Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima (20760 Views)

The North Is Playing Into Igbo Trap, They Will Lose More If The Igbos Leave. / Corpse Of Gov. Shettima's Aide Who Died In Fatal Accident Arrives Borno(pics) / Farouk Farouk Dies In Accident Involving Shettima's Convoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by MXrep: 1:22pm On Jan 16, 2016
realjoker:
yes but except one!! SE
LOl, we are talking about poverty, not federal presence

6 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by orisa37: 1:24pm On Jan 16, 2016
Shettima invented the subterfuge called "Chibox Girls".

3 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by arewaempire: 1:35pm On Jan 16, 2016
mazzi:
Even after buhari won election? I thought he would end your poverty as a president from north?

As much as you hate to hear, Buhari is a true and great Nationalist who would reduce poverty not only in the North, but the entire country.
Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by arewaempire: 1:37pm On Jan 16, 2016
emmyclassic:
But these places you mentioned are far better than the north

My friend, travel out to cure your ignorance.
Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by 9ja4live: 1:47pm On Jan 16, 2016
imhotep:

LMAO
There is nothing wrong with having a large population.

Ok feed them and provide jobs for them. Simple

6 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by anedo71: 1:47pm On Jan 16, 2016
This is the problem of the north., lack of education. The rate of illiteracy in the north is so alarming that one wonders if truely there is democratic government in the northern part of Nigeria. In one of my write ups on my Facebook account about the I once said that the problems of the northern region of this country will never be solved with the calibers of politicians parading themselves as leaders are not done away with. No single governor or minister is thinking for the well being of their people but of their own pocket. Presently I'm in Taraba state, the way of life in this state is so worrisome. You can see a well defined going man but to speak simple pidgin English he will simply tell u "ba turenchi". U will begin to wonder why on earth a grown up man like couldn't speak pidgin English which is commonest language in Nigeria. No development anywhere ,. If the leaders of this region can stop syphoning money meant for the development of their region and focus on educational development, agricultural development, infractural development, a must-go to school policy the better for them.

9 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by mazzi: 1:51pm On Jan 16, 2016
arewaempire:

As much as you hate to hear, Buhari is a true and great Nationalist who would reduce poverty not only in the North, but the entire country.

buhari is a...? Don't tell me nonsense.

6 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by arewaempire: 2:03pm On Jan 16, 2016
mazzi:
buhari is a...? Don't tell me nonsense.

If you think I'm lying, ask Jim Nwobodo.
Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by emmyclassic(m): 2:04pm On Jan 16, 2016
arewaempire:

My friend, travel out to cure your ignorance.
Lol.. Tho there r beautiful places in the North, but wen it comes to extreme poverty na north carry first my brother. I worked in the north.

10 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by nwadiuko1(m): 2:10pm On Jan 16, 2016
hurricaneChris:
Taraaba state is bigger than Holland in land mass, yet Holland exports Agric produce more than ANY COUNTRY in the world. Your start wondering why the poverty rate in north is amazing.

Mr Gov, your people in the past (even now) have placed religion(Islam) above anything in their society, including their lives, welfare and development. Thanks to their wicked leaders.

The northen Nigeria is a center of learning for every preventable disease in africa. Call it Polio, VVF Meningitis etc. These damn diseases are preventable. Religion made your people reject polio vaccine until it started hitting u people bad. Child marriage which is approved by your religion, has been linked to Obstetric Fistula also known as VVF. Mehnn, thats blantant wickedness.

Until the root of the problems, which is blind followership among your on the doctrines of Islam, then these problems can NEVER be solved in near future.

1 Like

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by LordAdam: 2:11pm On Jan 16, 2016
jmoore:
Nothing new, it has always been like that.

To give birth to kids you cannot adequately take care of is wickedness.

Let me add to that. It is a crime against humanity.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by arewaempire: 2:18pm On Jan 16, 2016
emmyclassic:
Lol.. Tho there r beautiful places in the North, but wen it comes to extreme poverty na north carry first my brother. I served in the north.

Does poverty in the North make it less beautiful than the East?

We have over the years acknowledged this fact, and efforts are made to avert the trend. By the time we get on our feet, owing to the enormous human and natural resources cool, we shall be the envy of all.

