Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,460 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Fortran - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Fortran (1738 Views)

How To Compile FORTRAN Program On Android / Where Can I Download Free Fortran Compiler / What Can I Do With Fortran Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fortran by hecha38(m): 1:11pm On Jan 11, 2016
Please i need any available help on Fortran. The basics and some other stuff. I just left my Fortran lectures now nd i understood absolutely nothing. Thanks programlanders. Waitin for reply...
Re: Fortran by john124(m): 2:04pm On Jan 11, 2016
Which fortran version?
Re: Fortran by trytillmake(m): 3:41pm On Jan 11, 2016
john124:
Which fortran version?

fortran 77 most likely, naija lectures na recycled materials them dey use no time to bother themselves, op expantiate wat u do not understand i might send u an ebook.
Re: Fortran by Fulaman198(m): 7:23pm On Jan 11, 2016
Fortran? Loll I don't think anyone uses it anymore. It's as dead as Pascal.
Re: Fortran by AAinEqGuinea: 8:20pm On Jan 11, 2016
Fulaman198:

Sadly Pascal still exists in many workshops I've been in angry

1 Like

Re: Fortran by Ymodulus: 8:24pm On Jan 11, 2016
Fulaman198:
Thats not true.
While i might agree that [b]Fortran is a pathetic language, as its has no advantage over today's C and C++ in terms of Run-time efficiency, i will still not term it a dead Language yet. I might say its 70% Dead but not 100%.

Fortran is still widely used for numerical computing, particularly by scientists and engineers in physics, meteorology and other number-intensive fields. For performance in numerical computing, Fortran is still the "gold standard" and supercomputer hardware designers still pay close attention to Fortran when they design optimizations.

There is a huge quantity of mature, reliable and finely-tuned routines for numerical analysis that are written in Fortran and still in active use.

FORTRAN is still used today for some important functions such as

1. Climate modeling. Example is well know NCAR MM5
2. Signal processing communit
3. Fortran is not dead. Many of the quantum chemistry and molecular dynamics code out there is in Fortran 77 and in active development.
4. NASA till today employs FORTRAN DEVELOPERS.
5. Many of the codes being run on supercomputers and the National Labs are in Fortran.

Trouble is that today when people think of computers they only know the business applications side of things. Fortran is not good for business applications, like databases and on-line commerce. But it is and has been for more than 40 years the primary language for doing complex numerical computation. It is certainly not dead.

1 Like

Re: Fortran by Booyakasha(f): 9:31pm On Jan 11, 2016
Ymodulus:

Thats not true.
While i might agree that [b]Fortran is a pathetic language, as its has no advantage over today's C and C++ in terms of Run-time efficiency, i will still not term it a dead Language yet. I might say its 70% Dead but not 100%.

Fortran is still widely used for numerical computing, particularly by scientists and engineers in physics, meteorology and other number-intensive fields. For performance in numerical computing, Fortran is still the "gold standard" and supercomputer hardware designers still pay close attention to Fortran when they design optimizations.

There is a huge quantity of mature, reliable and finely-tuned routines for numerical analysis that are written in Fortran and still in active use.

3. Fortran is not dead. Many of the quantum chemistry and molecular dynamics code out there is in Fortran 77 and in active development.
5. Many of the codes being run on supercomputers and the National Labs are in Fortran.

Trouble is that today when people think of computers they only know the business applications side of things. Fortran is not good for business applications, like databases and on-line commerce. But it is and has been for more than 40 years the primary language for doing complex numerical computation. It is certainly not dead.
Cc:
https://www.quora.com/Is-Fortran-really-dead-If-not-who-uses-it-and-what-versions

Use your real opinion next time wink
Re: Fortran by Fulaman198(m): 12:03am On Jan 12, 2016
Ymodulus:

Thats not true.

Good stuff, didn't know that. Never studied Fortran in Uni, though my parents generation did ROFLLLL
Re: Fortran by Fulaman198(m): 12:04am On Jan 12, 2016
AAinEqGuinea:

Sadly Pascal still exists in many workshops I've been in angry

Welcome back my friend smiley where have you been cheesy?

ROFLLLLL @Pascal still existing in many workshops that you have been in.
Re: Fortran by Fulaman198(m): 12:05am On Jan 12, 2016
Booyakasha:

Cc:
https://www.quora.com/Is-Fortran-really-dead-If-not-who-uses-it-and-what-versions

Use your real opinion next time wink

ROFL so he copied and pasted grin he's still right I guess even though he Googled it.
Re: Fortran by AAinEqGuinea: 9:24am On Jan 12, 2016
Fulaman198:

Welcome back my friend smiley where have you been cheesy?

ROFLLLLL @Pascal still existing in many workshops that you have been in.

Been busy learning new things. A current component of a project requires in-depth networking implementation so thats where I am at.

I was also fortunate enough to cash in on a few lawsuits so I am expanding my own business, moving operations into a small business office this week and next week.

I was glad when the Pascal days were over wink

1 Like

Re: Fortran by Funjosh(m): 11:02am On Jan 12, 2016
Fulaman198:

Good stuff, didn't know that. Never studied Fortran in Uni, though my parents generation did ROFLLLL

Ho! shocked Both Fortran 77 and Fortran 90

1 Like

Re: Fortran by Fulaman198(m): 11:26pm On Jan 12, 2016
Funjosh:

Ho! shocked Both Fortran 77 and Fortran 90

Yah my bro, never studied them.
Re: Fortran by Dekatron(m): 10:23pm On Jan 13, 2016
EEE. 200L

we are doing FORTRAN 2003. Still did the practical today self. Stopped at user defined functions, SUBROUTINE

Because I have knowledge of program long before FORTRAN, find it quite easy but not so easy. . . . @fulaman198, he didn't copy & paste. Just looked like an opinion another person can say and look alike like a different person's own on the net. I visited the link cos I know Ymodulus.

He is right. FORTRAN is/WAS MAINLY FOR SUPERCOMPUTERS and CALCULATIONS and NUMERICAL COMPUTATIONS. . . . ONLY SUPERCOMPUTERS enjoy FORTRAN. Why? I haven't bothered to ask.

But really, FORTRAN is Boring!! capital B!!
Re: Fortran by Fulaman198(m): 6:47am On Jan 14, 2016
Dekatron:
EEE. 200L

we are doing FORTRAN 2003. Still did the practical today self. Stopped at user defined functions, SUBROUTINE

Because I have knowledge of program long before FORTRAN, find it quite easy but not so easy. . . . @fulaman198, he didn't copy & paste. Just looked like an opinion another person can say and look alike like a different person's own on the net. I visited the link cos I know Ymodulus.

He is right. FORTRAN is/WAS MAINLY FOR SUPERCOMPUTERS and CALCULATIONS and NUMERICAL COMPUTATIONS. . . . ONLY SUPERCOMPUTERS enjoy FORTRAN. Why? I haven't bothered to ask.

But really, FORTRAN is Boring!! capital B!!

I read the sister's link, and it looked like a copy&paste...Please correct me if I'm wrong.

(1) (Reply)

Python Masters, Kindly Help Me Rectify This Python Problem. / Java Gurus Please I Need This Little Assignment Solved ''appreciation Involved" / •how To Add Music To Instagram Stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.