Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,447 members, 7,781,296 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:58 AM

Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria (11180 Views)

10 Most Powerful Smartphones In The World In Q1 2016, Chinese Brands Took Over / Tecno, The Highest Selling Mobile Brand In Nigeria Revealed / Top 5 Most Popular Mobile Phone Brands In Nigeria 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 02, 2016
Gionee (Gionee Communication Equipment Co. Ltd.) is a Chinese mobile phone manufacturer based in Shenzhen, Guangdongprovince.[2] Founded in 2002,[3] it is one of China’s largest mobile phone manufacturers.[4] According to Gartner, its market share in China was 4.7% in 2012,[5] and it has expanded into other markets, including India, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Vietnam, Taiwan, Myanmar, Thailand, Philippines and Algeria.[6]
After 2010, Gionee started focusing on slimmer smartphone designs, and by 2014, Gionee held the title of the slimmest smartphone in the world with the Gionee Elife S5.5 whose body is only 5.5mm thick. Gionee launched an even thinner smartphone, the Gionee Elife S5.1, which is only 5.15mm thick.

TECNO TELECOM LIMITED, established in July 2006 in Hong Kong, is a comprehensive mobile phone manufacturer specializing in R&grin, manufacturing, sales and service. With years of development, it has now become one of the major mobile phone suppliers in the world and one of the largest mobile phone manufacturers in China.
In the year of 2008, TECNO decided to focus on Africa as its key market and accordingly launched TECNO brand strategy. Through three years of efforts, TECNO has achieved initial success with its outstanding and unique marketing strategy, and has now become one of the most popular mobile phone brands in many countries in Africa. Besides, it has been recognized as the NO.1 Dual SIM mobile phone brand in those countries with TECNO branches, including Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana, etc. In 2010, TECNO has ascended into the top three mobile phone brands in Africa.

I have just given a brief history on both mobile brands GIONEE AND TECNO. Tecno as a brand has made Africa its major focus while gionee focuses on Asian countries and Nigeria.
As of now tecno has been given the crown of best smartphone sales in Africa which is due to their consistency, understanding of the African market and innovation. But still with all this they seem not to be an ambitious brand because they have decided to not to push their brand beyond Africa and it kind of a concern for me. I have heard from many people referring to the brand as a cheap knock off of Samsung brands, this is not taking anything from them though.
On the other hand there is the gionee brand which is a well known brand beyond the shores of Nigeria and Africa. The company also earned a global recognition for manufacturing the slimmest phone in 2014, the Elife S5.5, although it has been overtaken by Micromax’s Canvas Sliver 5. The gionee brand is also known for making smartphones with great battery life and has had huge success with this strategy.

BOTH BRANDS ARE DEFINITELY HOUSEHOLD NAMES IN NIGERIA BUT AM SURE THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN OUT THERE HAS A FAVOURITE OF THE TWO. SO I AM GOING TO ASK USERS ON THIS MEDIUM TO TELL ME THEIR OPINIONS ON WHICH BRAND THEY THINK MAKES THE BEST SMARTPHONES BASED ON THEIR PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. (THIS IS NOT AN ARTICLE TO CREATE BAD BLOOD)
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by KaffyK(f): 7:22pm On Jan 02, 2016
OP. I vote Gionee, anyday, anytime.

