Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:37 PM

Malawian Pastor Defends Buying A Third Private Jet - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malawian Pastor Defends Buying A Third Private Jet (610 Views)

Malawian Minister Sits On The Floor While Addressing President Peter Mutharika / Eric Avina, HIV+ Malawian Who Is Paid Money For Unprotected Sex With Girls / Turkey Shoots Down Russian Jet Near Syrian Border (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Malawian Pastor Defends Buying A Third Private Jet by barwaaqo: 6:56pm On Jan 10, 2016
Malawian pastor defends buying a third private jet by saying, “I am what God says.. I was born a winner”

God’s blessings came in the form of private jets for Malawian pastor Shepherd Bushiri.

In a Jan. 6 ceremony celebrating his purchase of a Gulf Stream III, Bushiri claimed, “I am what God says I am. I was born a winner. This goes to people who understand my vision. This is not for me but to those who believe in better things,” according to local media. Bushiri posted photos of his acquisition, which sells for about $37 million, on Facebook with the caption: [size=18pt]“My third jet in two years.”[/size]

Bushiri, better known among his followers as “Major 1” or “Papa,” is believed to be one of the wealthiest pastors in Africa and one the richest men in Malawi, where he was born and raised. He founded the Enlightened Christian Gathering (EGC), whose aim is to “bring awareness about God’s existence and voice in this day and age,” according to church’s website. The pastor says he is a prophet of God.

Critics say that Bushiri lures followers with promises of money and success, if only they believe. Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world, with over half of the population living under the poverty line. In response to Bushiri’s Facebook post, one user named Friday Mulenga wrote, “How many street kids? How many blind beggars on the street? Not even an orphanage has been built. But someone has bought a jet, expensive cars, expensive clothes.”

Bushiri’s followers responded in his defense. “You can’t be poor when you know God and have powers to communicate direct with him,” one wrote. “I will own a private jet one day in Jesus name to help international visitors coming abroad to ECG church,” another said.Bushiri himself responded in the comments: “Mr Friday Mulenga you can also sell your phone and give the money to the poor.”
Re: Malawian Pastor Defends Buying A Third Private Jet by barwaaqo: 6:57pm On Jan 10, 2016
Re: Malawian Pastor Defends Buying A Third Private Jet by kodyx(f): 8:20pm On Jan 10, 2016
Gullible followers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

President Robert Mugabe's Hilarious Deep Truth About Racism. / How The Gullah Gee Chee Ended Chattel Slavery Not The U.S Army. / “I Am Ready To Pass The Baton” Says Barack Obama As He Campaigns With Hillary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.