Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,007 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) (7087 Views)

My Car Doesn't Start On Time When Engine Is Hot / Gear Engages Well; But Car Doesn't Move / Help My Car Doesn't Steem Fine In The Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 12:45am On Jan 05, 2016
Helo car talk please I need help. 

My car is a 2003 Toyota Solara automatic 2.4L I4.

Had the car for almost two years and no major issues.

However today as I was travelling returning from Xmas break after having covered about 350 miles the car started acting up.

It started while I was driving I noticed the car just revved suddenly and the RPM shot up to 5000.it was only for an instant It soon returned to normal. 

Later on I noticed the car wasn't accelerating in proportion to how I depress the gas pedal. It seemed too slow for the level I depressed the pedal. I soon stopped to have lunch , stated the car and it moved normal.

However later at an army checkpoint after I stopped, the car would no longer move no matter how I depress the pedal. put the gear on R, D, 2, L the car doesn't move.  The engine just revs. 

Put the gear in P, Switched off the engine  after about 10 seconds restrated the engine and engaged D car jerks forward abit and starts moving... if I reduce speed due to pot holes or other cars it re accelerates sluggishly till it finally accelerates no more no matter how I depress the pedal . 

If I engage all gears at this point it doesn't move even reverse . Till I switch off the  car wait about 10 seconds before I restart then the car moves only to repeat tell whole cycle again.

Sometimes when it manages to move the RPM will be so high for the current speed as shown in the pics below.

1. I checked the ATF and it's full. No blackish colour no burnt smell.

2. I have never worked on the gear before . Neither did I have any engine work doNE recently.

3. No CEL illuminated on the dash.

4. I bought fuel some minutes before this started ...could this be bad fuel?

I was able to manage the car stop and start till I got to jalingp and parked it at a friends house and took a bus home (which also broke down to sad. I'm posting this from some bush in the north east of Nigeria )

Please would like help as to what are the possible causes of this issue and how to solve them as I don't trust all these mechs. Especialy since its far from home. Thank you.

@Gazzuzz @Siena  please help a brother.

Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by menix(m): 1:12am On Jan 05, 2016
Had something similar, thou the car wasn't moving in proportion to how I hit the pedal..

Got to anambra nd changed the fuel pump nd I was good to go..

A Rav 4(2008)

1 Like

Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by Double194(m): 1:15am On Jan 05, 2016
Fuel pump has gone bad. Get ur mechanic or ask around for an experienced mechanic that can change it. Steer clear of the ones costing btwn 2500 and 4000. Good and standard fuel pumps cost much more.
N.B., I like ur mastery of ur car spec. and functionality. Very few people can.

4 Likes

Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by Lexusgs430: 2:40am On Jan 05, 2016
You clearly stated no engine management light is on, but still scan incase it's been disabled.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 5:13am On Jan 05, 2016
hi guys thanks for your responses . I'm still stuck in this boko haram infested bush waiting for first light so we can move . couldn't dare sleep all night.

want to ask if it's a fuel pump issue will the engine still start up and Rev normally?. could it be bad fuel? engine kicks at first touch and revs normal no stuttering.

how do I rule put a gear issue

my oga lexusgs430 I hail you baba.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:17am On Jan 05, 2016
slipping transmission. Did you check under the car for fluid leaks?

1 Like

Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:18am On Jan 05, 2016
TCD:
hi guys thanks for your responses . I'm still stuck in this boko haram infested bush waiting for first light so we can move . couldn't dare sleep all night.

want to ask if it's a fuel pump issue will the engine still start up and Rev normally?. could it be bad fuel? engine kicks at first touch and revs normal no stuttering.

how do I rule put a gear issue

my oga lexusgs430 I hail you baba.

rule out engine fault
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by honmusa(m): 5:50am On Jan 05, 2016
TCD:

However today as I was travelling returning from Xmas break after having covered about 350 miles the car started acting up.

It started while I was driving I noticed the car just revved suddenly and the RPM shot up to 5000.it was only for an instant It soon returned to normal. 

Later on I noticed the car wasn't accelerating in proportion to how I depress the gas pedal. It seemed too slow for the level I depressed the pedal. I soon stopped to have lunch , stated the car and it moved normal.

