Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,857 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:52 AM

A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK (20812 Views)

NDDC Foreign Scholarship For Students From Niger-Delta 2017 / Nigerian Student Attempts Suicide In U.K As NDDC Backs Down On Scholarship / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by AnthonyAnderson: 2:08pm On Jan 18, 2016
I really don't know how to start this but I pray this medium brings a solution to our problem.

I write on behalf of over 50 students whom are all beneficiaries of the Niger Delta Development Commission(NDDC) foreign scholarship. In September 2015, we departed for a 12 months Masters programme in the UK. Prior to departure we were informed by NDDC staff that we would pay for visa processing and travel arrangements with our own money with the promise that our allowances would be paid within a month or two on our arrival in the UK. This was shocking to me as I had imagined a commission as big and well funded as the NDDC could easily make necessary arrangements for such just like how PTDF does for its scholars.

I was left with no option but to go begging family and friends to raise the required sum for me to apply for a UK visa, purchase flight tickets and estimated costs for three months accommodation and feeding. I wondered if this was how a foreign scholarship was meant to be. I almost gave up in seeking for assistance but favour smiled on me and I was able to receive donations from family and friends. With the money raised I purchased all I needed and traveled. NDDC had promised to send our allowances by the end of October. On arrival at school I realized that the accommodation was more than I had budgeted for and so could not afford it. Fortunately I had a friend that stayed in the next city and had to put up with him for the time being pending when I would secure an accommodation on receipt of my allowance. Fast forward to last week in November, NDDC officials in their numbers visited us (They surely spent more than half our entire allowance on their trip) promising we would now receive our allowances before the year runs out. Now in the second week of January 2016 we are yet to receive any allowance from NDDC or even assurance of when we will be paid. This is five months into a 12 month programme and not a dime has been sent to us. It might be surprising to note that the same NDDC has paid tuition fees to the schools since they know that the schools will not accept us without tuition fees which is far higher than the allowances we are supposed to receive but for some funny reasons they have refused to send a dime for upkeep(accommodation and feeding). Most of us have tried contacting the officials in the scholarship department of NDDC and all we receive are rude responses giving us the impression we are begging for alms. Particularly one Mrs Sotonye, who is always so rude on the phone whenever she chooses to answer calls to her phone and would never reply text messages sent to her.

My question is how do you send students abroad without giving them a dime for over 5 months? If there is no money for the scholarship why then send people out in the first instance? But surely this is not the case as tuition fees had already been paid. The idea of the scholarship is to relieve our parents of the financial burden of furthering our education because we are mostly not from wealthy homes. We have been forced to finds jobs even though these jobs cannot pay for our monthly house rent. The NDDC is not broke as to to say they cannot afford to send us our allowances. It is sad to see corruption has killed every conscience in people as can be exemplified by NDDC officials in charge of the scholarship whom I wonder if they would love their children to be treated as such.

With the recent ban by the CBN on the use of naira cards you can only imagine our plights as even our parents are helpless towards our situation. It is our hope the president GMB and the new acting chairman of the NDDC Mrs. Ibim Seminitari will quickly come to our aid.

It is our prayers that the bad eggs in the NNDC whom have continually denied us our monthly allowances for months now will be investigated and prosecuted so that future beneficiaries of the scholarship wont be allowed to go through the torture we are currently going through. Sometimes I feel regret... I feel regret because how do I bring out the best in me when i have to constantly remind myself that my next day food is not guaranteed coupled with the load of course work I have to battle at night after school.

It is sad to see that the NDDC has truly failed. One cannot only but imagine that maybe allowances meant for us have been diverted for personal gains.

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by chronos: 2:49pm On Jan 18, 2016
Is there any sector that works in this country

Bro just find a part-time job and use the wages for your upkeep. Get second-hand texts,they're cheaper. Lastly,remember you come from a failed system so don't depend on these leeches who're more interested in emptying our treasury than improving the standard of living of the general populace.

