Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. (15179 Views)

Shiites Give A Drawing Of Jesus To Christians In Bauchi To Promote Peace / Are You Ready? A Short Message To Christians By Lyoncrescent / Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by iliyande(m): 7:13am On Jan 03, 2016
Reasons for the significance of the first day of the week (Sunday) in the New Testament for Christians:

While the Sabbath was significant to the Jews, there is no New Testament significance of the Sabbath in connection with anything of Christ, Christianity, the church or heaven!

A. Before Pentecost Christians met on Sunday:

1. The day Jesus was raised: Jn 20:19

2. The very next Sunday: Jn 20:26

3. On the day of Pentecost: Acts 2:1

B. After Pentecost Christians met on Sunday:

1. To partake of the Lord's supper or communion: Acts 20:7

2. To give money every Sunday: 1 Cor 16:1,2

C. Biblical significance of Sunday as the Lord's day:

1. Jesus raised from the dead on Sunday: Mk 16:9; Lk 24:1,13,21

2. Jesus was declared the Son of God on Sunday: Rom 1:4

3. Ps 2:7 "Today I have begotten thee" was fulfilled on Sunday when he rose: Acts 13:33

4. Jesus appeared 6 different times on at least 2 different Sundays:

RESURRECTION SUNDAY

Mk 16:9 Mary
Mt 28:5-9 Other women
Lk 24:34 Peter (by way of inference)
Lk 24:13-15 Two on Emmaus road
Lk 24:33,36 + Jn 20:19 The apostles
b. One Sunday later: Jn 20:26 The apostles

Jesus rose on the first day of the week not the Sabbath: Mk 16:9

All 6 appearances of Jesus happen on two Sundays, none on Sabbath. Mk 16:9; Mt 28:5-9; Lk 24:34; Lk 24:13-15; Lk 24:33,36 + Jn 20:19; Jn 20:26

Christians are recorded assembling three times on Sunday after resurrection and before ascension, never on the Sabbath. Jn 20:19 Jn 20:26 Acts 2:1 (We do not claim that these were worship services, just the early starting point of Sunday gatherings)

The only time Christians are recorded to have assembled together was on a Sunday in Acts 20:7, never does it say the disciples assembled on the Sabbath.

The only day ever mentioned when Christians broke bread was on Sunday: Acts 20:7

Christians are commanded every Sunday to give into a common treasury of the church: 1 Cor 16:1-2

Jesus was declared the Son of God on Sunday: Rom 1:4

Ps 2:7 "Today I have begotten thee" was fulfilled on Sunday when he rose: Acts 13:33

The sign that Jesus was glorified was given on Sunday: Jn 7:39 + Acts 2:1,32

The church officially began on Pentecost Sunday: Acts 2:1

Jesus was crowned king on a Sunday: Acts 2:33-36

The disciples reception of the promise of the Father on Sunday: Acts 1:4-5; 2:1-4

The Holy Spirit first fell upon the apostles on a Sunday: Acts 2:1-4

Salvation first preached by Peter on Sunday: Mt 16:19; Acts 2:1,38,40-41

The Keys to the Kingdom of God were first used on Sunday: Mt 16:19

The great "Triumphal entry" (also called "Palm Sunday"wink happened on the first day: Luke 13:32

The time between the Lord's resurrection (sheaf waving day) and Pentecost was Sunday to Sunday counting of 50 days. The starting and stopping time was on the 1st day.

First time Jesus worshiped after resurrection was on the first day by Thomas (Jn. 20:26).

The first time we could be born again to a living hope was on a Sunday: 1 Pet. 1:3

The first time Jesus had communion after his resurrection with His disciples, was on a Sunday: (Lk. 24:1, 13, 28-35)

Pentecost was a Sunday - Sunday duration of 50 days. The starting point and stopping point of counting the 50 days was a Sunday - Sunday period

http://www.bible.ca/7-sunday-significance-for-christians.htm

CC:lalasticlala

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by timilehing(m): 7:24am On Jan 03, 2016
So many Christians nowadays takes their Bible reading less serious but prefer listening to modified sweet-talks from Pastors.

Days in The Bible were referred to as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th day of the week. Sunday was never mentioned.

According to God's instructions to the Israelites, they were to work from 1st day of the week to the 6th day & rest on the 7th. The Sabbath was always performed on the resting day which is the last day of the week according to The Bible.

If you're taking Sunday as the first day, it's either you're disobeying God's direct other or I don't know what else that is.

Sunday is the last day of the week. Monday through Saturday we work.

If you can give any logical explanation based on both Old and New Testament contents that suggests Sunday as the first day, I may be interested in further questions.

The issue of Sunday being the first day of the week started with people who believed they should start the week in God's presence rather than ending it with Him.

