Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer (26090 Views)

IPOB: No Evidence Military Killed Any In Abia, Python Dance 3 Coming - Col. Musa / Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / Military Killed Innocent Women And Children - NDA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Jazzlite: 12:33am On Jan 02, 2016
Jesus Christ was killed according to the biblical narration. How did his mother take it? She left things to God. Prophets of God were killed in the past. All the children of Prophet Mohammed were killed. They referred everything to divine justice. We have overcome it. We have left everything to God

By Ben Agande

For Dr Waziri Isa Gwantu, December 13, 2015 will ever remain a dark day for the remaining days of his life. That was the day he lost four of his children— three boys and a girl; all university undergraduates during the tragic encounter between members of the Nigerian Army and the Shiites Islamic sect in Zaria. According to Nigerian security sources, while on his way to pay a courtesy visit to the Emir of Zaria, the convoy of the Chief of Army staff ran into a road block mounted by members of the Shiite sect along Sokoto road. All entreaties made to members of the sect to allow the army chief pass fell on deaf ears.
•Dr Waziri Isa Gwantu

•Dr Waziri Isa Gwantu

One thing led to the other and at the end of the encounter, over many members of the sect were reportedly killed. The army claimed that they were first attacked by members of the sect, a claim disputed by the sect who alleged that the act was premeditated by government to decimate members of the sect in the country. The kaduna state government has since set up a committee to investigate the matter.

But for Dr Waziri, no matter the outcome of the panel set up by government, the ultimate verdict on what happened and who is culpable would be determined by God on the day of judgment. When Saturday Vanguard traced him to Zaria and eventually Nassarawa state when he had gone after the ugly incidence, we found a man who was utterly devastated by the loss of four children in one fell swoop. At a point during the interview, he almost gave in to his emotions but found solace in his religion which preaches that nothing can happen to any man except it is sanctioned by God.

Narrating the events that led to the black Saturday, Dr Waziri said there was no premonition that something ominous was lurking in the corner when he drove his children to the Shiite headquarters along Sokoto road to perform the Malud ceremony on the First day of the month of the birth of prophet Muhammad.

According to him, “it was the first day of the month which our prophet, Mohammed was born so we usually organize Maulud Programme on the first day of the month. On that very day, I took my children in my car to the venue Of the Programme. But on getting to a certain point, I heard gun shots and the roads were blocked.

I asked and was told that there was a misunderstanding between the military and the Shiites. I wasn’t surprised hearing this because six months before then, our sheikh had informed us that he got security reports that the military was trying to perfect a scenario where they would tell the world that the military was attacked by the Shiites and then use that as an excuse to descend on every member of the movement.

Bearing that in mind, I decided to take the children to the Sheikh’s house thinking that would be a safe place to stay until the crisis subsided after which we would then go back for the Programme. I dropped them and went back to the house at about 5pm leaving an instruction that when the Sheikh is ready for the Programme, they should call me”.

But when the call eventually came from one of his sons at about 10pm, it was not to report that the sheikh, (El Zakzaky) was ready for the programme but that one of his sons had been shot by the army at the residence of the leader of the Shiite in Nigeria. The first instinct as a father was to rush to where his son was shot but he was told by the son that all the roads leading to the sheikh’s residence had been blocked by the army. While still weighing his options, another of his son called to informed him that the army were pointing their guns at him.

“One hour later, he called me to say he had been shot in the leg. I could hear gun shots in the back ground. At about 1 am, l got another call but this time from my daughter to inform me that she was shot on her belly. She was crying and I couldn’t go to help them because the roads leading to the residence was blocked.

“On the following day, my eldest son called to tell me that there were corpses everywhere and he was among the few surviving souls in the place. I encouraged him to keep praying and as we were talking, he informed me that they were approaching him with guns and that he isn’t sure his father will get to speak with him again . Shortly after, the line went off. He was also killed.

