Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,967 members, 7,806,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. (21786 Views)

Four (3) Bedroom Flats By West Wood Estate Badore Ajah / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria / I Need Designs For A Storey Building Of Four 3 Bedroom Flats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Ejiekwu1(m): 11:12am On Aug 08, 2016
just 50,000 for structural drawing.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by adebayosun02: 11:58am On Aug 08, 2016
rabcnesbit:
Hello all. I am embarking on a project to build a block of four 3-bedroom flats on my plot of land that has been lying fallow for a while now. The land is located at Sango-Ota in Ogun state. I reside abroad so this a project I will have to manage remotely through a good friend who resides in Lagos. I am starting this thread to document my progress, but most importantly to seek people's advice, suggestions and opinions, especially to do with quotations, prices, processes, materials etc. Depending on how much this might eventually cost me, I might just stop at the decking level and take a breather before continuing. So to start with, I have done the following:

land survey, cost N35,000
Architectural plan, cost N75,000

Got the following to do:
Structural engineering drawings
Stamp duty on land receipt
Tax clearance certificate
Developmental levy /receipt
Assessment fees
Processing fee (basically greasing officials' palms each step of the way)

As I get the costings for each of the above, I will update. If the costings seem unreasonable/excessive, please advise. Obviously, this is going to be a slow and long process, so I will not be updating everyday, only when there is something new I need to add. Thank you

I can assure you professionally that you av started on a wrong note cos the survey fee of 35k is a fake survey wch might jeoperdise the entire documentation process. Mind you, d survey serves as d basis of all the development you intend to make. D minimum survey fee in Ogun State is 80-120k wch will av d proper survey done with appropriate record (red copy) submitted @oke mosan Abeokuta. For a quick check, direct your handler to send to you the copy of evidence of record submission @ appropriate land n records office in abeokuta

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by spence002(m): 1:16pm On Aug 08, 2016
Weldone, my brother, pray God see u through this project. I have read so many comments on this trend but i still want to maintain that most of these cost are still within acceptable bracket. Regarding cost of block, let me state here that i resides around alakuko which is less than 7mins drive from sango/ota. 9" blocks are currently being sold between 145 and 160 naira depends on ur bargaining strenght and the quantity you are buying. Also on the omo onile payments, its normal norm in this axis as even i have to part with 250k in 2011 when i was laying my house foundation, however move money will still be demanded as u proceed, Lord will help you out. At milestones like german floor, decking, roofing and others, they will still come for payment.

Regarding Borehole drilling, let me say, its one of my area of speciality, i have done alot of project in this field within and outside this axis. It's true you need to do underground geo survey to arcertain sub soil formation and aquifer level. However, you also need to be sure if you are drilling for industrial or domestic usage. If it industrial, definately you have to do the survey but for domestic, the luck people in this area have is that we can take cognisant from other wells bore within ur area or if your driller have basic knowledge of that area he can get yours done without spending on geo survey test. I have done mine since 2011 and even more for people around sango, agbado, ipaja, ota, itele and so on without a survey and i have never recorded any failure till date. This is not to say that all location couuld be drill without a survey report but i maintain that sango ota is as good as done without it. If you need us to give u a quotation for your location, pls contact Zenith Technical Services on 08034949794, 08056267545 and email zenithts@yahoo.com. We will visit the location and give you a very competitive cost proposal to include a good pump and various options to power the pump for you to select from.

Goodluck as you move on with your dream. Thx and God bless you
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by olabisiarike: 1:31pm On Aug 08, 2016
Hi, concerning your subject matter.Am a quantity surveyor and i believe i can give u the cost expertise advice you need. Farward me your architects drawings with your contacts to my email olasojifuwa@gmail.com
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by emjaykayode(m): 2:56pm On Aug 08, 2016
omozu1:

I agree with you the DPC is low please do something about
The Lord will complete it for you
Amen

Please heed advice above before it is too late.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by jaiyejina(m): 11:24pm On Aug 08, 2016
For those who want to follow OP's footstep. Take note:

7 months of 2016 gone, How much have you invested, how much have you spent on valuable assets, why not put some money in a landed property in a gated estate at a serene environment, Fairview estate, alapoti, agbara lga, Ogun State. #600,000 per plot. Visit us at suite 15 Yemosa shopping mall, 26 /28 Akowonjo road. Egbeda, Lagos State. Or call 08073060032 to schedule an appointment. Site inspection incures no cost!!!

