Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,378 members, 7,781,061 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:13 AM

Islam And My Profession - I Need Help - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And My Profession - I Need Help (7043 Views)

Islam And Obedience To Leaders / Baby Naming In Islam And The Modern Society. / Islam And Polio Vaccine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by MUZBO(m): 11:47am On Jun 23, 2009
@JJyou, I can understand why you concluded that @poster meant christians gamble but you need to examine the thread that lead to that, it was totally uncalled for. Someone is trying not to sin from his understanding and one of the posters insulted him for that- isn't that wrong? Please take it easy. Everyone can insult or draw conclusions, its just not the thread to do so. Please!
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by thirdeye(m): 12:35pm On Jun 23, 2009
It's obvious your conscience will not allow you to do this task so why not tell your boss or whoever to direct the job to someone else.
If you are really good at your job then I don't believe you can be sacked just by turning down one assignment based on your belief.
Where I used to work everybody else was a christian including the owner of business except for one of us right here in Lagos, yet the guy observed his 5 times fasting everyday living the office to go and pray and nothing happened to him, why? he was very good so my boss just turned away his face from what he does, and when others have left he is always in the office to do the extra work, today he has left for another establishment and he is still doing well.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Nezan(m): 1:16pm On Jun 23, 2009
are u sure all the money u have made in life is clean?
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by tundewoods(m): 1:56pm On Jun 23, 2009
@ Javalove

Now the issue you have raised,i believe is quite a straight forward one. If you feel that your religous belief is against you taking the job. I believe you have your consience to guide you to making the right decision of either accepting or declining the offer.

Emphasising that a lot of money is involved still may not be a determining factor depending upon your conviction. In respective of your religious belief. Lets also try to be religious tolerant.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Frizy(m): 2:02pm On Jun 23, 2009
@Javalove

Salam brother, it's a good thing you brought this topic up. It is very important that we integrate our jobs into the religion of Islam because our aim is practise it in totality and shun what is not part of religion. I have been trying to work on a project too, but in a different way which I would talk about later. To come to the question, writing programs that requires selecting a number or persons done in a random way to win money is gambling because the user has a skate. And gambling is forbidden by Allah, I intend to found a company, a software company that aims to Islamize the way computing is done today.

Instead of having a money gambling software, if you're good in writing softwares, we could develop a social networking site, I know how to write coldfusion, we will gather enough intelligence and methodologies from the conventional software developers only to implement "our" ways of life and thinking into what they get. Think about it, developing such a site would gather Muslims and indoctorinate them in a certain way, with web applications/gadgets designed to meet the everyday needs to the average Muslim. Imagine Muslims on facebook only saying Julia Roberts is their idol and all those stuffs. Piece of shit.

So with your programming skills you can develop software that openly embrace the Islamic ideologies, in time we will get to where we hope to be in. Insha Allah.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 2:38pm On Jun 23, 2009
Frizy:

@Javalove

Salam brother, it's a good thing you brought this topic up. It is very important that we integrate our jobs into the religion of Islam because our aim is practise it in totality and shun what is not part of religion. I have been trying to work on a project too, but in a different way which I would talk about later. To come to the question, writing programs that requires selecting a number or persons done in a random way to win money is gambling because the user has a skate. And gambling is forbidden by Allah, I intend to found a company, a software company that aims to Islamize the way computing is done today.

Instead of having a money gambling software, if you're good in writing softwares, we could develop a social networking site, I know how to write coldfusion, we will gather enough intelligence and methodologies from the conventional software developers only to implement "our" ways of life and thinking into what they get. Think about it, developing such a site would gather Muslims and indoctorinate them in a certain way, with web applications/gadgets designed to meet the everyday needs to the average Muslim. Imagine Muslims on facebook only saying Julia Roberts is their idol and all those stuffs. Piece of shit.

So with your programming skills you can develop software that openly embrace the Islamic ideologies, in time we will get to where we hope to be in. Insha Allah.

