Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing (47836 Views)

9 Lies Parents Tell Their Kids / Single Sistas: 7 Lies You Must Stop Telling Yourselves In 2016. / Seeing Is Believing! Take A Look At This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by kelvz(m): 7:26am On Jan 14, 2016
haa
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by calebrita(m): 7:27am On Jan 14, 2016
It's a very good piece.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by samintegrity(m): 7:27am On Jan 14, 2016
shocked
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by hefelove(m): 7:29am On Jan 14, 2016
When i saw dis d first tin dat came to ma mind was AM A VIRGIN
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by goldenhero(m): 7:29am On Jan 14, 2016
Every lies from i will mk $1 equal to #1, to petrol will be sold @ #40 Per liter was a hit
bk to bk.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by free37: 7:32am On Jan 14, 2016
Good advice.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by anzaku47(m): 7:36am On Jan 14, 2016
We are the leaders of tomorrow ##I don't just believe that.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by ifeanyi83(m): 7:36am On Jan 14, 2016
One political party is the solution to Nigeria's problems...
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by repogirl(f): 7:36am On Jan 14, 2016
Another lie you should stop believing is that there is no office of the first lady.

There is a full fledged office, with its own perm sec.

Booooooooohari #lyingliars #fakemanofintegrity angry
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by Etizz: 7:37am On Jan 14, 2016
Very correct...
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by KunleBoye: 7:38am On Jan 14, 2016
Nice write-up OP, please keep it up.

However, I noticed an ugly trend on this thread, poor responses and few insane contributions.

Can't believe this generation is motivated by fantasies and unrealistic tendencies.

If this thread had been about a babymama, Side chicks, Chelsea or Davido it would have been in its 4th page.

Pathetic

1 Like

Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by Skmoda360(m): 7:40am On Jan 14, 2016
K9blunt:
That some witches at my village are responsible for my predicament, when I turned atheist I realised me and me alone is responsible for my predicament.
are you freaking kidding me...that's indifferent..
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by cardoctor(m): 7:42am On Jan 14, 2016
Have faith bro
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by UrbanMystique: 7:43am On Jan 14, 2016
That there is imaginary sky daddy that determines success or failure hence the need less actions but more favors.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by fF01(m): 7:44am On Jan 14, 2016
KunleBoye:

However, I noticed an ugly trend on this thread, poor responses and few insane contributions.

Can't believe this generation is motivated by fantasies and unrealistic tendencies.

If this thread had been about a babymama, Side chicks, Chelsea or Davido it would have been in its 4th page.

Pathetic
True that.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by lordizak(m): 7:52am On Jan 14, 2016
eleojo23:
It's been a while since I created a topic on this platform. I wish to share this with you as a way of starting the new year.

The worst lies are the ones you tell yourself over and over again – the ones you live by. Perhaps someone close to you ingrained these lies in your mind, perhaps you were influenced by the negativity of popular media channels, or perhaps they grew from simple, innocent misunderstandings.
Either way, if you plan to learn something new for the sake of self-improvement this new year, start by unlearning a lie that has been deceiving you. Here are nine lies I have determined to unlearn in my own life:

1. Success looks a certain way.
You are not in this world to live up to everyone else’s expectations, nor should you feel that everyone else is here to live up to yours. You’ve got to pave your own distinct path. What success means to each of us is different. It’s about spending your life happily in your own way.
You have your own personal calling that’s as unique as your fingerprints.
The best way to succeed is to discover this calling within you and then find away to offer it to the world in the form of a beneficial service. Ultimately, if you can wake up every morning and do something that makes a positive difference, makes you proud, and makes you smile, before you get back to bed, you are a true success.

2. Happiness is about getting what you want.
There are two ways people try to find happiness. One is to continue to accumulate more and more of what they think they want. The other is to appreciate what they already have. The latter is the right path. Happiness isn’t about getting what you want; it’s about wanting what you’ve got. Happiness is not a goal, it’s a by-product of living well in each moment.
To be happy doesn’t mean you don’t desire more, it simply means you’re thankful for what you have and patient for what’s yet to come. Sometimes it’s easy to get so caught up in trying to accomplish something big, that you fail to notice the little things that give life its magic. So appreciate today for all it’s worth. Today is one of the good old days you’re going to miss in the years ahead.

3. A busy day is a productive day.
“Work smarter, not harder” is one of the most common clichés in the personal development space. But like most clichés, few people actually do it. Go ahead and take a look around; the busy people outnumber the productive people by a wide margin. Perhaps you’re one of them.
Busyness seems impressive. It puts you in the heat of the action. It gives you an elevated sense of accomplishment. You’re always late for social engagements, barely have enough time for family get-togethers, and hardly get a moment to yourself.
Emails and texts are shooting out of your smartphone like machinegun bullets, commitments and meetings fill up your entire calendar, and sleep is an afterthought. You’re like a rock star without a record.
Of course, it’s all just an illusion. A commitment to anything more than the essential is to work harder, not smarter. So flip it around and work smarter by putting first things first.

