Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? (13546 Views)

How I Caught My Cheating Wife / Why Nigerian Men Hardly Forgive A Cheating Woman / "Deny Your Husband Sex" - Leaked Chats Of A Cheating Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 9:55am On Jan 17, 2016
Richy4:
It is Not a country thing... all over the world, no one like a cheating partner... some women grudgingly forgive not because they are the forgiven type but because they are financially challenged... The man is the bread winner of the house... how will she manage on her own especially with kids.....?

But in advanced countries the Law made it quite easy for the ladies when it comes to separations... ... They will take half of what the man has... on top of that, the man will pay welfare for the kids weekly or monthly depending on his wages until the kid turns 18.

Not that African women forgives, the law was not favourable to them....
you have made valid points. Women are getting wiser per day, they now financially empower themselves. cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 9:57am On Jan 17, 2016
McSquishi:

The rule books were written by insecure men. Insecure men are intimidated by the idea their woman will find other men attractive, but also they're so insecure that they look for as many women as possible to validate their manliness.

My hubby told me of his hometown tradition that a cheating woman will kill her kids if she sleeps with her husband anytime after cheating. I asked what happens when the man cheats... of course it was nothing! I mean, if that's not clearly created by men for men...

Men might try to use religion or evolution to explain it, that's all bs. There is nothing religious about stepping outside of your relationship/marriage. And there is no evolutionary se.x craving gene that men possess & women don't. The truth of the matter is that cheating is just a sign of ones bad character.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Good morning smiley

Just that I don't think that the truth is bitter. smiley

Night for me, but morning to ya smiley

This is absolutely true....
We have been brainwashed into believing that we can only love and desire one person and we should be doing so for the rest of our lives when in fact our natural inclination is a different one.

So, I do think it bitter, especially times I ponder the long term.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 9:59am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

No, it isn't. You may want to call it a character flaw but I cannot agree that it means that someone's character is bad.
semantics! Character flaw, bad character... what's the difference in context ?? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jan 17, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

Night for me, but morning to ya smiley

Yeah, right. Whatever time of the day / night, have the best of it. wink

This is absolutely true....

So, I do think it bitter. Especially, when I ponder the long term.

There are millions of people who desire a monogamous relationship and stability. If this is what you want, go for it.
I don't believe it is a bitter truth that many people desire something else. It is diversity that makes life interesting and gives us many different options to choose from.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 10:04am On Jan 17, 2016
cheesy cheesy this is the silliest reason i've ever known for a cheating man. My Goodness!! And who told you the women are not polygamous in nature? Who told you the women don't want varieties of d!cks to ride on per day? You've never been a woman so you won't know. I'm a woman and I can tell u women crave varieties too like men (if not more than) but women still find it easy to nip it in the bud. It's more of a society thing where if feels "cool" and normal to cheat on an already suppressed woman. God have mercy
chydel:
Because we are polygamous in culture

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:09am On Jan 17, 2016
MsGlobalwonder:
semantics! Character flaw, bad character... what's the difference in context ?? undecided

If my husband is a loving and caring father, a supportive partner, an understanding person, generous and has a great sense of humor and then along the way cheats on me, then I will be wrong in saying that he is a bad husband based on one incident that discounts everything else he has done for me and the family. That's the difference.

I cannot deny all his other wonderful qualities and focus on one mistake and judge him entirely based on that.

If my child steals chewing gum, then I will label this behavior bad but will not say that I have a bad child that may otherwise be very polite, good at school, helpful and considerate. That's the difference.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Yeah, right. Whatever time of the day / night, have the best of it. wink

There are millions of people who desire a monogamous relationship and stability. If this is what you want, go for it.
I don't believe it is a bitter truth that many people desire something else. It is diversity that makes life interesting and gives us many different options to choose from.

But to think that it's an incredibly flimsy concept in and of itself, even for those who do want it. To want and love someone, but then to naturally want others beside him/her as well and to willfully struggle against that. It sounds like a bitter truth (and a rather bitter existence to me), lol.

But then why are people such jealous creatures? It seems to me the only human emotion that lacks purpose. The only human emotion that is utterly and completely useless.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 17, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

But to think that it's an incredibly flimsy concept in and of itself, even for those who do want it. To want and love someone, but then to naturally want others beside him/her as well and to willfully struggle against that. It sounds like a bitter truth (and a rather bitter existence to me), lol.

It is a flimsy concept because people accept it without questioning it and hence do not go for it truly based on what works for them but on what society has set up for them. However, not everyone in a monogamous relationship struggles. There are people who are perfectly ok, happy and fulfilled with one partner only.

But then why are people such jealous creatures? It seems to me the only human emotion that lacks purpose. The only human emotion that is utterly and completely useless.

