Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. - Travel (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. (625057 Views)

23-year-old Zambian Pilot Fulfills Dream Of Flying Parents / Opportunity For Nurses And Midwives To Work In Dubai / Working Abroad Illegally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (219) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 6:03pm On Apr 25, 2020
omonaija123:

It looks like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed . Did I ever mention that I breached a contract or did I ever state that I support breaching a contract? They are not allowing Nigerians to migrate to the US period so take your frustrations some where else .
Alaye, calm down. The discussion here isn't about Migration, its about the ill-character of breaching contracts, and you seem to sound like the type that would breach contracts. Please don't

P.S: USA isn't really my PPA
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 6:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
BlueBeard:

Alaye, calm down. The discussion here isn't about Migration, its about the ill-character of breaching contracts, and you seem to sound like the type that would breach contracts. Please don't

P.S: USA isn't really my PPA

Lol, for you information I have not breached contract . You can say whatever you like , it’s not your PPA like you had a chance anyway.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 6:08pm On Apr 25, 2020
@Justwise please block Bluebeard as he/she is trying to derail the thread.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 6:11pm On Apr 25, 2020
omonaija123:
@Justwise please block Bluebeard as he/she is trying to derail the thread.
Block kor, blockage nii grin gringrin . U think @justwise just blocks people upandan without a due genuine cause?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 6:57pm On Apr 25, 2020
@ bluebeard and @omonaija123 let's stop the assumptions about people and stop throwing shades. Esp @bluebeard

On the contract wahala, I always advice you read it well and know what the terms are. Avoid a contract longer than 2years because you may get frustrated if you hate the environment. Try not to breech your contract to prevent back lash on others but dont stay at any job to the detriment of your mental health. Places like avant pays about 26-28 bucks on an average and yes you may have friends in north California earning 60-100bucks. Try to do your time and then leave. The hospitals ups your pay from about 26 to 36 in some places after you are done with avant's contract and they retain you.

Ask your employers questions like:
1... the hours they are mandated to provide you in your contract.
2....if your contract is hours worked on based on time spent. Eg is it 2 years or 3000hours or whichever comes first.
3.....can you have a part time or locum job outside your contract?
4.....are there chances for overtime?
5.....do you get shift premiums?
6.....any opportunity for education sponsorship or reimbursement etc...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2020
vickyehi:
@ bluebeard and @omonaija123 let's stop the assumptions about people and stop throwing shades. Esp @bluebeard

On the contract wahala, I always advice you read it well and know what the terms are. Avoid a contract longer than 2years because you may get frustrated if you hate the environment. Try not to breech your contract to prevent back lash on others but dont stay at any job to the detriment of your mental health. Places like avant pays about 26-28 bucks on an average and yes you may have friends in north California earning 60-100bucks. Try to do your time and then leave. The hospitals ups your pay from about 26 to 36 in some places after you are done with avant's contract and they retain you.

2....if your contract is hours worked on based on time spent. Eg is it 2 years or 3000hours or whichever comes first.
Thanks.... @tomsss, come check this out. So you dont fall prey to dubious agents
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2020
vickyehi:

I agree with almost everything you said , but most contracts now in the US would require more the 2 year commitment.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 7:39pm On Apr 25, 2020
omonaija123:

I agree with almost everything you said , but most contracts now in the US would require more the 2 year commitment.
When you say most, which companies are you referring to?
Best way to get a shorter contract is to do almost all of the process urself then get an agency only for the employment visa.
The more money the agency spends on you, the more they would want out of you.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 7:47pm On Apr 25, 2020
vickyehi:

Best way to get a shorter contract is to do almost all of the process urself then get an agency only for the employment visa.

Avant is 5000 hours( which take 2.5 -3 years) , med pro is 3 years .
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Snow1: 7:48pm On Apr 25, 2020
I believe whether it's a 2/3 ,yrs contract, one need to liase and get a side hustle. Before you say Jack, the 2-3 yrs will be over. You can now decide to quit from the agency hospital or continue with the pay raise..Alphaslice decided to quit nursing practice and he is living his life, I will consider quitting after my contract....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Snow1: 7:52pm On Apr 25, 2020
omonaija123:

Avant is 5000 hours , med pro is 3 years .
It's just 2 to 3 yrs for all agency...Avant pay is about $24/hr , they will also give you about $2500 when you come over to U.S.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 8:23pm On Apr 25, 2020
Snow1:

It's just 2 to 3 yrs for all agency...Avant pay is about $24/hr , they will also give you about $2500 when you come over to U.S.

