Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! (9110 Views)

My Roommate Is A Serious Christian, But He Smokes Weed... / If You Are A Christian, But You Don't Tithe, Do You Go To Hell? / My Friend Is a Devoted Christian But Flirts Around (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by loveth(f): 11:21am On Nov 10, 2005
It is not possible for somebody to be a christian w/o going to church.If you are not going to church,who then tell you are a christian,how do you know you are a christian.May be the person seem himself to live a holy life,that one is different.for you to call your self a christian,you must have undergone some certain stages,apart from undergoing such stages the person is just only a holy life liver in other word he is practising self righteousness and not a christian.
And remember the bible let us to understand that one should be cold or hot and not warm.Is either you be a christian or you be an idol worshipper,and not putting one leg in christiandom by calling himself a christian and also putting the other leg in idol worshipping by not going to any church.
It is never done anywhere.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 11:41am On Nov 10, 2005
@ loveth

So, I'm an idol worshipper. Cool, can you tell me which idols I worship, because I certainly don't know.

And you're also calling Muslims idol worshippers. You can say a lot about muslims, but if there's one thing they're not, it's idol worshippers. Look at Muslim art, there is no depiction of anything that can even be understood as an idol. very different from the Christian churches
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 11:43am On Nov 10, 2005
loveth:

Is either you be a christian or you be an idol worshipper,and not putting one leg in christiandom by calling himself a christian and also putting the other leg in idol worshipping by not going to any church.

grin I have an idol in my room that I bow down to every Sunday. cheesy
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 1:48pm On Nov 10, 2005
goodguy:

Yes it is.
You just said "Yes, it is". You didn't tell me why it is!

goodguy:

Are you sure you really pray in your room while others are in church?
Yes I do...and God answers!

goodguy:

What really is stoping you from going to church?

I just don't like some things they do in Church...and I feel I don't gain anything by going to church except singing in a Choir. But I can do without that, too.

goodguy:

These pastors are those representing Christ here on earth to help spread the gospel. They are otherwise known as MEN OF GOD.
I agree. I am also a WOMAN OF GOD...and I am also representing Christ here on earth. Can't you do without Pastors?

goodguy:

If you don't want to live by the doctrines of a human being, then I guess your husband (or you) will be in some real mess.

Why? What and how do you mean??

goodguy:

IAH claims to be a christian, she claims to read her Bible and yet doesn't believe in going to church?! Very ridiculous indeed! I guess vexxy has said it all. There's no point wasting our time..
What's ridiculous about it?

goodguy:

P.S. Incase y'all don't know, Wesley too doesn't believe in the existence of God. lipsrsealed

That's not News.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 6:31pm On Nov 10, 2005
IAH:

You just said "Yes, it is". You didn't tell me why it is!
I answered you the same way you asked. You said, "Is it compulsory?" and I answered, "Yes, it is." If you had asked, "Why must I go to church", I would have given you the answer u're demanding now.

IAH:

Yes I do...and God answers!
Congrats! But that shouldn't be an excuse for not going to church anyway.

IAH:

I just don't like some things they do in Church...and I feel I don't gain anything by going to church except singing in a Choir. But I can do without that, too.
If you're talking about your own church, then go to another church! There are several other denominations.. If you really want to gain something in church, you will. It all depends on you. For those of us that go to church every sunday, we know what we gain.

IAH:

I agree. I am also a WOMAN OF GOD...and I am also representing Christ here on earth.
If you are a woman of God, then you should be working in HIS VINEYARD (CHURCH).

IAH:

Can't you do without Pastors?
Why not? Look, I know where you're heading to ok? This is not a case of doing with or without a pastor. There must always be a HEAD in every place, whom you'll have no choice but to abide by his doctrines. Note that pastors are men of God and in most cases, whatever they decide is usually approved by God so who are you to say you can't live by their doctrines? (That's more or less like saying u can't obey God).

