Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,406 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. (21401 Views)

Philip Emeagwali Among The Top 10 Most Intelligent People In The World With 190 / Strange Rainfall In Kpalime Togo (Video, Pics) / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 1:57pm On Jan 16, 2016
Before the inventions of telescopes we only had the luxury of observing stars from our night sky of which they roughly look different from each other just some tiny twinkling lights somewhere out there..

The invention of telescopes brought the universe closer to us and the stars became brighter and clearer. We learn that there is more to what we know than what we know already.

Development of telescopes like Powerful light mirror telescopes, radio telescopes, infra-red telescopes all looking into the vastness of deep space from outside the earth and countless Observatories scattered all over the planets.

The stars became even closer and clearer.. As we have gone through 10 Most strangest planets (Known) in the Observable universe.

Let us now go through 10 strangest most bizarre starry manifestations we know of

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by Dekatron(m): 2:02pm On Jan 16, 2016
FTC
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2016
[b]10.. hypervelocity Stars

Ok we have all seen shooting stars racing across the night sky like a fast brief blaze of a speeding ball of light.

Some of us use to shout "Luck!! Luck" at these celestial racer since it was believed to bestow luck on the person who could shout the required amount of luck before it disappears grin Aaaaah I miss my Childhood embarassed

Well as a matter of fact those are not stars, there are meteors.. it emits light once it enters into our atmosphere which of course is at an incredible speed.

So if you want to talk about actual, i mean what should have been referred to as shooting stars then talk about the Hypervelocity Stars cus they literally are shooting stars.

This is a very bizarre phenomenon where a star is speeding through space at an incredible speed. It is caused when a binary or triple star systems spinning under each other's gravity collides with a massive blackhole mostly at the center of a galaxy.

One of these stars are sucked in by the incredible gravitational well of a blackhole and the other (further one) is flung into space at an outrageous speed that it has enough velocity to escape the galaxy entirely which of course takes millions of years.

So imagine a blazing huge ball of light (star) speeding through speed at an incredible speed for millions of years..

[/b]

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 2:48pm On Jan 16, 2016
9,.The Castro Star System..

I call this the league of stars, this is a rare sight to behold in our chats of starry systems.

Here we have not a binary system or tripe but a league of 6 stars all orbiting a common central mass..

This is comprised of 3 distinct star systems together in an orbital dance of gravitational high-life to give us an incredibly rare but beautiful star system we know as the Castro System..

The star system boast of a mesh of distinct star types.. 2 type A hot huge stars and 4 type M dwarfs..

The Castro star system is 54 times brighter than our sun and appears in the Gemini constellation in our night sky..

Appears just like a single star in our sky but actually is a combination of 6 ..No wonder it remains one of the brightest most noticeable Star in the Gemini constellation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by hahn(m): 3:11pm On Jan 16, 2016
Dekatron:
FTC

STC!
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 3:59pm On Jan 16, 2016
8..UY scuti

Give up for the largest star we know so far in the universe...

This enormous star is breathe taking, so large that it is out of the world and possibly a very good candidate for the biggest star known when more super gigantic stars are discovered.

And Canis Majoris thinks it's large undecided Haaaa Joker grin this star beats Canis to the deal..

Located 9,500 light years away from us, this star is so huge that it literally has a volume 5million times the volume of our own star we call the sun.

This star is so huge that if it is placed in the center of our solar system, it's largeness will cover up to the Orbit of Jupiter and possibly Saturn..

Our Gigantic sun literally looks like a spec of dust compared to this extremely humongous Sun..

Look harder you will see the tiny sun in the picture showing a size comparison..

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:57pm On Jan 16, 2016
try make the pic show
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:59pm On Jan 16, 2016
WONDAFUL science
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 5:20pm On Jan 16, 2016
7.. J0523

Yes above we paid homage to the biggest star we know, it is only fair that we accord similar recognition to the smallest star we know for now in the known universe.

J0523 is a red Dwarf star located at a distance of 40light years away from us ... A very small and low luminous star that we could barely spot it.

