Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? (14485 Views)

Poll: Can you?

Yes: 40% (41 votes)
No: 59% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Who Wants To Be A Housewife? / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 28, 2009
//
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by seunnowell: 12:17am On Jun 29, 2009
SeanT21:

It is a wonder that most of these men here wants their wife to be a housewife. I have my reasons why but let me not say!!

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 4:00am On Jun 29, 2009
seunnowell:

undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by seunnowell: 7:11am On Jun 29, 2009
SeanT21:

undecided

--sighs--
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JJYOU: 12:34pm On Jun 29, 2009
chaircover:

@consultant, you are not alone. After my first child I was in an IT job that involved a lot of travelling. I had a brand new company car and had my first 10,000 mile serivce when the car was only 3 months old, so that will give you an idea into how many miles I was covering on that job.

I hated the travel, I hated the job, I hated sleeping in strange beds in hotels, I hated the fact that I had to keep every receipt to claim back expenses,  and most importantly I hated the fact that I wasnt there for my family. My mum was staying with us to help with the baby & housework but I knew that just wasnt right.

One morning I got into work 10 minutes late and some one made a comment and that just tipped me over the edge. I calmly handed over the laptop & car keys to the one who made the comment and just walked out of the building.

I didnt have a job to go to but I just knew in my heart of heart that something wasnt right with leaving my family for so long while I was on the road all in the name of a job.

Last year by choice, I went part time and am home by 1:00. It was a big pay cut but you do get used to it and cut your coat according to your size. [size=15pt]Money is not everything and a lot of people who think it is either havent earned good money or are single.[/size]

Now, I pick the kids up from school, we stop off at the shops to buy meat etc and we have barbeques in the garden nearly every other day. Other days we stop off at the park on the way home and spend time together. I also run an internet business so there is some income coming in from that. Now I have tinme to answer those tricky questions kids love asking like "how did I get into your tummy mummy"?

My housework still is not perfect & not totally under control, but im not rushing around in the mornings like a raging bull because I cant find the kids socks or they havent read their book or havemt done their home work.
Jollof rice or fried rice is not just a sunday meal as now I have time to do more in the home.

I know some of my mates earn £1,000 a day contracting but quite honstly I rather spend the time with my family than accumulating all that money in the bank.

Why am I saying all this? Just to encourage you and to let you know that I have been there and I understand what you are going through & how you feel. God bless you.
thanks for spelling it all out.  be prepared to be told you are supposed to be making as much as you can just in case you need to work on plan B.
Consultant:

It's interesting. I currently work full time, and my job involves a lot of travelling. Before I had kids, I would have said NEVER to being a house wife (stay-at-home mum, whatever). But now that I have two kids, the only reason why I still have this job is because my husband and I have a lot of  responsibilities. My dream would be to have a job that I can do from home - maybe write, or run my own business, so that I can spend more time with my children. I feel so responsible for them, and I want to 'train them up in the way of the Lord', and that takes time and attention. [size=15pt]That's why I admire Michelle Obama so much - giving up a high paying job and just being a mum - and looking like she's have a great time doing it.
[/size]
I guess all women can't be the same, so I don't expect that all women should share my sentiments. If I did stay at home, though, I would have to be doing a lot more than housework, because God gave me these brains for a reason, and it's not just to vacuum!
typical nigerian ( michelle) would be looking for money to spend for the 600yrs they intend to live on planet earth.  you mean they dont teach the act of vacuum clenaing as a course in schools.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 2:10pm On Jun 29, 2009
JJYOU:

thanks for spelling it all out.  be prepared to be told you are supposed to be making as much as you can just in case you need to work on plan B. typical nigerian ( michelle) would be looking for money to spend for the 600yrs they intend to live on planet earth.  you mean they dont teach the act of vacuum clenaing as a course in schools.

You are very right, there is a level that a family will reach that is not even worth it for the wife to be working, at such point, she will be working just for fun, to give back to the society and not to make end meet, and at such time, she can invest more time into her house and take care of her home.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nezan(m): 2:15pm On Jun 29, 2009
Consultant:

It's interesting. I currently work full time, and my job involves a lot of travelling. Before I had kids, I would have said NEVER to being a house wife (stay-at-home mum, whatever). But now that I have two kids, the only reason why I still have this job is because my husband and I have a lot of responsibilities. My dream would be to have a job that I can do from home - maybe write, or run my own business, so that I can spend more time with my children. I feel so responsible for them, and I want to 'train them up in the way of the Lord', and that takes time and attention. That's why I admire Michelle Obama so much - giving up a high paying job and just being a mum - and looking like she's have a great time doing it.

