Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? (2317 Views)

Tambuwal & Nigerian Senators At EQUATOR In Uganda - PICS / Nigerian Senators In Uganda For Graduation Of 200 Indigenes Of Sokoto - Photos / Faces Of Nigerian Senators During Fashola's Ministerial Screening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by esiayo(m): 7:45pm On Nov 06, 2005
Do you think our senators are concerned about Nigerians that they represent?

Senators are supposed to represent Nigerians at a national forum called a senate, where national issues that bother on the welfare and sustenance of the common man are discussed. In foreign countries, senators are men held in esteem because they give a selfless duty in seeing that their fellow country men get the best from their nation.

In Nigeria, our senators have no mission than in the senate other than to make money. They are disillusioned and more or less perverted.

I have tried to analyse the reasons why this is so and have come to these conclusions: most of them were never really elected by the electorate. They got their senatorial seats by rigging and through the help of 'loan sharks'- the 'god fathers' - therefore they see the senate as a means of recouping an investment.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by elphem(m): 11:00am On Nov 09, 2005
It's a basic truth, Nigerian senators/representative are more concerened about thier pocket to the representation of the majority outside.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by mckaycee(m): 2:06pm On Nov 09, 2005
I have always lamented the lack of leadership we have in Nigeria. There is no so-called leader worthy of emulation.
In that senate of theirs (because it is not ours), they are all there to represent their selfish interests and not the electorate.

Who will blame them, after all they were not duly elected, and they can't say "thank You" to people who did nothing for them. Abeg leave them jare.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by kila(m): 3:25pm On Nov 09, 2005
Nigerian senators are the people who were corrupted and acquired wealth parasitically. They represent their cabals, not common
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by Dayo777(m): 9:18am On Nov 10, 2005
The need for representation is usually the basis for election!, but i guess what we ahve in this country today is nothing but selection!, monitored by an oligarchic cabal. be that as it may, i believe the senators are only concerned about what they have invested into politics which must be regained before the ELECTORATES will be thought of.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by Bibi(m): 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2005
They are not diffgerent from any other elected position. They are all self serving, never caring for their constituency, rather engaging in supremacy battles with Governors. In fact, Senators are at the bottom line of relevance, they have not done anything constitutionally significant for Nigeria since current deremoctratic inception in 1999. If they have done their job with dignity, there will be no need for ICPC, Constitutional conference, 3rd term preseidency cry, money laundering, etc. All these point to failure of the Senate and the parliaments in general.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by otokx(m): 5:19pm On Nov 12, 2005
no they don't.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by Nobody: 1:07am On Nov 25, 2005
yes they do!

they simply pocket all the money and tell us to pray!
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by angelak(f): 10:53am On Dec 05, 2005
I think you know the answer already! grin
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by pendelite(f): 3:29pm On Dec 05, 2005
Is there a Senate? I assumed the President took all the decisions and his houseboys agreed or risked getting fired....... So when you don't agree with the decision, what do you do? Go to court? closed for the day, you visit babalawo or hire an assassin.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by KennyRoger(m): 8:28pm On May 24, 2006
Infact the senator only protect theire interest alone not caring about public interest.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by DaHitler(m): 4:20am On May 25, 2006
Some Senators care. However, there are just too many alliances in the present day National situation that it is not like one Senator can make a difference. On basically any issue, the votes are already pre-determined based on factors that I would not mention for fear of being labeled a trouble maker. cheesy

And while on the topic of Senators, there should be a minimum educational requirement for people to run in elections for the National Assembly. I find it difficult to imagine how a semi-illiterate Senator or Rep, can come up with convicing arguments to sway the minds of fellow members of the National Assembly. Not to mention I bury my head in shame when some of our law makers open their mouth in front of National television. Maybe they should be given a comprehensive Writing and Reading test before they are allowed to get on the ballot.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by ababoy1(m): 6:45am On May 25, 2006
Do Nigerians care about those that represent them?
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by Seun(m): 6:49am On May 25, 2006
Nigerian voters don't actually know that senators are supposed to be their representatives. It's sad! cheesy
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by DaHitler(m): 7:31am On May 25, 2006
Thats an excellent point. The government might want to look into funding a public education program to inform the population what each of branch of Government is there for. Honestly, a Federal Democracy is fairly complicated, especially when you consider that the only long-lasting governing system that most Nigerians have ever known have been Military Dictatorship. Hence, the reason that a lot of people are convinced Obj is "chopping" their money, instead of directing their anger at Governors, LG Chairmen and their Reps in the National Assembly.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by stanech: 8:56am On May 25, 2006
Well I think the most corrupt level of Nigerian govrnment are the legislature. They always puch motion with Ghana must Go bags. without which the bill will be kicked out they would not pass any bill till they have been convinced with a ghana must go bag each. I am stold somebody that the reason OBJ lost his third term tenure in the senate was because the money given to those who wants it kicked out was bigger and all other personal motives. Cos they cant tell me they have suddenly become saints and don want to collect bribes. All they do is pass bills that will better their lives forgetting the electorates.
Thats why I still see this as the reason OBJ sould continue cos these up-coming presidential aspirants will endup only trying to recover thier campaign money till the end of thier tenure.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by Ashiwaju(m): 1:17pm On May 25, 2006
If i cant talk for all the senators and reps, atleast i can talk about Afikuyomi,Mamora and Abike dabiri and i can tell you, to these people, they care so much about who they represent and they would stop at nothing to acheive it. No doubt they have their GF too but men, career matters to these people than anything abi would you all say Gali Naaba too does not give a heck? would you say Nnammani does not care? please lets be frank, list out the bad ones and dont generalise them bcus i know some of them still got a heart of their own and if i have to start naming those that would do anything for money, then my first pick would be Mantu,second pick would be Amosu and that Ifeanyi guy from Imo state. we know the good ones and the bad ones and they know themselves
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by ababoy1(m): 3:03pm On May 25, 2006
Nigerian voters don't actually know that senators are supposed to be their representatives. It's sad!

Good point Seun, and it is one of the MANY problems. Your forum could serve to educate those that either dont know or dont care.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by Rottweiler(m): 4:02pm On May 25, 2006
They equate law-making to money-making. So constituency is bullshit to them. Most of them spend the whole tenure in Abuja without visiting their constituencies. They only do when they have to go stash some money away in their mansions or when they want to inspect their private projects under construction.

I don't think we have seen anything yet. As a Nigerian, I lost hope a long time ago.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by losky(m): 5:04pm On May 25, 2006
pls rottweiler,dont loose hope.
Im really glad to see that some Nigerians believe there are some of these legislators who have the interest of the people they represent at heart.Indeed Nigerians know them.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by md4real(m): 10:27am On May 26, 2006
The true fact is that Nigrian senators dont regard their people at all. from exprience, i guys you guy remember the slapping senator{male} in the senate, he represent my people and still has the gut to call them chickens that love to eat grains.
Re: Do Nigerian Senators Care About Those They Represent? by angel101(f): 2:29pm On May 24, 2007
Do the clowns themselves even know why they are there?

(1) (Reply)

Abuja, Nigeria's Biggest Cocaine Hot-spot - 238 Arrested, 103 Convicted In 2009 / Primate Ayodele And His Predictions For Nigeria / At Last: Yar'adua's Mother, Hajia Dada, Sets Eyes On Her Terminally Sick Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.