Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,883 members, 7,798,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran (28404 Views)

The United States Government Has Officially Shutdown / World War 3 : North Korea Nuclear Weapons In Final Stages (pics) / Russia Retaliates To Obama's Sanctions, CNN Reports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 10:49pm On Jan 16, 2016
Iran has completed the necessary steps in a deal to restrict its nuclear program, meaning international economic sanctions are lifted, officials from the EU and the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said Saturday.

"Relations between Iran and the IAEA now enter a new phase. It is an important day for the international community. I congratulate all those who helped make it a reality," said Director General Yukiyo Amano of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Amano will travel to Iran on Sunday to meet with President Hassan Rouhani and his top nuclear official.

European Union Foreign Affairs Chief Federica Mogherini said that the economic sanctions against Iran were lifted now that the country has joined the UK, United States, France, Germany, China, Russia and the EU in "the field of peaceful users" of nuclear energy.

President Barack Obama signed an executive order lifting some of the U.S. economic sanctions on Iran, the White House announced.

Iran nuclear deal: What happens next

Secretary of State John Kerry issued a statement confirming the IAEA has verified that Iran "has fully implemented its required commitments."

"Iran has undertaken significant steps that many, and I do mean many, people doubted would ever come to pass. And that should be recognized, even though the full measure of this achievement can only be realized by assuring continued full compliance in the coming years," Kerry said.

Kerry called the world a safer place because of the developments.

www.cnnmobile.com/latest/2016/01/16/iaea-announces-iran-nuke-pact-compliance

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/world/middleeast/iran-complies-with-nuclear-deal-paving-way-for-sanctions-to-be-lifted.html

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0UU0C7

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2016/01/iaea-iran-complied-nuclear-deal-160116205507774.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Goodyshoes(m): 10:50pm On Jan 16, 2016
OK
Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by otokx(m): 10:51pm On Jan 16, 2016
We may see sub $20 per barrel of oil.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 10:56pm On Jan 16, 2016
otokx:
We may see sub $20 per barrel of oil.
Very bad news for oil dependent economies, worst of all Nigeria since we refused to save enough to use as buffers under such a situation.

Now Iran would flood the IOM with its crude driving oil prices even lower- I foresee it dipping below $10pb.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Bishops10(m): 10:58pm On Jan 16, 2016
who read all those things up there?
Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 11:03pm On Jan 16, 2016
Bishops10:
who read all those things up there?
It is not meant for kids.

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Bishops10(m): 11:10pm On Jan 16, 2016
omenka:
It is not meant for kids.
Ok sir
But

The kids will still grow to start from where the so called adults stopped

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Movesz(m): 11:14pm On Jan 16, 2016
NOW THEY CAN ANNA NIGERIA WITH NUCLEAR bomb.
Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 16, 2016
omenka:
Very bad news for oil dependent economies, worst of all Nigeria since we refused to save enough to use as buffers under such a situation.

Now Iran would flood the IOM with its crude driving oil prices even lower- I foresee it dipping below $10pb.

I read somewhere (I can't recall) that the U.S is mostly responsible for the nosedive of crude oil (with the severe push given to shale). I suppose having been able to sink the price of crude oil to a considerable 'low', this move is in order to throw the knock out punch which will then see oil price sinking to as far as $10 if not below.

The 'likely' eventual but slow end of oil dependent states.

3 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by ejiinii: 11:24pm On Jan 16, 2016
Bishops10:

Ok sir

But

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by ejiinii: 11:24pm On Jan 16, 2016
Good response to the prideful op

Bishops10:

Ok sir

But

1 Like

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 11:32pm On Jan 16, 2016
9jacrip:

I read somewhere (I can't recall) that the U.S is mostly responsible for the nosedive of crude oil (with the severe push given to shale). I suppose having been able to sink the price of crude oil to a considerable 'low', this move is in order to throw the knock out punch which will then see oil price sinking to as far as $10 if not below.

The 'likely' eventual but slow end of oil dependent states.

Well, I would have been all for the temporary fall in oil prices as is currently being witnessed for reason that it would give our government the impetus to diversify our economy and once and for all, put an end to this single commodity based economy.

But previous governments never had the foresight to sufficiently save forex upon which we could fall back when the need arises. Same savings we would have used to invest in other profitable sectors especially agriculture. As things stand, we don't have all the money we need to do so, not even sure we have half of it, yet the price of oil continues its downward spiral.

I have no idea how else to fix this problem than borrowing, which means further plunging the economy into debt. Our only saving grace is that we have a government we can trust to deploy borrowed funds appropriately- it is the most critical index that would decide what becomes of our economy/country after borrowing.

God help us.

11 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Emekamex(m): 11:40pm On Jan 16, 2016
Venezuela's economy capitulated yesterday, with this news, Nigeria's economic demise is within reach; unless they pass the damn budget and begin full implementation earnestly. Waiting till April to pass the budget like they always do will be our greatest mistake.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by ril19(m): 11:41pm On Jan 16, 2016
Iran Can't Take Their Eyes Off Nuclear Weapons Provided Countries Like North Korea Are Still Venturing Further.

