Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,719 members, 7,802,168 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

Telecommunications Professionals Zone - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecommunications Professionals Zone (112296 Views)

PGD In Eng(electronic &telecommunication) & Msc Physics Telecommunications / Human Resource Professionals: / Cwna & Telecommunications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 11:32pm On Feb 14, 2010
LAELIST:

There are some many end user product that can be delivered to customers via a wired network and wireless network will be limited to few.

Not true at all.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 10:51am On Feb 15, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Not true at all.
AjanleKoko, Seconded.
[quote][/quote]
Hmmm, Actually LAELIST, the inverse is actually the case. You said it yourself - Wire-LESS! Its reach is unbeaten. Again the planning is the Key.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 15, 2010
Interesting!!! But i know nothing.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by elwino: 1:48pm On Feb 16, 2010
Hello All, i Stumbled on this trend just at the right time when I was thinking of which direction I intend to head.

To AjanleKoko, salihu_ali and all the other Pro's in the house, I must say you are doing a wonderful job, you would not know how many lives you have touched with your contributions.

@Salihu _ ali, i will try to contact you so that I can get some of those materials and possible a tutorial if you are chanced.

@ajanlekoko, you are very much appreciated for your contributions.

I presently work with a telecoms servicing firm, I am mostly involved with the maintenance of fiber optic backbone of 2 leading gsm operators, and one of the cdma operator.

I was thinking of getting into the main stream telco world but do not know how to proceed, I have a background in Computer Science and Mathematics, and adequate networking knowledge too.

please can you offer me some advice.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 3:17pm On Feb 16, 2010
@el wino,
hi, I'd wanted to ask for your email but that would have taken time. I wanted you to see this. The deadline is 7 days gone now but , well, you never know.
POSITION: Project Engineer, Fibre TXM/Planning

Reports to: Manager, Fibre TXM Project.

CORE PURPOSE: Assists in the management, design and planning of EMTS’s Fibre TXM network.

SUMMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assists too review the unit’s activities, suggests recommendations for improvement and implement approved improvement initiatives to ensure enhanced performance.
· Coordinates frequency planning for Fibre TXM networks.
· Supports the Manager, Fibre TXM Project in the development and maintenance of a structured growth plan for future traffic planning.
· Prepares agreed periodic activity performance reports for the attention of Manager, Fibre TXM.
· Performs any other duties assigned by the Manager, Fibre TXM.

Requirements:
· First degree or its equivalent in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
· 2 – 3 years post NYSC relevant experience.
· Good planning and analytical skills, key for this role.
Qualified/interested candidates should forward updated / detailed curriculum vitae to:

techrecruitment@etisalat.com.ng
MAIL SHOULD INDICATE POSITION APPLYING FOR AND DESIRED LOCATION.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lekside44(m): 7:43pm On Feb 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

, FTTX and quad-play are the key words there,

can you please explain more?

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lekside44(m): 7:45pm On Feb 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

The trend now is wireless, anywhere you are. Wireline and wireless have their own niches. Cell phones are growing faster than fixed lines anywhere, and the key word is 'mobility'.

sure.
this is because it is easier to carry your phones around and call/receive call (+ other applications) anywhere you are. but the wireline have their own advantages when broadband capacity is required. this is useful when it comes to surfing the internet, broadband/internet television as we have in advanced countries just to mention a few. each types of communication will settle to its own equilibrium as price /time continues. a wireline whose backbone is fiber optics is far more advantageous in capacity but the prices are still ridiculously high.
as with the network providers, a wireline linking their different mast and base station makes a lot of sense for a more efficient services since the bandwidth offered is greater than those by wireless. however, this will only make sense in an urban populated area so that the investors can recouple their investment in good time. for rural/less populated areas, wireless link makes better sense. in Nigeria and many developing countries, many of these operators began all fully wireless so as to cover as many areas as possible with the limited funds they have. it is only of recent they are now laying the cables to handle the traffic which seems to be overwhelming the wireless.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 8:35pm On Feb 16, 2010
lekside44:

FTTX and quad-play are the key words there,

can you please explain more?