However later at an army checkpoint after I stopped, the car would no longer move no matter how I depress the pedal. put the gear on R, D, 2, L the car doesn't move.  The engine just revs. 

Put the gear in P, Switched off the engine  after about 10 seconds restrated the engine and engaged D car jerks forward abit and starts moving... if I reduce speed due to pot holes or other cars it re accelerates sluggishly till it finally accelerates no more no matter how I depress the pedal . 

If I engage all gears at this point it doesn't move even reverse . Till I switch off the  car wait about 10 seconds before I restart then the car moves only to repeat tell whole cycle again.

Sometimes when it manages to move the RPM will be so high for the current speed as shown in the pics below.

2. I have never worked on the gear before . Neither did I have any engine work doNE recently.

I was able to manage the car stop and start till I got to jalingp and parked it at a friends house and took a bus home (which also broke down to sad. I'm posting this from some bush in the north east of Nigeria )

Please would like help as to what are the possible causes of this issue and how to solve them as I don't trust all these mechs. Especialy since its far from home. Thank you.

u just experienced a shift flare which later degenerated to a major transmission issue.
Since you have checked the status of your atf and you have it confirmed that it is still intact and no MIL yet on the instrument cluster , u might need to get a competent auto diagnostician to data stream the transmission system as a unit .Atimes the car obd system might not be sophisticated enough to pick some out-of-range signal but the issue can still be fished out by live data streaming ,there is no way the transmission can have such a major issue like that that it can evade the eye of a skilled technician with a good equipment .Just focus on the transmission ,rule out the engine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by kayswag100(m): 6:34am On Jan 05, 2016
man, ur RPM is high!

Had a similar issue when I traveled to Delta. (Nissan Altima 2006)

Car revved and wasn't moving according to proportion of Depression of throttle. Also had serious misfire (gunshot sound from exhaust)

On my way back (in benin), I turned the car off for about 5 mins and issue got miraculously resolved. drove back to the SW without issues only for it to start the next day again.

Took it to the mech and had the fuel pump changed. Been driving for the past 2 weeks without further ishh.

I hope you find a solution soon
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by mayor2013: 7:26am On Jan 05, 2016
Sounds more like Transmission problem from your story. embarassed nevertheless have your car scanned. Does your car misfire?
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by kingreign(m): 9:13am On Jan 05, 2016
TCD:

O boyeh see as ya RPM dey scream! shocked
Slippin tranny bro
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 9:17am On Jan 05, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

rule out engine fault
please guys how do I rule out engine fault ?
and no the car doesn't misfire.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by mayor2013: 10:03am On Jan 05, 2016
TCD:

please guys how do I rule out engine fault ?

and no the car doesn't misfire.

Put into consideration your number1 point. Its important. Have you had your atf fluid changed before. Have this car scanned
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by king406(m): 12:34pm On Jan 05, 2016
Had a similar issue last week. I serviced my injector nozzles and replaced my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and the problem was solved.

1 Like

Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by deelabs(m): 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2016
TCD:

Have you checked the fuel pump?

Check out this site http://www.carpartsnigeria.com/users/sign_in

They will be of help assistance.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by oyefelix(m): 3:39pm On Jan 05, 2016
kindly focus on ur transmission, cos if only ur vehicle is not rev dt is wen u should think of fuel&air system of ur engine.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 6:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
thanks guys for all your suggestions. will be going with my mechanic to tow the vehicle down to base with his car tomorrow. hopefully when it's here we can start getting to the bottom of this.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 05, 2016
I am suspecting an electrical circuit-related problem relating to the shift solenoids. But this is surely a gearbox issue not engine.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 11:44am On Jan 06, 2016
update. .

went with my mech to pick the car. he scanned engine and transmission no codes.

he removed the solenoid switch and tried to move , same issues still persisted.

he now hit something under the transmission car moves. we are in motion now.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:22pm On Jan 06, 2016
TCD:
update. .

went with my mech to pick the car. he scanned engine and transmission no codes.

he removed the solenoid switch and tried to move , same issues still persisted.

he now hit something under the transmission car moves. we are in motion now.

A clogged strainer.

The impact made the dirty particles fall and allow transmission fluid to be pumped, but they will be back sad. Hopefully you might be able to escape with a strainer replacement and fluid drain and refill.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by mayor2013: 1:37pm On Jan 06, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

A clogged strainer.

