Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones (16801 Views)

Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others / Buhari’s Economic Reforms Are Bold – Obama / Soludo Faults Buhari's Economic Policies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 07, 2016
Many people have been saying that Buhari means well with his economic policies including my humble self, however, haven discussed with many people and studying who are affected the most, I am convinced to say that whilst Buhari's economic policies affect all Nigerians, the group it affects the most in a disportionate manner are the Igbos. When you examine most of these policies you would think that Igbos are specifically being targeted on all fronts. Let us examine the facts one after the other.

1. According to Vanguard news today, it was stated that Buhari's government have moved Lagos clearing house for imports to Kano. We all know that almost half of Lagos are occupied by Igbos. Igbo business men around the country have their networks in Lagos, and all they have known for many years is clearing their goods in Lagos. Moving it to Kano only adds to their cost without a concomitant value. Does it affect all business men, including hausas? Yes of course, but we all know that at least 70% of imports in Nigeria are carried out by Igbo business men all over Nigeria. This is NOT a good policy in my opinion it creates bad blood for the average Igbo business man, and make life even tougher for them.

(Link here http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/igbo-traders-bemoan-buharis-economic-policies-harsh-business-environment/)

2. The dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos. Most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. Worse still businessess that have millions of USD turn over, are prevented by the banks to collect their money, with the bank claiming they do not have dollar. This essentially grinds businesses and further makes the economy slip into oblivion. Does this policy affect other non-Igbo importers? Ofcourse yes, but given that Igbos are the engine of all of our imports in Nigeria, we can safely say that they are disproportionately affected.

3. Two days ago the APC government of Ambode, who in my opinion has been a confused governor, unable to just keep up with what Fashola has done, ordered that Oshodi market be destroyed. This is one of the largest market places in Nigeria and West Africa. Is it a bad policy to destroy Oshodi market for developmental reasons? Absolutely not, depending on its intent. However, what is bad policy, is when you do not give any notice, no alternatives, and then destroy peoples business that took many years to build, throwing thousands off their employment, and making many more people jobless. This is barbaric to say the least. Which group of people dominate Oshodi market? Igbos ofcourse. By many accounts, Igbos make up 85 - 90% of the traders in Oshodi. Was it a way of telling the Igbos that they are not needed in Lagos? Who inspired Ambode to take such actions?

I won't go further than this, but one thing is clear, PMB would have to thread carefully, or else what he thinks he is trying to make better, would only make the country worse. We do not need another civil war, policies like this only make Nigeria more polarized and ungovernable.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

-CramJones

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 07, 2016
cc: Tonyebarcanista ishilove obinoscopy
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by TheSonOfMark(m): 4:28pm On Jan 07, 2016

Opining that Buhari's economic policies are specifically aimed at demoralizing the Igbos is akin to stating that your landlord allows grasses to grow in his compound so snakes can attack your cats. Obviously you're whipping up ethnic sentiments to score brownie points with the Igbos to help further your cause.

Buhari's policies affect us all, mostly negatively. Who do these supposed maligned Igbo traders sell their wares to? Nigerians - a pot pouri of persons from hundreds of ethnic groups. We (the masses) end up bearing the brunt of the extra costs on import duties, the widening gulf in foreign exchange rates, the prejudice of being from from one of the many bases of terrorist groups and other such negative attributes appellated to his administration.

Buhari's policies are bad (and that's putting it euphemistically) but they are NOT targeted solely at the Igbos but at Nigerians who over the decades have been taken for a ride and whose gullibility for being tricked into the pseudo-change mantra is now being repaid by an elitist government.

"Sai Buhari", anyone? No response? I thought as much. Enjoy the "change".
[/b]

98 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Rose2014: 4:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
Buhari's policies is aimed at destroying entrepreneurs in Nigeria cos it's hard to run any business in Nigeria without needing anything from outside the country.