Jealousy is the result of insecurity and the need to have someone else validating your worthiness. It is also the result of a (meanwhile almost global) society that tells people that true love is exclusive.

[size=3pt]It is fun having this conversation with you. Don't leave. I have a lot of work to do today and will spend the day at the writing desk so nice conversations are a welcomed distraction and not many people here have the ability to think outside the box.[/size] cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by mostyg(m): 10:31am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

@bold

Because ...

- they want to have their cake and eat it
- one of the partners has let him-/herself go and is no longer sexually appealing
- one of the spouses has a decreased libido and does no longer satisfy the other one
- the spark is gone
- for fun of tasting the forbidden fruit
- some people discover that they are polygamous in nature some years into the marriage
- the marriage is frustrating
- someone else is willing to give them something they miss
- one of the spouses has a fetish s/he cannot live out in the marriage
- they have an opportunity to do so without being caught
- they do not consider it morally wrong
- they can
- they married their spouse for wrong reasons
- they feel neglected and unloved
- to take revenge

Na wa ooo. What a long list of reasons?

I understand you only gave some reasons people who cheats give and in no way trying to support infidelity in marriages

Now that we know the reasons, are these reasons justifiable?

If one has taken a vow to be faithful to his/her other half for better and for worse, no reason would justify infidelity.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by HaneefahRN(f): 10:35am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

I wouldn't call it queer behavior.

Maybe you should stay true to yourself and re-consider whether a monogamous relationship is your preference instead of beating up on yourself to fit into societal conventions, which do not do yourself and they way you are any justice.

We have been brainwashed into believing that we can only love and desire one person and we should be doing so for the rest of our lives when in fact our natural inclination is a different one.
So u shld be able to accept and forgive ur wife readily when she exhibit such trait while trying nt to conform wt societal values

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 17, 2016
mostyg:

Na wa ooo. What a long list of reasons?

I understand you only gave some reasons people who cheats give and in no way trying to support infidelity in marriages

Exactly! At least one person who understand that I am not judging nor justifying anything. I am seeking understanding.

Now that we know the reasons, are these reasons justifiable?

I wouldn't necessarily say justifiable but understandable.

If one has taken a vow to be faithful to his/her other half for better and for worse, no reason would justify infidelity.

That is the problem. People should not make such vows in the first place grin
It is pretty delusional to promise someone that you will love and want them the same for the rest of your life. You can have such intentions and that may be your desire but you can NEVER know if you will be able to keep such a promise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 17, 2016
HaneefahRN:

So u shld be able to accept and forgive ur wife readily when she exhibit such trait while trying nt to conform wt societal values

I don't have a wife. Can I forgive cheating? Yes, I can!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by EfemenaXY: 10:41am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Why are you so shocked? tongue

I was "shocked" at your brazenness.

(Sigh) wish I could join you lot in this conversation. Just got way too much to do. cry

I need me some "me time"...
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by HaneefahRN(f): 10:43am On Jan 17, 2016
ronald4lif:
I don't think I can forgive a cheating wife. Mbanu.

But I'm hoping to be forgiven if erred. Too many ravishing and alluring women out there to be moored by one.

Onwe kwa ka odi na nwoke ka ne eri nani ofe egusi till onwuo. Ari ka ta egusi erienu ofe ogbono, o nwe di nu ka ana eme. Didn't say anything sha, just passing.
So u want to do unto others what u can't accept?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:44am On Jan 17, 2016
EfemenaXY:

I was "shocked" at your brazenness.

I thought I was notorious for being brazen. cool tongue smiley

(Sigh) wish I could join you lot in this conversation. Just got way too much to do. cry

Just do it! wink I have been missing you a lot.

I need me some "me time"...

I am sitting at my writing desk and will be sitting here for more hours than necessary just because I like the distraction that NL is. cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by HaneefahRN(f): 10:45am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

I don't have a wife. Can I forgive cheating? Yes, I can!
Good. But I don't pray u marry a chronic cheat
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 17, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Good.
But I don't pray u marry a chronic cheat

Because?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by EfemenaXY: 10:52am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

I thought I was notorious for being brazen. cool tongue smiley

Just do it! wink I have been missing you a lot.

I am sitting at my writing desk and will be sitting here for more hours than necessary just because I like the distraction that NL is. cheesy

Shocked, in quotes. wink

Miss you too, but can't. sad

Been meaning to ask you, how do you grow (not sure "emotionally" is the right word to use), to the point where you're physically able to exert enough power over your mind to control your levels of happiness? i.e. The determination not to let external factors / people get you down by adopting the concept: I / you are in in full control of my / your happiness?

