thought He did exactly that - in Jesus.

Remember even one of His own disciple said 'show us the Father, and that'll satisfy us'. He was amazed at that question and... In fact, here's the verse:

"Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. (John 14:8-10).
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
lanre316:

And you're sure your own religion's God is original while some other religion's God is fake? How lucky you are to born into the family that followed the right God. Lol.

And what gave you the impression I was born into a Christian family?
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 2:07pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:

Reveal Himself? I thought He did exactly that - in Jesus.

Remember even one of His own disciple said 'show us the Father, and that'll satisfy us'. He was amazed at that question and... In fact, here's the verse:

"Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. (John 14:8-10).

Well. I've not seen Jesus or any other God or son of God in any other religion. I have only seen humans persuading other humans about him quoting holy books written by other humans. If I see him or any other deity, my stance will definitely change.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by lanre316: 2:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:

And what gave you the impression I was born into a Christian family?
Oops. I stand corrected.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
lanre316:

Well. I've not seen Jesus or any other God or son of God in any other religion. I have only seen humans persuading other humans about him quoting holy books written by other humans. If I see him or any other deity, my stance will definitely change.

Seriously now, you mean you've never met or know anyone who had a complete change of life and then attribute it to some encounter with Jesus?

That's all you need. That's how He manifests Himself and His power.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by ichommy(m): 2:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
grin cheesy
SirWere:
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
NORAD:

For a man close to death, the statement

"sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don’t. I think it’s 50-50 maybe"

is saddening.

I like Steve Jobs as a person, but I want to use his life and death to explain the vanity inherent in pursuing riches when the Bible clearly says otherwise.
Wait, why is it so hard for christians to accept that atheists live perfectly happy lives and die peacefully Why do you cling on to the eternity/afterlife hypothesis so desperately
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
SirWere:
Wait, why is it so hard for christians to accept that atheists live perfectly happy lives and die peacefully Why do you cling on to the eternity/afterlife hypothesis so desperately

You don't know that. Some of the worst atheists the world has ever known lamented greatly on their deathbed.

Their last words are on record, and were never disputed.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
Worst Atheists? Moving on....
The reason why some atheists are "afraid" of the death bed is because of Pascal's wager.
NORAD:

You don't know that. Some of the worst atheists the world has ever known lamented greatly on their deathbed.

Their last words are on record, and were never disputed.
Re: Steve Job's Views on God, After-life by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
SirWere:
Worst Atheists? Moving on....
The reason why some atheists are "afraid" of the death bed is because of Pascal's wager.

Perhaps I should let you in on some of their 'cries'? You can also explain your Pascal's wager to them:

[b]Caesar Borgia: "While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die."

Thomas Hobbs political philosopher "I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark."

Thomas Payne, the leading atheistic writer in American colonies: "Stay with me, for God's sake; I cannot bear to be left alone , O Lord, help me! O God, what have I done to suffer so much? What will become of me hereafter? "I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. 0 Lord, help me! Christ, help me! …No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England "Until this moment I thought there was neither a God nor a hell. Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty."

Voltaire, famous anti-christian atheist: "I am abandoned by God and man; I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months' life." (He said this to Dr. Fochin, who told him it could not be done.) "Then I shall die and go to hell!" (His nurse said: "For all the money in Europe I wouldn’t want to see another unbeliever die! All night long he cried for forgiveness."

Robert Ingersoll: "O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!" (Some say it was this way: "Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!".

David Hume, atheist philosopher famous for his philosophy of empiricism and skepticism of religion, he cried loud on his death bed "I am in flames!" It is said his "desperation was a horrible scene".

Napoleon Bonaparte, the French emperor, and who, like Adolf Hitler, brought death to millions to satisfy his greedy, power-mad, selfish ambitions for world conquest: "I die before my time, and my body will be given back to the earth. Such is the fate of him who has been called the great Napoleon. What an abyss between my deep misery and the eternal kingdom of Christ!”

Sir Francis Newport, the head of an English Atheist club to those gathered around his deathbed: "You need not tell me there is no God for I know there is one, and that I am in His presence! You need not tell me there is no hell. I feel myself already slipping. Wretches, cease your idle talk about there being hope for me! I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell! …Oh, that I could lie for a thousand years upon the fire that is never quenched, to purchase the favor of God and be united to Him again. But it is a fruitless wish. Millions and millions of years will bring me no nearer the end of my torments than one poor hour. Oh, eternity, eternity forever and forever!, Oh, the insufferable pangs of Hell!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GHhtTqtTTo

Charles IX was the French king who urged on by his mother, gave the order for the massacre of the French Huguenots, in which 15,000 souls were slaughtered in Paris alone and 100,000 in other sections of France, for no other reason than that they loved Christ. The guilty king suffered miserably for years after that event. He finally died, bathed in blood bursting from his veins. To his physicians he said in his last hours: "Asleep or awake, I see the mangled forms of the Huguenots passing before me. They drop with blood. They point at their open wounds. Oh! That I had spared at least the little infants at the bosom! What blood! I know not where I am. How will all this end? What shall I do? I am lost forever! I know it. Oh, I have done wrong."

David Strauss, leading representative of German rationalism, after spending a lifetime erasing belief in God from the minds of others: "My philosophy leaves me utterly forlorn! I feel like one caught in the merciless jaws of an automatic machine, not knowing at what time one of its great hammers may crush me!"

In a Newsweek interview with Svetlana Stalin, the daughter of Josef Stalin, she told of her father's death: "My father died a difficult and terrible death. . God grants an easy death only to the just. . At what seemed the very last moment he suddenly opened his eyes and cast a glance over everyone in the room. It was a terrible glance, insane or perhaps angry. . His left hand was raised, as though he were pointing to something above and bringing down a curse on us all. The gesture was full of menace. . The next moment he was dead."

Anton LeVey author of the Satanic Bible and high priest of the religion dedicated to the worship of Satan. Some of his famous quotes are “There is a beast in man that needs to be exercised, not exorcised”. His dying words were "Oh my, oh my, what have I done, there is something very wrong…there is something very wrong….” [/b]

(1) (Reply)

Does God Really Answer Prayers? / About Death: Inviting: DeepSight, Thehomer, Ihedinobi, Reyginus, Kay 17 etc. / I Keep Having Dreams About Rapture..... Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.