Stats: 3,149,852 members, 7,806,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri (42411 Views)

The Wonderful Characters Of The Man, Jesus By Rose Akpabio / Reno Omokri Visits Laodicean Church In Turkey, The One Jesus Wanted To Spit Out / Reno Omokri: Apostle Suleman's New Accuser & Kaduna Government (2) (3) (4)

Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by lalasticlala(m): 9:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
By Reno Omokri

In the last week of the year 2015, I woke up to read the story about the record breaking statue of ‘Jesus’ the Christ commissioned by one Obinna Onuoha at St. Aloysius Catholic Church in the village of Abajah in Imo state.

There was a lot of celebration about this record (The largest ‘Jesus’ statue in Africa) and the international press even called the statue a symbol of peace.

However, one thing disturbs me about this record breaking statue of Jesus erected in Nigeria. First of all, no one knows what Jesus looked like, yet we erect statues of ‘Jesus’.

What if the statue is a statue of satan, how do we know? If this sounds far fetched to you, then consider what The Holy Bible says in 2 Corinthians 11:14 “And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.”

In John 4:24 Jesus said “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”

You cannot worship God through a statue! The ancient Israelites did not do it. Jesus Himself did not do it. The early Christians did not do it. So where did we get this idea from?

Jesus lived at a time when statues were rampant. Caeser’s statues littered Palestine and Judea and even Jerusalem. Jesus could have easily permitted His likeness to be captured in a statue, or to be drawn, but He did not allow it.

The question to be asked is why?
The answer to that question may be found in Exodus 20:4 which says “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below”?

The fact is that it is actually the pagan religions of Ancient Rome that practiced the act of making idols of their gods and goddesses.

This practice was smuggled into Christendom (which is very different from Christianity) when Constantine the Great was converted to Christianity due to the influence of his mother, Helena.

The ruling elite of Ancient Rome saw that if they did not contain Christianity, it would erode their power, so they came up with Christendom through the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

Notice the words, Holy Roman Catholic Church. What in those names is derived from The Bible?
Absolutely nothing.

Roman means the church is of Ancient Rome. Catholic means it is all embracing (meaning that it fused all the pagan religions into a Catholic faith). Church simply means a place where a deity is worshippers.

The word Catholic simply means a wide variety.
The issue then was that images of gods and goddesses fetched the Ancient Romans a lot of money in custom and taxes which was why there was a riot in the ancient city of Ephesus when Paul tried to abolish the making of statues to the goddess Diana (also known as Artemis).

In fact, the following conversation sparked the riot:
“A silversmith named Demetrius, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought in a lot of business for the craftsmen there. He called them together, along with the workers in related trades, and said: “You know, my friends, that we receive a good income from this business. And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that gods made by human hands are no gods at all. There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited; and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty.” When they heard this, they were furious and began shouting: “Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!”-Acts 19:24-28.

From the above, you can see why the creators of the Catholic Church felt they had to accommodate people like Demetrius.

The truth is that we do not know what Jesus looked like because He did not want us to know what He looked like. Jesus wanted us to worship the Spiritual God who is The Father and not a physical form.

And consider this. Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi. He did not have blonde flowing hair or piercing blue eyes. He was a very strong man because He single handedly chased away the merchants from the temple in Jerusalem.

This effeminate, feeble looking, long blonde haired Adonis figure that is passed off as Jesus is not Him.

Jesus did not want us to focus on his fleshly form. In fact He said “The Spirit gives life; THE FLESH counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you–they are full of the Spirit and life.”-John 6:63.
Reno Omokri is the founder of the Mind of Christ Christian Center in California, author of Shunpiking: No Shortcuts to God and Why Jesus Wept and the host of Transformation with Reno Omokri (Sunday at 2.30PM on San Francisco’s KTLN, Chanel 25 on Comcast).

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/is-that-really-jesus/

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by miqos02(m): 9:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
hmmm
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by elantraceey(f): 9:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
I totally agree with him, it's better we carry Jesus in our hearts which is his dwelling place than wasting resources building a statue for him when the Bible even condemns it.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Demmocrats(m): 9:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
Has anyone seen the true picture of Jesus so the question the OP asked is irrelevant, its just a image that represent the Almighty nothing more and remember God is every where you don't a statue or graven image any longer.

I know we Africans with low mentality would start worshiping the image thinking they are serving the Almighty.

