Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,542 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? (14496 Views)

Poll: Can you?

Yes: 40% (41 votes)
No: 59% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Who Wants To Be A Housewife? / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 9:13pm On Jun 22, 2009
kok:

shocked shocked shocked Marketer in a bank ko! then she isnt my wife! else she would be marketing her knowlege and not other people's stuffs

Some marketers are kool though
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by kok(m): 9:16pm On Jun 22, 2009
is it about money fight? what if the man has got all the money she would ever need, and all the guy wants is a wife to raise his kids in the proper way?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by kok(m): 9:19pm On Jun 22, 2009
yea, there are mature marketers but they are mostly in the marketing field for a reason lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 9:19pm On Jun 22, 2009
kok:

is it about money fight? what if the man has got all the money she would ever need, and all the guy wants is a wife to raise his kids in the proper way?

I wont advice my sister to get into such marriage oh, cos such men always maltreat the woman, cos dem no send.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Sissy3(f): 9:28pm On Jun 22, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I wont advice my sister to get into such marriage oh, cos such men always maltreat the woman, cos dem no send.

LOL grin grin grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by tolutara: 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2009
I don't have my head buried in the sand on this issue, because again some men do abuse the situation of the woman being at home.

Like i said earlier, it is a respect issue. Spouses needs to have high regard and respect for each other.and appreciate the contribution each brings into the family.

It is not a money issue. It is a respect issue both on the female and male . Remember y'all are partners to love and not to treating one another miserably or tearing each other apart.

Get it right during courtship. Talk about all of this issues and structure you families according to your principles.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by royalicon(m): 9:51pm On Jun 22, 2009
Get something corrected here FULL TIME HOSEWIFE OR HOUSEWIFE?

I believe every responsible woman should be a housewife, or do we have officewife or streetwife?
Common, get it real, no matter your position in the office, if you dont have a reasonable time for your family. pls quit that job, no matter how.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by sley4life(m): 11:06pm On Jun 22, 2009
Y not
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by akintun: 11:54pm On Jun 22, 2009
Ladies that end up been a full housewife and also a full career woman usually regret it in life. Therefore, it is very important for women to balance the two. On a personal note, i don't think a woman that is not nursing a baby should be a housewife. If she cannot get a job, she should start a business.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Lady2(f): 12:18am On Jun 23, 2009
Absolutely and I actually plan on doing so. It is a sacrifice I am willing to take for my family. Children whose parents spend more time with them tend to be more mature, and perform better in school. Parents who pay attention to the details in their child's life rears better behaved children.
It becomes very difficult when both parents are working, especially in the most critical developmental stages in the lives of children, parents have a harder time focusing on their children when both parents are working.

Now being a housewife doesn't mean that all the woman does is sit at home. By all means she can find a project to do, and infact it helps to have her children involved in the project.

Perfect example of a housewife for those who are christians look at Proverbs 31. She is a woman who runs her home well and supports her husband in all he does.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 12:22am On Jun 23, 2009
gen2genius:

Frankly, even if I became the richest man in the world, my wife would still use her degree to have a meaningful contribution to the society. What's all the fuss about a woman staying at home for the rest of her life, burying her talents, certificates etc because she wants to have a happy home? Sonya Carson (mother of Ben and Curtis Carson) was a single mother who worked tirelessly to feed and educate her children. Yet she still had ample time to bring them up to become responsible men. There are several other women like that. You don't have to stay at home all-day long to have good children. You can have a successful career and a successful marriage. It's a matter of being resourceful and being able to set your priorities right.

Which of the men advocating "full-time housewife" role would be happy to send their daughters to school up to Masters level only for her to bury everything in the name of marriage and family life? Can any of these men agree to be full-time househusbands? Was a woman created JUST to bear and rear children, cook and clean a house? If yes, why didn't God just give them mothering abilities without any other skills? Why are women created with the same mental abilities as men?  And why do we even have to send our girls to general schools? I mean we could just create a School of Mothering and Family Life and send all our girls there instead of spending so much money to train them to study a course like Mass Communication only to end up communicating nothing except lullabies and kitchen songs!

A woman could stay at home with her kids in their formative years, but anything after that, count me out!!!

