Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,134 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Why Gender Equality Has Not Been Achieved. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Gender Equality Has Not Been Achieved. (644 Views)

Why Gender Equality? See Reasons. / Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill / 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Gender Equality Has Not Been Achieved. by Haryor3(m): 10:57am On Jan 10, 2016
Feminism is not a new word or movement, but it sure has been used a lot more lately, with everybody from men to women crazing over gender equality. Firstly, I don’t classify myself a feminist neither do I downplay the importance of women in the society, I believe that importance –which is the main drive behind feminism- cannot be forced on people. It’s earned. Albeit we cannot trace the source of the erroneous belief that men are superior to women, many believe religion plays a very important role in it as most texts - the bible, the Koran, and other holy books - directly or indirectly downplay the role of the female gender. No wonder some religious zealots have taken advantage of this. These beliefs have been passed from generation to generation, and men are not the only firm believers. Women who expect men to approach them first even when they are interested are equally guilty. You have indirectly passed the role of Alpha (leader) to the man. It’s not your fault though, you fear the society will label you loose, call you a hoe, and the man will not respect you if you make the first move. Too bad, you are the society and you are not just afraid, you are acting based on the aforementioned belief. Approaching people (especially the opposite sex) isn't a task designated based on hormones, it’s more of a psychological thing, so a man can just be as shy as a woman, doesn't make him less of a man.. Another reason equality has not been achieved, especially in Africa are the women that depend on men financially, they believe the man has to take charge of all their expenses and won’t go Dutch on dates. I recently cut a female off for expecting too much from me, money for hair, lunch, dinner, a new phone and what have you, knowing fully well that I am a student. Men too have conformed to these “norms”, therefore cannot go on dates if they cannot afford to pay for the woman, because if they do not, chances are that they will be labelled broke and also lose the woman. Where is the equality in this? You make as much as I do, but I have to spend mine on you to get your love? And you get to keep yours? Then I am the boss in this, because I have indirectly bought your allegiance and love. We live in a society where a woman who went shopping with her boyfriend and paid for her own stuff was seen as Rude by other women, this explains how it has become a cultural thing. May I also explain how the Ministry of Women affairs in Nigeria is doing more harm than good? A ministry aimed at fighting for the right of women and improving the well-being of women in the society has indirectly labelled women Vulnerable, although we may argue that this ministry is fixing prejudices that have been set over the years, it’s still wrong. We have no Ministry of Men affairs to improve the standard of living of men in the society, or do we assume that all men are well and not vulnerable? The worst part is that most states have these ministries tagged alongside poverty alleviation. This explains what the government and the society think women are synonymous to. Till women decide to be independent as a means of showing equality rather than the needless noise, gender equality will still be an issue.

cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba In Pakistan To Celebrate Lagos At 50! / How We Are Battling Recession In Ile - Ife- Ooni Ogunwusi (pictures) / My Ghanaian Friend Said African Nations Are Made By God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.