J0523 is slightly smaller than Jupiter shocked Imagine a Star that small right? grin

There are possibility that it will be the smallest star we ever will know but nature is so so unpredictable and crazy that when you think you know this, it surprises you with an even crazier fact.

We may yet find stars quite smaller than the J0523 but for now this dim tiny beauty holds the record for the smallest Star we know..

Size comparison of the sun, J0523 and jupiter

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 16, 2016
that's how we roll. cool
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by CltrAltDelicious(m): 9:34pm On Jan 16, 2016
*following* Good job johnydon22

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by dabosuker(m): 9:48pm On Jan 16, 2016
I have always wanted to own a telescope & gaze at the night sky, from my window ...hope i can ship one in someday , one of those little ones

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 1:02am On Jan 17, 2016
[b]6.. PSR J1311-3430

Yeah right? This name is freaky boring and annoying .. Yes i feel your pain too angry

But i think we got lucky here because this star with an incredibly long boring name up there have a more conventional name that we can use because the name up there is awfully outre.

So you can call this.. The black widow Pulsar

Ok first let me explain what a Pulsar is and then can say the very ominous feature of this particular special pulsar star.

A Pulsar is a special kind of neutron star (Neutron Stars are as a result of the collapse of a massive star under it's own gravity).. So Pulsars are a kind of neutron star that are very magnetized and so emits radio waves (Electromagnetic radiation)

There was a time we thought it was Aliens trying to contact us, oh what a disappointment it must have been when our guys realized it was just some naughty stars beaming down radio signals..grin

So back to business.. What makes The black widow Pulsar
very special is it has a Star in orbit around it with an orbital period of 94minutes now imagine how close it is..

Now the bizarre thing here is that The dwarf star in orbit around The black widow Pulsar is literally being cannibalized by it..

The more extreme intense electromagnetic radiations is beamed at the star more and more of it's materials are being shed off.

This ominous star is literally sending the poor companion to a slow and steady death that eventually it will become an actual widow when it's companion star is fully annihilated by it's act of cannibalism.

Can you really still ask why this star is given such a strange alias? Naah i think it fits it..
[/b]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 1:28am On Jan 17, 2016
[b]5.. SMSS J031300.36-670839.3

Ok my life is officially ruined angry who in the world gives these names cus i could punch him right in the faceundecided

So well i think we will just this star Methuselah because that is exactly what it is..

This is the Oldest star we have observed in the universe yet.. 13.6billion years shocked.

This Star formed roughly more than 100million years after the Big Bang in cosmology and due to the low presence of iron and abundance of carbon elements it shows this starry Methuselah is a second generation star..

First generation Stars had older elements found in a young universe Helium, hydrogen and lithium and were short lived and the active nuclear reaction in their core led to formation of heavy metals transcending to newer stars after supernova.

So the newer the star the more heavy metals it should have.. But Methuselah has the lowest amount of heavy metals of any known star in our universe now.

1/10,000,000 of the suns iron composition.

So this Old guy has been blazing for 13.6billion years non-stop.. wow am impressed..

Someone get Methuselah a walking stick please.. grin

[/b]

7 Likes

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by ichommy(m): 7:27am On Jan 17, 2016
Following & Learning 100%
Kudos Boss J-Don

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 9:55am On Jan 17, 2016
4..Hybrid Stars..

And this is pretty weird... Imagine a star formed by fusion of two stars into one...!!!shocked

Ok this happens when there is a supernova and the core collapses into a dense neutron star, another star in contact with this neutron star fuses with to create a hybrid star which is 2 in 1 star.. A star living inside another

It is mostly likely in a binary star system that has two stars orbiting each other and one goes supernova..

This type of Star is also known as A Thorn-Zytkow Object owing to the fact that it was first hypothesized in 1975 by Physicist Kip Thorn and Anna Zytkow not until in 2014 was astronomers able to detect a star whose signature suggests it is one of these incredibly raze jewel.

6 Likes

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 10:18am On Jan 17, 2016
[b]3.. MY Camelopardalis

We have been talking about Binarg Star systems here since we started, but this one you have never seen anything like this before..

