Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers (41691 Views)

Ndic – “digital Currency Trading Is Not Legal In Nigeria” See Why! / Nigeria Enters League Of Steel Exporters / Nigeria – China Currency Deal – The Biggest Winners And Losers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by nosypat(m): 4:37pm On Jan 07, 2016
Pls oooh Nairalanders, what sites can I visit to download movies (comfortably) on my BlackBerry Q5? Pls help a brother.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 4:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
onatisi:
that is what many are overlooking. Mtn and other internet providers are the real gainers. Ppl will subscribe to netflix and again buy data from gsm and internet providers. Netflix films will consume enough data ,which means ppl will be buying more data,after 3 months Nigerians will start complaining and they will eventually reduce their patronage of netflzx and gently like an obedient school boy go back to their gotv,startimes and dstv

You missed it big time.

Unlike the above listed cable companys, telcos who provide internet always strive to reduce price to the consumer cos of competition.

DSTV can be increasing subscription yearly & rubbing it in our faces cos they are practically a monopoly.How much were you paying 3 years ago for subscription to those clowns ?

How much were you paying for data 3 years ago?

Remember how much BB subscriptions were when they first came in?

Don't dull yourself
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by nextstep(m): 4:41pm On Jan 07, 2016
deolu2000:
Only a small percentage of Nigerians watches internet TV as such,due to high cost of data and ofcourse poor services from ISP, so i don't how this news is so special to a common man aside to the elites that can afford their own bandwidth.

That's exactly what I was thinking. 3gb that I budget for 2 weeks will be exhausted in 2 days watching netflix.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 4:46pm On Jan 07, 2016
Ymodulus:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As it stands Netflix dream of breaking into the china market is just a wish.

Netflix will never be allowed in China. It's just a day dream for CEO. We need to start generating revenue and not giving money to some foreign Johny just enter Nigeria foreign firms

Nice news to see such services available worldwide. However this is not only about services available worldwide, it's about local authorities allowing them to do their business freely.

I'm sure in a matter of days, Netflix will be blocked in the UAE because it's going to hurt the local communication companies which monopolize the market. Plus, I believe there's adult content on Netflix which can't be allowed in UAE.

Also in China, if there is anything to praise the Chinese Government for, its the fact that they don't just allow foreign competition that can kill of their local companies.

Take a look at several bug companies till date, Chinese government even while trying to control information try as much as possible to ensure that their own country have a local version of what is seen internationally.

Do you talk of

** Twitter? China has Weibo
** WhatsApp? China has wechat / Qq / recent
** Google? China has Baidu
** Amazon? We have Aliexpress , Taobao etc.

My point is, the CEO of Netflix should stop day dreaming about breaking into the Chinese market. It is never possible. Even Facebook till date is no where in China, not even twitter. Even Google has no presence.

Another problem is that Nigeria does not have cable operators or Good internet service like Comcast, that can allow good streaming of such videos on our home TV without Buffering.

Combining $8 ( 1600 naira ) + Internet subscription fee = Final subscription will be close DSTV subscription fee. I honestly don't see this as reasonable competition. Aside the fact that the movies on Netflix can be Movie on Demand

At bolded what of electricity? Don't these companies need electricity the most basic of needs to exist.

Una get light as a form of greeting...foreign companies don't need to be an issue. Your government doesn't even provide the most basic of infrastructure to talk of competition. How many manufacturing firms do you have in Nigeria today compared to 10, 15 years ago?

You're barking up the wrong tree sir.

Let's stop deceiving ourselves or is changing the effectiveness of the power companies also within your power?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Stycon(m): 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2016
Ymodulus:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As it stands Netflix dream of breaking into the china market is just a wish.

Netflix will never be allowed in China. It's just a day dream for CEO. We need to start generating revenue and not giving money to some foreign Johny just enter Nigeria foreign firms

Nice news to see such services available worldwide. However this is not only about services available worldwide, it's about local authorities allowing them to do their business freely.

I'm sure in a matter of days, Netflix will be blocked in the UAE because it's going to hurt the local communication companies which monopolize the market. Plus, I believe there's adult content on Netflix which can't be allowed in UAE.