The impact made the dirty particles fall and allow transmission fluid to be pumped, but they will be back sad. Hopefully you might be able to escape with a strainer replacement and fluid drain and refill.

The "op" claimed his fluid was looking shinning as ever. Let him continue driving. This is what I call "Acradabada" grin
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 2:21pm On Jan 06, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

A clogged strainer.

that's what he said too. we will bring down the gear box and assess one we get back to base.hope is just particles.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by mayor2013: 3:28pm On Jan 06, 2016
TCD:
that's what he said too. we will bring down the gear box and assess one we get back to base.hope is just particles.

Forget about the present atf you have inside.get a new fluid
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:08pm On Jan 06, 2016
TCD:

I see no point in bringing down the entire gear box (6hr job)

Unsrew the bottom oil pan (15mins) replace strainer wash pan seal up (another 30mins) then refil and drive test.

If it works you smile, if it does not then you can think of bringing it down.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 7:34pm On Jan 06, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I see no point in bringing down the entire gear box (6hr job)

Unsrew the bottom oil pan (15mins) replace strainer wash pan seal up (another 30mins) then refil and drive test.

If it works you smile, if it does not then you can think of bringing it down.

thanks for this. a little clarification please ... what you are calling strainer..is it the same thing as transmission filter? if yes is it possible to get a new one and how much?

because my mech keeps saying something about washing what is blocked. and new one isn't available where we are. I usually prefer to replace with brand new.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:03pm On Jan 06, 2016
TCD:

thanks for this. a little clarification please ... what you are calling strainer..is it the same thing as transmission filter? if yes is it possible to get a new one and how much?

because my mech keeps saying something about washing what is blocked. and new one isn't available where we are. I usually prefer to replace with brand new.

Looks like this, and you can wash in the absence of a replacement if you can't get one to buy.
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy38RX2LHy_dGf_x720Jt7wihu6Ha108_LstIBvshZ_zjv6j8gng[/img]
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 7:36pm On Jan 08, 2016
thanks guys for your suggestions . The strainer was clogged with some kind of metal powders. was washed thoroughly and refilled wit Type 4 transmission fluid. car now moves fine. I just hope this will be the end of the matter.

lesson learnt, to start servicing transmission every year if not 6 months sef.

1 Like

Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by mayor2013: 8:27pm On Jan 08, 2016
TCD:
thanks guys for your suggestions . The strainer was clogged with some kind of metal powders. was washed thoroughly and refilled wit Type 4 transmission fluid. car now moves fine. I just hope this will be the end of the matter.

lesson learnt, to start servicing transmission every year if not 6 months sef.

. Go and sin no more and preach the gospel to other car users wink
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 7:10pm On Jan 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Looks like this, and you can wash in the absence of a replacement if you can't get one to buy.
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy38RX2LHy_dGf_x720Jt7wihu6Ha108_LstIBvshZ_zjv6j8gng[/img]
guys please ever since I changed the fluid everything is normal except one thing.

when accelerating from stop position especially when I start the car from cold the car jerks a tiny little bit when changing from first to second gear. I can feel thay first gear change. this happens ocassionally and not all the time. I had this same tiny jerks when I was stranded with the car.

what could be the cause of this and is there any solution to it? thank you
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by mayor2013: 10:19pm On Jan 19, 2016
TCD:
guys please ever since I changed the fluid everything is normal except one thing.

when accelerating from stop position especially when I start the car from cold the car jerks a tiny little bit when changing from first to second gear. I can feel thay first gear change. this happens ocassionally and not all the time. I had this same tiny jerks when I was stranded with the car.

what could be the cause of this and is there any solution to it? thank you

Where your shift solenoids serviced?
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by TCD: 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2016
mayor2013:

Where your shift solenoids serviced?
if you mean by cleaning that electrical plug and socket that was done.
Re: Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) by mayor2013: 7:52pm On Jan 20, 2016
TCD:
if you mean by cleaning that electrical plug and socket that was done.

Inside your gear box?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Double Custom Duties In Cotonou And Seme Border ? Please I need your advise / Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) / Volkswagen Increases Sales Revenue And Profit In Nine Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.