Aside from always remembering / constantly reminding yourself to do so?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by mostyg(m): 10:54am On Jan 17, 2016
I personally believe that most people do not get caught at the first time. If a woman/man is caught cheating, thats probably not the first time.
I also believe that "What is worth doing once is worth doing everytime".

I cant imagine my wife cheating on me but I doubt forgiving he.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 17, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Shocked, in quotes. wink

Miss you too, but can't. sad

Been meaning to ask you, how do you grow (not sure "emotionally" is the right word to use), to the point where you're physically able to exert enough power over your mind to control your levels of happiness? i.e. The determination not to let external factors / people get you down by adopting the concept: I / you are in in full control of my / your happiness?

This is my favorite topic. cheesy

Mediation is the magic word in this context. Learn to quiet your mind first. This will enable you to control your thoughts in the next step and it is important because your thoughts determine your mood. Once you have learned to quiet your mind and control your thoughts, you will think in a way that feels good to you and this will determine your mood.

I can't live without meditation. I do it every day for 15-30 minutes. It is very easy. Sit down comfortably, set an alarm clock and pay attention to your breathing. Your mind will wander off again and again. This is normal and ok, especially in the beginning. Each time you notice it has wandered off, bring your attention back to your breathing. You will notice that you relax when you quiet your mind and life will become much easier. Pay attention to the moments where thoughts are absent. It is sensational.

It is a beautiful journey and extremely empowering. kiss
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by HaneefahRN(f): 11:23am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Because?
Did tht come out wrong? I pray u marry one then, so u'll av alot of forgiving to do or u cld simply look d other way while he or she goes abt their business, moving from yellow to black and in btw.
U're female, ryt? I like the way u don't seem to care, but make sure he buys and uses condoms wt his gfs or u cld get them for him so he doesn't get u infected wt STIs
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 17, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Did tht come out wrong? I pray u marry one then, so u'll av alot of forgiving to do or u cld simply look d other way while he or she goes abt their business, moving from yellow to black and in btw.
U're female, ryt? I like the way u don't seem to care, but make sure he buys and uses condoms wt his gfs or u cld get them for him so he doesn't get u infected wt STIs

You conclude too much. Who told you I wasn't married? And why do you think I would marry a slowpoke who doesn't know that he has a responsibility to protect himself and me when cheating?

Thanks for your prayers but I doubt you would pray on my behalf and that's why I asked why you would pray for me at all?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by HaneefahRN(f): 11:42am On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

You conclude too much. Who told you I wasn't married? And why do you think I would marry a slowpoke who doesn't know that he has a responsibility to protect himself and me when cheating?

Thanks for your prayers but I doubt you would pray on my behalf and that's why I asked why you would pray for me at all?

Alryt. I sincerely prayed for u. I lost a close family friend and her new born baby to HIV/AIDs late last yr, she contracted it from her husband, the man was a known adulterer, he probably didn't use protection just once or d protection failed. Tht woman and tht poor baby lost their lives to his recklessness, he incidentally isn't dead nw, he is on treatment.
So when I made tht prayer, I was serious

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 17, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Alryt. I sincerely prayed for u. I lost a close family friend and her new born baby to HIV/AIDs late last yr, she contracted it from her husband, the man was a known adulterer, he probably didn't use protection just once or d protection failed. Tht woman and tht poor baby lost their lives to his recklessness, he incidentally isn't dead nw, he is on treatment.
So when I made tht prayer, I was serious

Sorry for your loss and thank you for your prayers.

However, my opinion says nothing about the life I live, the marriage I have and my husband's behavior. And chances are higher that I die in a road accident than from STDs. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Not that we can but we should , of course we find attractive numerous people we come by everyday and with it comes the desire to have sex but we have to control our urges and desires , that is one area which distinguishes us from other lower animals. If a man requires absolute fidelity from his partner then she deserves the same.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

It is a flimsy concept because people accept it without questioning it and hence do not go for it truly based on what works for them but on what society has set up for them. However, not everyone in a monogamous relationship struggles. There are people who are perfectly ok, happy and fulfilled with one partner only.

I know that. But I feel the vast majority of people aren't happy with the status quo, yet still gravitate toward it and desire it especially on the part of their partners ('cuz jealousy). I've heard so many stories of married people I know whose sex lives are, like, dead. They're young. 3-7 years in and though they care about each other and have families, they're already fed up with each other sexually. My sister before she got divorced (she's remarried now), would visibly cringe when her ex-husband would so much touch her on the shoulder for no reason she could put into words. That's freakin' scary. I wonder if that could happen to me.

Poly friends seem to have healthier relationships, but their lifestyle is markedly more risque and high-risk. Still, IDK, but a big part of me thinks monogamy just isn't sustainable, and I wonder sometimes.