Meanwhile, enjoy your over developed East. wink
Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by Vulu: 2:25pm On Jan 16, 2016
KEEP HAVING DISEASES KIDS ALL OVER THE PLACE. THERE IS NO JONA TO BLAME.AND SOON THERE WILL BE 'OYEL' FOR THEM TO DRINK.

4 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by sorepco(m): 3:27pm On Jan 16, 2016
No mind di idiot...h

LadydExcellency:
There is no difference between people in Niger Republic and to some extent Chadians in religion, culture etc, so said Kwankwaso the former Governor of Kano State.

The question then becomes, how is this acclaimed increase in population of Northern Nigeria in ratio so disproportionate to that of their neighbours in Chad and Nigeria Republic?

How true is the assertion by Gov. Shettima that 70% of Nigerians is (will be) living in the North as forecast?

2 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by kayfra: 3:33pm On Jan 16, 2016
Finally realizing you can't solely read the Koran to prosperity. Until the North largely eschew the Arabic way of life and adopt islam like it's practiced in Indonesia, Malaysia and Turkey, will they see any meaningful progress.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by PaulJohn1: 3:49pm On Jan 16, 2016
9ja4live:

Ok feed them and provide jobs for them. Simple

Huge population is a blessing if those in government know how to manage it. You think Germany(most populous EU nation) opened its borders to refugees for charity sake or one humanitarian blabla... that they gave as reason? lol.
Examples of reasonable management of huge population is China and Japan.

1 Like

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by Lobolintin(m): 4:39pm On Jan 16, 2016
Unah never see something

1 Like

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by sukkot: 4:39pm On Jan 16, 2016
no sh-it. to let ndigbo tell it - the east is the most maligned part of nigeria
Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by MXrep: 4:40pm On Jan 16, 2016
arewaempire:

Does poverty in the North make it less beautiful than the East?

We have over the years acknowledged this fact, and efforts are made to avert the trend. By the time we get on our feet, owing to the enormous human and natural resources cool, we shall be the envy of all.

Meanwhile, enjoy your over developed East. wink
The so called beauty is the reason why poverty is widespread because the elites build only the city center where less than 10% live and allow the rest of their state to perish.

5 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 16, 2016
True.
I dont know why d north is lazy. I would hv said it is because of islam. But when i look at Turkey a muslim country with high productivity with little natural resources, i begin to remove d blame from islam.

1 Like

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
vivalavida:
The Northern States Governors Forum has said it is the responsiblity of Northern leaders to find opportunities for the people of the North.

This statement was made by Borno Governor, Kashim Shettima, the Chairman of the Forum whilst speaking on the issue of poverty during the 50th anniversary of the death of the late Premier of the north, Sir Ahmadu Bello.
Shettima said, “Unemployment in the north is extremely high. Nigeria is a country of two nations, the South is much more stable and prosperous, the north on the other hand is in a poverty trap. In Nigeria, poverty wears a northern cap, if you are looking for a poor man, get somebody wearing a northern cap.”

“Sardauna was a leader of his own generation and every generation come up with its own style of leader. Sardauna did remarkably well for the North and for the nation, our duty, especially for those of us in the North is in our interest to invest in the people.

“Nigeria’s population will double in the next 23 years. By 2020, Nigeria’s population will be around 210 million. By 2030, there will be about 270million Nigerians and by 2050, when old men like me might not be around, the population will be around 440million.

“By then, we will be the third most populous nation on earth and most importantly, 70% of the population will be living in Northern Nigeria. Deforestation, desertification, joblessness, hopelessness, illetracy, unemployment, low access to health facilities are all recepies for disaster.

“It is in our enlightened self interest as northern leaders to invest in the people, to invest in agriculture, to create jobs because, there is a direct correlation with endemic poverty and most of the crisis threatening the north,” he added.

http://www.theheraldng.com/the-north-is-a-poverty-trap-northern-governors-forum-seek-solutions/?utm_source=dlvr.it_nnd&utm_medium=twitter
Shettima the Borno dull@rd should be impeached for gross INCOMPETENCE and CLUELESSNESS.

2 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by rayobaba(m): 4:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
Chai... All I read na "poverty wears a northern cap"
True talk sha, I know this wen I did my nysc camp for north.
North people are...... Make I go bath, I will be back.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 16, 2016
vivalavida:
In Nigeria, poverty wears a northern cap, if you are looking for a poor man, get somebody wearing a northern cap.”

