Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) (24767 Views)

Engine Number And Chassis Number For Mercedes Benz C220 / Volvo Truck Cab And Chassis For Sale / Free VIN/Chassis Number Checks For All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 4:22am On Jun 14, 2009
I moved the discussions that started in a thread where a car was advertised here because the topic is very informative and because I wanted to avoid derailing the thread where the conversations started.
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 4:22am On Jun 14, 2009
For the benefit of all, I will post a response I gave elsewhere regarding the year model of cars. All cars have exactly ONE year model. There is no such thing as 92/93; 94/95; or 2005/2006 etc. The year of manufacture of a car is also not necessarily the same as the car's year model. The Chassis number or VIN of a car reveals its year model.

Below is a guideline to determine the exact year model of cars from their chassis number or VIN.

The 10th character of the Chassis or VIN number is not necessary numeric, but it is a consistent element which is required in North America and adopted in Japan, Germany, and EU, to encode the model year of the vehicle. Here's a guide for interpreting the 10th character of the VIN:

Code Year
A = 1980
B = 1981
C = 1982
D = 1983
E = 1984
F = 1985
G = 1986
H = 1987
J = 1988
K = 1989

Code Year
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T= 1996
V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999

Code Year
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
6 = 2006
7 = 2007
8 = 2008
9 = 2009

Code Year
A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
J = 2018
K = 2019

As you can see, the 10th character for 2001 through 2009 is numeric while it will be non numeric for 2010 through 2019. The actual car model of cars can thus be conclusively determined from the 10th digit if the model is 2001 through 2009, or from the chart above. I hope forumites find this information useful particularly since most cars are imported to Nigeria from the USA.

Monitor_1
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 4:25am On Jun 14, 2009
Monitor_1 Wrote:
For the benefit of all, I will post a response I gave elsewhere regarding the year model of cars. All cars have exactly ONE year model. There is no such thing as 92/93; 94/95; or 2005/2006 etc. The year of manufacture of a car is also not necessarily the same as the car's year model. The Chassis number or VIN of a car reveals its year model.

Below is a guideline to determine the exact year model of cars from their chassis number or VIN.

Busy_body replied

You are not exactly correct, but i don't blame you, you are a woman so you are allowed to goof sometimes

It is only in Europe that the VIN will always reveal a car's year model, cars in UK are based on the month/year they are registered, whilst those in US are based on the year the cars are purchased/sold - with more attention paid to the World Manufacturer's Identifier, which is not the 10th digit of a VIN number
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 4:26am On Jun 14, 2009
Busy_body:

You are not exactly correct, but i don't blame you, you are a woman so you are allowed to goof sometimes cheesy

It is only in Europe that the VIN will always reveal a car's year model, cars in UK are based on the month/year they are registered, whilst those in US are based on the year the cars are purchased/sold - with more attention paid to the World Manufacturer's Identifier, which is not the 10th digit of a VIN number wink

Your information is not accurate. Do a quick check on the cars advertised here and you can verify my statements, you can also read about the components of VINs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number and here is another explanation from Carfax http://www.carfax.com/vin_decoding.cfx

The year model of US cars are not based on when the cars are purchased, as you stated. Many 2010 model cars from the US are already being sold. Their models do not change to 2009 because they were sold in 2009, they remain 2010 models.

Hope you find those links informative.

Monitor_1
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 4:29am On Jun 14, 2009
Busy_Body Replies:
Gosh how am I gonna explain this considering the fact that I don't know how to handle dealing with women and their ish  How am I gonna get across my point without coming across as pedantic that it is your complete failure to recognise mid year model in cars that is causing the bone of contention 

You have taken my statement out of content, my comment ended with "and with more attention paid to the WMI"  And I know how to read and decode a VIN number thank you 

Right from the link you provided, why was this mentioned? What was the essence of its inclusion in the link "In order to identify exact year in passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 or less one must read position 7 as well as position 10." Why is it necessary to read position 7 and position 10, if it is as straightforward as "only position 10 is needed" according to your claim?

