Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,862 members, 7,806,437 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School (18689 Views)

OAU: Students Prepare For Rain Semester Examinations In Total Darkness / University Students, Start Earning Income / Students! !!! Start Out With Knowledge And Wisdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by frankwyte: 2:16pm On Jan 13, 2016
Hmm, this things are not strange to the students; in fact they are more aware now than ever before.
However, they will need tips on how to still make a living out of these mountainous challenges steering us in the face after school.

Here are my few tips:
1) Always know that the earth is the Lord and the fullness thereof, so get connected with God and not man because man has always fail.
2) Start learning skills to the education whilst in school e.g Software development, Fashion designs, building, computer hardware repair
buying and sailing business, going into farming (fish rearing, Pineapples etc)
3) Take your studies very seriously and try to avoid buying scores and depend solely on God in this apart... This is key because it shows you
solely depend on him and when the future beckons God will show up. He is not a cheat
4) Respect everybody that comes your way and try not to discriminate and forbid pride.

It worked for me and would have been better if i've this advise that am giving today...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by ihedioramma: 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2016
OP well done . this what your teachers,father or mother may not teach but want you to go school thats all .
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by psalmdave(m): 2:31pm On Jan 13, 2016
Work hard,develop yourself and Engage Mathew 6:33 .......Life is A BED OF ROSES
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by MummyEsther: 2:34pm On Jan 13, 2016
emperorchedda:
Truth be told, all students have heard this 1001 times....

But there's no encouragement in the society, when you see Martin Elechi of 85 years still contesting for political power where do you now want the students to occupy when they are done with school?

Even if they resort to entrepreneurship the society is still a barrier, no stable power supply neither is there security.

It all bothers on the government and their policies. A government that gives youths 1million naira immediately after graduation to start up a business will encourage many other youths to become entrepreneurs.

Dwelling on hindrances like you've mentioned above will not stop a determined mind to stand up and be a successful entrepreneur. I am an entrepreneur and loving it. My husband left his paid employment to join me. Its over 10yrs now.
Nothing in life is given on a platter of gold.
Go for it and you'll get there. You either crawl, walk or run. You'll get there.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Honesty007(m): 2:34pm On Jan 13, 2016
Lalasticala ure on point ooh
i tell you its what is killing students Nowadays dat PHD mentality.

Truth is *its not about what you learn mostly, its about what u cn do.

In Europe,Asia,Iceland,ocenia etc, you see Students already independent @ age 18,but here in Nigeria, we never have a good plan before education and thats what is killing us badly.

*If we all stayed with *Agriculture or we were having an established occupation of family inherited businesses before we started tetiary education * it could have been more easy to diversify more ,but in Nigeria, its hard because the foundation has been destroyed.

Also * we see that skills are few.In this country many of us lack skills.The practical aspect of getting skills could have been in secondary schools, groomed and identified ,but here,its all about Theories.
We read and read for nothing!!!!

*saving* Nigeria is not a saving society. Government spendings r reckless and our consumption surpasses savings.
Savings are done by American parents for their family ,for their unborn children.They save with integrity,truth and genuity, but in Nigeria, the rich now ammasses wealth by oppression and heap up evils that they would never see the ufture of their children.

So at age 18, a guy/girl still depends on their parents here,while in overseas they live alone.
Time to save.
As a student, start saving from your JSS classes.
Save and save and save till you don't know the amount of money you have saved!!!
When u now learn innovative skills or you have talent, there wud be no need to seek for sponsorship from Govenrment or corrporate bodies
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by hayzed1090: 2:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
[quote author=mustaphagreens post=41935215]Op..what's your CGPA or what did you finish with?[/quote

You see ? These are the type of students u referred to. They believe in CGPA, thinking their success is a function of school grade. Or, thinking it's only those with low grades that encourage coming up with personal ideas. The simple truth is that u can never have a financial freedom as a salary earner, no matter the amount. And worst of it all, mostly the person paying u the salary is either a school drop out or some one with a very low grade.

3 Likes

Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by WebSurfer(m): 3:10pm On Jan 13, 2016
henrydadon:
preach it..and tell buhari to fulfill his promise..we need that five thousand biko grin grin
are you not ashamed of yourself?
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Nobleking2000(m): 3:23pm On Jan 13, 2016
emperorchedda:

But there's no encouragement in the society, when you see Martin Elechi of 85 years still contesting for political power where do you now want the students to occupy when they are done with school?