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"

Exodus 20:4

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by blazetitov: 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
Kk
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by 2000logos: 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
Church simply means a place where a deity is worshipers.[/quote] Jesus is my deity , who is yours?

No church can save you when you get to heaven, whether you are a Pentecostal or Catholic...Whether you know Bible from beginning till end...you will be judged by your works...If someone has erected a statue of his savior, it is how much that person is worth to him..

Don't be surprised if Muslims even reach heaven before you! #Make your path straight for heaven, check your life you will know you have a lot to correct rather than writing inconclusive articles about Christianity.....Are there no Paint Artists during is time??

What ever you think you believe may be totally false too my friend.You don't know God's mind.

[size=16pt]
Get your company a custom well designed logo ?-Whatsapp08062691462-for my works
[/size]

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by initialize(m): 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
Idol worshipping!!!

Racist church painting Jesus White.

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by buzquet(m): 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
which site dem see Jesus pix?

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Missmossy(f): 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
Complete rubbish!

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by bebe2(f): 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
Choi, see money miss road ooo,

Was it nto the same jesus that said how can u claim to love me that u haven't seen when u dont love ur neighbour that u have seen?

Thousand of hungry, sick and frustrated pple are in that community oo, but guess wat is this man's priority, a carved statue that no one is really sure of.

That cud be d image of lucifer, no one knows. undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Sasuwa(f): 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
NICE
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by falconey(m): 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
how can we tell?
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by ta4ba3(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
As for me I can't worship that statue I only worship God through his son JESUS... so they leavetrashforlawma

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by kunzaar83(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
tor na wettin dem show us be dat na
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by kings09(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
Op why has d statue erected in Brazil not bn criticised. am not in support of d statue erection but can we stop making a big issue out of dis. y havnt any1 said anythn abt d statue dats standing in Rio, Brazil. 9ja ppl be like crabs - always trying to pull down one anoda
lalasticlala:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/is-that-really-jesus/

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
Mr Obinna, a private individual built a church with his own money and decide to embellish the church building with a great statue according to his personal faith and belief in the Catholic Church and he has received nothing but mostly insults from fellow Nigerians who think they have a better perception of what Jesus looked like.

I know for a fact that in other territories, uncountable statues of Jesus have been built by persons and governments amidst fanfare, even if only for the revenue potential from tourist attraction. You can see a list of even larger statues here:

http://www.kuriositas.com/2013/02/the-tallest-statues-of-jesus-christ-in.html?m=1

Let us stop this our holier than thou attitudes and appreciate a good effort. In my opinion, the bible is permissible of statues where such statues are not graven to be worshipped but to venerate and honour only. This opinion is taken from my interpretation of the passage below.

Leviticus 26:1King James Version (KJV)
Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God...

Let us be a bit more kind with our words. If Mr Obinna was indeed wrong in building the church and the statue according to his Catholic faith, it is clearly not for us to judge.

18 Likes

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by RichDad1(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
Idolatry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Cent91: 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
Tallest

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by dipopooo(m): 9:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
if that is not the real Jesus, ogbeni show us the real jesus then

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by emmaliveth10(m): 9:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
IDOLATRY IN HIGH PLACES!!!

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Kirinwa: 9:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
tongue The poster below me should change network.

Etisalat: Nigeria's innovative and caring network.
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by Lilchilz(m): 9:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
one thinq i know is that No condition is permanent even a generator that sounds like Bruno Mars will one day sound like Terry G. That's just the way it is. Ashiri

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by superior1: 9:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
no
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by ajoguegbe(m): 9:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
Many Roman Catholic practices have no biblical roots, unfortunately Muhammed copied most of this false Christianity while forming Islam. You can notice Catholicism has a lot of resemblance to Islam, or rather vice versa. From the chaplet to the scapula to the name Fatima etc. Last Friday, I was passing through Yaba and saw catholics on procession blocking major roads and I remembered Shite Muslims. May God open their eyes though the worst being that they refuse to acknowledge their blindness.

Proverbs 26:12
Do you see a person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them.

John 15:22
If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin.

Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by pantless(m): 9:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
Just creating a physical imAge of a Reality, babies learn faster by pictures so most christians babies irespective of age . Modified: let no man worship an idol
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by tiamiyukunle69(m): 9:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
Abi o...who took His picture when he was alive
Re: Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri by kay29000(m): 9:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
That's white Jesus.

We Have Been Lied To The Earth Is Flat And Not A Globe / Secrete Behind All White Garment Churches / Onitsha Catholic Diocese schools and hospitals they owns(photo)