“The one that first called me on Saturday night told me that he was dying because of the loss of so much blood. I was devastated because I could not go to help them. I called Reverend Father Matthew Kukah to appeal to government to stop the killing in Zaria. I also called Reverend Hayap in Kaduna and reported to him what was going on” he lamented.

Reacting to the allegations that the Shiites provoked the military by first attacking them which drew the ire of the military, Dr Waziri said the allegation was meant to give a dog a bad name in order to hang it. According to him,the Shiites do not believe in violence as it is against the dictate of Islam. He wondered why people who accused the Shiites of keeping weapons were not able to produce one single victim among the security forces that were said to have been attacked.

“We don’t believe in weapons. We don’t believe in killing. We are not ISIS or Boko Haram who call themselves Sunnis” he fumed. He said what was most painful was the fact that as the only graduate in his family, he believed that he would train his children to become useful citizens that would contribute to the development of the country. He did not only lose them but he also did not have the dignity of praying for and giving them a befitting burial as they were all allegedly burnt and given mass burial by the army.
•The four children killed

•The four children killed

“What is even more painful is that after killing these children, they denied us access to their corpses so that we could pray for them and bury them appropriately. They were buried in mass graves. What offense have we committed to deserve this kind of oppression? Even Boko Haram that are known to be the worst killers in the world are not treated this way” he cried.

Though devastated by the death of his four children, Dr Waziri said he and his wife have taken solace in the fact that even prophets were killed for what they believed in. “Jesus Christ was killed according to the biblical narration. How did his mother take it? She left things to God. Prophets of God were killed in the past. All the children of Prophet Mohammed were killed. They referred everything to divine justice. We have overcome it. We have left everything to God”

And for the government and the security services, Dr Waziri have a defiant message for them: “I have fourteen children so the government still has ten more to kill. If they think that killing will kill an ideology, they are in for surprise” he said

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/how-nigerias-military-killed-my-4-children-in-one-night-abu-lecturer/

seun, mynd44, lalasticlala

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by dirolad(m): 12:36am On Jan 02, 2016
Chisos Ooo, 4 at once? Check d bad thing you have done in the past, or na wu u offend for school? Dem dey do u big time.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Geniro: 12:42am On Jan 02, 2016
dirolad:
Chisos Ooo, 4 at once? Check d bad thing you have done in the past, or na wu u offend for school? Dem dey do u big time.

shame on you.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by jaymejate: 12:54am On Jan 02, 2016
dirolad:

[size=13pt]Yes bro, you have talked true. And i no trust lecturers.

Awon student ti pari ise e grin

R. I. P to the innocent children[/size]

5 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 02, 2016
Chai! This is so bad. undecided May their souls rest in peace.

dirolad:

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 02, 2016
Well, I guess the four overstepped their boundaries.

RIP anyway

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by samuelson06(m): 1:18am On Jan 02, 2016
I think we are tired of this Shiite story everyday. I wish it was the North clamoring for self determination. These people are real trouble to Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by ademega(m): 2:17am On Jan 02, 2016
this is a sorry case

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by DaBullIT(m): 2:34am On Jan 02, 2016
May thier souls rest in peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by oliidell(m): 2:42am On Jan 02, 2016
Different accounts everyday but one thing is certain. The truth will always prevail.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by onatisi(m): 4:08am On Jan 02, 2016
The lecturer dropped his sons and went back home knowing fully well that there was problem between the army and the sect. Why didn't he take his children back home with him ?

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by hollywater: 4:21am On Jan 02, 2016
Like he said, God knows best. Nothing gose for nothing. RIP to the dead.As a Lecturer, one would've expect you to have lectured your children how to stay out of trouble anyway.

