Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,166 members, 7,780,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed (771 Views)

CBN Suspends 19 Banks From Forex Sale To BDCs / CBN To Banks: Sell Forex To BDCs - Nairametrics / CBN Stops Sales Of Forex To Bureax-De-Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by Truth234(m): 10:07pm On Jan 11, 2016
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has formally announced that it would no longer sell dollars to Bureau de Change (BDC) operators.

Since over 70 percent drop in the price of crude oil, which contributes the largest share of national Foreign Exchange Reserves, the country foreign earnings has dropped from US$3.2 billion to US $1 billion, which made it hard to meet the increasing demands for foreign exchange by domestic importers.

According to the apex bank, in 2005 when oil prices was US$50 a barrel, average import bill was N148.3 billion per month but in 2015 average import bill for the first nine months of 2015 alone was N917.6 billion per month, even at lower oil prices of US$32.60 as at today.

This has depleted foreign exchange reserves which stood at about US$37.3 billion as of June 2014, but currently around US$28.0 billion.

In order to avoid further depletion in the reserves, the Central Bank of Nigeria has decided to provide forex services for payments of school fees, BTA, PTA, and related expenses. Importation of petroleum products and matured letters of credit from commercial banks will be honoured.

Despite difficulties the bank is facing, some Bureau de Change (BDC) operators across the country are said to have become wholesale dealers in foreign exchange, selling to the tune of millions of dollars per transaction instead of the original directive to only serve retail-end users who need US$5,000 or less.

Thereafter, using fake documentations like BVNs, boarding passes, flight tickets and passport to render weekly returns to the CBN. These operators sell to ordinary Nigerians as high as N282 per dollar while CBN sells dollar at 197.

In spite of the financial burden being placed on the bank’s limited foreign exchange, the bank has decided to stop selling foreign exchange to bureau de changes operators. However, they can source for their foreign exchange from autonomous sources but should conform to the anti-money laundering laws.

People with ordinary domiciliary accounts can now deposit foreign currency cash into their accounts with effect from today, the report said.

http://investorsking.com/cbn-stops-forex-sale-to-bdcs-cash-deposit-allowed/
Re: CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by doyin68: 10:13pm On Jan 11, 2016
OK o
Re: CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by Trailblazer1(m): 10:16pm On Jan 11, 2016
undecided
Re: CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by agabaI23(m): 10:16pm On Jan 11, 2016
Makes sense to me though I am not an economist.

I am sure the BDCs sell the forex at market determined rates. It is all about demand and supply.
Re: CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by mackenzie007(m): 10:21pm On Jan 11, 2016
I am skling abroad naira is really dealing with us here!!!! embarassed
Re: CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by Truth234(m): 10:25pm On Jan 11, 2016
agabaI23:
Makes sense to me though I am not an economist.

I am sure the BDCs sell the forex at market determined rates. It is all about demand and supply.

Make a lot of sense, BDCs are the speculators driving parallel market price. They should go and source for their forex and not use personal gain kill our foreign reserves
Re: CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by moneybag100: 10:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
Does that increase the arm withdraw limit abroad?
Re: CBN Stops Forex Sale To BDCs, Foreign Currency Cash Deposit Allowed by puskin: 10:41pm On Jan 11, 2016

(1)

Ways To By-cut N50 Stamp Charges. / Cashew Nut Available In Large Quantity / Does The Dollar Note Ever Gets Torn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.