And whilst you are at it, can you explain what I dredged up from the same link you gave me about the disparity in the VIN of Volkswagon Golf MK5?

Quote from: Monitor_1 on Today at 01:53:43 AM
[colour]Their models do not change to 2009 because they were sold in 2009, they remain 2010 models.

Hope you find those links informative.

Monitor_1
Thanks.

Err if this is the case, why is Inspired_m always having unwarranted attacks from certain angles about misrepresentation undecided

I can already foresee a long drawn argument that no one is really gonna win undecided
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Busybody2(f): 5:05am On Jun 14, 2009
Erm, pardon me for being cynical, I find it hard to trust women, but how can I be so sure you moved all the points I raised across  tongue

Would be back in the morning, off to do a detailed wordcount to check you have not been up to any hanky-panky and tampered with my post and tweaked it to favour you whilst moving it tongue So if i were you, I'd be quaking in my boots cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 5:07am On Jun 14, 2009
Busy_body:

Gosh how am I gonna explain this considering the fact that I don't know how to handle dealing with women and their ish tongue How am I gonna get across my point without coming across as pedantic that it is your complete failure to recognise mid year model in cars that is causing the bone of contention undecided

You have taken my statement out of content, my comment ended with "and with more attention paid to the WMI" undecided And I know how to read and decode a VIN number thank you cool

Right from the link you provided, why was this mentioned? What was the essence of its inclusion in the link "In order to identify exact year in passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 or less one must read position 7 as well as position 10." Why is it necessary to read position 7 and position 10, if it is as straightforward as "only position 10 is needed" according to your claim?

And whilst you are at it, can you explain what I dredged up from the same link you gave me about the disparity in the VIN of Volkswagon Golf MK5?

Err if this is the case, why is Inspired_m always having unwarranted attacks from certain angles about misrepresentation undecided

I can already foresee a long drawn argument that no one is really gonna win undecided

Busy_body, thanks for reading through the links. I still maintain from the information in those links that the 10th digit of the VIN can be used to determing the exact year model of any car sold in the USA particularly those imported to Nigeria.  The site states that one consistent element of the VIN is the 10th digit, which is required (in North America) to encode the model year of the vehicle.

There is nothing ambiguous about the law. The sites also provide us with a chart that can be used to determing year model based on the content of the 10th digit of the VIN.

You stated the following
What was the essence of its inclusion in the link "In order to identify exact year in passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 or less one must read position 7 as well as position 10."

It is very easy to misread the statement if one does not read the statements before it. Here is the statement that preceeded your quote:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration proposed rule NHTSA-2008-0022 in April, 2008 with several changes to the VIN Requirements to all motor vehicles manufactured on or after April 30, 2009. There are three notable proposed changes in the new VIN structure that affect VIN deciphering systems:

2.In order to identify exact year in passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 or less one must read position 7 as well as position 10. For passenger cars, and for multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 lb or less, if position 7 is numeric, the model year in position 10 of the VIN refers to a year in the range 1980-2009. If position 7 is alphabetic, the model year in position 10 of VIN refers to a year in the range 2010-2039.

This proposed change will simply make it easy to determing the model year without the chart referenced in the site, which I also posted.  Thus if the 10th digit of a VIN is an "A", the chart in question would indicate that it is either a 1980 model or a 2010 model. One would need to see the car physically to ascertain the model. But with the proposed rule, position 7 in a 2010 model will be alphabetic, thus a VIN with a numeric character in the 7th position must be a 1980 model.

Please note that in either case the 10th position of the VIN still contains the information needed to determing the model year.

I stand to be corrected if my interpretation is wrong, but I think its quite clear that cars have exactly ONE year model and given the chart and the VIN, the year model can be determined quite easily. I venture to state that the exact year model of all cars imported to Nigeria from the USA can be determined from the 10th digit of the VIN and the chart I posted. I challenge you to submit a verifiable VIN of a car imported from the USA whose exact year model cannot be deciphered from the content of the 10th digit of the VIN and the posted chart.

I appreciate the courtesy shown in the discussion so far.