This Binary star system which is a dance of two stars around a common center of mass only in this case these ones aren't dancing around a common center mass. They are actually romancing, yes asin smooching each other.

grin these two stars are so close together that they literally touch... Impossible right eeeeeehn nature doesn't need to seem possible to you, it is crazy and insanely random.

So located 13,000 light years away in the constellation Camelopardalis is a binary Star system called MY Camelopardalis or lets just call them Romeo and Juliet, you know because of the smoochy smoochy grin

It is believed that these two smooching lovers are on the verge of merging to form one supermassive star.. Haaaaaaa even stars love to cuddle lipsrsealed

[/b]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 10:31am On Jan 17, 2016
Tanj God am a star
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 10:41am On Jan 17, 2016
[b]SAO 206462

A star with a spiral arm like a tiny spiral galaxy.. how about that!!! that is so weird shocked

But in the constellation Lupus a little more than 400 light years away from us is a sun-like star but with spiral rings of clouds around it..

These arms are so large in diameter that we are looking at twice the orbit of pluto from the sun..

There are other stars with such discs, these discs are known protoplanetary discs which is the birth place of planets usually accompanying young stars.

So there was a time our sun had these discs which now is registered in the planets and other objects all over the solar system.

But what makes this star disc unique is that the disc appears to be in two spiral arms..

Speculations are that the two spiral arms are caused because of already formed maybe still yet insanely hot infant planets we yet have not seen.

But either way as long as those are protoplanetary discs its very promising because it is another beautiful promise that young baby planets will be joining the crazy universe soon. Aaaaaawwww..grin

[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by johnydon22(m): 11:23am On Jan 17, 2016
[b]1.. Coldest Stars in the universe

I know what you are thinking " the coldest of these hot blazing gases probably might be few thousand °C hot.. well prepare to for your mind to be officially blown tongue

Scientists using data from NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) have discovered the coldest class of star-like bodies, with temperatures as cool as the human body.

Astronomers hunted these dark orbs, termed Y dwarfs, for more than a
decade without success. When viewed with a visible-light telescope, they are
nearly impossible to see.

WISE's infrared vision allowed the telescope to
finally spot the faint glow of six Y dwarfs relatively close to our sun, within a
distance of about 40 light-years.

Imagine Stars we literally can hug without any hitch.. Good to know there are stars that doesn't want to kill you grin

Y-dwarf stars are one of the lowest class of stars that we speculate they might not even be..

Now touch your body, this star is literally just as warm as your body is right now... Oh this is so weird..

[img]http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/581763main_pia14722-43_946-710.jpg[/img]
Cc. Lalasticlala, dekatron, teempakguy, mrphysics

So here you have my list for the strangest stars in the universe, feel free to add yours if you know of any worthy of being praised for spookiness grin

Written By Johnydon22..
[/b]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 17, 2016
Nice Thread johnydon22. I've been enlightened. We need more of such threads and the previous one. I won't dare asking the mod to bring it to the frontpage. I know it's a waste of time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 18, 2016
woooooaaahhhh . . . .

I am so blown away right now. embarassed
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 18, 2016
Mehhnnnnnn.................. I'm simply wowed. Lalasticlala, will you......... Ah never mind, no dead snake is being shown hereundecidedgrin

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by RobinHez(m): 7:07am On Jan 19, 2016
booked
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 6:27pm On Feb 03, 2016
johnydon22 Seen. Very informative. Thks
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by brunofarad(m): 6:39pm On Feb 03, 2016
Ok
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by WaleyFem: 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
Sci-fi things.. . Me I have never seen any

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by Segadem(m): 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
yeah
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by famousroland(m): 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
Stars of the Endtime
Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
These are the educative stuff that should make FP.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. by timilehin007(m): 6:44pm On Feb 03, 2016
We are not alone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Scientist Exterminate 5 Million Rats in Antarctic Island / 40-year-old Woman Breastfeeds Tiger Cubs / World's Youngest Male-to-Female Transsexual

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.