“Sardauna was a leader of his own generation and every generation come up with its own style of leader. Sardauna did remarkably well for the North and for the nation, our duty, especially for those of us in the North is in our interest to invest in the people.

[flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHDaHlTaHJw
[/flash]
Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by quickly: 4:49pm On Jan 16, 2016
vivalavida:
The Northern States Governors Forum has said it is the responsiblity of Northern leaders to find opportunities for the people of the North.

This statement was made by Borno Governor, Kashim Shettima, the Chairman of the Forum whilst speaking on the issue of poverty during the 50th anniversary of the death of the late Premier of the north, Sir Ahmadu Bello.
Shettima said, “Unemployment in the north is extremely high. Nigeria is a country of two nations, the South is much more stable and prosperous, the north on the other hand is in a poverty trap. In Nigeria, poverty wears a northern cap, if you are looking for a poor man, get somebody wearing a northern cap.”

“Nigeria’s population will double in the next 23 years. By 2020, Nigeria’s population will be around 210 million. By 2030, there will be about 270million Nigerians and by 2050, when old men like me might not be around, the population will be around 440million.

“By then, we will be the third most populous nation on earth and most importantly, 70% of the population will be living in Northern Nigeria. Deforestation, desertification, joblessness, hopelessness, illetracy, unemployment, low access to health facilities are all recepies for disaster.

“It is in our enlightened self interest as northern leaders to invest in the people, to invest in agriculture, to create jobs because, there is a direct correlation with endemic poverty and most of the crisis threatening the north,” he added.

http://www.theheraldng.com/the-north-is-a-poverty-trap-northern-governors-forum-seek-solutions/?utm_source=dlvr.it_nnd&utm_medium=twitter

there honest problem is islam and its a complex problem

2 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by TruthHurts1(m): 4:50pm On Jan 16, 2016
Images that come to mind when the north is mentioned:

intolerance, ignorance, backwardness, religious-extremism, poverty, underdevelopment, inequality, child-mariage, gender discrimination,jungle justice, fulani menace, boko haram, terrorism, low school enrolment, illiteracy, hunger, disease, street begging as a way of life, general under-achievement etc etc

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by lilygabriel08: 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2016
all the years of looting by the northern political elite and they did nothing for their people

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by K9blunt(f): 4:52pm On Jan 16, 2016
phantonce:
The population stat is unimaginable and ridiculous.

There is no way we would reach that population by 2050 with our low life expectancy and high mortality rate.

Ogami do you know how many children are being born in Nigeria not to talk of the north?
Check the beggers around you, you go bow o.
These northern people multiply like mathematics.

6 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 16, 2016
lilygabriel08:
all the years of looting by the northern political elite and they did nothing for their people
They need more oil blocs grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by lilygabriel08: 4:53pm On Jan 16, 2016
quid:

[flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHDaHlTaHJw
[/flash]
this man is one of the worst the north has produced, hes tribalistic views are too disturbing but sorry to say we still have the same narrow minded people on this forum today

8 Likes

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by kobonaire(m): 4:54pm On Jan 16, 2016
Corruption, overpopulation, poor education and a culture of depending on handouts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 16, 2016
K9blunt:

Ogami do you know how many children are being born in Nigeria not to talk of the north?
Check the beggers around you, you go bow o.
These northern people multiply like mathematics.

Do they give birth that much?

1 Like

Re: ''The North Is A Poverty Trap'' - Shettima by kraftykc(m): 4:56pm On Jan 16, 2016
phantonce:
The population stat is unimaginable and ridiculous.

There is no way we would reach that population by 2050 with our low life expectancy and high mortality rate.

It is only northerners that see begging has an occupation.....imagine

I like how you determined that the statistics are wrong from sitting on your couch. FYI, those stats are perfectly correct and given by the UN. Dey there dey dull. Our population is set to explode and like 70% of that growth is from the North. Stats like these scare me to honestly leave this country for good.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Discos, Gencos Bringing Shame To Govt – Fashola / Ali Madaki Orders The Arrest Of Two Men For Criticizing Him On Facebook / Kano Emirate: Sanusi Loses As Court Rules In Favour Of Ganduje, PCACC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.