4 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Demmocrats(m): 4:23am On Jan 02, 2016
Village Oracle at work cheesy cheesy
Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by eagleeye2: 4:39am On Jan 02, 2016
He wondered why people who accused the Shiites of keeping weapons were not able to produce one single victim among the security forces that were said to have been attacked

Why are people not asking these type of questions?
The Army committed extra judicial killings and we seem not to bother much. Who knows where and when next the army may decide to strike.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by urbanmonk: 5:38am On Jan 02, 2016
Burutai ICC awaits you and bubu

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by onatisi(m): 6:27am On Jan 02, 2016
Never give your enemy the chance or excuse to strike or attack you. The sect knew that the army was looking for an excuse to deal with them ruthlessly and destroy them but yet went ahead to block the road and refuse the chief of army staff easy passage on government road!!!!!!
It would have been easier for them if it was the convoy of civilian minister of politician that was blocked but instead they stupidly decided to block the road against the military that was already looking for an excuse to attack them

24 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Nobody: 7:16am On Jan 02, 2016
Why call Bishop Kukah and Rev Hayab instead of Imam of Zaria and Kaduna governor who are fellow moslems? It is write up like this one that made that useless Iranian professor on press TV accuse CAN. it was individuals like Dr Waziri that gave the Iranians false information involving CAN in their sectarian genocide. Vanguard reported he called Bishop Kukah and Hayab like say the reverend gentle men have knowledge and wherewithal to stop the ongoing carnage. Vanguard need to take this report down there site because it portrays the the two reverend gentle men as having influence in government to stop the military or otherwise.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by juman(m): 7:50am On Jan 02, 2016
Hmmmmm

See wickedness of highest order.

This is not democracy.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by juman(m): 7:51am On Jan 02, 2016
Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by juman(m): 7:54am On Jan 02, 2016
Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Unfortunate.

The old man president that can kill his innocent hausa people in hundreds like that, any time he strikes people of other regions they would be killed in thousands.

nigeria can never be a good country. Everytime everytime we have useless "leaders".

3 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by kulikuli26: 7:55am On Jan 02, 2016
eagleeye2:
Why are people not asking these type of questions?
The Army committed extra judicial killings and we seem not to bother much. Who knows where and when next the army may decide to strike.
Thank you. You will be surprised at the level of ignorance that exist in this country today.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by drss(m): 8:10am On Jan 02, 2016
d innocent ipods n shiites members killed extra judicioulsy by dis administration will be on buari's head.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Super1Star: 8:10am On Jan 02, 2016
The lecturer should save us the bullocks , if he can send his children to such militia training camp, that is his headache.

Watching the parade and training of the Shiites is not different from watching Hezbollah in training.

4 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Tallesty1(m): 9:45am On Jan 02, 2016
If they think that killing will kill an ideology, they are in for surprise
True that sir.

True that.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by lielbree: 10:40am On Jan 02, 2016
Bunch of savage dogs

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by sammyj: 10:41am On Jan 02, 2016
Sorry for your lost. RIP to them !!! cool

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Sunnycliff(m): 10:42am On Jan 02, 2016
An indelible scar
Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by kunzaar83(m): 10:42am On Jan 02, 2016
Serves him right.... I m even begining 2 start doubting the authenticity of that PhD, how can an educated man of his cadre take his lovely kids to people like that shiites? Haba...

Sorry 2 say this but an illitrate northern christian have common sence more than majority of Highly educated northen Muslims...

#My opinion#

4 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by preciousMI1(f): 10:42am On Jan 02, 2016
[i][/i]if I say I know what to comment I'm deceiving myself and d truth is not in me...

I just booked space b4 reading this piece.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by wissenschaften(m): 10:43am On Jan 02, 2016
dirolad:
you need an electric pole to be forced in to ur asshole for this your comment

7 Likes

Re: How Nigeria’s Military Killed My 4 Children In One Night – ABU Lecturer by Lordave: 10:43am On Jan 02, 2016
Barbarians!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cross River Acquires 20 Innoson Motors Trucks And 200 Waste Collection Bins / Governor Ikpeazu Receives Obasanjo In Abia As He Arrives For A Burial Ceremony / All My Appointees Have Abandoned Me – Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.