Even if they resort to entrepreneurship the society is still a barrier, no stable power supply neither is there security.

It all bothers on the government and their policies. A government that gives youths 1million naira immediately after graduation to start up a business will encourage many other youths to become entrepreneurs.
. There are a lot of reasons that will discourage you from working to suceed or being an dnterprenuer there is only one reason you have ignore those reasons the reason is that you MUST SUCEED no matter the circumstances.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Welcomme: 3:29pm On Jan 13, 2016

1 Like

Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Dekingmoses(m): 3:32pm On Jan 13, 2016
I remember when I was offered admission into dept of chemical engineering bida poly I was excited and thinking after school is shell or NNPC, not until now that am even looking for teaching Job. my advice for all under graduate is to have a mentality of bin an entrepreneur after school. is not easy at all.

1 Like

Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 3:36pm On Jan 13, 2016
Dnt 4gt 2 let dem knw 2 also go 4 deliverance nd hold God strong for all dier life aspirations 2 cum to pass unhindered. Tnx
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by TheAziz: 3:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
Thanks for this op
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by possibilita(m): 4:10pm On Jan 13, 2016
U are right oh but WWE is real.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by JeffreyJamez(m): 4:14pm On Jan 13, 2016
emperorchedda:

excuses upon excuses.....the entrepreneurs that are making it dont they have this challenges too? undecided
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Otunba4eva: 4:19pm On Jan 13, 2016
emperorchedda:

Sir, I don't agree with you, any information you receive and don't act on it will never deliver positively in your life . Sometime our mentality cripple our ability to perform. Stop thinking of who to give you up to a million Naira to start a business now, start thinking of what to do where you are to generate money. The oops have said it all but majority will still be a victim. For instance been an undergraduate there lots of business that u can start with your pocket money or maintenance fees, such as hair stylist, dry cleaning, photocopy/handout printing for student etc. even as a lady u can start with make up artist for friends( birthday, wedding etc ) at a fees, trading( clothing, shoes, weaveon etc) but we sometimes consider ourselves too big for all these jobs. I read a lot about Dangote 14yrs before I meet with him in person, he started with his head, distributing cement at site, he later bought wheel barrow with money realize to distribute the said cement to client at site. Rented a shop and become a sole distributor of the product, after some years he started importation and later become a manufacturer of cement and other products. Today he is a major entrepreneur in Africa and beyond and also an employer of labour.
I know our economy is bad but you can still start something where u are and soon become a major attention the world is seeking. Until you give yourself to task, it can't give back to you. You don't just grow big, you manage well to grow big. Until people around sees you doing something meaningful they can't commit anything into your hand to assist you. Start somewhere now and stop waiting for encouragement from anyone, those u are looking up for encouragement are equally discouraged.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Otunba4eva: 4:23pm On Jan 13, 2016
Welcomme:
Nice article! Through out my stay in uni, I am always loaded with cash. I do not ask my mom ( a widow) for money except there is no work. I single handedly sponsored myself through out uni and even give my mum and younger ones money anytim I go to their place. Reason being that, when I finished sec sch, I left the comfort of my mum's house to go learn a skill which helped me to purchase my waec, jamb and post ume, and tuitions through out my stay in the uni. I graduated last year with a 2nd class upper, which I do not see as big deal ( to me) cuz I hav sumtin doing.
Bro and sis, nobody is too young to make money, education does not guarantee wealth but ur hustle and prayers do. My younger bro is just 14 in j.s 2 but this guy makes a thousand naira everyday when he is on holiday cuz he knows about photoshop and he goes to lab to edit pix for pple.