Bless u all!!!
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 1:33am On Aug 09, 2016
Every single person, I thank you for your encouragement and advice and I am most grateful. Let me address some points raised:

1) Started thread months ago and have not posted or updated much. I apologise for this. The paper work just took longer than I anticipated. In hindsight, I should have waited for the paper work to complete before I started the thread.
2) Some people say the quotes given is too much. I requested and compared quotes from three completely different building contractors and they all came roughly about the same. Unless I am just unlucky and all three contractors have some how colluded to scam me.
3) Some people say the DPC level is too low. I will mention this to the building contractor and the person that drew the plan. However, is this not too late (ie. already covered with laterite? Sorry for my ignorance if I am wrong)
4) Some people have suggested that it would have been better (and cheaper?) to just buy already developed property in an estate. I do wonder about this myself, but I am not so sure, and don't forget this is a block of 4 flats, not just a flat or duplex.

Obviously this will be a slow and not too exciting thread (after all what is exciting about building a block of 4 flats, and I am sure there other many similar threads). However, I set the thread up to document my journey doing such a project from miles away abroad and for others to learn from my experience and for me to also benefit from other people's experience/advice/tips. Peace be onto you all and God bless!

2 Likes

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 1:46am On Aug 09, 2016
spence002:
Weldone, my brother, pray God see u through this project. I have read so many comments on this trend but i still want to maintain that most of these cost are still within acceptable bracket. Regarding cost of block, let me state here that i resides around alakuko which is less than 7mins drive from sango/ota. 9" blocks are currently being sold between 145 and 160 naira depends on ur bargaining strenght and the quantity you are buying. Also on the omo onile payments, its normal norm in this axis as even i have to part with 250k in 2011 when i was laying my house foundation, however move money will still be demanded as u proceed, Lord will help you out. At milestones like german floor, decking, roofing and others, they will still come for payment.

Regarding Borehole drilling, let me say, its one of my area of speciality, i have done alot of project in this field within and outside this axis. It's true you need to do underground geo survey to arcertain sub soil formation and aquifer level. However, you also need to be sure if you are drilling for industrial or domestic usage. If it industrial, definately you have to do the survey but for domestic, the luck people in this area have is that we can take cognisant from other wells bore within ur area or if your driller have basic knowledge of that area he can get yours done without spending on geo survey test. I have done mine since 2011 and even more for people around sango, agbado, ipaja, ota, itele and so on without a survey and i have never recorded any failure till date. This is not to say that all location couuld be drill without a survey report but i maintain that sango ota is as good as done without it. If you need us to give u a quotation for your location, pls contact Zenith Technical Services on 08034949794, 08056267545 and email zenithts@yahoo.com. We will visit the location and give you a very competitive cost proposal to include a good pump and various options to power the pump for you to select from.

Goodluck as you move on with your dream. Thx and God bless you

Thank you sir for your advice. The borehole person I have seen so far is somebody that have done in that area as well for some number of people and he proclaims to know the area. He has quoted (or we bargained him down) to 200k (inclusive of everything and pumping machine). 170k if I want to provide my own pumping machine, which I was thinking of doing (buying and shipping it abroad, at least that way I know what I am buying smiley )
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 5:37pm On Aug 09, 2016
adebayosun02:

I can assure you professionally that you av started on a wrong note cos the survey fee of 35k is a fake survey wch might jeoperdise the entire documentation process. Mind you, d survey serves as d basis of all the development you intend to make. D minimum survey fee in Ogun State is 80-120k wch will av d proper survey done with appropriate record (red copy) submitted @oke mosan Abeokuta. For a quick check, direct your handler to send to you the copy of evidence of record submission @ appropriate land n records office in abeokuta

I think the fee of N35k was to update the original survey which was done quite some years ago.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 5:51pm On Aug 09, 2016
AreaFada2:
Good. You are on FP now. You will likely get more useful comments;

But one advice: make sure you do find time to go see it yourself.

If possible be there during decking/slab or any other crucial stage.

This is no matter of trust or mistrust.

I have had costs inflated by up to 120% by a trusted person/pastor.

Be it artificially doubling surface area to be coated with German floor or dubiously doubling area to be covered by tiles.
I found out too late. Only when I sent other people/engineers to take measurements that I found out. The quotes just seemed out of place.

Clearly foundation material, cement bags, blocks said to have been used, nogging wood for roof when checked later by a builder, he said such quantity certainly was not needed for the size of house.
Instead of explaining how he used so much material, just admitting he lied, he stormed out and abandoned the project. Causing a rift.