@lekside,
In the wired environment, the old copper paradigm is dying, as you know.
Everywhere else in the world, rather than you having the POTS (Plain Old Telephony System) copper cable with dial-up internet to your house or the copper trunk to your office, now it is all about Fiber to the Home/Office (FTTX). Applications in the wired environment nowadays come over fiber, and they include voice (VOIP/SIP), Internet, IPTV/On-Demand TV, and other video applications. Anywhere you go in the developed world, a fixed line is not just a fixed line anymore.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by LAELIST: 11:44am On Feb 17, 2010
salihu_ali:

AjanleKoko, Seconded.

Hmmm, Actually LAELIST, the inverse is actually the case. You said it yourself - Wire-LESS! Its reach is unbeaten. Again the planning is the Key.
AjanleKoko:

Not true at all.

Thanks for your opinion.
With the bandwidth we have from all this wireless providers in the country, can u sell iptv, hdtv,voip and cable tv with over 300 channels on there network. Even you cannot enjoy a youtube video without delay. But trust me if you have copper drop ran into you house from the tap on a fiber optic network. I promise 10mbs at your home or office.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 12:11pm On Feb 17, 2010
@LAELIST,
Like I said earlier. Those are fixed applications, that are best addressed in a fixed wireline environment.
However, Fixed Wireless Technologies like 802.16x can also provide good bandwidth to support such apps. Even that technology has not been fully developed and deployed in Nigeria.

In any case, are you aware that the bulk of transport networks in Nigeria are fiber? And there is growing footprint of last-mile fiber in urban areas? We will get there eventually.

Wireless and wireline complement each other, and do not compete. Just like you have wireline supporting fixed applications, you have wireless supporting mobility. And the case for mobility is outgrowing the case for fixed technologies, as you now have your IPTV and high speed internet moving to the mobiles.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 6:09pm On Feb 17, 2010
LAELIST:

Thanks for your opinion.
With the bandwidth we have from all this wireless providers in the country, can u sell iptv, hdtv,voip and cable tv with over 300 channels on there network. Even you cannot enjoy a youtube video without delay. But trust me if you have copper drop ran into you house from the tap on a fiber optic network. I promise 10mbs at your home or office.
Laelist,
Its really not about Copper-or-no-Copper. The frontiers of technology have pushed the limits beyond that precipice. Its about the Transport feed Capacity. Except in cases where the Wireless coverage has issues (viz-a-viz blindspots, areas with intermittent coverage) - usually arising due to bad RF Network Planning.
Let me give an analogy. That a bucket can carry 50 liters of fluid (liquid or gas) doesn't mean it always contains up to that much all the time. Usually DSL links can carry up to 2MB as a minimum, most I've seen advertised anyway. Even If you have that deployed in Nigeria, If you don't have the aggregate traffic provisioned from Overseas dimensioned to carry your estimated traffic you'll still have issues. Glo-1 Cable has a capacity of 640 Giga bytes/s that doesn't necessarily translate to the actual bandwidth Glo will be pulling into Nigeria from Portugal. Thats what its capable of carrying.
WiFi is currently capable of carrying a data rate of 300Mbps (Throughput is averagely half of that, the rest is overhead) with the latest 802.11n Access Points at effective range. WiMAX 802.16e which is the mobile standard, is capable of delivering 2Mbps at 3 - 4km with the help of OFDM and Smart MIMO+Beamforming and and thats a fact. Proper planning brings Fiber to the Curb its terminated on a central box and then copper/wireless (depending on the provider) brings it into your home.
Case in Point the issue is really not with your Access network but with the Transport (in Nigeria anyway).
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lasunk: 2:14pm On Feb 24, 2010
salihu_ali & All
Do you know the prospects of a career change to Microwave transmission design engineering especially after about 2 years work experience in a totally different telecom field??
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by nanachi: 3:52pm On Feb 24, 2010
hi everybody,pls does anyone have any idea about industrialtraining in any telecom or isp firm and the mode of application.thanks as i wait for the reply
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dROC1: 9:12pm On Feb 28, 2010
Highly educative thread
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 04, 2010
Please! Its no longer necessary.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 04, 2010
No longer necessary!!!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 04, 2010
Yeah! Great.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by cola: 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2010
somebody help Colin Aduah pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2010
Colin Aduah, go to TTC Mobile. At least you'll learn something.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 12:17pm On Mar 10, 2010
The Question keeps haunting the thread so this goes out to everyone that wants a startup into Networking, and ultimately Telecommunications, this link should help:
https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/resources/courses/golden/netfun_08252009/netfun_course/course_start.html
You might have to register for free.