Good one. God bless you.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by t0bbY(m): 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
wittyt98:
oshey ...... bet9ja ti take over.. man u must sanwo!
the earlier the better you know that place is of no good
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Moyanbe(m): 5:04pm On Jan 13, 2016
Nigeria is a place where you must have foresight and think ahead while still in school. I started mine when I was in 100l. I learned the basics about farming. I went to different seminars and today, am proud to be a consultant in my field. I did not use my certificate to look for job. Infact none of them has never ask about my certificate, all they expect is good work.
If you are still a student, pls plan ahead cos now my colleagues are still looking for ends meet while am not.
...... Check my works out www.farmlifeng.com
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by borntoR35(m): 5:06pm On Jan 13, 2016
i begin to realise this last year though, but i think our major problem apart from government is we ourselves. And this happen from what occurred in past. In the past there is company, factory and many things even when Nigeria is not good then. But the youths have oppurtunity to work and earn money. This is the veil in our eyes for so many year, that whenever we finished at the university we will automatically secure a job, which is wrong. but ppl are beginning to understant that school is a place of education not a place of job. Though there are job oppurtunities in education but school is a place of acquiring knowledge.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by borntoR35(m): 5:14pm On Jan 13, 2016
Honesty007:
Lalasticala ure on point ooh
i tell you its what is killing students Nowadays dat PHD mentality.

Truth is *its not about what you learn mostly, its about what u cn do.

In Europe,Asia,Iceland,ocenia etc, you see Students already independent @ age 18,but here in Nigeria, we never have a good plan before education and thats what is killing us badly.

*If we all stayed with *Agriculture or we were having an established occupation of family inherited businesses before we started tetiary education * it could have been more easy to diversify more ,but in Nigeria, its hard because the foundation has been destroyed.

Also * we see that skills are few.In this country many of us lack skills.The practical aspect of getting skills could have been in secondary schools, groomed and identified ,but here,its all about Theories.
We read and read for nothing!!!!

*saving* Nigeria is not a saving society. Government spendings r reckless and our consumption surpasses savings.
Savings are done by American parents for their family ,for their unborn children.They save with integrity,truth and genuity, but in Nigeria, the rich now ammasses wealth by oppression and heap up evils that they would never see the ufture of their children.

So at age 18, a guy/girl still depends on their parents here,while in overseas they live alone.
Time to save.
As a student, start saving from your JSS classes.
Save and save and save till you don't know the amount of money you have saved!!!
When u now learn innovative skills or you have talent, there wud be no need to seek for sponsorship from Govenrment or corrporate bodies
how much are u giving as feding money that u will been saving? In this hardship?
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by amakufrancis(m): 5:50pm On Jan 13, 2016
Dapromzy333:
Let's make something clear, “students think". In fact, students think a lot about money, drinks, parties, opposite sex and so on but most importantly students think about their lives after school, which is good.

The bad thing however is that what they think about life after school are majorly unrealistic thoughts like, "hey, I am finally in 100 level studying economics in Kogi State University, and I'll graduate in 4 years’ time, then go for service and probably do some masters and PhD thingy then get a job and make money".

That's so unrealistic that its makes WWE wrestling more real. Its plain garbage thought you need to start getting out of your head. This life isn't Hollywood, and when you're born into one hell of a country like Nigeria you need to wise up and start thinking with your "brain".

If you can take your time and look outside your window to see millions of graduates roaming about the streets you'll probably understand that it’s not as easy as you think it is, if it was that easy your parents and your friends parents and all parents in Nigeria will be multi billionaires and you may not even need to go to school.

Life isn't easy, and Nigeria is making life even harder for Nigerians. The labour market is so choked up, it will take extra power for an angel to pass through. There is hardship in every corner of the country and the earlier you realize these things, the better for you.

So instead partying and smiling all around school why don't you sit yourself down and not only think logically but also plan logically. These topics might get you onto the right path:

- First and foremost you need to realize you only have one life to live, every circumstance you find yourself will most definitely come once, you don't go to primary school twice, well, except you're going there the second time to teach or something. My point is, in every situation you find yourself you have to try hard in making the best outta that situation, if you don't succeed, it’s okay, at least you tried.

- Ask yourself questions, like why are there few rich people in the country, what can I do to get there, what are my potentials, what are my weaknesses. You have tons of questions you should start asking yourself.

- You need to start tasking yourself. Are you too young to make money?? I mean, there are lots of unemployed graduates out there who still depend on their parents. I know you don't want to belong in that category when you're done with school. You need to know what you have to do to make that money so you do not have to depend on anybody.

God has given you a talent, why don't you discover it and start using it to make money now. There are tons of things you can do as an undergraduate that can cough out money for you, you just need to think and plan on how to strike a balance between your academics and what you're doing.