That is life for you.
If you need to do a project in absentia, use a professional builder. There are some really great guys here on NL. Spyder880 is one.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice. Yes I do plan to go and check it myself sometime soon. I have somebody 'project managing' it for me and I get a relative to check up from time to time. However, you are right, one cannot trust anybody in Naija. However, one good thing about modern technology is that it is very easy to take pictures of the work on mobile phone and send it to me. Also, the quotation is broken down in details, listing the amount/number of materials etc required. I know it to an extent it is an estimamtion and sometimes they might require more than estimated. However, if you estimated for example you require 1000 blocks, and now require say 50-100 blocks extra, that could be understandable. If you, however, say you require 500 - 1000 blocks extra, then something is seriously wriong and I would be strongly questioning that!
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 6:02pm On Aug 09, 2016
olatoyib:
Nice one. God will make it easy 4 u to completion on time. pls what is difference between doing surveying and updating surveying plan?

I am not sure. I know a survey was done many years ago after I bought the land. Then when it came to drawing the building plan and submitting it for aproval, I was advised that the survey plan needed updating to meet current requirements etc
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 6:04pm On Aug 09, 2016
UEDIBO:
THIS MONEY U HAVE SPENT CAN RAISE IT UP TO LINTEL LEVEL IN MY PLACE.

Where is your place smiley
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 6:06pm On Aug 09, 2016
fagbohun4j:
May the good Lord that saw me through mine see you through. Building a house isn't an easy thing bro. Just be full of prayers and make sure you have a soldier friend in case of omo onile wahala.

Thank you bro. Wish I had a soldier friend! smiley
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 6:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
ocean77:

At bolded. No wonder the price is relatively too cheap for your design been a draughtsman. This are the people spoiling market for us. Meanwhile God will see you through. Amen.

Point taken. However, this is just a box-standard 4 x 3bed flats I am building, not some grand architectural design. I see no reason to pay an Architect for something a draughtsman can do for about half the price. The draughtsman need work to survive as well doesn't he? smiley As long as the building and structural plans have been approved.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 6:31pm On Aug 09, 2016
cmax16:
[OP said he is building "a block of 4 3-bed flat"! Why are you guys comparing with cost from a single 3-bed flat? Una no do comprehension for school ni?

quote author=ijeshaboy post=48293733]I think OP is been ripped off although I didn't do DPC but the total amount I spent from foundation to this roofing level is around 680 thousand naira, and I only went to d site once because am in far north and the building is in ibadan, the person handling it is not my family member. Note: I never allow him to handle any site material procurement I have those people selling cement and sand number and I mould the block, the only money I gave him is for the iron rod for the lintel casting I used nairaland experience with him althrough. Just concluded it yest.

Thank you for pointing this out (block of 4 x 3-bed flats). I was begining to get worried when people started saying I have spent (and been quoted) way too much! shocked
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Milikiman: 6:54pm On Aug 09, 2016
Sir ya survey raise my eye brow.its too cheap to b real in ogun state.and concerning plank or wood things.its advisable u contract it to a carpenter.
That is to say u can rent da wood or everything will supplied by d carpenter. Cuz after u re through u will not need d wood again. So rent it,in my area onihale are Ifo,u can negotiate that.God bless ya hussle
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 7:00pm On Aug 09, 2016
Delafruita:
just a few pointers...For borehole, better to go with submersible because of the water table in that environment. You can get a good machine in lagos so no need of importing it.

What horsepower and make/models should I look out for? Thanks
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by UEDIBO: 12:02pm On Aug 11, 2016
rabcnesbit:

Where is your place smiley
KOGI
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 9:16pm On Aug 26, 2016
First image: filling of laterite, ramming of laterite and laying of BRC completed (materials and labour = N458,000)
Second image: German floor completed (materials and labour = N749,500)

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Funmiladey(m): 7:05am On Aug 31, 2016
This is a good and neat job well done, you can tell your engineer to contact me for supply of granite, any quantity and quality even stone dust can be supplied. Call/ WhatsApp : 07060523918.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 1:24am On Sep 08, 2016
Funmiladey:
This is a good and neat job well done, you can tell your engineer to contact me for supply of granite, any quantity and quality even stone dust can be supplied. Call/ WhatsApp : 07060523918.

Thank you.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 1:26am On Sep 08, 2016
Unfortunately, a combination of persistent rainfall and the recent heavy hike in the price of cement have slowed things down a bit. Will update when building work restarts in due course.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Memejem: 4:50pm On Jan 14, 2017
Any update?
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 6:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
Memejem:
Any update?