Exactly. Am I putting all my hard energy into doing homeworks and late night studying just to end up staying home and taking care of the family/house?? HECK NO!! I have/want to put my knowledge to work and not just clean,cook or cater to the family needs.I can work and have time to take care of the household.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by theolar: 12:33am On Jun 23, 2009
I beg to differ on d definition of a real woman being a financially independent woman . A beta defnt is in d book of proverbs
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 12:35am On Jun 23, 2009
theolar:

I beg to differ on d definition of a real woman being a financially independent woman . A beta defnt is in d book of proverbs

So please do tell us what is a "real women"? wink
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by platinumnk(f): 1:06am On Jun 23, 2009
GOOD topic, i will reply later . . matter of fact i will reply now

I have been working since I was 16 years old.

I have never asked a man (except my dad) for money or anything in my life.
I enjoy throughly working for things myself.
Im working hard and putting myself through school, and I have huge goals/ plans for my future.
I really cant see myself being a housewife.

My bf has a stone age mentality, he wants a housewife.
He even asked me if he made enough money for me not to work then I should agree to stay home.
I agreed, but I knew in my heart it wouldnt fly.
My mom she works, and my dad works, and yes I admit I needed them at times when they were'nt there for me, but I a stronger person for it, if u smother your kids how can they be independent??

With my mom working so hard, it encourages me to to work hard.
And I'm now confused, like what an earlier poster said my man met me while I was working, and he even said that he wouldnt want a woman that wasnt educated.
So all my education, sweat , long hours of studying goes down to watchng soap operas daily.

It will never be my portion.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by vislabraye(m): 1:33am On Jun 23, 2009
Na wa O. Women get issues,
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Theblessed(f): 1:41am On Jun 23, 2009
SeanT21:

I have nothing against being a housewife but I can not see myself in that position. I am too Ambitious and Independent. I like the idea of going out there and making my own money. I think a husband will better respect a wife that makes her own money than a woman that relies on him for everything. I do not care If I marry a billionaire, I will never be a housewife. I will be out there doing what "real women" do.

GOOD GIRL, YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!  They will all learn one day as my auntie did when her darling husband went to see God that was when she realised the meaning of the word INDEPENDENT and how to be, too late, huh!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Theblessed(f): 2:09am On Jun 23, 2009
[b] Wish Beyonce' INDEPENDENT WOMAN could hammer into the chicken brains of our housewifery sister for life. No intelligent, ambitious, confident woman with high self esteem and knowing exactly where she's going and where she wants to be in this day in age, would want to sit around at home prepare cookies, eat babies leftovers and tidy up afterwards, no!  There's nothing wrong in being married and having a career or even work part-time.  It gives you a sense of SELF/RESPECT.   Even men themselves would tell you, they don't like DEPENDENT women as they want their women to have a life and the fact that, you are contributing into the family money pot would accord you greater respect from both your husband, the inlaws and your social circle.  

Am I harsh on these ladies?  Absolutely! Someone on here said it's 'Choice', and I am saying no - it's has alot to do with self esteem, laziness, lack of ambition, the values they were brought up with, their social circle etc - otherwise why would an intelligent and educated woman end up in the home as a domestic slave even if her husband is BILL GATES.  In fact, Bill Gates wife is a very busy woman - doing something all the time e.g. her/her husband's charity work - check her schedule!!

I'm only sorry for the men that hooked up with these layabouts but then, men don't realise the quality of women they ended up with until after the honey moon and first baby by then, skool don dismiss.   Personally, in this situation I can only forgive those of them who could not read or write (the illitrates) but many of them are quite industrious - striving to set up small businesses of their own thus showing not only ambition but dignity however, their educated counterparts hide behind motherhood  - an excuse for dependency mentality.  Sorry for their husbands, though. [/b]
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 4:04am On Jun 23, 2009
Theblessed:

[b] Wish Beyonce' INDEPENDENT WOMAN could hammer into the chicken brains of our housewifery sister for life. No intelligent, ambitious, confident woman with high self esteem and knowing exactly where she's going and where she wants to be in this day in age, would want to sit around at home prepare cookies, eat babies leftovers and tidy up afterwards, no! There's nothing wrong in being married and having a career or even work part-time. It gives you a sense of SELF/RESPECT. Even men themselves would tell you, they don't like DEPENDENT women as they want their women to have a life and the fact that, you are contributing into the family money pot would accord you greater respect from both your husband, the inlaws and your social circle.