It's not how petty the job is or how little you're earning. It’s about knowing for a fact that you can do something to improve your situation.

A lot of OND, HND, BSc, PhD holders are out there (those certs are common these days), some even have all those certs with them at the moment but have nothing to show for it because they failed to realize that school is not about learning on how to work for a boss, it’s also about how to develop yourself to being your own boss.

- You need to stop thinking about your future and know that the future you are thinking of is "NOW". You have to start thinking and planning logically from now on.

- You need to start encouraging yourself to do things that'll make you big. Forget where you are now, it doesn't matter, its where you're going to be when it’s all said and done that matters.

Forget the fact that you stay in Dagana or you stay in one shady place around KSU, and your fellow mates stay in billionaires lodge or exquisite lodge (it’s probably not their money anyways), it doesn't matter. What matters is that you are formulating a plan that will change your situation when four years is done and dusted.

- All in all you have to think of doing only what's necessary to get that money, not something people like or what they don't like, not what brings shame to you or doesn't bring shame to you, you don't have to care what people think about you, 'cause at the end of it all it's you and only you that matters.

Nobody remembers the disgusting or not disgusting things Dangote has done in the past, because it was necessary to get him to where he is now, “the richest man in Africa".

Cc:Lalasticlala..

http://solutionclass.com/forum2_theme_110811609.xhtml?tema=1210
bro evening, can we know how u planned yours... Will like to learn
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 13, 2016
How I wish I came across this thread 6yrs ago, how I wish I can turn back the hands of the clock. Nevertheless I am happy for who I am today. To God be the glory.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by firstking01(m): 7:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
Insightful and educativesmiley
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by firstking01(m): 7:44pm On Jan 13, 2016
Zzyco:
Sense able
funny dp grin
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by fabre4: 7:58pm On Jan 13, 2016
bla bla bla we've had enough of this advice how about practice-able ideas keep on advising from now till tommorow it will be useless unless you tell the students practical ways of planning the future in an economic recessed country.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Viktor1983(m): 8:55pm On Jan 13, 2016
henrydadon:
are u saying the president was only bluffing when he said that angry

its not viable.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Haywhymido(m): 9:02pm On Jan 13, 2016
In sha Allah, Sum years later, i will tell multitude of people how this thread n its comments changed my life for good. Now, let go there. Bring it on
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by mimibright(m): 9:55pm On Jan 13, 2016
emperorchedda:

What of those who started with nothing? I mean absolutely nothing sad truth be told youths of today are lazy!! They have the mentality of if e no dey pay now I no dey do! I remember when I started I was the joke of the day! Everyone thought I was stupid including friends in church. Today they want to identify with me and want me to employ them. No one should blame the government that's rubbish. No food for a lazy man!!!
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jan 13, 2016
Students in various tertiary institutions should take note of what the OP said. 4 years is not that long. The time to do and become whatever you want to do and be is NOW.

In 2baba's voice: "we don talk our own o, if you like make you take am as a joke o, if you like make you use am e go work for you".
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Karleb(m): 10:39pm On Jan 13, 2016
E don tay wey I don dey prepare for a future without a white collar job.
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by farouk0403(m): 11:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
Thanks op

But you forgot one problem CAPITAL to start the bussiness with, apart from that you know the problem that we are facing in this country is economic problem, most of the above comments here kept on advising undergraduate to save their pocket money and start a mini Biz like photocopy E.t.c my question is how would that be possible? When most of the undergraduate have financial problems at home due to the country we are in, most of the undergraduate survived on low pocket money.

Ok now I know the questions that most of you will ask,

Handwork and self dependant? Am I right?
If so.
Most of us here are not furtunate to go into handwork due to some reasons, let me state some reasons for you, although it may sound silly to some of you but is the truth, one of my reason is there are many undergraduate that are not exposed to any handwork through out their teenage age, because they are born in a well to do family and a golden spoon always in their mouth, but as times goes on the family may encounter some challenges which will lead to total bankruptcy to the economy of the family , and the future of the children will be blank.

!ut b4 they realised it, it will be too late for them to go bk and start the handwork business because they don't have the idea and in sufficient time, due to university curriculum.
so most of them will think like "let them graduate first, and face the world" with the little knowledge they acquired from the Uni.