All glory be to God Almighty! By his grace and will, we have got it to roofing level. Next stage is roofing. My current dilemma is I am leaning towards slate (life span) roofing as opposed to the popular aluminum roofing. Only issue is that slates available so far are just light gray or red in colour. There does not seem to be aa variety of colours when it comes to slates!

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by TAJIBADE: 1:37pm On Feb 02, 2017
rabcnesbit:

All glory be to God Almighty! By his grace and will, we have got it to roofing level. Next stage is roofing. My current dilemma is I am leaning towards slate (life span) roofing as opposed to the popular aluminum roofing. Only issue is that slates available so far are just light gray or red in colour. There does not seem to be aa variety of colours when it comes to slates!

can we know thr financial implication till this stage. Thanks
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 6:32pm On Feb 02, 2017
TAJIBADE:
can we know thr financial implication till this stage. Thanks

Building alone (that is materials and labour), excluding (purchase of land, building plan, C of O, settling omonile, periodic clearing of vegetation, tips here and there, and other miscellaneous) comes to approximately N10,521,000
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by rabcnesbit: 9:47pm On Feb 28, 2017
Roofed. All praises to God!

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Norrah(f): 8:53am On Mar 02, 2017
OWN YOUR HOME WITH AS LOW AS N55,000 MONTHLY

The Casafina H.O.M.E scheme is a RENT TO OWN Scheme which provides opportunity for FIRST TIME HOME OWNERS to invest in and own their own H.O.M.E. It provides a platform also for INVESTORS to generate high return on investment and contribute to positive social development in Nigeria and their environment.

We are offering two ultramodern designs; two bedroom and three bedroom terrace bungalows. These units are offered and delivered at either fully finished or Carcass levels.

1) Fully Finished Units 3 Bedroom; (8.5 million Naira)
a. Three Bedrooms, all rooms en-suite with visitor’s Toilet.
b. Fully tiled floors
c. POP/PVC ceiling mix
d. Kitchen Cabinet
e. Mechanical work/Sanitary Ware.
f. Electrical Fittings.

2) Fully Finished Units 2 Bedroom; (6.5 Million Naira)
a. Two Bedrooms, all rooms en-suite with visitor’s Toilet.
b. Fully tiled floors
c. POP/PVC ceiling Mix.
d. Kitchen Cabinet
e. Mechanical work/Sanitary Ware.
f. Electrical Fittings.

3) Carcass (Semi-Finished) 3 Bedroom Units; (6.0 Million)
a. Complete external finishing.
b. Plastering of inner wall
c. External doors
d. Cement flooring.

4) Carcass (Semi-Finished) 2 Bedroom Units; (4.0 Million)
a. Complete external finishing.
b. Plastering of inner wall
c. External doors
d. Cement flooring.

Note; The Carcass will not include;
1. Burglary proof.
2. Internal Doors.
3. Floor Tile and finishing
4. POP Ceiling
5. Sanitary Wares, Taps etc.
6. Electrical Fitting
7. Kitchen Cabinets etc.
8. Interior Painting.
9. Other interior works

CASAVILLA ESTATE is located along Gas pipe line road, off the main Magboro road, 15 minutes’ drive from Lagos Ibadan express way and a further 10 minutes’ drive from Central business district Alausa.

CASAFINA CAPITAL LIMITED is a real estate development and infrastructural financing company with focus on low-medium residential housing development and infrastructural development financing. We are the developers of CASAVILLA ESTATE. We recently commenced the development of the first ten units; these are
at various levels of development.

BENEFITS OF THE SCHEME
1) Opportunity to own your own HOME.
2) Opportunity to invest in inflation proof asset.
3) Immediate appreciation/increase in the value of your investment.
4) Ownership of a luxurious and ultramodern two/three bedroom Bungalow.
5) Opportunity for passive income.

The HOME scheme provides a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you to acquire your OWN HOME and pay in convenient instalments. It is an opportunity that should not be missed!!

For details/enquiries/inspection, call 09080702018
Or send an email to norao@casafina.com.ng

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Shegman22(m): 9:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
Good and neat job, Contact MOSMAR BUILDERS NIGERIA for your interlocking and Concrete stamped floor for your external floor

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EXECUTIVE BATHROOM NEEDS HERE WITH PICTURES / Fire Razes Properties, Shops At Alaba International Market, Ojo / Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.