Jealousy is the result of insecurity and the need to have someone else validating your worthiness. It is also the result of a (meanwhile almost global) society that tells people that true love is exclusive.
[size=3pt]It is fun having this conversation with you. Don't leave. I have a lot of work to do today and will spend the day at the writing desk so nice conversations are a welcomed distraction and not many people here have the ability to think outside the box.[/size] cheesy

Yeah, but have you noticed how anger, sadness, happiness, etc, and every other human emotion known to man has some discernable purpose, except jealousy?

[size=3pt]No problem. [/size]
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

This is my favorite topic. cheesy

Mediation is the magic word in this context. Learn to quiet your mind first. This will enable you to control your thoughts in the next step and it is important because your thoughts determine your mood. Once you have learned to quiet your mind and control your thoughts, you will think in a way that feels good to you and this will determine your mood.

I can't live without meditation. I do it every day for 15-30 minutes
. It is very easy. Sit down comfortably, set an alarm clock and pay attention to your breathing. Your mind will wander off again and again. This is normal and ok, especially in the beginning. Each time you notice it has wandered off, bring your attention back to your breathing. You will notice that you relax when you quiet your mind and life will become much easier. Pay attention to the moments where thoughts are absent. It is sensational.

It is a beautiful journey and extremely empowering. kiss

Hmm. I haven't been able to accomplish this at all. Either my body is active, my mind is, or both. I enjoy yoga, swimming, and aerial silks for winding down and getting rid of excess energy/keeping myself in shape, but I can't, for the life of me, keep still long enough to meditate.

When and how did you start?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by McSquishi(f): 1:13pm On Jan 17, 2016
You're arguing things that were never in contention. Earlier I already said that showing bad character does not mean someone is a totally "bad" person. Showing bad character and being "a bad character" are two different phrases. The former is the phrase I used, the latter you attribute to me but I never said. I can't continue to make the same clarification.

Being a cheater is bad... You don't even agree w/ that statement thus as I stated earlier, it's pointless having this discussion as we'll never see eye to eye on this.

Mindfulness:

You made the following statement:

And I disagree here because someone may cheat and still be a wonderful person otherwise.

Here we go again. There is a HUGE difference between saying that cheating is bad and saying that a cheater is a bad person.

Since we all have character flaws, we are all bad people according to your logic.

No, it isn't.

Have you ever lied in your life? I am sure you have. Lying is bad so you are a bad character, aren't you?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 17, 2016
neoapocalypse:

Not that we can but we should , of course we find attractive numerous people we come by everyday and with it comes the desire to have sex but we have to control our urges and desires , that is one area which distinguishes us from other lower animals.

Why should we stick to one partner?

I don't think everyone feels the urge to sleep with everyone they feel attracted to. Moreover, what you said about animals there is wrong!
My female dog would only allow males come closer when she was fertile and some animals only have s.ex when they are ready to procreate. Humans don't.

If a man requires absolute fidelity from his partner then she deserves the same.

This is for each couple to decide.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 17, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

I know that. But I feel the vast majority of people aren't happy with the status quo, yet still gravitate toward it and desire it especially on the part of their partners ('cuz jealousy). I've heard so many stories of married people I know whose sex lives are, like, dead. They're young. 3-7 years in and though they care about each other and have families, they're already fed up with each other sexually. My sister before she got divorced (she's remarried now), would visibly cringe when her ex-husband would so much touch her on the shoulder for no reason she could put into words. That's freakin' scary. I wonder if that could happen to me.

Poly friends seem to have healthier relationships, but their lifestyle is markedly more risque and high-risk. Still, IDK, but a big part of me thinks monogamy just isn't sustainable, and I wonder sometimes.

I see you have enough life experience so that you don't argue like a teenager. grin

Yeah, but have you noticed how anger, sadness, happiness, etc, and every other human emotion known to man has some discernable purpose, except jealousy?

All emotions have a purpose. They are an indicator.
Jealousy indicates your feelings of insecurity.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men Find It Difficult To Forgive A Cheating Wife? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 17, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

Hmm. I haven't been able to accomplish this at all. Either my body is active, my mind is, or both. I enjoy yoga, swimming, and aerial silks for winding down and getting rid of excess energy/keeping myself in shape, but I can't, for the life of me, keep still long enough to meditate.

When and how did you start?

I have been doing it for two years now. You don't need to meditate for hours. 15 minutes are enough to quiet your mind a little bit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Important Reasons For Getting A DNA Test / Should A Pregnant Woman Go Clubbing? / Will You Allow Your Husband To Bring A House Help Like This Into Your Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.