Salam Alykun Frizy

May Allah guide us aright. I like your analysis. The job has been awarded to my company (i own the company). I have just asked another brother here and he says I can go ahead.

I am still researching it a bit and I will ask more scholars. If at the end of the day I cant do it, can I give it out to someone else to do and get some percentage of the money?

Yea, we can collaborate on some projects together and I would be glad to work with you. I'm a Java programmer (J2SE, J2EE, JavaFX, JDBC) and I do PHP very well too. Lets IM on Yahoo to discuss more.

May Allah guide us aright. Ameen
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 3:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
dammytosh:

With the way this funny thread is going, i need to sign out of nairaland because i foresee a suicide bomber coming to blow up nairaland and the internet. grin grin grin grin grin grin

hisses
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by 2busy: 3:27pm On Jun 23, 2009
Assalamalykum,
my brother, i have heard of an hadith (i cant remember the narrator) that said " what is haram in islam is clear, and what is halal is also clear, but there are some grey matter (things that are not clear) in between, so shun those area"

I think your case falls in this unclear matters, which you are to shun.

My advice,: NEXT TIME YOU FALL INTO THIS KIND OF SITUATION, ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ISTIKHARA (ALLAH'S COUNSELLING/GUIDEANCE)
(GET CITADEL OF THE BELIEVERS, THE PRAYER IS THERE). OFFER 2 RAKAT NAWAFIL,

AND ALLAH WILL GUIDE YOU RIGHT

WALAHU A'LAM
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Tudor6(f): 3:36pm On Jun 23, 2009
Its quite sad really to see muslims utterly confused by their religion. . .

I can't help but wonder what they learn after spending so many years in koranic schools.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 3:39pm On Jun 23, 2009
2busy:

Assalamalykum,
my brother, i have heard of an hadith (i cant remember the narrator) that said " what is haram in islam is clear, and what is halal is also clear, but there are some grey matter (things that are not clear) in between, so shun those area"

I think your case falls in this unclear matters, which you are to shun.

My advice,: NEXT TIME YOU FALL INTO THIS KIND OF SITUATION, ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ISTIKHARA (ALLAH'S COUNSELLING/GUIDEANCE)
(GET CITADEL OF THE BELIEVERS, THE PRAYER IS THERE). OFFER 2 RAKAT NAWAFIL,

AND ALLAH WILL GUIDE YOU RIGHT

WALAHU A'LAM

Jazakhumullah Khairan . . . May Allah guide us aright
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 23, 2009
OP,

Pally forget stories, do whatever suit your mind. When time comes everybody will answer his father's name.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by stmanpule(m): 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2009
My dear brother, been a muslim does not stop you from working. you are not the one gambling you are only working there. this means if you are offered a lucrative job at BENSON/EDGES, you will renounce it
ma sallam
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2009
stmanpule:

My dear brother, been a muslim does not stop you from working. you are not the one gambling you are only working there. this means if you are offered a lucrative job at BENSON/EDGES, you will renounce it
ma sallam

Auzubilah Minzalik!!!
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by WarfyBoy(m): 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2009
bros, if u meet person for road, as in person wey e b say im eyes dey shook e don dey find job for five years e never c, u kom dey tell am dis kind joke, d way e go take run enter u ehnnnn if dem say make u kom work for church self u go go,
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 7:28pm On Jun 23, 2009
Warfy Boy:

bros, if u meet person for road, as in person wey e b say im eyes dey shook e don dey find job for five years e never c, u kom dey tell am dis kind joke, d way e go take run enter u ehnnnn if dem say make u kom work for church self u go go,

Now thats hilarious grin grin grin
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by safariman(m): 7:54pm On Jun 23, 2009
As a Banker and a Muslim, I make loans to Churches and Synagogues, which I am told is against Islamic teachings,
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by noetic2: 7:55pm On Jun 23, 2009
safariman:

As a Banker and a Muslim, I make loans to Churches and Synagogues, which I am told is against Islamic teachings,