Am I harsh on these ladies? Absolutely! Someone on here said it's 'Choice', and I am saying no - it's has alot to do with self esteem, laziness, lack of ambition, the values they were brought up with, their social circle etc - otherwise why would an intelligent and educated woman end up in the home as a domestic slave even if her husband is BILL GATES. In fact, Bill Gates wife is a very busy woman - doing something all the time e.g. her/her husband's charity work - check her schedule!!

I'm only sorry for the men that hooked up with these layabouts but then, men don't realise the quality of women they ended up with until after the honey moon and first baby by then, skool don dismiss. Personally, in this situation I can only forgive those of them who could not read or write (the illitrates) but many of them are quite industrious - striving to set up small businesses of their own thus showing not only ambition but dignity however, their educated counterparts hide behind motherhood - an excuse for dependency mentality. Sorry for their husbands, though. [/b]

A little harsh but its the truth.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by TOYOSI20(f): 4:16am On Jun 23, 2009
In this day and age?? shocked shocked. . . .nahh dont think so undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Libra38: 9:37am On Jun 23, 2009
@ Nwaka77
kok:

You have spoken well, Actually, that is exactly what I was going to say.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by ozenyen(m): 9:42am On Jun 23, 2009
this topic is one of the most highly debated issues in the family setting.
i think what is important is creating a balance between the work and the children's up bringing. though this is usually not easy to achieve.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by oludashmi(f): 10:14am On Jun 23, 2009
I have nothing against being a housewife but I can not see myself in that position. I am too Ambitious and Independent. I like the idea of going out there and making my own money. I think a husband will better respect a wife that makes her own money than a woman that relies on him for everything. I do not care If I marry a billionaire, I will never be a housewife. I will be out there doing what "real women" do.

@Seant21 kiss
What else will I say? This is ME!
The only thing I am planning is to make my job more flexible so that I can have more control over my time than now.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by jumie(f): 10:26am On Jun 23, 2009
Housewife ke?

What happens when the hubby dies (God forbid)? Will you'll go on the streets begging or run to your in laws for help (plleeaase). Every woman should wake up and face reality! Plan for yourself and your kids.

Even if you say you want to stay home 24/7 to take care of your kids. You have to remember that one day, these kids will grow up and leave the home so what becomes of you? Will you remain alone in the house saying you are a housewife? Or you'll move in with your kids and become a Housemother? grin

Pleeeeaaaase!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Pataki: 10:37am On Jun 23, 2009
jumie:

Housewife ke?

What happens when the hubby dies (God forbid)? Will you'll go on the streets begging or run to your in laws for help (plleeaase). Every woman should wake up and face reality! Plan for yourself and your kids.
Is this what marriage is all about now - ''Plan for yourself and your kids''?

Funny enough, no one seems to realize the place of sacrifice in marriage. sad
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Secretz(f): 10:45am On Jun 23, 2009
lol, good thread!  wink

Ok, now I'm 50/50 on this matter. As far as I'm concerned there has to be a balance. I feel that I myself am well educated, I also have a lot of work experience and have been working too since 16. I am very ambitious and have many goals for the future . . . . ,
Now If my hubby either came into  a lot of money or got a real good job and ASKED me to be a housewife, I would agree, with some conditions:

1. I am able to start my own business (MY BUSINESS)
2. I work part time in my business (I would have managers, supervisors etc)
3. ^^^^ This would happen when the kids are at school, as it enables me to utilise my qualifications, skills and experience to achieve my goals.

If my husband could look after the whole family, pay all the bills etc, then let him (whilst he is doing this, I will be saving my own money  grin  ), why should I continue to work for someone else when I can have others working for me, whilst I look after my family and be  a business woman at the same time.

If my husband decides to mess off, would the business and all the profits not be mine? Ladies, think about it. . . .
There are 2 different types of housewives, there are those who are, because they have no choice (as in no qulifications, skills and experience to get a good job) and there are those who are the opposite of that. They use their brain to make the best of the situation.