Also in China, if there is anything to praise the Chinese Government for, its the fact that they don't just allow foreign competition that can kill of their local companies.

Take a look at several bug companies till date, Chinese government even while trying to control information try as much as possible to ensure that their own country have a local version of what is seen internationally.

Do you talk of

** Twitter? China has Weibo
** WhatsApp? China has wechat / Qq / recent
** Google? China has Baidu
** Amazon? We have Aliexpress , Taobao etc.

My point is, the CEO of Netflix should stop day dreaming about breaking into the Chinese market. It is never possible. Even Facebook till date is no where in China, not even twitter. Even Google has no presence.

Another problem is that Nigeria does not have cable operators or Good internet service like Comcast, that can allow good streaming of such videos on our home TV without Buffering.

However looking at the Good sight of this deal, it will be advantageous,

*Combining $8 ( 1600 naira ) + Internet subscription fee = Final subscription will be cheaper than DstV subscription.
* Aside the fact that the movies on Netflix can be Movie on Demand
* I can finally get to watch season movies as fast as possible without downloading

I doubt if blocking foreign investments as this is the way out~ what we need do is to create the boundaries, set our rules, ensure local content~ and at best find a means to encourage as well as strengthen domestic firms.

Foreign investment as this is a good thing if properly guided!~ think about the likely capital in-flow(effect on our BOP),employment that may probably come with such, how the competition might drive the price in favour of the end user and lots more!

There are better ways around this than building resistance again foreign investments!

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by scholti: 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2016
bigtt76:
Did they ever make any impact?

Irokotv makes millions every year. Last year it signed a multimillion deal with a French company, to supply French-speaking countries with films. Infact, it has an international arm supplying (and translating) films to countries around the world interested in Africa films. There is a massive demand for Nollywood films in and out of Nigeria. They are one of the greatest forces in the Nigerian film-making industry.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by ibietela2(m): 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2016
bigtt76:
Netflix now have an optimized app that consumes less data. I've been off DSTV rubbish for a year now. HULU, Netflix, Popcorn time, Mobdro and Kickass Torrents been my replacement grin

Are you a female?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by OlufemiOAP(m): 4:52pm On Jan 07, 2016
BiggerBangs:
grin grin
[size=15pt]
Correct..a better place to exhaust my 20GbB Etisalat Data[/size]
pls how can I get 20gb too

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 4:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
nextstep:

That's exactly what I was thinking. 3gb that I budget for 2 weeks will be exhausted in 2 days watching netflix.

Tomorrow now you will be looking for motivational speaker to tell you what to do to make money.

You just identified a challenge.
It's possible for other countries to do it based on the conditions
It's to highlight the challenge that you'll rather do

Tomorrow another south African company will come & do it for you & charge you blood & you start complaining

SMH

Don't worry internet companies belonging to Nigerians with vision are obviously working on making this possible.

You think they don't want that your pocket that you give to DSTV ?

I'll talk to you again in 3 months
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by kokoA(m): 5:05pm On Jan 07, 2016
How much is it?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 5:07pm On Jan 07, 2016
Stycon:

I doubt if blocking foreign investments as this is the way out~ what we need do is to create the boundaries, set our rules, ensure local content~ and at best find a means to encourage as well as strengthen domestic firms.

Foreign investment as this is a good thing if properly guided!~ think about the likely capital in-flow(effect on our BOP),employment that may probably come with such, how the competition might drive the price in favour of the end user and lots more!

There are better ways around this than building resistance again foreign investments!

I agree with you on everything except for that local content thing

Enough of spoon feeding these people please!
That's why they keep feeding us crap in the name of local content.

I just watched "Beasts of no nation" book written by a Nigerian funny enough distributed on Netflix besides Idris Elba every single person on the cast were never heard of and you should see the movie. Even half of a yellow Sun with its all star cast no near this movie I swear!

Was it not humans like them that produced it?
Even ended up getting the kid Abraham Attah an award in Venice.

Why must we be using our own hands to put a glass ceiling over our heads?

Entertainment is art & art is universal, let the local guys understand the dynamics & stop being pu55ies abeg!