1 Like

Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Androidoverlord: 7:23pm On Jan 02, 2016
Tecno is successful in Africa, true, but it's mostly due to lack of awareness than production of good quality phones. Especially Nigerians, they just buy the phones whose adverts they have seen without checking out specs. That's why they've been able to gain ground only in Africa and not other parts of the world. A brand that has consistently insisted on not making updates available on its phone should not be taken seriously.
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Gaffy02: 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2016
KaffyK:
OP. I vote Gionee, anyday, anytime.
why gionee ?
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Gaffy02: 7:28pm On Jan 02, 2016
Androidoverlord:
Tecno is successful in Africa, true, but it's mostly due to lack of awareness than production of good quality phones. Especially Nigerians, they just buy the phones whose adverts they have seen without checking out specs. That's why they've been able to gain ground only in Africa and not other parts of the world. A brand that has consistently insisted on not making updates available on its phone should not be taken seriously.
so this means you had take a gionee over Tecno ?
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 02, 2016
Tecno anytime any day. Tecno have penetrated Nigeria market up to a point that Nokia bow. At least in every household in Nigeria, they use it especially the low income earners. What was their strategy? they produced a dual sim phone with some features in other java phones for example their torch light phone has the ability to snap photo, record video and even browse with it at an affordable price ( although not all ). At least someone earning N18,000 minimum wage can buy a phone worth N2,500 and still be able to solve other needs. secondly they understood the market that they made most Nigerians aware that some these top android brand were using names to sell their product. They launched Tecno N3 which was their first android phone in Nigeria and it turn out to be a huge success. Today visit any phone dealer in Nigeria and ask them which brand yield high turnover?
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Chiakaebe: 7:31pm On Jan 02, 2016
Tecno has a lot of fans and even more enemies and yes it's more popular in Nigeria. The thing is people don't know gionee and it's sad. I use a gionee splus, when I bought it all my friends were yabbing me, until I showed them it's amazing specs. Stop a random person and say gionee or tecno, they'd say tecno because they don't know gionee so gionee needs to publicize well.
But I see a lot of threads about gionee here and I'm happy, meaning they know what they are doing and Nigerians will soon get the message.
Happy new year.
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:
Tecno anytime any day. Tecno have penetrated Nigeria market up to a point that Nokia bow. At least in every household in Nigeria, they use it especially the low income earners. What was their strategy? they produced a dual sim phone with some features in other java phones for example their torch light phone has the ability to snap photo, record video and even browse with it at an affordable price ( although not all ). At least someone earning N18,000 minimum wage can buy a phone worth N2,500 and still be able to solve other needs. secondly they understood the market that they made most Nigerians aware that some these top android brand were using names to sell their product. They launched Tecno N3 which was their first android phone in Nigeria and it turn out to be a huge success. Today visit any phone dealer in Nigeria and ask them which brand yield high turnover?
you have a point here sir. But we can't all deny the fact Tecno has played on our intelligence by producing below par phones
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Androidoverlord: 7:34pm On Jan 02, 2016
Yes of course, any day anytime, im larticular about the splus and m5
Gaffy02:
so this means you had take a gionee over Tecno ?
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Androidoverlord: 7:35pm On Jan 02, 2016
They started out with so much promise, but they missed it along the way
temitiipsy:
you have a point here sir. But we can't all deny the fact Tecno has played on our intelligence by producing below par phones
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 02, 2016
Androidoverlord:
They started out with so much promise, but they missed it along the way
you definitely know this. They stopped being innovative and became copycats
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Gaffy02: 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2016
Androidoverlord:
Yes of course, any day anytime, im larticular about the splus and m5
that's good. Seems the splus has made an impression with you. I use it also. Great smartphone
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by goziesweetie: 7:44pm On Jan 02, 2016
This article is very important. Nigerians need to know more about Gionee. They are better than tecno for just the splus alone with its slimness and madass camera. I prefer gionee.
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Androidoverlord: 7:47pm On Jan 02, 2016
But they also have very good marketing that gionee needs to learn from. Getting sales is the most important thing in business
temitiipsy:
you definitely know this. They stopped being innovative and became copycats
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:
to be sure I understand. Tecno is better because they make more revenue in Nigeria not that they make great smartphone ? I would take a working smartphone over a revenue maker though