#MyOpinion

2 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 16, 2016
omenka:
Well, I would have been all for the temporary fall in oil prices as is currently being witnessed for reason that it would give our government the impetus to diversify our economy and once and for all, put an end to this single commodity based economy.

But previous governments never had the foresight to sufficiently save forex upon which we could fall back when the need arises. Same savings we would have used to invest in other profitable sectors especially agriculture. As things stand, we don't have all the money we need to do so, not even sure we have half of it, yet the price of oil continues its downward spiral.

I have no idea how else to fix this problem than borrowing, which means further plunging the economy into debt. Our only saving grace is that we have a government we can trust to deploy borrowed funds appropriately- it is the most critical index that would decide what becomes of our economy/country after borrowing.

God help us.

My brother (or Sis) the emboldened is the quandary Nigeria is in.

Let's keep in mind that we have debt on ground needing to be serviced.

Having stated the above, even if we have a govt we can trust to deploy 'borrowed' funds appropriately, the question is where would these funds be deployed to? Recurrent expenditure (which include salaries and non-profit yielding payments)? Or is the govt going to spend the money on projects and expect Nigerians to pay to use the services (a la toll) when the average Nigeria cannot survive on their salary?

Or are we looking at investing in mineral resources and agriculture? Are these two areas enough to bear the weight of Nigeria? I do not think so.

Let's watch and see how Nigeria will manage to survive with its replicated and bloated arm(s) of government.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 12:03am On Jan 17, 2016
9jacrip:

My brother (or Sis) the emboldened is the quandary Nigeria is in.

Let's keep in mind that we have debt on ground needing to be serviced.

Having stated the above, even if we have a govt we can trust to deploy 'borrowed' funds appropriately, the question is where would these funds be deployed to? Recurrent expenditure (which include salaries and non-profit yielding payments)? Or is the govt going to spend the money on projects and expect Nigerians to pay to use the services (a la toll) when the average Nigeria cannot survive on their salary?

Or are we looking at investing in mineral resources and agriculture? Are these two areas enough to bear the weight of Nigeria? I do not think so.

Let's watch and see how Nigeria will manage to survive with its replicated and bloated arm(s) of government.
Brother, you seem to grossly underestimate the capability of the agric sector. Look, if properly harnessed, it can propel the economy completely out of its current deplorable situation. Beauty of it is that one doesn't need formal education to be successful in it, unlike in the oil and gas industry- just about everyone can get involved in it. Now just imagine all that!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 12:06am On Jan 17, 2016
@ Mynd44, @ Lalasticlala, so I bring a news of this significance - a major breaking news worldwide with far reaching implications on Nigeria- and the best you could do is move it here thereby killing it.

I really thank you both.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by gists: 12:14am On Jan 17, 2016
And this is how the cookie further crumbles.
With Iranian oil joining the already "saturated" crude oil supply (no thanks to US production), we better brace for lower oil price.
The only comforting thing is that least at least we don't have a wasteful/wicked/anti-people individuals in Aso Rock.

5 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 17, 2016
omenka:
Brother, you seem to grossly underestimate the capability of the agric sector. Look, if properly harnessed, it can propel the economy completely out of its current deplorable situation. Beauty of it is that one doesn't need formal education to be successful in it, unlike in the oil and gas industry- just about everyone can get involved in it. Now just imagine all that!!

Sir, propel in what sense? Are you talking in terms of export?

I'm sure other countries are looking at diversifying into agriculture now.

What exactly do we have in agriculture to export in order to earn? Palm Oil is now being pocketed by Malaysia (I think), is there demand for Cassava? We're importing rice which means there is or are countries who have pocketed that likewise Cocoa. What agricultural produce would we be looking at exactly to export? I'm curious.

10 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by dustydee: 1:10am On Jan 17, 2016
More oil on the market.
Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Nobody: 1:28am On Jan 17, 2016
Forget about Oil, this is a very good news. Israel is about to become a Nuclear wasteland. grin

@Palestine - Get ready to be independent! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Nobody: 2:53am On Jan 17, 2016

3 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by mazeltov(m): 7:53am On Jan 17, 2016
I don't have problem with this news. We all know that one day, the sanctions against Iran would be lifted. Of course the sanction can't everlasting as some people think.
My concerns focus on the weakling 'OPEC' organisation.
Honestly since the creation of Opec, I am yet to see its usefulness to the global oil market. I thought Opec would serve as a regulator to regulate these gluts. Sometimes we need to leave the players and blame the coach.
Opec is just too weak to control the output of crude oil into the global market. At least, Opec should be strong enough to impose sanctions on some giant countries like United States or even Venezuela if they outstep their production.

4 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 9:34am On Jan 17, 2016
Emekamex:
Venezuela's economy capitulated yesterday, with this news, Nigeria's economic demise is within reach; unless they pass the damn budget and begin full implementation earnestly. Waiting till April to pass the budget like they always do will be our greatest mistake.
Too bad for Venezuela. When Richard Quest was giving his analysis on the implications of this action, I just couldn't stop feeling sorry for Nigeria. Saudi Arabia has already cut back tremendously on subsidies and it is projected that more cuts would be made.