If he's trying to punish Igbos for not voting for him, he should be aware that he's indirectly punishing the masses cos guess what? If I have to go through so much to run my business, the Yoruba Igbo and Hausa civil servants should get ready to spend their minimum wage on one underwear.

Let his robots keep hailing him, let's see who loses last last

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by weyabblog: 4:31pm On Jan 07, 2016
they can't do the worst of 20 pounds only after civil war. Nigeria will cry at the end

47 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Bigprozzie: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2016
Ill informed, mostly asinine sub analysis by an attention seeker

@ Topic

No decent Nigerian cares if any set of people are disproportionately affected.

1. The customs must be sanitized, Nigeria loses billions of dollars because of the corruption in the body. Importation of goods should not be the mainstay of the economy. Those brilliant igbos should start manufacturing the products they are currently importing

2. Ambode ordered the destruction of the shop at Oshodi and that is the right decision. The market is an eyesore and is used by hoodlums and criminals to victimise Lagosians. Besides, the LASG gave the traders enough notice to vacate the market.

The OP is just playing the devils advocate and he impresses no one.

99 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Rose2014: 4:33pm On Jan 07, 2016
weyabblog:
they can't do the worst of 20 pounds only after civil war. Nigeria will cry at the end
Gbam

9 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Mamatee07: 4:33pm On Jan 07, 2016
Yep, the usual victim mentality

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bigprozzie:

Talking down the points I have raised without raising any counter factual points, just makes you look stupiid. I have been in the APC. I have sat with Buhari a number of times, I am an ardent supporter of Buhari, but when someone is toeing a wrong line, you must call it out. I am not even Igbo, so please don't sound like an idiot.

-CramJones

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Ephemmm: 4:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Though not an economist, but you can just put dust into my eyes because I had B2 in economics during my secondary school days tongue tongue tongue

1. Increase in the cost of goods have little effect on middlemen, consumers who are mostly not Ibos would be at the receiving end: how has this affected only Ibos if I may ask?

2. You also said that the dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos because most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. The simple understanding of demand and supply will tell you that the lower the supply, the higher the price: consumer will also be at the receiving end in that the little available imported product will be costlier than before. You need to wake up from your slumber.

3. Destruction of Oshodi market is a good move in my own opinion: its existence does more harm than good. Apart from the fact that the market habours bunch of criminals, its arrangement and design is an eyesour in Lagos metropolis.

However, I prefer to believe that my grandma is a virgin till date than believing that nobody was giving notice. Besides, LASG has both ownership and possession of the market: why the gnashing of teeth?

Consumers, who are mostly non-ibos are king when it comes to business activities: no business activities can survive if they don't exist. That is why it will be more easier for an horse to pass through the needle's eye than for all Ibos to go back to Biafra(availability of market/consumer).

Anything that affect Ibos business will bring about rise in the price of imported product: consumers will bear its resultant effect. A visitor to the house of bereaved has no reason to cry more than the child of the bereaved: stop being tribalistic.

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by EternalTruths: 4:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
With fervent daily prayer and deep thoughts of how to succeed, Igbos will excel.

Igbos remember you guys are

1) God's blessing to Africa

2) Special breed of Africans

3) The Joseph of Africa

Through the help of Yahweh Jesus and HolySpirit, victory is certain.

Remember that this year, Igbos will complain less and pray/think their way out.

As for the cattleman of Daura, oil price will fall to $10 this year.

The oil wealth of the 5% will never be of help to his government. cool

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by paramakina202: 4:37pm On Jan 07, 2016
It's obvious Nigeria has never been fair and just to the Igbos but definitely,one day ndi Igbo shall prevail.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by EternalTruths: 4:37pm On Jan 07, 2016
cramjones:

Talking down the points I have raised without raising any counter factual points, just makes you look stupiid. I have been in the APC. I have sat with Buhari a number of times, I am an ardent supporter of Buhari, but when someone is toeing a wrong line, you must call it out. I am not even Igbo, so please don't sound like an idiot.

-CramJones

You gave him an uppercut.