Do you know how old "007 Goldfinger" is? Even till now no hope of nearing it cos of local content.

Na so America too dey do local content?

The quality of your work will determine if I should watch it lets not forget I'm paying for this sh!t.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
admax:
On a negative note: American Gayism and Lesbianism culture will now be fully integrated into the Nigerian culture as most American movies, reality shows and soap opera must those act. Since most Africans are reluctant to embrace homosexuality, this is a good avenue to brain-watch Africans. How can we escape this?
sir with all due respect all the aforementioned issues has been never been a secret to Nigerians as Gayism and Lesbianism culture as you call it has been integrated into our society by unscrupulous people. Our mindset on the issue is all that matters not what they say in their movies
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by purplekayc(m): 5:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
Hope their movies z downloadable??
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 5:13pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lyoncrescent:
I am indifferent to the whole netflix thing.

I was able to download Beast of No Nation on Torrent 24 hours after it was released on netflix.

Sherlocks Abominable Bride was on torrent, three hours after it was released.

Even series exclusive to Netflix such as House of Cards and Orange is the new black are often avalaible on Torrent. Netflix even makes it easier to download because they release all the episodes to their series at the same time i think. Downloading on torrent is free and sweet if you work in an office that doesnt block torrent.

If i want to watch Nigerian Movies, i visit youtube and watch them for free.

Streaming Movies on Netflix in Nigeria doesnt make any economic sense for lyoncrescent unless all torrent websites are banned.

Obviously you don't think it's the same amount of data you use on torrents you use on Netflix

Or yes you really should download & save everything ...how big is your memory drive sir?
What's the size of every movie or tv series out there youd like to own?

Torrents is one step behind Oga. Understand the dynamics before bragging.

Geez!

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 5:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
flamyd:
sir with all due respect all the aforementioned issues has been never been a secret to Nigerians as Gayism and Lesbianism culture as you call it has been integrated into our society by unscrupulous people. Our mindset on the issue is all that matters not what they say in their movies

You honestly have no idea how we like to deceive ourselves in this country I swear.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by bigtt76(f): 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2016
Why? You think say na only boys or guys de bi techie? tongue

ibietela2:

Are you a female?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Embi(f): 5:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
Steam your videos on JUA Energy earphone. Shop on Jumia. Price: 5k only

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by LordVoldemort(m): 5:42pm On Jan 07, 2016
Very series was a hissss from #makingamurderer to #marcopolo to #nachos everybody go and get strong Internet connection cos netflix ti take over

I'm enjoying my netflix

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by bigtt76(f): 5:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
Data don't come cheaply but if you can afford a good Internet, saves the cost of buying additional data on your font separate and subscribing for DSTV. You kind of get an all in one package so to speak

omodapson:

Do data come cheap? In the end, you might be shelling out more than 16k on data every month. Unless they come so cheap....
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by VickyRotex(f): 5:46pm On Jan 07, 2016
cococandy:

Hey. Do you still get popcorntime?
It's been blocked on my side.
How do you get it?

The last time I tried it was last week and it worked.
But I'll try it again as soon as I get back home and I'll get back to you.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Touchey: 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2016
admax:
On a negative note: American Gayism and Lesbianism culture will now be fully integrated into the Nigerian culture as most American movies, reality shows and soap opera must those act. Since most Africans are reluctant to embrace homosexuality, this is a good avenue to brain-watch Africans. How can we escape this?

iDiot

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by VickyRotex(f): 5:49pm On Jan 07, 2016
masterpat:

How did u sigh up... i couldnt because my UBA master card wasnt accepted

Did you try it outside Nigeria or In Nigeria?

Cos I signed up for mine outside Nigeria, but I used my GTB Mastercard and it was accepted.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by onatisi(m): 5:49pm On Jan 07, 2016
refreshrate:

You missed it big time.

Unlike the above listed cable companys, telcos who provide internet always strive to reduce price to the consumer cos of competition.

DSTV can be increasing subscription yearly & rubbing it in our faces cos they are practically a monopoly.How much were you paying 3 years ago for subscription to those clowns ?

How much were you paying for data 3 years ago?

Remember how much BB subscriptions were when they first came in?

