Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? (7536 Views)

Chicken Bile Fastest Way To Weight Lost Confirmed / Fastest Way To Lose Weight? / Unable To Stop Throwing Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by legry(m): 3:49pm On May 24, 2005
How does one wake up and break this dead addictive bad habit?
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by Allenpowered(m): 4:41pm On May 24, 2005
Health related problem is the fastest way tongue to stop smoking

Going cold turkey requires determination and resolve not to touch another cigarette stick goes a long way to stop smoking immediately...but can smokers do it? grin

Smokers who want to stop can check these websites:

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit/quittip.htm

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/how_to_give_up/
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by Seun(m): 4:55pm On May 24, 2005
Are you or someone you know trying to quit smoking? If so, the following information may help you. These 10 questions and answers are excerpted from the Tobacco Cessation Guideline pages of the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Question: Why should I quit?

Answer: You will live longer and feel better. Quitting will lower your chances of having a heart attack, stroke, or cancer. The people you live with, especially children, will be healthier. If you are pregnant, you will improve your chances of having a healthy baby. And you will have extra money to spend on things other than cigarettes.

Question: What is the first thing I need to do once I’ve decided to quit?

Answer: You should set a quit date-the day when you will break free of your tobacco addiction. Then, consider visiting your doctor or other health care provider before the quit date. She or he can help by providing practical advice and information on the medication that is best for you.

Question: What medication would work best for me?

Answer: Different people do better with different methods:

[list] [li]A non-nicotine pill.[/li]
[li]Nicotine gum.[/li]
[li]A nicotine inhaler.[/li]
[li]A nicotine nasal spray.[/li]
[li]Nicotine patch.[/li][/list]

The gum and patches are available at your local pharmacy, or you can ask your health care provider to write you a prescription for one of the other medications. The good news is that all five medications have been shown to be effective in helping smokers who are motivated to quit.

Question: How will I feel when I quit smoking? Will I gain weight?

Answer: Many smokers gain weight when they quit, but it is usually less than 10 pounds. Eat a healthy diet, stay active, and try not to let weight gain distract you from your main goal—quitting smoking. Some of the medications to help you quit may help delay weight gain.

Question: Some of my friends and family are smokers. What should I do when I’m with them?

Answer: Tell them that you are quitting, and ask them to assist you in this effort. Specifically, ask them not to smoke or leave cigarettes around you.

Question: What kinds of activities can I do when I feel the urge to smoke?

Answer: Talk with someone, go for a walk, drink water, or get busy with a task. Reduce your stress by taking a hot bath, exercising, or reading a book.

Question: How can I change my daily routine, which includes smoking a cigarette with my breakfast?

Answer: When you first try to quit, change your routine. Eat breakfast in a different place, and drink tea instead of coffee. Take a different route to work.

Question: I like to smoke when I have a drink. Do I have to give up both?

Answer: It’s best to avoid drinking alcohol for the first 3 months after quitting because drinking lowers your chances of success at quitting. It helps to drink a lot of water and other nonalcoholic drinks when you are trying to quit.

Question: I’ve tried to quit before and it didn’t work. What can I do?

Answer: Remember that most people have to try to quit at least 2 or 3 times before they are successful. Review your past attempts to quit. Think about what worked—and what didn’t—and try to use your most successful strategies again.

Question: What should I do if I need more help?

Answer: Get individual, group, or telephone counseling. The more counseling you get, the better your chances are of quitting for good. Programs are given at local hospitals and health centers. Call your local health department for information about programs in your area. Also, talk with your doctor or other health care provider.
Source: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco/default.htm

My advice for any Nigerian who wants to quit smoking is this:
"Make sure you see your doctor. He/she will be aware of medical aids available in Nigeria that can make it easier for you to free yourself from the (expensive) smoking habit.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by Allenpowered(m): 10:55am On May 25, 2005
well i guess if u got ur lips burnt by fire one will stop double quick grin grin grin
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by Chigszy(f): 5:10pm On Jun 08, 2005
There is a chewing gum.. Nicotine chewing gum it is supposed to aid smokers that want to quit smoking. this is the web link for more information on the product if you are interested. i did not want to overwhelm readers with too much words. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003552.html
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 08, 2005
Find out why you smoke in the first place, and then quit that. I used to smoke everytime i had a couple of drinks and i went to the club. When i cut back on drinking and clubbing, i found i didn't need it at all.