Next time he will think before typing. cool

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by PedroJP(m): 4:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
No matter what the economy of the jungle is, the lion can never eat grass.

Same way, no condition brought about by Hausa/yoruba in their act of wickedness against Igbos will make beggers flood East.

They keep scheming to frustrate Igbos, we keep bouncing.

The real attachee who left their brothers in Togo and Benin to die in one Nigeria, who are demolishing mkts thinking they are getting at Igbos lack knowledge, they will soon dance to their evill music. Some of them are even trying to abandon their folks in west to claim and attach to "we ss"

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by drss2(m): 4:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
when we say gen buari is unfit to rule a modern country like nigeria, pipul tink we ar just hating on him. dat we hate him for no reason. now everybody can see d consequencies of his terrible economic policies. general buari's hatred for Igbos is deep in his blood. can anybody explain why shehu shagari was kept under house arrest in a presidential palace n alex ekwueme was thrown into prison in 1984 Does this not shows hatred for Igbos.
see how he is systematically targeting Igbo businesses all over d country to slow dem down so dat his northern pipul like dangote will maintain monopoly. sad look at capital oil, ibeto cement, innoson n many odas all targets of buari's despotic policies. a nepostic, tribalist, bigotric n a religious fanatic who is bend on destroying South East.
But no matter how he n his northern brothers try to destroy SE business, they will never succced. we will keep rising higher n higher. noting can stop us from progressing, not even d devil himself can keep SE down.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Bigprozzie: 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
cramjones:

[s]Talking down the points I have raised without raising any counter factual points, just makes you look stupiid. I have been in the APC. I have sat with Buhari a number of times, I am an ardent supporter of Buhari, but when someone is toeing a wrong line, you must call it out. I am not even Igbo, so please don't sound like an idiot.[/s]

-CramJones

Take your bare faced lies and shove it where the sun dont shine.

Do you think you are conversing with the illiterates that have fallen for your self absorbed and low self esteem induced threads.

You are inconsequential, an attention seeker and 90% of the time, you make no sense.

@ Topic

No decent Nigerian cares if any set of people are disproportionately affected.

1. The customs must be sanitized, Nigeria loses billions of dollars because of the corruption in the body. Importation of goods should not be the mainstay of the economy. Those brilliant igbos should start manufacturing the products they are currently importing

2. Ambode ordered the destruction of the shop at Oshodi and that is the right decision. The market is an eyesore and is used by hoodlums and criminals to victimise Lagosians. Besides, the LASG gave the traders enough notice to vacate the market.

The OP is just playing the devils advocate and he impresses no one.

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by EternalTruths: 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
PedroJP:
No matter what the economy of the jungle is, the lion can never eat grass.

Same way, no condition brought about by Hausa/yoruba in their act of wickedness against Igbos will make beggers flood East.

They keep scheming to frustrate Igbos, we keep bouncing.

The real attachee who left their brothers in Togo and Benin to die in one Nigeria, who are demolishing mkts thinking they are getting at Igbos lack knowledge, they will soon dance to their evill music. Some of them are even trying to abandon their folks in west to claim and attach to "we ss"

Gbam

Igbos, remember that with 20 pounds, we survived.

Remember you are sons and daughters of the most high

Remember that you are designed to survive in chaos

Remember that you are the Germany and Japan of Africa

We will rise out of ashes unto glory.

God bless Ndigbos. cool

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by PedroJP(m): 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bigprozzie:

Take your bare faced lies and shove it where the sun dont shine.

Do you think you are conversing with the illiterates that have fallen for your self absorbed and low self esteem induced threads.

You are inconsequential, an attention seeker and 90% of the time, you make no sense.

@ Topic

No decent Nigerian cares if any set of people are disproportionately affected

So u and ur dauraa came to power to fight Igbos ? Ok, continue. Na una go tire

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by EternalTruths: 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2016
drss2:
gen buari's hatred for Igbos is deep in his blood. Nepostic, tribalist, bigotric n a religious fanatic who is bend on destroying South East.