So why did u not resign?
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by safariman(m): 7:58pm On Jun 23, 2009
That is the only profession that I have ever been in and I am not quite sure if it is forbidden since there are bankers in Saudi Arabia, allbeit, they don't charge interest on their loans.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by noetic2: 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2009
safariman:

That is the only profession that I have ever been in and I am not quite sure if it is forbidden since there are bankers in Saudi Arabia, allbeit, they don't charge interest on their loans.

what you have exhibited is called INTELLIGENCE. which is very uncommon.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by tkb417(m): 8:06pm On Jun 23, 2009

thank u.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by noetic2: 8:06pm On Jun 23, 2009
safariman:

Are you saying Intelligence is uncommon amongst muslims?

well, u are the one that added the "muslims" part.
So, if u say so, then . . . . .
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by safariman(m): 8:10pm On Jun 23, 2009
I was going with the subject, which was Islam and My Profession
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by safariman(m): 8:13pm On Jun 23, 2009
You wrote: what you have exhibited is called INTELLIGENCE. which is very uncommon.

Question why was it that I exhibited Intelligence, which is very uncommon? hence, the need to ask if you were referring to muslims/Islam
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by noetic2: 8:19pm On Jun 23, 2009
safariman:

You wrote: what you have exhibited is called INTELLIGENCE. which is very uncommon.

Question why was it that I exhibited Intelligence, which is very uncommon? hence, the need to ask if you were referring to muslims/Islam
what difference would my answer make? This is pointless.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by tubabie(f): 8:22pm On Jun 23, 2009
safariman:

Please dont let the thread disintegrate by being too sensitive, i think he answered earlier in the negative and was just trying to taunt you further.
Intelligence has nothing to do with religion to a large extent
PEACE!

Jesus saves
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by noetic2: 8:27pm On Jun 23, 2009
tubabie:

Please dont let the thread disintegrate by being too sensitive, i think he answered earlier in the negative and was just trying to taunt you further.
Intelligence has nothing to do with religion to a large extent wink
Ma sallam, PEACE!

On the contrary my answer was indeed positive. He was smart to understand that religious rules (islam or christianity) are made for men and not the other way round.Intelligence is uncommon either amongst muslims, christians or atheists. That was my point.

oyb:

you are obviously new here. . .

noetic is a troll for the christian god and his life and happiness  is defined by how many Muslim threads he can hijack and how many muslims he can insult. you're better off paying him no heed.

refer to his signature and profile for more info. you will find for instance, that he spends 90% of his time on nairaland here  tongue tongue

Another meaningless rant.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by congoshine(m): 9:05pm On Jun 23, 2009
creationxt:
@congoshine
Christianity is not a set of rules. It is faith in Jesus Christ and what he did for everyone. It is with this believe that you receive power to live as a Christian. This is our way of life, and it cannot be successfully condemned.
You don’t need to preach to me . . .the rules I’m talking about is hinged on different interpretation of scriptures(Bible/Qu’ran). E.g Deeper life members are discouraged from watching TVs, RCCG says women shouldn’t put on trousers ;Osama believes he needs to kill Americans, some moslem men believe becos the Holy prophet married a nine year old,so its perfectly fine to follow suit ,some Jews believe the entire Middle East is theirs etc.
My point is –the individual interpretation of scriptures is what people now take as the faith itself, which should not be the case. So u find out that people get upset once you don’t agree with their own interpretation of the scriptures. . . . . .
creationxt:

@congoshine
You seem to believe convenience justifies your actions. Why should you work in the tobacco company when your conscience says otherwise, I think its wise to believe in something always. Not atimes.
Because economic decisions require rational decision making. Once the business is legal in the country ,I can review my decisions as long as my conscience is clear. . . . .
creationxt:

@congoshine
Recall, from the Bible only 8 persons were saved from the great flood in Noah's day. You may not predict God's heavenly statistics from the billions on earth. There is always right and wrong, and if you continue doing wrong even when you know it, then there's problem.
Faith has never been rational nor convenient & anyone that believes in God(like I do) should know that. The point Im making is that ,most believers in God(muslims/Christians) tend to believe their way is the right way.
The muslim is just as passionate & spiritual about his religion just as the Christian,Jew (& I dare say the Buddhist,Hindu etc),so for anyone to believe God will decisively punish adherents of the other religion, I think may be far-fetched.