IAH:

Why? What and how do you mean??
Exactly how I said it. If you can't live by the doctrines of a human being who's meant to be head over you in church, then I doubt if you'll live by the doctrines of the human being who's meant to be head over you at home. (your husband i mean). cool

IAH:

What's ridiculous about it?
Everything is! The solution to your problem lies within you.

IAH:

That's not News.
I was making the announcement for those who aren't aware.. duhh! tongue
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 10, 2005
goodguy never loses that habit of his to criticise every little sentence in someone's post! grin cheesy
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 6:43pm On Nov 10, 2005
I don't criticize. I love making myself clear enough so no one will misjudge me. wink
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 10, 2005
if u say so
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 6:50pm On Nov 10, 2005
@IAH, concerning loveth's post, what she's simply trying to say is that God doesnt like lukewarm people. It's either you're hot or cold. It's either you're in or you're out. It's either you go to church or you go to mosque.

Capische? smiley
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 7:46pm On Nov 10, 2005
goodguy:

@IAH, concerning loveth's post, what she's simply trying to say is that God doesnt like lukewarm people. It's either you're hot or cold. It's either you're in or you're out. It's either you go to church or you go to mosque.

Capische? smiley
Yes, that's the exclusive choice one has: either a church or a mosque. What about a synagogue, a buddhist or shinto temple, a temple for Shiva, a srcular communal centre, ... ?
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by vexxy(f): 7:47pm On Nov 10, 2005
If one is a Christian, one refers to the assembly as church.

nferyn:

Yes, that's the exclusive choice one has: either a church or a mosque. What about a synagogue, a buddhist or shinto temple, a temple for Shiva, a srcular communal centre, ... ?
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 7:52pm On Nov 10, 2005
vexxy:

If one is a Christian, one refers to the assembly as church.

Why bring in a mosque then? The implication was either you're in (and go to church) or you're out (and go to the mosque). By defining the boundaries of the debate, you're determining the outcome. It's an appeal to exclusiveness.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by vexxy(f): 7:53pm On Nov 10, 2005
That you would have to ask goodguy about.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 9:45pm On Nov 10, 2005
That's because there are only 2 GODLY beliefs: Christianity and Islam. So it's either you go to a church or a mosque (if you truely believe in God).
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 9:48pm On Nov 10, 2005
goodguy:

That's because there are only 2 GODLY beliefs: Christianity and Islam. So it's either you go to a church or a mosque (if you truely believe in God).
So Judaism [b]is not [/b]a godly belief? You've got me puzzled here. Those people wrote the Torah (what Christians refer to as the old testament)
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 10:23pm On Nov 10, 2005
Goodguy, I wonder why you are being so aggressive about this issue anyway.

goodguy:

If you're talking about your own church, then go to another church! There are several other denominations.. If you really want to gain something in church, you will. It all depends on you. For those of us that go to church every sunday, we know what we gain.
I've gone to several churches before. They are all the same.
goodguy:

If you are a woman of God, then you should be working in HIS VINEYARD (CHURCH).

So are you working in HIS VINEYARD? If No, that means you are MAN OF DEVIL. Is that what you are saying?

goodguy:

Why not? Look, I know where you're heading to ok? This is not a case of doing with or without a pastor. There must always be a HEAD in every place, whom you'll have no choice but to abide by his doctrines. Note that pastors are men of God and in most cases, whatever they decide is usually approved by God so who are you to say you can't live by their doctrines? (That's more or less like saying u can't obey God).

About that statement in bold, what a big mistake you are making there! The scales would soon fall off your eyes.

goodguy:

Exactly how I said it. If you can't live by the doctrines of a human being who's meant to be head over you in church, then I doubt if you'll live by the doctrines of the human being who's meant to be head over you at home. (your husband i mean). cool
This is not a worthy comparison. I don't love the Pastors but I love my husband.
goodguy:

Everything is! The solution to your problem lies within you.