Am not against you OP but am trying to show you the reality in some peoples life, cos I heard so many cases and complaint from undergraduate similar to the one I stated above

PS: I forgot to state this earlier, this is base on undergraduate that are in their peak of graduation like 300 and 400 level respectively, but for those that are in 100 and 200level is never too late for them because they still have time to hardened themselves and face the world, they should tear
the pages of their past live and open a new page for their future.

However you thread is really encouraging Kudos to you
Re: Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School by Sam32(m): 12:30am On Jan 14, 2016
Dapromzy333:
Let's make something clear, “students think". In fact, students think a lot about money, drinks, parties, opposite sex and so on but most importantly students think about their lives after school, which is good.

The bad thing however is that what they think about life after school are majorly unrealistic thoughts like, "hey, I am finally in 100 level studying economics in Kogi State University, and I'll graduate in 4 years’ time, then go for service and probably do some masters and PhD thingy then get a job and make money".

That's so unrealistic that its makes WWE wrestling more real. Its plain garbage thought you need to start getting out of your head. This life isn't Hollywood, and when you're born into one hell of a country like Nigeria you need to wise up and start thinking with your "brain".

If you can take your time and look outside your window to see millions of graduates roaming about the streets you'll probably understand that it’s not as easy as you think it is, if it was that easy your parents and your friends parents and all parents in Nigeria will be multi billionaires and you may not even need to go to school.

Life isn't easy, and Nigeria is making life even harder for Nigerians. The labour market is so choked up, it will take extra power for an angel to pass through. There is hardship in every corner of the country and the earlier you realize these things, the better for you.

So instead partying and smiling all around school why don't you sit yourself down and not only think logically but also plan logically. These topics might get you onto the right path:

- First and foremost you need to realize you only have one life to live, every circumstance you find yourself will most definitely come once, you don't go to primary school twice, well, except you're going there the second time to teach or something. My point is, in every situation you find yourself you have to try hard in making the best outta that situation, if you don't succeed, it’s okay, at least you tried.

- Ask yourself questions, like why are there few rich people in the country, what can I do to get there, what are my potentials, what are my weaknesses. You have tons of questions you should start asking yourself.

- You need to start tasking yourself. Are you too young to make money?? I mean, there are lots of unemployed graduates out there who still depend on their parents. I know you don't want to belong in that category when you're done with school. You need to know what you have to do to make that money so you do not have to depend on anybody.

God has given you a talent, why don't you discover it and start using it to make money now. There are tons of things you can do as an undergraduate that can cough out money for you, you just need to think and plan on how to strike a balance between your academics and what you're doing.

It's not how petty the job is or how little you're earning. It’s about knowing for a fact that you can do something to improve your situation.

A lot of OND, HND, BSc, PhD holders are out there (those certs are common these days), some even have all those certs with them at the moment but have nothing to show for it because they failed to realize that school is not about learning on how to work for a boss, it’s also about how to develop yourself to being your own boss.

- You need to stop thinking about your future and know that the future you are thinking of is "NOW". You have to start thinking and planning logically from now on.

- You need to start encouraging yourself to do things that'll make you big. Forget where you are now, it doesn't matter, its where you're going to be when it’s all said and done that matters.

Forget the fact that you stay in Dagana or you stay in one shady place around KSU, and your fellow mates stay in billionaires lodge or exquisite lodge (it’s probably not their money anyways), it doesn't matter. What matters is that you are formulating a plan that will change your situation when four years is done and dusted.

- All in all you have to think of doing only what's necessary to get that money, not something people like or what they don't like, not what brings shame to you or doesn't bring shame to you, you don't have to care what people think about you, 'cause at the end of it all it's you and only you that matters.

Nobody remembers the disgusting or not disgusting things Dangote has done in the past, because it was necessary to get him to where he is now, “the richest man in Africa".

Cc:Lalasticlala..

http://solutionclass.com/forum2_theme_110811609.xhtml?tema=1210
I like the fact that this is coming from a kogite!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Boycott!!! LAUTECH Resumes Today / Gold Winning Technovation World Pitch Girls Arrive Nigeria- Picture/Video / 5 Benefits Of Online Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.