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by mrphysics(m): 7:33am On Jan 03, 2016
All correct
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Haywhymido(m): 8:32am On Jan 03, 2016
Fool fooling fools

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by malvisguy212: 8:45am On Jan 03, 2016
Haywhymido:
Fool fooling fools
bad atheists!! Why do atheists love calling people fools ? And you atheists always claims to be wise ?

Romans 1:22
“Professing to be wise they became
fools”

Satan is fooling you guys, making you believe lies just as he did to Eve, I've said this before ;Another reason for rejecting God (choosing atheism), is a willing acceptance of satanic deception.
The angel Lucifer fell and became Satan (“adversary”) due to his desire to supplant God. This was Lucifer’s single-minded obsession. He not only rejected God by attempting to supplant Him, but he urged humans to do likewise. Satan urged Eve to choose against God for her own self-fulfilment:

Genesis 3:1-5
He said to the woman, “Did God actually
say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the
garden’?” And the woman said to the
serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the
trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You
shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that
is in the midst of the garden, neither
shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the
serpent said to the woman, “You will not
surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

The tactic is clear: firstly, question God’s
statements, then, contradict God’s
statements and, finally, urge rebellion in seeking equality with God.

This manifests in atheists as

1. Questioning whether there is a God to
make statements in the first place, so
God did not say anything.
2. Contradicting the statements said to
have been spoken by God.
3. Seeking equality with God by replacing God with the self.

This satanic deception appeals strongly
to atheists as it bolsters two of their
desired delusions:1) absolute autonomy
; being free to do as they please, and 2)
the lack of ultimate accountability;
there are no eternal consequences for
doing as they please.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Haywhymido(m): 8:50am On Jan 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
bad atheists!! Why do atheists love calling people fools ? And you atheists always claims to be wise ?

Romans 1:22
“Professing to be wise they became
fools”

Satan is fooling you guys, making you believe lies just as he did to Eve, I've said this before ;Another reason for rejecting God (choosing atheism), is a willing acceptance of satanic deception.
The angel Lucifer fell and became Satan (“adversary”) due to his desire to supplant God. This was Lucifer’s single-minded obsession. He not only rejected God by attempting to supplant Him, but he urged humans to do likewise. Satan urged Eve to choose against God for her own self-fulfilment:

Genesis 3:1-5
He said to the woman, “Did God actually
say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the
garden’?” And the woman said to the
serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the
trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You
shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that
is in the midst of the garden, neither
shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the
serpent said to the woman, “You will not
surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

The tactic is clear: firstly, question God’s
statements, then, contradict God’s
statements and, finally, urge rebellion in seeking equality with God.

This manifests in atheists as

1. Questioning whether there is a God to
make statements in the first place, so
God did not say anything.
2. Contradicting the statements said to
have been spoken by God.
3. Seeking equality with God by replacing God with the self.

This satanic deception appeals strongly
to atheists as it bolsters two of their
desired delusions:1) absolute autonomy
; being free to do as they please, and 2)
the lack of ultimate accountability;
there are no eternal consequences for
doing as they please.
shut up fool, am nt one of dose u can fool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by malvisguy212: 8:55am On Jan 03, 2016
Haywhymido:
calm down, it is well.

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by vooks: 9:11am On Jan 03, 2016
[size=1pt]
timilehing:
So many Christians nowadays takes their Bible reading less serious but prefer listening to modified sweet-talks from Pastors.

Days in The Bible were referred to as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th day of the week. Sunday was never mentioned.

According to God's instructions to the Israelites, they were to work from 1st day of the week to the 6th day & rest on the 7th. The Sabbath was always performed on the resting day which is the last day of the week according to The Bible.

If you're taking Sunday as the first day, it's either you're disobeying God's direct other or I don't know what else that is.

If you can give any logical explanation based on both Old and New Testament contents that suggests Sunday as the first day, I may be interested in further questions.

The issue of Sunday being the first day of the week started with people who believed they should start the week in God's presence rather than ending it with Him.

[/size]
Simple question
What day of the week was Sunday?
A. First
B. Second
C. Third
D. Fourth
E. Fifth
F. Sixth
G. Seventh/Sabbath

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by winner01(m): 10:25am On Jan 03, 2016
okay
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by jobhuntng: 10:32am On Jan 03, 2016
lol..nawa o
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by TechRev: 10:33am On Jan 03, 2016
timilehing:

You believe sunday is the last day of the week, those that follow Judaism believe saturday is the last day of the week. Please which is correct and why the confusion??

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by winner01(m): 10:35am On Jan 03, 2016
Haywhymido:
You sound seriously embittered.
Surrender your hate and let the love of God overwhelm you.
God bless you

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by BigBen10: 10:36am On Jan 03, 2016
agreed
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Timoleon(m): 10:37am On Jan 03, 2016
one good reason the "ministry" will keep moving....anyone with logical reasoning can create different ideas and ideoligies from the bible as long as it serves their purpose and back it up with 'it is written...