Their saving grace is that they invested hugely in infrastructure and real estate. Today, they make billions of dollars from the sale of those properties so much so that their economy would still maintain a fairly healthy posture even if oil sold for $0.00pb.

Nigerian leaders never had that foresight. All they did was waste monies on useless ventures and stole the rest.

With this news, some international portfolio managers and investment bankers have already started making projections of $12pb prompting a massive sell off in the oil industry.

God help us.

15 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 9:48am On Jan 17, 2016
mazeltov:
I don't have problem with this news. We all know that one day, the sanctions against Iran would be lifted. Of course the sanction can't everlasting as some people think.
My concerns focus on the weakling 'OPEC' organisation.
Honestly since the creation of Opec, I am yet to see its usefulness to the global oil market. I thought Opec would serve as a regulator to regulate these gluts. Sometimes we need to leave the players and blame the coach.
Opec is just too weak to control the output of crude oil into the global market. At least, Opec should be strong enough to impose sanctions on some giant countries like United States or even Venezuela if they outstep their production.
You have a point but are you aware oil producing states that are non-member states of OPEC account for over 60% of world oil production? This means that even if OPEC seals off all its wells, over 60% of world's demand for oil could still be met!

The only way they might have exerted the leverage you imagine is if they have had monopoly of supply or if they were responsible for an overwhelming fraction of world's total output. But they don't, hence, their weakness and inability to regulate supply, and by extension, price.

Furthermore, if they have had that sort of influence and used it as you propose, that could have even more dire consequences for countries that depend on oil exports for forex. Such arm twisting techniques could push big consumers to develop alternatives (they have the technological know how to do so) to oil, thereby ultimately rendering the "liquid gold" useless!

I believe there are some benefits to being a member of OPEC, but right now, in the light of the prevailing circumstances, those advantages nearly totally insignificant.

7 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Bishops10(m): 3:24pm On Jan 17, 2016
ejiinii:
Good response to the prideful op
Thanks man,some people just think they have arrived.

2 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by hahn(m): 3:41pm On Jan 17, 2016
omenka:
You have a point but are you aware oil producing states that are non-member states of OPEC account for over 60% of world oil production? This means that even if OPEC seals off all its wells, over 60% of world's demand for oil could still be met!

The only way they might have exerted the leverage you imagine is if they have had monopoly of if they were responsible for an overwhelming fraction of world's total oil output. But they don't, hence, their weakness and inability to regulate supply, and by extension, price.

Furthermore, if they have had that sort of influence and used it as you propose, that could have even more dire consequences for countries that depend on oil exports for forex. Such arm twisting techniques could push big consumers to develop alternatives (they have the technological know how to do so) to oil, thereby ultimately rendering the "liquid gold" useless!

I believe there are some benefits to being a member of OPEC, but right now, in the light of the prevailing circumstances, those advantages nearly totally insignificant.

Bro, can you help me out? I was just wondering, why is it that the drop in the price of crude oil is not reflecting in the price of it's refined products especially here in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 3:56pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

Bro, can you help me out? I was just wondering, why is it that the drop in the price of crude oil is not reflecting in the price of it's refined products especially here in Nigeria?
It is the same reason why constructing a 1km bridge in the industrialised world would cost less than it would in our clime- availability of complementary infrastructure.

If we can develop our rail or pipeline delivery system sufficiently to handle massive transport of those commodities, we would no doubt see a corresponding decline in the cost of haulage and cost at the pump.

My theory.

4 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by omenka(m): 4:02pm On Jan 17, 2016
Seun why have your mods refused to take this important item which has been making international headlines since yesterday to the fp They even had to move it down here to knowing too well that would kill it.

Was hoping one could have some sensible discussions about its implications to the Nigerian economy.

Isn't this better than threads about some stupid pictures of "celebrities" doing stupid things that always get moved to the fp??

Why are important discussions being deliberately stifled here??

Cc: Obinoscopy.

4 Likes

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by hahn(m): 4:38pm On Jan 17, 2016
omenka:
It is the same reason why constructing a 1km bridge in the industrialised world would cost less than it would in our clime- availability of complementary infrastructure.

If we can develop our rail or pipeline delivery system sufficiently to handle massive transport of those commodities, we would no doubt see a corresponding decline in the cost of haulage and cost at the pump.

My theory.

Ok. Nigeria's economy has never really been known to make much sense undecided
Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by Seun(m): 6:51pm On Jan 17, 2016
This means the oil price will drop further since Iran is now free to export their oil to US and all European countries. The naira will also drop.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran by lielbree: 6:54pm On Jan 17, 2016
And the present government is investing heavily in Chad basin oil exploration undecided
Kachukwu is busy lying that USA will buy our oil. When the USA is getting ready to start selling oil undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Somali Kills Three In 'brutal' Germany Knife Attack / 5 Most Celebrated Freedom Fighters And Revolutionaries In Africa (Pics) / US: Hurricane Winds Tips Over Trucks, Spawn Tornadoes In Multiple States( Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.