4. To be brave is to not be afraid.
Truth be told, the only time you can be brave is when you are afraid. Being brave is when you do something, regardless of your fears, because you know it’s the right thing to do. In other words, you are afraid to do it because there are unknowns, but then you go ahead and do it anyway.
Whatever course you decide upon in life, there is always the possibility that something will go wrong. There will always be difficulties arising that tempt you to fear that you don’t have what it takes. To map out any course of action and follow it to an end requires bravery.

5. To be strong is to not feel pain.
Life is often painful. It requires a worthy struggle for growth and experience. Anyone who says differently is selling a lie.
The strongest people are the ones who feel pain, accept it, learn from it, and fight through it. They turn their wounds into wisdom. It’s all about having the courage to take a break, to shed a tear, to dust yourself off, and then to get back in the ring to fight like you’ve never fought before.

6. Everyone around you is holding you back.
Many of us don’t genuinely want to be responsible for our own fate. Perhaps we daydream about “fulfilling our dreams,” but we leave those dreams firmly in the realm of fantasy. We don’t research them, talk to people about them, read related books, etc. Somehow we prefer the fantasy to the reality. And there’s nothing wrong with that, until we say that someone else is “holding us back”. That turns an idle fantasy into a barricade of lies.
The truth is, if you’re not working on something meaningful today, the only person holding you back is YOU. If you aren’t doing anything about your goals and dreams, you have no one to blame except yourself. Either you take responsibility for your life or someone else will. Blame is a scapegoat – it’s an easy way out of taking accountability for your own outcome. It’s a lot easier to point the finger at someone or something else instead of looking within.
When it comes to working hard to achieve a goal or dream – earning a degree, building a business, or any other personal achievement that takes time and commitment – one thing you have to ask yourself is: “Am I willing to live a few years of my life like many people won’t, so I can spend the rest of my life like many people can’t?”

7. You are automatically entitled to certain things from others.
People are sometimes led to have a sense of entitlement because they falsely believe they are owed something based on the social role they have chosen. For example, if someone has accepted the role of being someone’s friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife, they feel entitled to get certain favors from the other person. If someone has accepted the role of being a parent, they feel entitled to being respected by their children. If someone has accepted the role of being a consumer, they feel entitled to be served to their specific wishes. Of course, these expectations of entitlement often go unfulfilled. Why? Because nothing in this world is guaranteed.
Regardless of your chosen role in all your relationships and walks of life, you don’t automatically get any more than you openly communicate, negotiate, and work for.

8. You will feel comfortable when the time is right.
So many of us complain about the boring repetition present in our daily routines, yet we choose no clear course for correction. We want to change something, but we never think the time is right. Why? Because the very source of our boredom also provides a solid foundation of comfort. We are comfortable with our current surroundings. Steering off the known track is risky, and we are subconsciously scared of what might happen if we do.
So, what happens when we stick to the current track? Nothing. We jog along the same circular track at a steady pace daily. We pass by the same mile marker at the exact moment we did yesterday, and the day before, and the week before that. There is not a worry on our minds because we already know the terrain that lies ahead.
If something makes you a bit nervous and uncomfortable, it means you’re doing it right and growing. All great opportunities in life will force you to grow emotionally and intellectually.
They force you to stretch yourself and your comfort zone, which means you won’t feel totally comfortable at first.
And when you don’t feel comfortable, you will likely assume the timing isn’t right, even though it is.

9. It’s already too late.
If you’re reading this right now, congratulations, you are alive, which means it’s not too late for you. Things can change if you want them to. Right now you can choose differently and make something new happen.

Getting rid of these lies from your mind will not happen automatically. It will take some time and practice. I have started erasing these lies from my mind and you too should do the same. The earlier you start the better.

I hope you found this helpful.

Happy New Year To You! smiley

Credits to http://www.marcandangel.com/2013/05/30/9-lies-to-unlearn-before-its-too-late for the excerpts used in this post.
Your number 1 and your number 2 contradicts itself, You said success shouldn't look a certain way; yet u r stipulating for others, the right path of happiness.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by ifeomaekol(f): 7:53am On Jan 14, 2016
That time heals all wounds.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by soos: 7:55am On Jan 14, 2016
cheesy grin the man fall from the igi ewedu and die
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by eleojo23: 7:56am On Jan 14, 2016
KunleBoye:

Pathetic

Thanks bro. smiley
I am not surprised at the responses. I got used to it a long time ago after posting some serious topics only for me to get funny and unserious comments.
One thing I know is that there are people who will find this post helpful and it is for such persons that this thread is meant.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by kevoh(m): 8:02am On Jan 14, 2016
It is so refreshing to see a list thread that an OP will sit down and compose something mature for people to read make front page. Not all these silly 10 reasons why girls are golddiggers kind of thread they usually churn out from romance section and put on front page. Meaning there's still hope!

