Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 (1274 Views)

Photos Of The Crocodile Killed In Akwaibom / Crocodile Caught In A Canal In FESTAC, Lagos (pics) / When the Hunter Becomes hunted. Warning. Very Scary( pictures ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 by bada007(m): 11:15am On Jan 08, 2016
(Originally published by the Daily News on Sept. 5, 2006)
The death of famed "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin stunned fans and friends around the world yesterday as they expressed disbelief that a stingray could cause the demise of the wildlife daredevil.
As details emerged of Irwin's last moments off Australia's north coast, sea-life experts were dumbfounded by the likelihood of him being killed by one of the ocean's most docile bottom feeders.
"It's just an absolute fluke," said Lisa-ann Gershwin, Australian national marine stinger adviser.
"It was extraordinarily bad luck,"Shaun Collin, an Australian marine neuroscientist, said of Irwin's death.
About 1,500 people a year are injured by stingrays in the U.S., but none of those encounters has resulted in death, experts said.
In fact, there have only been 17 cases ever reported of human stingray deaths worldwide, experts said. In contrast, dog attacks kill 10 to 20 people a year in the U.S. and snake bites claim another 15 Americans annually.
Irwin's freak accident happened yesterday on a part of Australia's Great Barrier Reef known as the Batt Reef, about 9 miles from shore, where he was filming a segment for an upcoming TV show.
Witnesses said Irwin was snorkeling in shallow water just above a bull stingray, while a cameraman was in front of it. The ray, apparently sensing no route of escape, got spooked and went into a defensive mode, raising its whiplike tail toward Irwin's chest.
The tail's razor-sharp, serrated and poisonous spine, midway up the tail, pierced the left side of the 44-year-old Aussie TV star's heart, sending him into cardiac arrest.
"The cameraman said at the time he didn't know that it even hit him until he saw blood in the water and then he knew there was a problem," said Irwin's manager, John Stainton.
Crew members quickly pulled Irwin aboard his boat, named Croc One, and tried to resuscitate him.
"It became clear fairly soon that he had nonsurvivable injuries," said Dr. Ed O'Loughlin, the first medic on scene.
Irwin is survived by his wife, Terri, who often appeared in his shows, their daughter, Bindi Sue, 8, and son, Bob, 2.
Irwin was initially in the area to film an episode for a series called "The Ocean's Deadliest" with underwater TV legend Jacques Cousteau's grandson, Philippe. Bad weather delayed the shoot, so Irwin decided to be productive and get some footage on Batt Reef for his daughter upcoming TV series, Stainton said.
"He said, 'I might just go off and shoot some segments for Bindi's show, just stuff on the reef and little animals,'" Stainton said. "The next thing I heard on the radio was there was a medical emergency."
The tearful Stainton said Irwin "died doing what he loved best."
Tributes quickly flooded in.
"It's a huge loss to Australia," Australian Prime Minister John Howard said.
John Hendrix - founder of the Discovery Channel, which aired the "Crocodile Hunter" series - called Irwin "a larger-than-life force."
"He brought joy and learning about the natural world to millions and millions of people across the globe," Hendrix said. Irwin appeared in many movies, including "Dr. Dolittle 2" with Eddie Murphy and made scores of TV appearances. Discovery plans a marathon showing of Irwin's programs.
When President Bush visited Australia in 2003, Irwin was among the guests handpicked by Howard to attend a ceremonial barbecue - and he turned up in his trademark khakis.
But Irwin's death also caused a shudder in some of the world's most popular dive sites.
Sharon Ebanks, who gives stingray snorkeling tours in the Grand Cayman Islands, said several customers were reluctant to go in the water yesterday.
"I think there's going to be an impact and that impact is that we're going to have to explain to some people who are concerned about stingrays," Ebanks said.

Re: Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 by Francis35(m): 11:16am On Jan 08, 2016
Ftc
Re: Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 by Mckandre(m): 8:06pm On Jan 08, 2016
OP, this is 2016 and your post says 2006 Haba! ve been under stasis or what? yes, his death was a tragic one and he was surly missed, but thats not the reason to reopen closed wounds. OP abeg find better tory and this time be more current and the guy wey dey talk ftc above me undecided smh
Re: Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 by inception101(m): 3:26am On Jan 09, 2016
SpreadsMat
Re: Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 by laptopsale(m): 11:14am On Jan 09, 2016
Mckandre:
OP, this is 2016 and your post says 2006 Haba! ve been under stasis or what? yes, his death was a tragic one and he was surly missed, but thats not the reason to reopen closed wounds. OP abeg find better tory and this time be more current and the guy wey dey talk ftc above me undecided smh
He prolly mistook the 0 before 6 for 1, LMAO
Re: Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 by bada007(m): 1:53pm On Jan 09, 2016
laptopsale:
He prolly mistook the 0 before 6 for 1, LMAO
nope i didn't jst feel like sharing it since he was an inspiration most guys don't no him i bet
Re: Steve Irwin, Known As The Crocodile Hunter, Dies In 2006 by bada007(m): 1:54pm On Jan 09, 2016
Mckandre:
i no it's 2016 bro,nothing wrong in publish his story again i think

(1) (Reply)

Crossbreeding Local Dog / SOLD SOLD SOLD For Lucky Owners 30k Fast Fast NO TIME OOO / Solid Boerboel Puppies for sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.