Monitor_1

1 Like

Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Busybody2(f): 5:30am On Jun 14, 2009
Monitor_1:

Busy_body, thanks for reading through the links. I still maintain from the information in those links that the 10th digit of the VIN can be used to determing the exact year model of any car sold in the USA particularly those imported to Nigeria.

I have never ever said it couldn't, check my other posts on VIN issue in this section wink You can even check all my posts above sef, that is if you have not doctored them tongue cheesy

Monitor_1:

The site states that one consistent element of the VIN is the 10th digit, which is required (in North America) to encode the model year of the vehicle.

There is nothing ambiguous about the law. The sites also provide us with a chart that can be used to determing year model based on the content of the 10th digit of the VIN.

Still does not explain why the same site stated that, in some cases, the 7th digit and the 10th digit has to be used together to determine the model year smiley

Monitor_1:

You stated the following

It is very easy to misread the statement if one does not read the statements before it.

Agreed, but this was the same trap you fell into when you quoted me out of context earlier on too wink

Monitor_1:

Here is the statement that preceeded your quote:

Sorry for being pedantic, though there is nothing wrong with actually having a fine eye for detail, and it hasn't killed anyone yet but it is not my quote, but the one I gleened from the link you provided grin Don't ko igbo si mi l'apo grin

Monitor_1:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration proposed rule NHTSA-2008-0022 in April, 2008 with several changes to the VIN Requirements to all motor vehicles manufactured on or after April 30, 2009. There are three notable proposed changes in the new VIN structure that affect VIN deciphering systems:

2.In order to identify exact year in passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 or less one must read position 7 as well as position 10. For passenger cars, and for multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 lb or less, if position 7 is numeric, the model year in position 10 of the VIN refers to a year in the range 1980-2009. If position 7 is alphabetic, the model year in position 10 of VIN refers to a year in the range 2010-2039.

This proposed change will simply make it easy to determing the model year without the chart referenced in the site, which I also posted.  Thus if the 10th digit of a VIN is an "A", the chart in question would indicate that it is either a 1980 model or a 2010 model. One would need to see the car physically to ascertain the model. But with the proposed rule, position 7 in a 2010 model will be alphabetic, thus a VIN with a numeric character in the 7th position must be a 1980 model.

I am truly lost here undecided You have gone totally off tangent undecided

Monitor_1:

Please note that in either case the 10th position of the VIN still contains the information needed to determing the model year.

Phew, glad we are back on track grin Right and like I said earlier I have never ever said the 10th digit was redundant, not once ever wink

Monitor_1:

I stand to be corrected if my interpretation is wrong, but I think its quite clear that cars have exactly ONE year model and given the chart and the VIN the year model can be determined quite easily. Its no rocket science.

So care to explain the phenomenon that is called "mid year model" then? cheesy

Monitor_1:

I appreciate courtesy shown in the discussion so far.

Monitor_1

What do you  mean by the above statement angry Abere abi angry Have I ever been anything other than courteuos with you all the time, except when I am giving like for like and responding to your sly digs at me angry Watch it oh before we enter the same trouser or is it skirt in our own case cheesy grin cheesy

Cheers

B_B
Iyalode Ashake, Igwe's lolo in chief and Ayaba GCFR and Don Emperoh cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 14, 2009
Busy_body:

So care to explain the phenomenon that is called "mid year model" then? cheesy

As far as the USA is concerned, there does not exist a "mid year model". Every car has exactly ONE year model. Cars that are manufactured mid year are not necessarily the models of the following year and cars manufactued in the beginning of the year are not necessarily that year's model. Quick example, as of February/March 2008, the 2009 models of the Toyota Corolla was released, while many 2008 models of the Honda Accord were manufactured as late as September or later. The manufacturing date of a car, while stated on the car, does not represent the year model.