Yes, and the solution to your own problem lies within you too.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 11:41pm On Nov 10, 2005
IAH:

I've gone to several churches before. They are all the same.
Impossible! All can never be the same. You are the one who keeps finding faults with every church you go. No wonder you don't gain anything from them. (...busy lookin for faults tongue)

IAH:

So are you working in HIS VINEYARD? If No, that means you are MAN OF DEVIL. Is that what you are saying?
Pastors are those referred to as MEN/SERVANTS OF GOD. I am not a man of God. You are the one who claimed to be a WOMAN OF GOD so you should be the one working in the VINEYARD. Everyone cannot be a MAN OF GOD, which of course does not make them MEN OF DEVIL.

IAH:

About that statement in bold, what a big mistake you are making there! The scales would soon fall off your eyes.
Seems you didn't read well. I said, "In most cases, (not all cases) whatever they decide is usually (not always) approved by God. And for your info, there are no scales in my eyes. You are the one who needs to clear the scales off your eyes. You claim to be a christian and read your bible regularly, yet u don't find any reason to go to church?

IAH:

This is not a worthy comparison. I don't love the Pastors but I love my husband.
It's not a matter of loving your husband or the pastor. Will you say that you won't obey your boss in your place of work all because he's not your husband? rolleyes

IAH:

Yes, and the solution to your own problem lies within you too.
I don't have any problems. You are the one who has the problems, that was why you had to start this topic.. abi i lie?

IAH:

Goodguy, I wonder why you are being so aggressive about this issue anyway.
I am not being aggressive ok? You were the first to start quoting me sentence by sentence and I'm simply doing the same too.. shebi we are trying to clarify things here abi? wink
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 8:01am On Nov 11, 2005
goodguy:

I don't have any problems. You are the one who has the problems, that was why you had to start this topic.. abi i lie?

It's no point arguing with someone that thinks he has no problems. I have a name for people like you but let me just reserve it.tongue But you know the one with the greatest problem is the one who thinks he has none...because he can't even identify his problems not to talk of tackling them.

1 Like

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 9:17am On Nov 11, 2005
IAH:

It's no point arguing with someone that thinks he has no problems.
Neither do I think there's any point arguing with someone who knows she has a problem.

IAH:

I have a name for people like you but let me just reserve it.tongue
Go ahead, call me names if you wish. I charge no offenses to that. wink

IAH:

But you know the one with the greatest problem is the one who thinks he has none...because he can't even identify his problems not to talk of tackling them.
I thought we're posting comments based on this topic. And based on this topic, I absolutely have no problems.. (of course everyone in life has one problem or the other ...duhh! tongue)
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 10:48am On Nov 11, 2005
goodguy:

Neither do I think there's any point arguing with someone who knows she has a problem.
Go ahead, call me names if you wish. I charge no offenses to that. wink
I thought we're posting comments based on this topic. And based on this topic, I absolutely have no problems.. (of course everyone in life has one problem or the other ...duhh! tongue)

Olodo tongue tongue tongue
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by owo(m): 5:24pm On Nov 11, 2005
I know one soldier who is a Colonel in the Army...
He does not belong to any battallion, armoured brigade, catonement, corp etc etc ....yet he is a soldier. He works directly with/for the comander-in-chief (c-in-c) of the armed forces.
He does not report to any superior officer other than the c-in-c.
He receives his salary dirctly from the hand of the c-in-c, though there is a department created for the purpose of handling his salary issues.
During war time he has takes orders only from the c-in-c, though there are Generals that have been designated by the C-in-C to give him orders.
He does not go to the Military hospital when wounded at battle.... he goes to the C-in-C's office for his healing.

The name of this soldier is ........ the person that does not belong to a church, body of fellow belivers, congregation or whatever name it can be called.

Though there are many things that we may not like in Church... Nevertheless, God had placed them in this world as one of the most important avenues through which He passes his Word, grace, comfort, punishment, blessings, favour etc etc.

