Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech (35377 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Is An Ojukwu, An Nzeogwu And An Azikiwe All Rolled Into One' - FFK / Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 / The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 7:06am On Jan 15, 2016
My dear countrymen, no citizen should have anything to fear, so long as that citizen is law abiding and if that citizen has religiously obeyed the native laws of the country and those set down in every heart and conscience since 1st October, 1960.

Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 per cent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds.

Like good soldiers we are not promising anything miraculous or spectacular. But what we do promise every law abiding citizen is freedom from fear and all forms of oppression, freedom from general inefficiency and freedom to live and strive in every field of human endeavour, both nationally and internationally. We promise that you will know more be ashamed to say that you are a Nigerian.

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/50-yrs-after-january-15-1966-coup-excerpts-of-major-nzeogwus-coup-speech/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

36 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by jayloms: 7:08am On Jan 15, 2016
Oh wow! Fp already.

Well, this coup partly fueled the tribal hate we see in our society today.

I mean, how do you claim to be cleansing the society and execute leaders from a certain part of the society. Even though the intentions were good, it appeared different when it was eventually carried out.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by bashnorth: 7:10am On Jan 15, 2016
What's the motive of bringing this speech now after so many years. This will not add anything other than arguments and tribal bashing.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by geogino(m): 7:11am On Jan 15, 2016
Good Soldiers!!!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by PRYCE(m): 7:16am On Jan 15, 2016
Nzeogwu the guy who openly spoke about how he led attacks on prominent Northern Oligarchs?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by IamPatriotic(m): 7:20am On Jan 15, 2016
How I wish he meant all what he said with all sincerity and unflinching sense of nationalism, but events during and after his broadcast pointed out that the coup was more of a genocide and ethnic cleansing.
Thank goodness, the perpetrators and their supporters are still paying the price for their atrocities.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Dojupyo(f): 7:20am On Jan 15, 2016
A Major just like every other, who plotted a coup and toppled the regime of Alhaji Tafewa Balewa.... Anyway, It was one of the Political Development in Nigeria before 1979..
Our constitution development isn't complete without examining the military and its influence.... The federal character Principe, creation of states etc were creations of part of military regimes in our country Nigeria..

But I can't acclaim such rule cos various draconian decrees were promulgated angry

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by azpekuliar: 7:21am On Jan 15, 2016
@OP, naptu2 ..I would like you to produce the Orkar coup broadcast. That's one coup I wish had'nt failed.

Happy Armed Forces remembrance day smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Lighthouseman: 7:22am On Jan 15, 2016
Strong man

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by decode55(m): 7:26am On Jan 15, 2016
PRYCE:
Nzeogwu the guy who openly spoke about how he led attacks on prominent Northern Oligarchs?

Yeah. The speech I know & have read about is actually more detailed than what the OP wrote up there.

When interviewed by the bbc reporter in 1966, his "juicy" speech led to the massacre of Igbos residing in northern states; which in turn, led to the biafran war.

Nigeria can never be one.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by ZKOSOSO(m): 7:28am On Jan 15, 2016
Continue to R I P my gallant soldier!!

You knew how things were working in those days. Boasting about how 'some were born to rule'

You did something about it quickly...... Unlike some of us including me that can only punch my keypad behind a moniker.

Wish I gather ya liver today!!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 15, 2016
Nzeogwu should shut up!

He didn't have the interest of Nigerians at heart. He was only trying to depose the oligarchy then and install his own, which he failed in.

The problem with political losers is that they tend to request for the support of the people when they are embarking on their selfish interests. The moment they achieve it, they never remember them again I just pity for the silly people who allow themselves to be used and dumped by these class war participants.

The biafrans took the bate placed by Nzeogwu and his own Oligarchy build up which led them to losing 3million innocent souls in a senseless war that could have been avoided. The Ojukwu they died because of abandoned the project and still later came back to contest for the Nigerian Presidency. That shows you that these guys don't give a damn about the people

38 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Ugomba(m): 7:40am On Jan 15, 2016
If Nzeogwu is still alive, He would have been politically under South South as a Delta Igbo.
- He led the coup yet The South East Igbos did not deny him, He ran to them for help. It was part of what triggered the war.
- Had it been that the S.E Igbos denied Nzeogwu as being Igbo, it would have been Hausa/Fulani vs Anioma.
- Thats What You Call A Brother Standing Firmly by a Brother.
.. PROUDLY ANIOMA and DELTA IGBO.

125 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by meccuno: 7:40am On Jan 15, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
Nzeogwu should shut up!

He didn't have the interest of Nigerians at heart. He was only trying to depose the oligarchy then and install his own, which he failed in.