I guess all women can't be the same, so I don't expect that all women should share my sentiments. If I did stay at home, though, I would have to be doing a lot more than housework, because God gave me these brains for a reason, and it's not just to vacuum!

This reply I think, is from a 'real woman' different from the ones claiming to be 'real' on this thread angry
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by benedictac(f): 2:50pm On Jun 29, 2009
I cant be a housewife but a husband's wife lol

my husband will never allow his wife to stay and not doing anything

and as for me God forbid that i am a house wife

house wife!!! God forbid
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On Jun 29, 2009
benedictac:

house wife!!! God forbid

Very interesting.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Gabry(f): 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2009
I can be a housewive provided I work as well. I can work and do the housework at the same time. Love it! but if I were to just be a housewive, ehmmmm sad lipsrsealed embarassed undecided cry

if I were to just work, I hate it as well cause I love my house clean and spotless!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by seunnowell: 5:36pm On Jun 29, 2009
benedictac:

house wife!!! God forbid

for that alone u are confined to house wife for life! angry angry angry
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 5:52pm On Jun 29, 2009
seunnowell:

I second that motion
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by seunnowell: 6:34pm On Jun 29, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I second that motion

give me 5 wink wink
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Ejadamen(f): 8:26pm On Jun 29, 2009
Where should i start? I have been reading this thread for a while and I have come to the conclusion that a lot of females (and some males) are either unreal or just plain hypocrites.

Who ever said a housewife must sit at home and do nothing? That is a silly generalization. It's just like saying all ibo people are , lipsrsealed or all yoruba people are , lipsrsealed. Come on! Yes i agree some women sit on their butts and do nothing to contribute to the home but for goodness sake that is THEIR CHOICE. A lot of females running their mouths here saying they cannot be house wives or stay at home moms seem to me to be either unmarried or don't have kids yet and even if they do and they want to leave their kids with helps or family, again that is THEIR CHOICE. Why sit and judge?

@ Fhemmy, a child raised by a stay a home mom will not necessarily grow up clingy. Have you seen Margaret Thatcher type housewives? shocked You go fear fear. tongue

Circumstances and situations contribute to a woman becoming a housewife or stay at home mom. That does not mean they have suddenly become lesser females. A woman can be a housewife AND earn an income. It has been said over and over but some are still saying God forbid like it is a sin. Raising children no easy o! Housewife work no easy o!

But to each his own. As for me, yes i can be housewife but i must have something doing. In fact I have my own business that gives me cool money and flexible hours which is what every mother desires so she can spend time with their children and ensure they grow up properly and not MTV raising them.

@ Chaircover, you are real and make plenty sense
@ Consultant a beautiful example of a real woman who understands life and priorities change when one has kids.

Being a stay at home is not the end of the world and it is not a bad thing wink I salute all correct housewives cheesy
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by boy1(m): 6:36am On Jun 30, 2009
seunnowell:

AMEN grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 7:00am On Jun 30, 2009
Ejadamen:

Where should i start? I have been reading this thread for a while and I have come to the conclusion that a lot of females (and some males) are either unreal or just plain hypocrites.

Who ever said a housewife must sit at home and do nothing? That is a silly generalization. It's just like saying all ibo people are , lipsrsealed or all yoruba people are , lipsrsealed. Come on! Yes i agree some women sit on their butts and do nothing to contribute to the home but for goodness sake that is THEIR CHOICE. A lot of females running their mouths here saying they cannot be house wives or stay at home moms seem to me to be either unmarried or don't have kids yet and even if they do and they want to leave their kids with helps or family, again that is THEIR CHOICE. Why sit and judge?

@ Fhemmy, a child raised by a stay a home mom will not necessarily grow up clingy. Have you seen Margaret Thatcher type housewives? shocked You go fear fear. tongue

Circumstances and situations contribute to a woman becoming a housewife or stay at home mom. That does not mean they have suddenly become lesser females. A woman can be a housewife AND earn an income. It has been said over and over but some are still saying God forbid like it is a sin. Raising children no easy o! Housewife work no easy o!