safariman:

safariman:

God bless you,this is the point I have been trying to make. The impression ‘Muslims’ & ‘Christians’ who impose these rules on themselves is that this world was created for just your religion,dats is so not true. If the Almighty wanted only muslims or Christians he would get it done in a second. Just like we are yet to fully fathom the miracle of creation /birth ,so no one person should try to define or explain the things of God. This may be hard to swallow ,but its the truth.
By imposing unnecessary rules on yourself ,you loose. God will still remain God whether you further your career or not !
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by mecylee(f): 9:27pm On Jun 23, 2009
Alot of money is involved as in how ?
Is islam against making money in Business ?
Why is your organiosation in business ?

I laugh in roman figure grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by olabowale(m): 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2009
Davidylan, Islam comprises, primarily the Quran and then secondarily the Hadith/Sunnah that explain and make clear what Quran says. No single man knows the whole of Islam! This is why Javalove who is living at a distant generation from whence Quran was revealed is asking question that is germaine to his condition.

For me, if people buy some article, say in the days of old in Nigeria, when Surf was introduced, and you get a ticket with your purchase to enter a raffle, then I agree that you can design a software to select a winner. This is clear that there is no gambling involved. You already got your money's worth of goods at purchase. What you will be getting is "top up" in form of winning.

The form that your question seem to be indicating is as if it is similar to call in or text in, where their is a cost attached to the how you get qualified to win. If the text in or call in is not the only way to qualify, I will say that you should do it. My explanation is based on the fact that "US Publisher's clearing house" involves some purchases, yet those who do not buy the materials/magazines, etc can just simply fill out the forms to enter the competition, too.

However, good things can be done in a bad situation: a taxi driver can pick a ride from a Bar to the fare's house. Thats a good deed. While he can't knowingly pick a a man from his home or the street and drop him at a drinking place.

While he can pick illicit sexual participants from hotel to their homes, he should not pick them, knowingly to go to hotels for illicit sexual escapade!

Now in your case, before you go into designing the software, ask many detail questions about what the participants need to do: Is it going to cost everyone some funds to enter, without some valuable in return, except the hope to win? If this is the case, and you already know I will not suggest that you participate in it.

My reason is the same reason I will tell a grape farrmer/vineyard owner not to sell his grape to a wine maker, who specifically told him what the grapes will be used for.

There are a lot of " lucrative on paper" businesses I will not participate in. Islamic injuction should supersede.

Allah knows everything.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by mecylee(f): 9:31pm On Jun 23, 2009
Is islam against making money in Business ?
[/tt][quote][/quote][tt]
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by mecylee(f): 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2009
Is islam against making money in Business  ?
[/tt][quote][/quote][tt]

I say i laugh in roman figure
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Ayatullah(m): 10:58pm On Jun 23, 2009
It is very clear that the programme you are about developing will aid gambling. I believe you can survive without this project, I know Allah has been sustaining you. Do not be deceived by those who say it is halal. People in your field are no doubt faced with this kind of temptation.

The final decision is yours and you should be ready to bear the consequence in the hereafter ( I wish you a blessed place in paradise). You are already able to sustain yourself without this singular project, so think carefully.

For the Xtians who chose to insult muslims and Islam on this board, I advise you to study islam very well, I was once a christian  before Allah guided me to the beautiful religion of islam, after reading the chapter YASIN which I have beeen erroneously made to believe could be used to kill people, but alas I discovered that it is a lie, the chapter is such a beautiful one that it touches me to my bone marrows. Conscious muslims don't eat trash, they seek for advise and guidance always.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fasting in Ramadan: The 4th Pillar Of Islam / 39 Benefits Of Sending Blessings Upon Prophet Muhammad / 10 Best Times To Make Du'a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.