By the end of Buhari's regime, those regions who supported him will see the evil he wishes Igbos fall on him

May God send uncommon confusion upon the import clearing agency placed in Kano. angry

15 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Bigprozzie: 4:52pm On Jan 07, 2016
PedroJP:

So u and ur dauraa came to power to fight Igbos ? Ok, continue. Na una go tire

It is just common sense economics. No country survives by importing 75% of goods consumed.

How can we continue to talk about diversification. Now is the time to put it into action. The Igbo importers should start production of the toothpicks, toys, pants, singlets, plastics, pencils etc that they import from China

How can a country like Nigeria be a net importer of Rice and making Thai farmers rich just because importation of rice is a faster option and a quick way to make a buck?

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by TheSonOfMark(m): 4:54pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bigprozzie:

You're a subscriber to the mob ideology Fani Kayode keeps alluding to - APC internet bullies with one-track minds coupled with nadir-esque comprehension skills who continually churn your party's stale propagandist hogwash to deceive the gullible masses while the reality of the many failures of Buhari and his cronies stare you in the face like the foggy haze in harmattan.

Keep living the illusion!

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by EternalTruths: 4:57pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bigprozzie:

It is just common sense economics. No country survives by importing 75% of goods consumed.

How can we continue to talk about diversification. Now is the time to put it into action. The Igbo importers should start production of the toothpicks, toys, pants, singlets, plastics, pencils etc that they import from China

How can a country like Nigeria be a net importer of Rice and making Thai farmers rich just because of importation?

Why relocate the clearing agency headquarters to Kano when he should decentralize it along geopolitical zones.

If your god Buhari truly wants to diversify, he should encourage the states to exploit their resources while paying a reasonable % to the FG. angry

10 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Bigprozzie: 4:58pm On Jan 07, 2016
TheSonOfMark:

You're a subscriber to the mob ideology Fani Kayode keeps alluding to - APC internet bullies with one-track minds with nadir-esque comprehension skills who continually churn your stale propagandist hogwash to deceive the gullible masses while the reality of the many ailures of Buhari and his cronies stare you in the face like the foggy haze in harmattan.

Keep living the illusion.

Ignored

You are not on my level. I have seen your pictures. Please move along

23 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by PedroJP(m): 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bigprozzie:

How can a country like Nigeria be a net importer of Rice and making Thai farmers rich just because importation of rice is a faster option and a quick way to make a buck?

My friend u put things in place first to make things easy 4 ur subjects b4 u make such policies and not to act like an almighty in order to punish ur perceived enemy u can never get at.

At least u start ur no importation from oil sector which will help locals both in availability of petroleum products, favourable cost and energy boost. Then u can talk about restricting importation of on other sectors. No need to tell u more as u are not d dullllard and can't say his intentions though he has non other than wickedness.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 07, 2016
cramjones:

-CramJones
Oga plz go and sit down and leave the Igbo to sort out themselves. The Igbo man will always come out victorious no matter what is thrown at him.

@ thesonofmark thanks for that comment .

9 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Bigprozzie: 5:03pm On Jan 07, 2016
EternalTruths:

Why relocate the clearing agency headquarters to Kano when he decentralize it along geopolitical zones.

If your god Buhari truly wants to diversify, he should encourage the states to exploit their resources while paying a reasonable % to the FG. angry

First of all, can you provide proof that he is actually relocating the Clearing Agency' to Kano?

Even if true, how the Buhari Govt intends to sanitize the customs is totally up to the government. We can only judge them on performance.

For diversification to occur, we have to produce more, the first step is to discourage unnecessary importation. We should all be ashamed that Nigeria imports toothpick, pencil and towels.

While some of you Igbos are shouting online and calling Buhari names, smart Igbos have already got the message and are building capacity to start production of goods that they would normally import.