The problem with political losers is that they tend to request for the support of the people when they are embarking on their selfish interests. The moment they achieve it, they never remember them again I just pity for the silly people who allow themselves to be used and dumped by these class war participants.

The biafrans took the bate placed by Nzeogwu and his own Oligarchy build up which led them to losing 3million innocent souls in a senseless war that could have been avoided. The Ojukwu they died because of abandoned the project and still later came back to contest for the Nigerian Presidency. That shows you that these guys don't give a damn about the people
hope you have checked your blood pressure........

21 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by ednut1(m): 7:40am On Jan 15, 2016
yeah right, Nmandi Azikiwe was miraculously absent from the country and was on cruise in the Caribbean, acting president Orizu was also not captured or killed hmmmmmmm angry

19 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 15, 2016
Dojupyo:
A Major just like every other, who plotted a coup and toppled the regime of Alhaji Tafewa Balewa.... Anyway, It was one of the Political Development in Nigeria before 1979..
Our constitution development isn't complete without examining the military and its influence.... The federal character Principe, creation of states etc were creations of part of military regimes in our country Nigeria..

But I can't acclaim such rule cos various draconian decrees were promulgated angry

True...

2 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by tonychristopher: 7:47am On Jan 15, 2016
Ugomba:
If Nzeogwu is still alive, He would have been politically under South South as a Delta Igbo.
- He led the coup yet The South East Igbos did not deny him, He ran to them for help. It was part of what triggered the war.
- Had it been that the S.E Igbos denied Nzeogwu as being Igbo, it would have been Hausa/Fulani vs Anioma.
- Thats What You Call A Brother Standing Firmly by a Brother.
.. PROUDLY ANIOMA and DELTA IGBO.

Nwanne madu...kedu ije ?

Always saying the truth ..that's why I like u

36 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:49am On Jan 15, 2016
The men that set the stage for some of our problems.

26 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 15, 2016
bashnorth:
What's the motive of bringing this speech now after so many years. This will not add anything other than arguments and tribal bashing.

My friend do you know today's date? It's a throwback. Today is a historically significant date, both for the positives and otherwise.

6 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 15, 2016
meccuno:
hope you have checked your blood pressure........

Comot for road!

grin

13 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Ugomba(m): 7:54am On Jan 15, 2016
tonychristopher:

Nwanne madu...kedu ije ?
Always saying the truth ..that's why I like u
I de gbam. How tinx? Its nice to tell a fact the way it is.

8 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by tonychristopher: 7:58am On Jan 15, 2016
Ugomba:
I de gbam. How tinx?
Its nice to tell a fact the way it is.

Yes ....eziokwu bu ndu ..just that Nigerians are more of revisionism and lies with propaganda

You will be amazed how they will twist your history to suit them

Udo di...Oga adili anyi mma

6 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Pavore9: 8:00am On Jan 15, 2016
The journey has truly been long.
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Ugomba(m): 8:02am On Jan 15, 2016
tonychristopher:

Yes ....eziokwu bu ndu ..just that Nigerians are more of revisionism and lies with propaganda

You will be amazed how they will twist your history to suit them

Udo di...Oga adili anyi mma
you should know that Truth is a Treason in Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by tonychristopher: 8:04am On Jan 15, 2016
Ugomba:
you should know that Truth is a Treason in Nigeria.

And also for anybody to be seen as a patriotic Nigeria ..he must have this aversion for anything igbo . this what I have also noticed

Chikwuo dube anyi

8 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by zimoni(f): 10:25am On Jan 15, 2016
[size=14pt]The Day Our Problem Started In Nigeria.

Cursed Be The Day They Started Planning That Useless Coup Which Ruined Nigeria.[/size]

16 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Sweetguy25: 10:28am On Jan 15, 2016
This guy destroyed this country. I hope he nevernever finds peace wherever he is.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Tycoflu(m): 11:35am On Jan 15, 2016
Delta Igbo commit, South East Igbo dey suffer for am till now. Just wish SE never took him as theirs and treated him the way his people are treating and seeing us as frauds as they label us "Across the Niger person".

6 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by slimgold123(f): 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2016
smiley
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2016
What has changed since his speech? Instead things are getting worse. Even the president of the country doesn't hide his tribalist disdain.

3 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Brymo: 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
I admonished every NLander to go n read why we struck?

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ben Bruce With Anita Ukah, The Winner Of 2018 Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria / Northern APC Supporters Show Off Their "Colour" Ahead Of The Elections...photo / PDP Campaigning With Knives At Umungasi Aba Now (pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.