A friend of mine smokes after every meal and he says it helps relieve stress or pent up tension. So yeah, it goes back to finding the root and doing something about it~
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by Greatpeter(m): 5:14pm On Jun 30, 2005
Seek for medical and spiritual counseling.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by WesleyanA(f): 3:57am On Jul 05, 2005
if you go to church, are morally sound, chances are, you won't develop the habit.
but,.. if you have bad friends et.c chances are you will and will regret it in the long run even if you think you're cool when you smoke.
you don't want to die of lung cancer
you don't want halistosis and emphazema and the rest.
nicotine patches might make you quit smoking but isn't it the nicotine you're trying to avoid in the first place?

2nd hand smoking also sucks. you don't have to smoke to die from it. just avoid smokers and don't inhale that stuff into your nose. it might affect you.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by layi(m): 3:31pm On Aug 17, 2005
Use the substitution formular.
Cure a bad addiction with a good 1.

Why do u smoke in the first place? Find sumtin else that can do such. Sumtin good i mean. Sure there is. That way u'll overcome it.
Additionally get to know the dangers of smoking. Remeber all adiction starts from the brain. Feed ur brain with the dangers and it will come to terms with that reality in a matter of time.

Its not easy though. Old habits Die hard.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 8:14am On Aug 20, 2005
layi is right.

Determination also helps. If you are determined to do it, you can.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 8:16am On Aug 20, 2005
whats the fastest way to stop ? dont start
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 8:18am On Aug 20, 2005
Smart ass. But not true. If you don't start something, there wouldn't be the question as to stop.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 8:19am On Aug 20, 2005
don't start what you can't finish or else you would be called a coward
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by WesleyanA(f): 8:20am On Aug 20, 2005
why do boys hate being called cowards?
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 8:21am On Aug 20, 2005
if you already started NICODERM  is the best quitter
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 8:22am On Aug 20, 2005
it makes one look like a weak limb
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 8:27am On Aug 20, 2005
coward: One who shows ignoble fear in the face of danger or pain.

No guy wants to be known as not being able to face danger or take responsibilities of his actions. Infact no girl wants that either.

1 Like

Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by WesleyanA(f): 8:31am On Aug 20, 2005
i meant to say looser. it's the same thing right?
the boys in my gym class for example play to show off, make fun of the guys who can't play in that sport, and argue.  all they do is compete instead of playing healthy or for fun like the girls do.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 8:34am On Aug 20, 2005
guys freaking hate it when u call them a loser. It's like, "what u just call me...blah blah" and u'll just wake their inner person up. I think nddy is in a better position to tell us why guys hate being called losers!

Girls hate it too...mind u.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 8:49am On Aug 20, 2005
when you call a guy losser , i depends on what you are refering to ? it could be in terms of money, getting gurls or academics name it . when you being called a looser it makes you look like a failure.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2005
No one wants to be a loser. that's the point. Calling you a failure is just...arghh.
1. One that fails to win: the losers of the game.
2. One who takes loss in a specified way: a graceful loser; a poor loser.
1. One that fails consistently, especially a person with bad luck or poor skills:
2. One that is bad in quality: That book is a real loser.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 8:53am On Aug 20, 2005
i am just saying most guys thinkl when you call them a losser, you are callingg them failures. for instance myself
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 8:54am On Aug 20, 2005
And i am just saying..everyone doesn't want to be called a loser. Although, i won't mind, becos i know i ain't a loser.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by WesleyanA(f): 8:58am On Aug 20, 2005
i won't mind either. some people take things way tooo serious.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 8:59am On Aug 20, 2005
Yeah they do.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 9:03am On Aug 20, 2005
i guess its nature
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by WesleyanA(f): 9:05am On Aug 20, 2005
and they are really competetive too. that's unhealthy if you ask me.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by nddy(m): 9:07am On Aug 20, 2005
competition is the soul of life. Everyone wants the best, if cant compete you have no future. our generation is all about competition.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 9:08am On Aug 20, 2005
But when competing do it with a clean mind. Have fun while competing. smiley
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by WesleyanA(f): 9:14am On Aug 20, 2005
yeah. Hot angel got my point. don't get into arguements or fights in the name of being the best.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by hotangel2(f): 9:21am On Aug 20, 2005
Back to the topic.

Fastest way to stop smoking.
Re: Smoking: What's the Fastest Way to Stop? by Greatpeter(m): 9:26am On Aug 20, 2005
Just smoke 2dozens packets of the cigarrette at once and go to sleep you will see it irritates you when you wake up.
You won't feel like smoking again.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Ministry Of Communication, MTN Saved Little Girl With Heart Disease / Ondo Distributes 10,000 Rat Poison As Lassa Fever Spreads / COVID-19: Judge John Tsoho Is On Self-Isolation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.