The exact year model can be conclusively determined by the content of the 10th digit of the VIN. This fact is really not in dispute.
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Busybody2(f): 6:52am On Jun 14, 2009
Would be back later on in the day, make I go catch some beauty sleep cool
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by dnex(m): 7:38am On Jun 14, 2009
@Monitor_1

I believe you're absolutely correct. I'm just checking my cousin's VIN and the vehicle which he bought as a 98 Maxima, but has always claimed to the seller bedfore buying that it was 96 just turned out to have a 'T' as its 10 alpha-numeral. So it truly is a 96 Maxima. Wonderful.

Please I hope you can help me paste a full report on the vehicle cos I suspect the history.

VIN:JN1CA21D1TT164175

Thanks.

@The other fellow,
are you saying that American cars are not manufactured with a VIN, but are only quickly branded with a VIN once somebody comes to buy it? Because that's the only way I believe the VIN will contain the date of purchase.
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 14, 2009
dnex:

@Monitor_1

I believe you're absolutely correct. I'm just checking my cousin's VIN and the vehicle which he bought as a 98 Maxima, but has always claimed to the seller bedfore buying that it was 96 just turned out to have a 'T' as its 10 alpha-numeral. So it truly is a 96 Maxima. Wonderful.

Please I hope you can help me paste a full report on the vehicle cos I suspect the history.

VIN:JN1CA21D1TT164175

Thanks.

@The other fellow,
are you saying that American cars are not manufactured with a VIN, but are only quickly branded with a VIN once somebody comes to buy it? Because that's the only way I believe the VIN will contain the date of purchase.

Using the the table I posted above you can conclusively deduce that the car is a 1996 model. Additionally if you google the VIN and click on the carfax link returned from the search, you get the following information:

VIN JN1CA21D1TT164175
Year/Make/Model: 1996 NISSAN MAXIMA GLE/GXE/SE
Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR
Engine Type: 3.0L V6 FI DOHC 24V
Manufactured In: JAPAN
Search Results: 0 records found in our database

No additional information is available in carfax' database. At any rate carfax report may not be useful for a 1996 car except to confirm the actual year model of the car.

Monitor_1
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Igwe9(m): 9:17pm On Jun 14, 2009
Busy_body:

What do you  mean by the above statement angry Abere abi angry Have I ever been anything other than courteuos with you all the time, except when I am giving like for like and responding to your sly digs at me angry Watch it oh before we enter the same trouser or is it skirt in our own case cheesy grin cheesy

Cheers

B_B
Iyalode Ashake,[b] Igwe's lolo in chief [/b]and Ayaba GCFR and Don Emperoh cheesy grin cheesy

Hey lolo B_B
If you wish to retain your position  in my kingdom, Please and please, behave yourself outside ma palace, In as much as I appreciate your drama on here, I don't see the reason you 'd be distracting our industrious moderator. sad

People are watching you,you know? undecided

@Monitor 1
More Vaseline to your elbow.  smiley
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Busybody2(f): 11:24pm On Jun 14, 2009
dnex:

@The other fellow,

Well until you are able to dredge up a post whereby "the other fellow" specifically said American cars are not manufactured with a VIN, "this other fellow" would not respond cool
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by dnex(m): 11:36pm On Jun 14, 2009
Okay, thanks Monitor_1, au revoir Other Fellow.

I was only wondering if the cars were manufactured with a VIN, how come the DATE Of PURCHASE can be imputed within the VIN characters unless possibly, these car manufacturers had like a crystal ball with which they foretell when their cars would be sold and therefore imprint a character representing that date.

Well, perhaps I totally misunderstood your post. I'm a novice at this car thing, forgive me.
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Busybody2(f): 11:42pm On Jun 14, 2009
Igwe.:

[color=#006600]
Hey lolo B_B
If you wish to retain your position  in my kingdom, Please and please, behave yourself outside ma palace, In as much as I appreciate your drama on here, I don't see the reason you 'd be distracting our industrious moderator. sad

People are watching you,you know? undecided

What drama? Where is the distraction? Ain't women supposed to be the sensitive sex, gosh undecided

And yeah the people who really matter are watching to, so go and report me to them to ban me again for violating the rules of the forum by distracting your precious Monitor from her duty by forcing her into a debate about year model and VIN number cool
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Igwe9(m): 11:52pm On Jun 14, 2009
Busy_body:

What drama? Where is the distraction? Ain't women supposed to be the sensitive sex, gosh undecided

And yeah the people who really matter are watching to, so go and report me to them to ban me again for violating the rules of the forum by distracting your precious Monitor from her duty by forcing her into a debate about year model and VIN number cool
Ban you ke, far from it, I 'd suggest they return you back  to my palace for reorientation.  tongue smiley
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by sultaan(m): 12:06am On Jun 15, 2009
Drama grin

This is reality internet.