1 Like

Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by samross(m): 8:07am On Jan 14, 2016
The number is so on point people make money from there hobby doing what you know how to do best.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by Toks2008(m): 8:09am On Jan 14, 2016
eleojo23:

3. A busy day is a productive day.
“Work smarter, not harder” is one of the most common clichés in the personal development space. But like most clichés, few people actually do it. Go ahead and take a look around; the busy people outnumber the productive people by a wide margin. Perhaps you’re one of them.
Busyness seems impressive. It puts you in the heat of the action. It gives you an elevated sense of accomplishment. You’re always late for social engagements, barely have enough time for family get-togethers, and hardly get a moment to yourself.
Emails and texts are shooting out of your smartphone like machinegun bullets, commitments and meetings fill up your entire calendar, and sleep is an afterthought. You’re like a rock star without a record.
Of course, it’s all just an illusion. A commitment to anything more than the essential is to work harder, not smarter. So flip it around and work smarter by putting first things first.
This is the one that baffles me most.

Especially here on nairaland i usually read myopic and dumb comments from shallow minded people where they tell posters to get busy or they even call them jobless because they make posts at certain hours of the day.

THE BUSY FOR NOTHING PEOPLE EVERYWHERE

Today people are getting richer by being smart and having all the time for themselves while those with slavish mentality still believe that until you do a 9 to 5 job and get busy all through the active hours of the day then you are definitely jobless... a very silly and dumb mentality.

Some peopl get so busy all day for a 20k per month job while some people make at least 1m monthly while they still have all the time for themselves.

MAY GOD DELIVER US FROM THE BUSY FOR NOTHING MENTALITY.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by nini007(m): 8:10am On Jan 14, 2016
Totful
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by Dyt(f): 8:16am On Jan 14, 2016
I don't read epistles but u read this
Wonderful piece for me
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by eleojo23: 8:19am On Jan 14, 2016
Toks2008:

This is the one that baffles me most.

Especially here on nairaland i usually read myopic and dumb comments from shallow minded people where they tell posters to get busy or they even call them jobless because they make posts at certain hours of the day.

THE BUSY FOR NOTHING PEOPLE EVERYWHERE

Today people are getting richer by being smart and having all the time for themselves while those with slavish mentality still believe that until you do a 9 to 5 job and get busy all through the active hours of the day then you are definitely jobless... a very silly and dumb mentality.

Some peopl get so busy all day for a 20k per month job while some people make at least 1m monthly while they still have all the time for themselves.

MAY GOD DELIVER US FROM THE BUSY FOR NOTHING MENTALITY.
You are right.
Many people believe in exerting a lot of energy because it gives them a sense of accomplishment but in the real sense they have achieved nothing tangible.
I join in your prayer: May God deliver us from this 'useless work' mentality.
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by ademega(m): 8:21am On Jan 14, 2016
good one
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by 400billionman: 8:25am On Jan 14, 2016
Long story.

This early morning.

Sir, are you Chinua Achebe ?
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by tgmservice: 8:26am On Jan 14, 2016
K9blunt:
That some witches at my village are responsible for my predicament, when I turned atheist I realised me and me alone is responsible for my predicament.
witches ke, u look like a possessed obanje I ur DP
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by yinkuscious(m): 8:36am On Jan 14, 2016
K9blunt:
it is until u turned an atheist that u know u're responsible for ur situations ? And some atheist frnd of yours also like this ur post ? U guys need serious help!!
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by yinkuscious(m): 8:42am On Jan 14, 2016
eleojo23:

Lets assume that it is true that some witch in the village is responsible for your predicament.
If you are a christian, you have the power to either allow the witch to continue tormenting you or to put an end to her grip on you. Why? Because He that is in you is greater than he that is in the witch and at the mention of His name, every yoke is broken.
So it all boils down to you. You can choose to free yourself from the evil influence by using the authority you have in Christ or you can choose to remain under the oppression of the evil one.
preach brother, preach! Let them know. There is God and the devil is real!
Re: 9 Lies You Need To Stop Believing by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:43am On Jan 14, 2016
Op...your number 4 just motivated me this morning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

So My Woman Has Been Cheating Me!! / Baby Girl Born With Werewolf Syndrome In India / Names You Would Like To Call Your Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.