Are you with Avant ?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 8:26pm On Apr 25, 2020
vickyehi:

Which part of process are you talking about ?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 8:38pm On Apr 25, 2020
omonaija123:

Which part of process are you talking about ?
Westways is 2 years and by the part of the process, I mean some people are helped with nclex prep till immigration, while others are helped sigh only the immigration process.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 8:41pm On Apr 25, 2020
Snow1:

Westways pay ranges from 30-40+ per hour depending on your place of assignment. They dont give you any money in hand (to the best of my knowledge).

Another difference I think is that avant staffs hospitals kinda directly, while westways is a travel agency so pay is generally higher when you travel.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by auschris: 8:44pm On Apr 25, 2020
And you know this how? You sound very sure of what you are saying but you are very far from the truth.
omonaija123:

From what I heard , money is a big issue, the agency would pay the nurse a quarter of what the agency is being paid by the hospital. Also working conditions , as a international nurse they going to put you in where they need nurses the most which may not be the best places. I also heard that sometimes Avant does not treat their international nurses right so that could also be another issue.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 8:49pm On Apr 25, 2020
vickyehi:

Westways is 2 years and by the part of the process, I mean some people are helped with nclex prep till immigration, while others are helped sigh only the immigration process.

Just be careful of these newer agencies . Westways is a newer company , have you seen anyone actually sponsored by them?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 8:51pm On Apr 25, 2020
auschris:
And you know this how? You sound very sure of what you are saying but you are very far from the truth.

I work with international nurses so I know what I’m talking about and have talked to these agencies myself. If you work in the US and have examples to going against my points please do so instead of making blanket statements.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by auschris: 9:14pm On Apr 25, 2020
In what capacity do you work with international nurses and who in Avant did you speak with?
I moved here to the US through Avant in 2016. I completed my contract in 19 months. I coordinate and mentor a large group of international RNs from Nigeria from across many agencies. I also mentor another group of RNs in Nigeria that have passed their NCLEX and currently on their immigration process.
I have first hand knowledge of the issue in question but I reserve my public judgment on that. However, I am very concerned that prospective international RNs are bearing the brunt of the actions of some our compatriots.

omonaija123:

I work with international nurses so I know what I’m talking about and have talked to these agencies myself.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by auschris: 9:22pm On Apr 25, 2020
For the benefit of those following this thread, what agencies do you recommend and why?
Westways may not be a perfect agency, I personally know Nigerian RNs that they have sponsored. Some are my classmates, ex-students and others I have not met in person but have had the privilege of guiding through their process and helping them get settled in the US.

omonaija123:

Just be careful of these newer agencies . Westways is a newer company , have you seen anyone actually sponsored by them?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by omonaija123: 10:13pm On Apr 25, 2020
Hey
auschris:
For the benefit of those following this thread, what agencies do you recommend and why?
Westways may not be a perfect agency, I personally know Nigerian RNs that they have sponsored. Some are my classmates, ex-students and others I have not met in person but have had the privilege of guiding through their process and helping them get settled in the US.

Okay, if you know people who have actually sponsored them that’s fine. I feel like Avant is number one when it comes to sponsorship, they are more established agency which gives more room for employment . But every agency has it pros and cons.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Silentthinker(f): 11:02pm On Apr 25, 2020
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 6:50am On Apr 26, 2020
auschris:
@auschris morning sir. Its bn a while, how's work and family? I'm sure you can't recognize me due to the moniker grin grin grin.
Baba I loyal ooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 6:57am On Apr 26, 2020
auschris:
In what capacity do you work with international nurses and who in Avant did you speak with?
I moved here to the US through Avant in 2016. I completed my contract in 19 months. I coordinate and mentor a large group of international RNs from Nigeria from across many agencies. I also mentor another group of RNs in Nigeria that have passed their NCLEX and currently on their immigration process.
I have first hand knowledge of the issue in question but I reserve my public judgment on that. However, I am very concerned that prospective international RNs are bearing the brunt of the actions of some our compatriots.