But to each his own. As for me, yes i can be housewife but i must have something doing. I[b]n fact I have my own business that gives me cool money and flexible hours [/b] which is what every mother desires so she can spend time with their children and ensure they grow up properly and not MTV raising them.

@ Chaircover, you are real and make plenty sense
@ Consultant a beautiful example of a real woman who understands life and priorities change when one has kids.

Being a stay at home is not the end of the world and it is not a bad thing wink I salute all correct housewives cheesy

, Then U are not a housewife. wink
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by netotse(m): 10:08am On Jun 30, 2009
SeanT21:

i see. . .so part of the problem is the definition of housewife!. . .oya out with the dictionaries!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Ejadamen(f): 12:12pm On Jun 30, 2009
SeanT21:

What is the definition of a housewife? undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 12:28pm On Jun 30, 2009
Ejadamen:

What is the definition of a housewife? undecided

There has been some definition in couple of pages before this, so check it out there.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2009
//
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2009
The cover on the chair, thanx for reposting the definition.
May the cover never go bad jare.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Ejadamen(f): 12:45pm On Jun 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

There has been some definition in couple of pages before this, so check it out there.
I saw them before which is why i was baffled when someone said then i am not a house wife I am a typical example of housewife type 3. cheesy
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 12:47pm On Jun 30, 2009
Ejadamen:

I saw them before which is why i was baffled when someone said then i am not a house wife I am a typical example of housewife type 3. cheesy

That is beautiful and you can still contribute to the raising the best kids.
Good luck
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 30, 2009
//
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 1:03pm On Jun 30, 2009
chaircover:

Femi o tun ti bere? Youve started again grin

Like i said be4, i always gbadun you.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nezan(m): 4:56pm On Jul 01, 2009
chaircover:

This is my definition of housewife

HouseWife Type 1
Husband is very rich
She doesn't work or own a shop or do any business
Tells her husband she is going to Dubai to buy Jewellery to sell but she doesn't sell any and ends up using them herself
Rarely supervises the cook or go to the market
Doesn't do any housework
Spends day in her friends shops, at the salon, gym, shopping, gisting
Does not contribute financially to the family purse

HouseWife Type 2
Educated
Got married, fell pregnant had a baby but decided not to go back to work after the baby because she didn't trust anyone well enough to look after her "new" husband
Does not contribute to the family purse

HouseWife Type 3
Works from home e.g. Fashion designer, Hat maker, bead maker, Caterer, Writer, Runs internet business etc
Contributes to the family purse

HouseWife Type 4
"forced" to stay at home by low esteem husband who is scared that other men in the office will maul his wife; after all that's what he does to his secretary's and all those young youth corpers serving in his office
The wife is resentful & nags at the husband every other day anyway.

HouseWife Type 5
Lazy and doesn't want to work. Spends all day on the phone chatting, gossiping and causing mischief.

HouseWife Type 6
Chosen to devote her life to her family for a period of time until the kids start school and can look after themselves.
Husband doesn't earn mega bucks but she chooses to cut her coat according to her size and downsize for a number of years until she can go back to work.

HouseWife Type 7
Victim of circumstance due to illness, redundancy etc

These are all I can think of for now

grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Hauwa1: 10:22pm On Jul 01, 2009
they have a term for it where i live

Stay at home mom

or

Home Engineer

cheesy
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by seunnowell: 3:07am On Jul 02, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Stay at home mom

or

Home Engineer

cheesy
grin grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Stay at home mom

or

Home Engineer

cheesy

I like the home engineer better.
However, if they are home engineer, then, who will be refered to as home manager?
grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 1:36am On Jul 03, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I like the home engineer better.
However, if they are home engineer, then, who will be refered to as home manager?
grin

The husband I guess since he brings home all the cash!! wink
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 12:54pm On Jul 03, 2009
SeanT21:

The husband I guess since he brings home all the cash!! wink
The man will be the Home Executive director/Financier {if he is the one that provide for the home oh, cos roles could change}
So the woman will be the Home manager
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 6:08am On Jul 04, 2009
Fhemmmy:

The man will be the Home Executive director/Financier {if he is the one that provide for the home oh, cos roles could change}
So the woman will be the Home manager

wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Counsel A 5 Year Old Girl / Pictures From The Wake-Keeping Of Victims Of The NYC Car Crash / Photos Of Mother's Day Laughter & Joy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.