Don't dull yourself

You are the one who is missing it big time. The point is you need data to use Netflix and the cost of data is still high and may likely remain so with the current rate of exchange.
Dstv and other cable providers will still hold the market
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by bigtt76(f): 5:49pm On Jan 07, 2016
Hmm.. Rough setup undecided see cables flying around like spider website grin

LordVoldemort:
Very series was a hissss from #makingamurderer to #marcopolo to #nachos everybody go and get strong Internet connection cos netflix ti take over

I'm enjoying my netflix

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by ibietela2(m): 5:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
bigtt76:
Why? You think say na only boys or guys de bi techie? tongue

All this services you mentioned........ Lol, it's good sha.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by bigtt76(f): 5:56pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lol like seriously? You think I'd be like babies waiting on a guy for her fill of movies? Naaaaaah I run my own show dear tongue

ibietela2:

All this services you mentioned........ Lol, it's good sha.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Lyoncrescent: 5:57pm On Jan 07, 2016
refreshrate:

Obviously you don't think it's the same amount of data you use on torrents you use on Netflix

Or yes you really should download & save everything ...how big is your memory drive sir?
What's the size of every movie or tv series out there youd like to own?

Torrents is one step behind Oga. Understand the dynamics before bragging.

Geez!

Breathe in and Out 10 Times then use Google. Cheers.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2016
onatisi:

You are the one who is missing it big time. The point is you need data to use Netflix and the cost of data is still high and may likely remain so with the current rate of exchange.
Dstv and other cable providers will still hold the market

Its ok ive heard.

No point arguing guess dstv works with a different exchange rate
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by donwise1(m): 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2016
In need of data to watch Netflix?

Watch it FREE with series of unlimited free data and browsing now trending at www.wizytechs.com

Join others and rock free browsing.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Ymodulus: 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2016
refreshrate:

I agree with you on everything except for that local content thing

Enough of spoon feeding these people please!
That's why they keep feeding us crap in the name of local content.

I just watched "Beasts of no nation" book written by a Nigerian funny enough distributed on Netflix besides Idris Elba every single person on the cast were never heard of and you should see the movie. Even half of a yellow Sun with its all star cast no near this movie I swear!

Was it not humans like them that produced it?
Even ended up getting the kid Abraham Attah an award in Venice.

Why must we be using our own hands to put a glass ceiling over our heads?

Entertainment is art & art is universal, let the local guys understand the dynamics & stop being pu55ies abeg!

Do you know how old "007 Goldfinger" is? Even till now no hope of nearing it cos of local content.

Na so America too dey do local content?

The quality of your work will determine if I should watch it lets not forget I'm paying for this sh!t.

Half of a yellow sun is just overhyped.

Beast of No nation is too good. And movie with direction.

I love the small boy called Agwu. His acting is just classic

jahstech:

You are wrong my friend, just like i saw this topic was coming up
Lets do the math:
I pay 1600 for Netflix + 12000 for 1 month Unlimited Internet (Coz Internet) = 13600

If you have an Android Box like Ancloud P5 with premium channels, that takes care of all your soccer need.

Let say according to my research you pay 7000 "yearly" for premium bouquet on Ancloud P5, that takes the money to 20,600.

But NOTE: Your 12000 internet is for 1 month, so instead of watching only TV with 16000 (DSTHIEVES) for a MONTH, you pay a total of:
12,000 Internet
+
1600 Netflix
+
600 sport ( ancloud p5 subscription per month)
= 14200
not only for tv but for INTERNET CONNECTIVITY for a whole month!!!!!!

How is that my friend?

Brilliant!!!!

However there is no unlimited data streaming in Nigeria for 12,000
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by cococandy(f): 6:10pm On Jan 07, 2016
VickyRotex:

The last time I tried it was last week and it worked.
But I'll try it again as soon as I get back home and I'll get back to you.
okay
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lyoncrescent:

Breathe in and Out 10 Times then use Google. Cheers.

im guessing this is you trying to sound intelligent?

now use google for what precisely?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dollar Crashes To ₦790 At Parallel Market After Tinubu, CBN Governor’s Meeting / Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands / The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.