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Greenbullet(m): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2016
In being “honest,”
attending the church organization as we
know it today may not have anything to do
with loving God, especially since we know
many who attend who do not love God as
well as many who do not attend who do
love God. We need to rethink a Biblical
notion of “church” if we’re to get to the real
issue going on here.most Christian will just be captured by the deceit of a money hungry pastor

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nienie(f): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2016
What's the point of all these arguments??doesn't matter if you praise him on a Saturday or Sunday jareh.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by ojnnaco(m): 10:43am On Jan 03, 2016
timilehing:

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by marshalcarter: 10:43am On Jan 03, 2016
All these atheist sef eehn..I 1da who created dem undecided it is well sha....if an hausa islam can open his mouth and say there is GOD..talk more of an ibo Christian...GOD LIVETH FOREVER
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by kaziblake(f): 10:47am On Jan 03, 2016
Is Sunday really recorded in the bible?
I met a sabbath guy recently,he started preaching to me,telling me going to church on Sunday is not right,that it's really Saturday that was recorded in the bible.

I'm really tired of hearing different theory of Christians,jehovah witness will come and say a different thing,deeper life will come and say another thing.
Which one is really right?
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by winner01(m): 10:47am On Jan 03, 2016
marshalcarter:
All these atheist sef eehn..I 1da who created dem undecided it is well sha....if an hausa islam can open his mouth and say there is GOD..talk more of an ibo Christian...GOD LIVETH FOREVER
They came from nothing which caused a chaotic explosion and then body parts came together randomly from different parts of the explosion to give birth to all life forms on earth. grin

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by timilehing(m): 10:48am On Jan 03, 2016
TechRev:

You believe sunday is the last day of the week, those that follow Judaism believe saturday is the last day of the week. Please which is correct and why the confusion??
I'm sure you know Judaism is different from Christianity??
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Geulink: 10:49am On Jan 03, 2016
I believe the writer of this story is like the Serpent in Eden. You will deceive multitude but the elect of the Lord can't be deceive. From encyclopedia britainca, history have it that the Sabbath was only changed by emperor Constantine of the Roman empire in 340AD. The same Roman empire who crucify christ in the days of Caesar, that is the same people who changed the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. In the dark ages, our fore fathers were not given access to the holy book(the bible) by the same group of people. May God have mercy on your write up.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 03, 2016
Is the day for the worship of the Sun god (idolatry)

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 03, 2016
kaziblake:
Is Sunday really recorded in the bible?
I met a sabbath guy recently,he started preaching to me,telling me going to church on Sunday is not right,that it's really Saturday that was recorded in the bible.

I'm really tired of hearing different theory of Christians,jehovah witness will come and say a different thing,deeper life will come and say another thing.
Which one is really right?
Which day is the last day of the week: Saturday or Sunday?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by kaziblake(f): 10:52am On Jan 03, 2016
AheadMarket:

Which day is the last day of the week: Saturday or Sunday?
Saturday

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by mcmukoko12(m): 10:52am On Jan 03, 2016
HOT PRAYER POINTS: BREAKING THE VEIL COVERING MY SUITOR
http://hotprayerzones..com/2015/12/breaking-veil-covering-my-suitor.html
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by ifenes(m): 10:54am On Jan 03, 2016
Rubbish!
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by AdamsToyin: 10:55am On Jan 03, 2016
Bible scholars thou! Every one reading deeply and giving us their own inferences. Whatever Sabath day means? Whatever first day of the week means? All I know is Sunday is not mentioned in the biible.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by edwardgunju(m): 10:59am On Jan 03, 2016
Seen smiley
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Geulink: 11:03am On Jan 03, 2016
I pray that no one deceive you like the Serpent did since in the garden of Eden. After which the Lord got angry with man and since then few have always been saved. 1. Few were saved in the days of Noah. 2. Few followed God and believe the prophet in the days of Moses and the other prophet.
3. In the babylonian empire, it was only the three Hebrew boys that never bow to the sunday image you are bowing down today.
4. Jesus Christ kept the law and the Sabbath in his days on earth
5. Paul and the other Apostles brought the gospel from the Jews to the Gentiles.
6. Paul kept the Sabbath and in the book of Romans 8 stress that those who claims ignorant of the law will perished and those that keep the law will be judged according to the law.
7. I can see the Serpent of Eden in this write-up but I speak to any one reading this today that you should not be the next eve. Tap into the grace of God and embrace his Sabbath on the seventh day of the week.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is The Obama 666 Bill For Real??? / Happy Birthday Rev. Anita Oyakhilome! / Is It True That The Word "LOVE" Is Not In The Quran?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.