Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? (531 Views)

Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed / What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? / What Does Weeping In Prayer Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jan 11, 2016
"... and lead us not into temptation..." Does it imply that we can be tempted by GOD himself.
Re: What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? by Scholar8200(m): 5:11pm On Jan 11, 2016
mind44thegoat:
"... and lead us not into temptation..."
Does it imply that we can be tempted by GOD himself.
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; James 1:13

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Matthew 4:1

That place you quoted underscores the fact that no natural man will ask God to try him like He did Job but sometimes, these tests are necessary.
Re: What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 11, 2016
Scholar8200:
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; James 1:13

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Matthew 4:1

That place you quoted underscores the fact that no natural man will ask God to try him like He did Job but sometimes, these tests are necessary.
So tests and temptation are different?
Re: What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? by Scholar8200(m): 5:21pm On Jan 11, 2016
mind44thegoat:

So tests and temptation are different?
A test may include permitting the devil to do certain things and/or tempt. Job suffered losses and was tempted by the devil through his wife. We all know the devil was behind both and that the devil could only act because God permitted him. That is why you will notice the alternative use of both words in James1:12
Blessed is the man who endures temptation, for when he has been tested, he will receive a crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
Re: What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 11, 2016
Scholar8200:
A test may include permitting the devil to do certain things and/or tempt. Job suffered losses and was tempted by the devil through his wife. We all know the devil was behind both and that the devil could only act because God permitted him. That is why you will notice the alternative use of both words on James
From the above, can't I safely deduce that it was God trying him?
I don't have a cool phone here, so I won't quote any scriptural reference. But the old testament stated that "David was tempted by God" to...
Re: What Does This Part Of The Lord's Prayer Mean? by Scholar8200(m): 5:33pm On Jan 11, 2016
mind44thegoat:

From the above, can't I safely deduce that it was God trying him?
I don't have a cool phone here, so I won't quote any scriptural reference. But the old testament stated that "David was tempted by God" to...

Yes God tries our faith and HE has all things at His disposal for that purpose. Just like He tried Abraham's faith.

Let's try this perspective, who suffers us to be tempted and who does the actual tempting according to 1 Corinth 10:13?

(1) (Reply)

INTRESTING! Why Did Jesus Fold The Linen Burial Cloth After His Resurrection? / What Did Jesus Mean When He Described His Followers As The Salt Of The Earth? / The Power Of Togetherness: Christians & Muslims Work Together Against Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.