It is wise not to neglect it... you do it at your own peril. It does not remove anything from God neither does it diminish who He is.

Think
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 6:28pm On Nov 11, 2005
IAH:

Olodo tongue tongue tongue
Thanks OMOWE.. grin grin

owo:

Though there are many things that we may not like in Church... Nevertheless, God had placed them in this world as one of the most important avenues through which He passes his Word, grace, comfort, punishment, blessings, favour etc etc.

It is wise not to neglect it... you do it at your own peril. It does not remove anything from God neither does it diminish who He is.

Think
Now this is what I call WORD!
@IAH, I hope you find this piece very helpful. wink
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Ka: 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2005
I know one soldier who is a Colonel in the Army...
He does not belong to any battallion, armoured brigade, catonement, corp etc etc ....yet he is a soldier. He works directly with/for the comander-in-chief (c-in-c) of the armed forces.
He does not report to any superior officer other than the c-in-c.
He receives his salary dirctly from the hand of the c-in-c, though there is a department created for the purpose of handling his salary issues.
During war time he has takes orders only from the c-in-c, though there are Generals that have been designated by the C-in-C to give him orders.
He does not go to the Military hospital when wounded at battle.... he goes to the C-in-C's office for his healing.
That soldier is one smart dude. He doesn't waste his time with subordinates when he can get deluxe treatment from the Head Honcho himself. smiley

1 Like

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 8:42pm On Nov 11, 2005
Ka:

That soldier is one smart dude. He doesn't waste his time with subordinates when he can get deluxe treatment from the Head Honcho himself. smiley

Ka, I'm loving you right now. cheesy
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by adesodgi(m): 9:24pm On Nov 11, 2005
i learnt some dont believe in God,is it magic that dey go to sleep without know wen,and do dey believe wakin up is by their might?
shit,i said it-some people need help,God help us all....
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by vexxy(f): 9:27pm On Nov 11, 2005
So are you insinuating that the Body of Christ are just subordinates?  That doesn't sound quite right.  

What ever happened to "Am I My Brother's Keeper?"  Because you are.  

Even God, in Genesis, says for it is not good for man to be alone so he created woman (hence where two or three are gathered; not where one is gathered).  Hum. . . .

If you really want to be technical: God Himself is three in one.  Trinity.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 9:43pm On Nov 11, 2005
Vexxy pls tell them!! cheesy
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by owo(m): 9:20am On Nov 12, 2005
A wise workman uses his tools while a foolish one blames his tools for his failures...

God in his wisdom has "...given some to be apostles,some prophets, some evangelists,some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints...for the edifying of the body......,till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man... that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro... by the trickery of men..., but speaking the truth in love" (emphases ...mine) eph4;11-15

None of these gifts can be properly exercised outside the Church environment neither can the benefits (stated) be fully harnessed/received/applied without recourse to this same environment or body.

Think again and take the wise choice.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by loveth(f): 12:37pm On Nov 12, 2005
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I don't call any body an idol worshipper pleaseeeeeeeee
pleaseeeeeeeeee don't misunderstand me pleaseeeeeeeee
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 6:26pm On Nov 12, 2005
@OWO, thanks for the message. I hope she finds it helpful.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 1:32am On Nov 13, 2005
loveth:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I don't call any body an idol worshipper pleaseeeeeeeee
pleaseeeeeeeeee don't misunderstand me pleaseeeeeeeee

That's cool, just try to be a little less easy to minsunderstand next time wink
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by allonym: 10:17pm On Nov 13, 2005
If we're defining a church as an assembly of christians, then one does not need to have a pastor to have a church. That being the case, there is nobody to "subordinate" yourself to. If you choose to be a part of a church that has a pastor, by definition, you are accepting his/her leadership. So, there are no inconsistencies with either view.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South African Church Where Pastor Strips Members During Prayer (PHOTO) / Popular Present Day Pastors U Know Found In Hell By Divine Revelation / 6 Signs Of A Toxic 'Apostle'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.