Atleast we have a Nigerian working with Avant, that doesn't feel like he was used by Avant or taken advantage of, moreover, this is more authentic than just hear-say. Bottom line is, review your terms of contract well before embarking on one and breaching them

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by auschris: 7:38am On Apr 26, 2020
I dey o. Who you be , abeg? Send me message for whatsapp, if you get my number or via facebook. NL can be 'faceless'
BlueBeard:

@auschris morning sir. Its bn a while, how's work and family? I'm sure you can't recognize me due to the moniker grin grin grin.
Baba I loyal ooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by BlueBeard(m): 8:41am On Apr 26, 2020
auschris:
I dey o. Who you be , abeg? Send me message for whatsapp, if you get my number or via facebook. NL can be 'faceless'
Lost your WhatsApp number, lemme Facebook u
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Tomsss: 10:33am On Apr 26, 2020
BlueBeard:

Thanks.... @tomsss, come check this out. So you dont fall prey to dubious agents

Thank you oo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Breeze19: 11:37pm On Apr 26, 2020
I must confess there is not point arguing . The journey is individualized including timing for each of the various steps involved. The contract is never signed under duress. More importantly it is usually signed before any input from them at all.
So I think a better understanding of every statements in the contract is necessary. To be sincere , so many of these agencies are doing pretty good job as well. Ofcos, it is a win -win suff at the end. Do wanna talk about putting u under the tutelage of another company to prepare u for the NClex ? Credentialing, paying for d air flight , Hotels ,the Nclex test and lot more. Talk less of immigration stages. Like seriously, they re wow. I have gone thru all these stages so I know what am talking about here.
A lot won't be living their American dreams by now if not because of them.
Breaching the contracts is extremely out of point as it pose a lot of problems for the coming ones. Let us be upright and sincere in what we do. May God help us and heal our world .

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by vickyehi: 12:16am On Apr 27, 2020
auschris:

The boss himself came out to answer this one.
Thank you jare.
I have numerous friends and colleagues in various stages with westways. I dont just talk because I feel like it. If I am not sure of an information, I do not publicly state it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by auschris: 5:49am On Apr 27, 2020
My sister, wetin you want make I do na. I no wan keep quiet before speculation go take the position of fact. The essence of this thread is to provide RNs with factual information that will enable them make informed decisions.
Hope say una area don dey warm up small small? God bless you.

vickyehi:

The boss himself came out to answer this one.
Thank you jare.
I have numerous friends and colleagues in various stages with westways. I dont just talk because I feel like it. If I am not sure of an information, I do not publicly state it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by SOLARPOWER1(f): 9:50pm On Apr 27, 2020
Breeze19:
I must confess there is not point arguing . The journey is individualized including timing for each of the various steps involved. The contract is never signed under duress. More importantly it is usually signed before any input from them at all.
So I think a better understanding of every statements in the contract is necessary. To be sincere , so many of these agencies are doing pretty good job as well. Ofcos, it is a win -win suff at the end. Do wanna talk about putting u under the tutelage of another company to prepare u for the NClex ? Credentialing, paying for d air flight , Hotels ,the Nclex test and lot more. Talk less of immigration stages. Like seriously, they re wow. I have gone thru all these stages so I know what am talking about here.
A lot won't be living their American dreams by now if not because of them.
Breaching the contracts is extremely out of point as it pose a lot of problems for the coming ones. Let us be upright and sincere in what we do. May God help us and heal our world .

Such is life my brother.. Jesus healed 7 lepers only one came back to give thanks... When I was in secondary school our neighbour brought A young girl as wife from the village who could not speak even broken English, she learnt a lot after arrival and eventually left the husband for a man that comes to her shop regularly to buy things.. Eye open, people forget where they are coming from easily

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Amy360: 2:51pm On Apr 28, 2020
Good day house,please @ vickyehi I need answer to this question, Can I use my intern license for verification with nmcn for UK processing and can I relocate with my husband almost immediately. Thank you as I await ur response

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (219) (Reply)

QATAR And UAE General Visa Enquiries / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.