So what have we all learnt on this thread.

Watch the VIN, know what you are buying.
Ask questions if you don't know(from those who have no profit to gain)

Also our dear busy body will make sure those in the know knows.

Hope this is all clear.
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Busybody2(f): 2:48am On Jun 15, 2009
dnex:

Okay, thanks Monitor_1, au revoir Other Fellow.

I was only wondering if the cars were manufactured with a VIN, how come the DATE Of PURCHASE can be imputed within the VIN characters unless possibly, these car manufacturers had like a crystal ball with which they foretell when their cars would be sold and therefore imprint a character representing that date.

Well, perhaps I totally misunderstood your post. I'm a novice at this car thing, forgive me.

Your gaffes sins are forgiven son, now go and sin no more cheesy

And in addition to the assignment I gave you in my first post to you, also look for the post where "the other fellow" also said date of purchase is imputed within the VIN character undecided

And FYI, I did not directly use sold as a past tense of "sell", it was used in the context of lauched/released into the market for retail, undecided Pele, I understand your condition because I know firsthand that English language can sometimes be ambiguous cheesy
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Busybody2(f): 3:06am On Jun 15, 2009
Igwe.:

Ban you ke, far from it, I 'd suggest they return you back  to my palace for reorientation.  tongue smiley

Well since I am being accused of reversing to attack the Moderator, I expect the ban pretty soon. Na here I dey jejely minding my own business when I posted this: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-275672.0.html#msg4022860 when Monitor decided I needed lecturing and posted some epistles, and all I did was reply her, and all of a sudden I am attacking her undecided Help, I don't understand women undecided undecided

Busy_body:

Would be back later on in the day, make I go catch some beauty sleep cool

Still enjoying my snoozefest, would be back cool
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by Nobody: 5:15am On Jun 15, 2009
Dis BusyBody sef! For someone with a zillion e-husbands, she has way too much time on her hands  cheesy cheesy
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by northview: 4:51am On Apr 24, 2012
Hi,

I am having problem uploading car pictures to this website. Can you help me on how to upload my pictures.

Thank.
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by CarGuideNG: 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2018
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by computerglobal(m): 3:30am On Oct 05, 2018
Make An Informed Decision With Our Comprehensive Vehicle Report

Contact us on Whats-app now . Just a click away.

https:///send?phone=2348060365068

Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by CarGuideNG: 3:38am On Oct 05, 2018
Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by computerglobal(m): 3:55am On Oct 05, 2018
computerglobal:
Make An Informed Decision With Our Comprehensive Vehicle Report

Contact us on Whats-app now . Just a click away.

https:///send?phone=2348060365068

Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by CarGuideNG: 4:02am On Oct 05, 2018
Looking for a more personalized and customized approach to vehicle history?

Get in touch with CarGuideNG right away!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7901890_img20181003wa0012_jpegef31f37c5963e39facb23931803fe0ef

https:///send?phone=2347011116171

1 Like

Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by computerglobal(m): 4:05am On Oct 05, 2018
Contact us today grin

Re: Year Model And Chassis Numbers (vin) by cephark: 8:38am On Jan 21, 2019
Please what is the model year of this Car with VIN SB164AEB1"0"E566156? The car is European Car. the 10th digit is "0" (Zero) and is different from America digit

(1) (Reply)

Thanks For A Smooth Deal - 2002 Qx4 Infiniti, Preordered / Buy Or Clear You Portable Car's.direct From Cotonou At A Brilliant Price, / »»» Sold!!! Few Months Used Ford Flex 09 @ N3.2M Negotiable «««

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.