Since I am a teacher (I work school hours, and get all HOLIDAYS off PAID!!), there isn't much need for me to be a housewife. I'm already set  tongue    tongue   tongue

Don't jealous me. . .   kiss

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by quadrillio(m): 11:47am On Jun 23, 2009
Secretz:

lol, good thread!  wink

Ok, now I'm 50/50 on this matter. As far as I'm concerned there has to be a balance. I feel that I myself am well educated, I also have a lot of work experience and have been working too since 16. I am very ambitious and have many goals for the future . . . . ,
Now If my hubby either came into  a lot of money or got a real good job and ASKED me to be a housewife, I would agree, with some conditions:

3. ^^^^ This would happen when the kids are at school, as it enables me to utilise my qualifications, skills and experience to achieve my goals.

If my husband could look after the whole family, pay all the bills etc, then let him (whilst he is doing this, I will be saving my own money  grin  ), why should I continue to work for someone else when I can have others working for me, whilst I look after my family and be  a business woman at the same time.

If my husband decides to mess off, would the business and all the profits not be mine? Ladies, think about it. . . .
There are 2 different types of housewives, there are those who are, because they have no choice (as in no qulifications, skills and experience to get a good job) and there are those who are the opposite of that. They use their brain to make the best of the situation.

Since I am a teacher (I work school hours, and get all HOLIDAYS off PAID!!), there isn't much need for me to be a housewife. I'm already set  tongue    tongue   tongue

I concur
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by trulyopal(f): 12:15pm On Jun 23, 2009
@ poster

Why are women so hard on themselves, either we like it or not the mental and psychological network of a woman is diffrent from that of a man. If you aint willing to take care of you family , why start one in the first place. All the ladies making noise abt balancin work and family definately aint reffering to nigerian setup, ypu leave for work at 6:00 and get back by 9:00, u be witch 2 be able to assist ur kids with home work, cook a lovely meal for ur man and have extra strenght to give him some TLC,
My kids (when i eventually hav them) are my No. 1 investment. no amount of money carreer i have will ever be compared in importance to them. O.K agreed , the husband may die, well, i have seen many carreer women that toiled for years and saved money together with hubby and buy joint properties with him, only for hubby 2 die and his relatives claiming everything. Ehen , the husband can desert you , we are all living in a world of uncertainity, thousands of people are dissmissed from there jobs, owing to 1 reform or the other, or simply becos the new boss wants 2 provide space for his towns ppl in the office.
My suggesstion is;
1) if my husbands salary is very unimpressive, i will definately contribute. By getting a job that allows me to appreciate my family. such as teaching or weekend jobs.
2) if my husband earns reasonably well, i will stay at home and be a STAY AT HOME MOM, take 100% care of my kids, wats d point of d cash their daddy is making if they see the faces of strangers mare than their parents.NAHHHH. though a stay at home mom needs side attractions to keep her brain active, my hubby will give me some cash to invest in WISELY. makin me my own boss at my own pace.
3) If i feel i must work to justify my certificates, i will shelve kids and possibly marriage until i reach a gud carreer position and have earned mega bucks.Then i will smartly invest my money, retire, get married and have kids ( all is possible with technology) and enjoy my money, hubby and kids.
THIS LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT TO BE ENDURED
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Pataki: 12:41pm On Jun 23, 2009
@ Secretz,

I totally agree with you. Thou hath spoken well. grin Will you still be my housewife then? grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by spikedcylinder: 12:52pm On Jun 23, 2009
Its strictly a personal issue. Trying to quantify or qualify between house wives and career women on the long run is terribly useless. undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 12:58pm On Jun 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Its strictly a personal issue. Trying to quantify or qualify between house wives and career women on the long run is terribly useless. undecided

Gbammmm.

It is a personal thing, and i dont think anyone has condemn it or praise it to be housewife.
It is something that the man and the wife will have to sit and talk about.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JJYOU: 1:16pm On Jun 23, 2009
Theblessed:

[b] Wish Beyonce' INDEPENDENT WOMAN could hammer into the chicken brains of our housewifery sister for life. No intelligent, ambitious, confident woman with high self esteem and knowing exactly where she's going and where she wants to be in this day in age, would want to sit around at home prepare cookies, eat babies leftovers and tidy up afterwards, no!  There's nothing wrong in being married and having a career or even work part-time.  It gives you a sense of SELF/RESPECT.   Even men themselves would tell you, they don't like DEPENDENT women as they want their women to have a life and the fact that, you are contributing into the family money pot would accord you greater respect from both your husband, the inlaws and your social circle.  