Its a free Online Networking Fundamentals Course by Juniper Networks, who is Juniper ?

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/fact-sheets-backgrounder/3000054-en.pdf
You might have to register for free.

Its a 5hr course (broken up into short modules) and sadly not available for download.
Hope this helps
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dondada78(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2010
hi salihu
long time!!!! sent you a mail but no reply.
hope you are good.
take care
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 1:29pm On Mar 10, 2010
Hello dondada78,
Forgive me if I haven't replied. I just dug through my mails and I've replied most of the ones that referred to this NL thread. Please, kindly send it again.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dondada78(m): 1:45pm On Mar 10, 2010
Hi Salihu,
the mail is concerning the Etisalat stuff.
Heard that they would start work on their backbone link soon, design stage is almost complete.
won't be easy for them but well lets see.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 18, 2010
If you have any experience in Telecoms industry or knowledge of Telecoms Industry for starters;

send your CVs to @gmail.com for the jobs of LOS engineer and drivetest engineer and also Radio network planners.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Liferace: 10:58am On Mar 24, 2010
Hello everyone,

kudos to y'all for your grate contributions.

Please, my question goes thus. Being a NOC Engineer for a telecom company, how high can the person go?.What other areas can the person fits into later in pursuit of his/her career.Like am feeling is not challenging and its such a routine job. Please , your input will be highly appreciated.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2010
Liferace:

Please, my question goes thus. Being a NOC Engineer for a telecom company, how high can the person go?.What other areas can the person fits into later in pursuit of his/her career.Like am feeling is not challenging and its such a routine job. Please , your input will be highly appreciated.

NOC is just like the network helpdesk.
It is a good place to learn about the environment. It'll give you a good overview of the core and access network systems, as well as the OSS/BSS environment.

How high can a NOC engineer go? Definitely not too far, if you remain a NOC engineer all your career. Like most professions, you need to move around and get good hands-on in other areas of telecom engineering, if you want to move up.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Liferace: 1:47pm On Mar 24, 2010
Thanks so much for your swift response, God bless you.

So now, i need your advice please. What do you think is the best way to break in?. Most telecoms will want hands on experience in specific area before they can give you chance.

I have some certifications in Cisco (professional level). Do i need to lie in my CV since i know some stuffs or what do you think .
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 2:19pm On Mar 24, 2010
^^ Which telco are you working in?
Do they run internal ads?
You don't need to lie on your CV. What have you learned so far working in NOC? You need to use that to negotiate your way into a new role.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Liferace: 2:32pm On Mar 24, 2010
Thanks. I might not be previledged to internal ad cos am not a direct staff of the company, but i get the message and thanks a billion.BTW, am not presently in naija.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by chukxy: 1:17pm On Mar 25, 2010
Good people, I want you to educate me on the role of a Digital Systems and Computer Engineer in Telecommunication's Industry.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 2:24pm On Mar 30, 2010
chukxy:

Good people, I want you to educate me on the role of a Digital Systems and Computer Engineer in Telecommunication's Industry.

Those your terminologies are old, bro. No vex though.
Telecoms are digital systems these days. Ever heard of DSP? All the telecom technologies in use as at today are digital signals (TDM, FDM, CDM, CSMA, spread-spectrum, etc).

What we have these days is an ICT industry. We talk about convergence of information and communications technology.
Computer engineers, well, work with computers. Design computers, program them, fix them, whatever. We do run today's telecom networks on computers. Is that some kind of suitable answer?

@Post, where are all the telecom pros?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (32) (Reply)

Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? / Meet Abdullahi Lawal, EFCC Official Who Rejected N100M Bribe From Chinese / The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.