1 Like

Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Androidoverlord: 7:48pm On Jan 02, 2016
Same to you madam, this comment is too brilliant
Chiakaebe:
Tecno has a lot of fans and even more enemies and yes it's more popular in Nigeria. The thing is people don't know gionee and it's sad. I use a gionee splus, when I bought it all my friends were yabbing me, until I showed them it's amazing specs. Stop a random person and say gionee or tecno, they'd say tecno because they don't know gionee so gionee needs to publicize well.
But I see a lot of threads about gionee here and I'm happy, meaning they know what they are doing and Nigerians will soon get the message.
Happy new year.
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 02, 2016
temitiipsy:
You got to know that because different brands were pushing their products to Nigeria market on daily basis. Tecno's mistake was churning out same device with slight modifications e.g You can count all the alphabetical phones they produced since 2013 to date. It was their weak point that others saw that made them lost a slight share in the android world to the likes of infinix, gionee e.t.c. Thanks to competition, they are learning their lesson on daily basis. Tecno L5 was launched to counter one of the gionee mini phones. As at now, many nairalander are contemplating whether to buy gionee M3 mini or Tecno L5 because of battery life and price.
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 02, 2016
I lost faith in the Tecno brand when they decided to make a premium phone where the only standing out feature was a finger print scanner
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:

You got to know that because different brands were pushing their products to Nigeria market on daily basis. Tecno's mistake was churning out same device with slight modifications e.g You can count all the alphabetical phones they produced since 2013 to date. It was their weak point that others saw that made them lost a slight share in the android world to the likes of infinix, gionee e.t.c. Thanks to competition, they are learning their lesson on daily basis. Tecno L5 was launched to counter one of the gionee mini phones. As at now, many nairalander are contemplating whether to buy gionee M3 mini or Tecno L5 because of battery life and price.
without bias. Which would you pick out of the two you just mentioned
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 02, 2016
kessintona:
to be sure I understand. Tecno is better because they make more revenue in Nigeria not that they make great smartphone ? I would take a working smartphone over a revenue maker though
That's not totally correct. Every business man or corporate body Is out there to maximise profit But they need to study what the people actually want. Tecno knew economic situation in Nigeria especially as we have more lower income earners than higher income earners. They decide to come out with cheap and affordable phone for Nigerians especially the lower income earners. They step up their game in the launch of high quality phones at high price but how many persons actually bought it?. so they knew what they were doing before now and they understand the market very well
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by mogreen22: 8:01pm On Jan 02, 2016
Well for me, its definitely gionee. I am an Android lover and i like to experiment with brands. I started off with the tecno f7, few months in i had charging problems, I would plug in the phone, it would show its charging but it won't move. I went to their office, they told me they would fix it, two weeks later nothing, their excuse is non availability of parts, i had to take my phone to computer village, they stikk did not have a solution to it. They said it was peculiar to that phone. Had to resort to desktop. Then my second tecno, phantom a3 lovely front camera, well only during the day though. Few months in, i started getting the Storage running out ish, i deleted all my apps, still nothing. The camera cover at the back was so badly scratched that i could not take good snapshots at the back. Then i decided ti try the last option, the camcon c8. I actually bought the phone because of the camera contest between it and iPhone 6, the Review was given on this site, i must say kudos to that person cos he surely got gullible people to buy it, including me . Sigh. The camera was an eye sore. Once the lightening in the room is a lik bit dim, forget it, you can never get a good snapshot. I had to give out the phone. I bought a galaxy note 4 And later bought a gionee s plus. I must say, i use the gionee more. The camera quality far beats the note 4, is dual sim, it has this very sleek Design. The screen too, very crisp, Surprisingly it's takes better night Photos than the Note. I am still new to gionee sha, and still handling the phone with care, so far so good no problems yet. I hope it stays that way. So gionee for me, at least i can go to gsmarena and read user reviews before i get, but techno one only gets reviews from local blogs which normally is usually biased
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by mogreen22: 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2016
Gaffy02:
that's good. Seems the splus has made an impression with you. I use it also. Great smartphone
same here, i must say, i have been so impressed so far
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 02, 2016
temitiipsy:
without bias. Which would you pick out of the two you just mentioned
without being bias I would pick gionee why because of the following.
1. Most tecno phones lack OTA
2.Their picture quality are poor although not all
3. Most Gionee phones hardly spoil
But it all boils down to the availability of fund at my disposal.
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:

without being bias I would pick gionee why because of the following.
1. Most tecno phones lack OTA
2.Their picture quality are poor although not all
3. Most Gionee phones hardly spoil
But it all boils down to the availability of fund at my disposal.
good choice but I haven't seen OTA updates on gionee
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by mogreen22: 8:11pm On Jan 02, 2016
Androidoverlord:
But they also have very good marketing that gionee needs to learn from. Getting sales is the most important thing in business
i really do agree with this and i feel, it stems from the fact that tecnno was here way before gionne, hence they still have majority of the Android share in naija but trust me other brands are fast catching up and once xiaomi hits nigeria,then its bye bye to tecno and now the real competition would start between the top android brands in Nigeria. I so cant wait

1 Like

Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 02, 2016
If gionee can produce QWERTY and torch phone together, I will consider them. I make mistake alot when using the torch screen
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:

That's not totally correct. Every business man or corporate body Is out there to maximise profit But they need to study what the people actually want. Tecno knew economic situation in Nigeria especially as we have more lower income earners than higher income earners. They decide to come out with cheap and affordable phone for Nigerians especially the lower income earners. They step up their game in the launch of high quality phones at high price but how many persons actually bought it?. so they knew what they were doing before now and they understand the market very well
good point here. But opinions will differ on this issue
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 02, 2016
temitiipsy:
good choice but I haven't seen OTA updates on gionee
well that's why am still studying it. unlike infinix and others that has OTA, am yet to see any thread on gionee OTA. The way Nigerians rushed infinix still surprised me till today.
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by KaffyK(f): 8:17pm On Jan 02, 2016
Gaffy02:
why gionee ?
Dey re a more standard people outside nigeria
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Androidoverlord: 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2016
This is true. But now new brands like gionee are coming up with equally cheap smart phones of better quality. It won't take a day to win over the market but it would happen and soon. There is already a massive gionee awareness due to is outstanding quality.
asuustrike2009:

Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by goziesweetie: 8:22pm On Jan 02, 2016
Exactly. Techno not being on gsm arena says a lot about its poor standards.
mogreen22:
Well for me, its definitely gionee. I am an Android lover and i like to experiment with brands. I started off with the tecno f7, few months in i had charging problems, I would plug in the phone, it would show its charging but it won't move. I went to their office, they told me they would fix it, two weeks later nothing, their excuse is non availability of parts, i had to take my phone to computer village, they stikk did not have a solution to it. They said it was peculiar to that phone. Had to resort to desktop. Then my second tecno, phantom a3 lovely front camera, well only during the day though. Few months in, i started getting the Storage running out ish, i deleted all my apps, still nothing. The camera cover at the back was so badly scratched that i could not take good snapshots at the back. Then i decided ti try the last option, the camcon c8. I actually bought the phone because of the camera contest between it and iPhone 6, the Review was given on this site, i must say kudos to that person cos he surely got gullible people to buy it, including me . Sigh. The camera was an eye sore. Once the lightening in the room is a lik bit dim, forget it, you can never get a good snapshot. I had to give out the phone. I bought a galaxy note 4 And later bought a gionee s plus. I must say, i use the gionee more. The camera quality far beats the note 4, is dual sim, it has this very sleek Design. The screen too, very crisp, Surprisingly it's takes better night Photos than the Note. I am still new to gionee sha, and still handling the phone with care, so far so good no problems yet. I hope it stays that way. So gionee for me, at least i can go to gsmarena and read user reviews before i get, but techno one only gets reviews from local blogs which normally is usually biased
Re: Gionee, Tecno. The Rise Of Chinese Brands In Nigeria by Cerebrum(m): 8:25pm On Jan 02, 2016
Please, who is talking about Gionee in this time and age? I'm just hearing the brand name for the first time. Where do they come from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Infinix Note 5 Disadvantages. (must Read!!!) / Help!!! How Do I Change Fonts On My Infinix Hot S3 / The Powerbank Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.