Am I harsh on these ladies?  Absolutely! Someone on here said it's 'Choice', and I am saying no - it's has alot to do with self esteem, laziness, lack of ambition, the values they were brought up with, their social circle etc - otherwise why would an intelligent and educated woman end up in the home as a domestic slave even if her husband is BILL GATES.  In fact, Bill Gates wife is a very busy woman - doing something all the time e.g. her/her husband's charity work - check her schedule!!

I'm only sorry for the men that hooked up with these layabouts but then, men don't realise the quality of women they ended up with until after the honey moon and first baby by then, skool don dismiss.   Personally, in this situation I can only forgive those of them who could not read or write (the illitrates) but many of them are quite industrious - striving to set up small businesses of their own thus showing not only ambition but dignity however, their educated counterparts hide behind motherhood  - an excuse for dependency mentality.  Sorry for their husbands, though. [/b]
mmmmmmmmmmm u wish u waz right.
Secretz:

lol, good thread!  wink

always nice to hear the sensible minority on matters like this. some people cant believe one size dont fit all. it is money and money alone that decides everything.
truly-opal:

@ poster

Why are women so hard on themselves, either we like it or not the mental and psychological network of a woman is diffrent from that of a man. If you aint willing to take care of you family , why start one in the first place. All the ladies making noise abt balancin work and family definately aint reffering to nigerian setup, ypu leave for work at 6:00 and get back by 9:00, u be witch 2 be able to assist ur kids with home work, cook a lovely meal for ur man and have extra strenght to give him some TLC,
My kids (when i eventually hav them) are my No. 1 investment. no amount of money carreer i have will ever be compared in importance to them. O.K agreed , the husband may die, well, i have seen many carreer women that toiled for years and saved money together with hubby and buy joint properties with him, only for hubby 2 die and his relatives claiming everything. Ehen , the husband can desert you , we are all living in a world of uncertainity, thousands of people are dissmissed from there jobs, owing to 1 reform or the other, or simply becos the new boss wants 2 provide space for his towns ppl in the office.
My suggesstion is;
1) if my husbands salary is very unimpressive, i will definately contribute. By getting a job that allows me to appreciate my family. such as teaching or weekend jobs.
2) if my husband earns reasonably well, i will stay at home and be a STAY AT HOME MOM, take 100% care of my kids, wats d point of d cash their daddy is making if they see the faces of strangers mare than their parents.NAHHHH. though a stay at home mom needs side attractions to keep her brain active, my hubby will give me some cash to invest in WISELY. makin me my own boss at my own pace.
3) If i feel i must work to justify my certificates, i will shelve kids and possibly marriage until i reach a gud carreer position and have earned mega bucks.Then i will smartly invest my money, retire, get married and have kids ( all is possible with technology) and enjoy my money, hubby and kids.
THIS LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT TO BE ENDURED
mostly agree. always so good to hear common sence on these matters
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by omooloye1(f): 1:26pm On Jun 23, 2009
NEVER!!!!

I'm a humanbeing, I deserve a good life and fulfillment.I can't just sit at
home like a ninny just because my hubby says so.Where was he when
my parents were toiling day and night just to ensure that I am educated?
If I were not, he wouldn't even consider me as good enough for his wife.

Tell me, what's the use of a formal education, if I wanted to end up a
fulltime housewife? why bother myself studying all these years if
I wanted to end up sitting at home all day, waiting for Oga to come.
What a boring lifestyle, quite unfulfilling.Over my dead body.

Though my I love my family, I can never sacrifice my career.There's a plcae
for the family, there's another for career.The children would all leave me for
good, so I have to make myself happy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Polygamy: Men: How Do You Tell Your Wife,you've Gotten A New Wife. / 5 Benefits Of Having Self-love / My Husband Forgot My Birthday :-(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.