In 2 years time, when they start reaping the rewards of their foresight, it is the same IPOb youths that will start kidnapping them.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by drss2(m): 5:04pm On Jan 07, 2016
EternalTruths:

By the end of Buhari's regime, those regions who supported him will see the evil he wishes Igbos fall on him

May God send uncommon confusion upon the import clearing agency placed in Kano. angry
no mind dem. at least we will not be disappointed when buari's govt ends in disaster. they ar d ones dat will really be disappointed in gen buari dullard.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by TheSonOfMark(m): 5:06pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bigprozzie:

Ignored

Face the topic, sycophant! My pictures are regularly updated on my profile 'cause, unlike you, I have no run in against the law and I have nothing to hide.

Wait...You've seen my pictures? Which means you've been checking my profile regularly and I don't even know you. Hello everyone, I've got a fan!

You couldn't even articulate a retort to counter the points I raised
. An attestation of your low I. Q? I thought as much

Typical of you APC lapdogs to try to divert attention from a topical issue when you're being overrun by facts.

So long, _masturbator! Focus on the topic!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Bigprozzie: 5:07pm On Jan 07, 2016
PedroJP:

My friend u put things in place first to make things easy 4 ur subjects b4 u make such policies and not to act like an almighty in order to punish ur perceived enemy u can never get at.

At least u start ur no importation from oil sector which will help locals both in availability of petroleum products, favourable cost and energy boost. Then u can talk about restricting importation of on other sectors. No need to tell u more as u are not d dullllard and can't say his intentions though he has non other than wickedness.

Sorry if you are offended, but I cant understand what you have written. It is all over the place and basically incomprehensible

Maybe its because you are probably typing on the go.

20 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bigprozzie:

Ignored

since you comment base on pictures then your sense of reasoning is no different from Aregbe Odourless flour

9 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by todayboy: 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
Ephemmm:
Though not an economist, but you can just put dust into my eyes because I had B2 in economics during my secondary school days tongue tongue tongue

1. Increase in the cost of goods have little effect on middlemen, consumers who are mostly not Ibos would be at the receiving end: how has this affected only Ibos if I may ask?

2. You also said that the dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos because most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. The simple understanding of demand and supply will tell you that the lower the supply, the higher the price: consumer will also be at the receiving end in that the little available imported product will be costlier than before. You need to wake up from your slumber.

3. Destruction of Oshodi market is a good move in my own opinion: its existence does more harm than good. Apart from the fact that the market habours bunch of criminals, its arrangement and design is an eyesour in Lagos metropolis.

However, I prefer to believe that my grandma is a virgin till date than believing that nobody was giving notice. Besides, LASG has both ownership and possession of the market: why the gnashing of teeth?

Consumers, who are mostly non-ibos are king when it comes to business activities: no business activities can survive if they don't exist. That is why it will be more easier for an horse to pass through the needle's eye than for all Ibos to go back to Biafra(availability of market/consumer).

Anything that affect Ibos business will bring about rise in the price of imported product: consumers will bear its resultant effect. A visitor to the house of bereaved has no reason to cry more than the child of the bereaved: stop being tribalistic.

The tyrant president is taking all the development to the north you are writing rubbish. Carrying clearing to Kano where bokoharam dey bomb you still supporting him

Wait until the dictator on Buhari unveil

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Bigprozzie: 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
TheSonOfMark:

[s]Face the topic, sycophant! My pictures are regularly updated on my profile 'cause, unlike you, I have no run in against the law and I have nothing to hide.

Wait...You've seen my pictures? Which means you've been checking my profile regularly and I don't even know you. Hello everyone, I've got a fan.

You couldn't even articulate a retort to counter the points I raised

Typical of you APC lapdogs to the wet to divert attention from the topical issues when you're being overrun by facts.

So long, _masturbator! Focus on the topic![/s]

We are not talking about Dog meat here

Please ignore me and face topic

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Joins Top 10 Most Improved Economies In New World Bank Rankings / Lagos 2019: Agbaje Talks Tough As He Prepares To Battle Sanwo-olu / Electricity: Discos Under Fire As Outages Worsen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.