Lalasticlala..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by OreoPaschal(m): 6:41pm On Jan 18, 2016
This is serious...sorry to the affected scholars. I understand how it feels to be stranded and broke in another man's Land. cry cry

5 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by macsmich: 5:17pm On Jan 19, 2016
Hello Everyone, please I need the list of Nddc schools, for the post graduate scholarship. Also, I humbly request for Past question and Answers, I am appying this year 2016, Oil and Gas engineering. please Help me forward to my mail; michaelmacaulay290@gmail.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Rich4god(m): 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2016
Day by day I keep seeing reason why dis country is called a zoo....

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Toeyoursea(m): 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2016
My brother i really feel your pain, may God comfort you and my other country men in this quagmire.

The abysmal arrangement of the scholarship is what you are suffering. A sane government interested in such a scheme will have paid securities in terms of bank overdrafts etc. in advance especially when we had enough to do that ($120 per barrel).

I hope this message gets to the right quarters and saves you from this pitiable condition.
All is well, the lord is your strength .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Flets: 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2016
Everyone must feel this change. Ranging from market women, businessmen, white collar job workers, service entities, hustlers, entrepreneurs, students to even politicians. ....... such that the next time you are approached with propaganda, you go for the jugular.

OP .... the acting NDDC chairman is Amaechi's former commissioner of propaganda. For now they are recouping the stolen election funds spent on Buhari's campaign.

We'll join you in screaming. ... maybe they might have a rethink but the APC govt I know lacks sympathy.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Mutuwa(m): 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2016
undecided
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by ariesbull: 5:25pm On Jan 21, 2016
This is why its not good to depend on Nigerian government

Just hit the streets

2 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Cutesexy1(f): 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2016
U guys should stay strong,i believe the govt will look into u guys plight

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by glaber: 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2016
Yhu have all gone to Ajo Aremabo,
When did NSCDC start giving scholarship
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by hardywaltz(m): 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2016
Not possible
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by mallamseifaldin(m): 5:27pm On Jan 21, 2016
All this SS youths!! Somebody please tell them that the price of crude oil has fallen and Nigeria need to adjust to the current situation we find ourselves.

6 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Adminisher: 5:28pm On Jan 21, 2016
Go to Dieziani's house in London. She has your money.

20 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Sijo01(f): 5:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
Nijiria! Kwurrupsian everywhere! Smh.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by tosynbolade(m): 5:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sorry
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
[quote author=macsmich post=42131370]Hello Everyone, please I need the list of Nddc schools, for the post graduate scholarship. Also, I humbly request for Past question and Answers, I am appying this year 2016, Oil and Gas engineering. please Help me forward to my mail; michaelmacaulay290@gmail.com[/quote

@ macsmich- Someone is complaining of no allowance, you are still asking for past question to write their test.

17 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by prettyeyo: 5:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
Imagine leaving students stranded in a foreign land... Nigeria my country!!
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
Just imagine. Umunna Lekwanu! Something is smelling around this unpaid allowance.............................................................................Another Metuh, Dasuki et al in NDDC
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by crazygod(m): 5:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sad. Bros dem say country don broke o. U'll have to work 2 jobs to cater for ur accommodation and feeding. Trust me when I say I know wat u're going thru. Its not easy. But @ this point, u dnt have a choice

2 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
macsmich:
Hello Everyone, please I need the list of Nddc schools, for the post graduate scholarship. Also, I humbly request for Past question and Answers, I am appying this year 2016, Oil and Gas engineering. please Help me forward to my mail; michaelmacaulay290@gmail.com

With oil @28 dollars?!

2 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by akereconfi: 5:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
una dey learn work

RSSDA students have stayed 13 months without allowance and accommodation

7 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by crazygod(m): 5:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
macsmich:
Did u read this story @ all? Besides, no money in oil and gas again o.

2 Likes

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by madenigga(m): 5:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Jorussia(m): 5:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
I strongly believe that this is a case of fund embezzlement, because if they(NDDC),can afford to pay for tuition i see no reason why payment of stipends will pose any challenge for them.

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
so painful, just keep heart and soul together to get the best
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Ijaya123: 5:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
Reading all those above, I shake my head for the youths of this country.

1 Like

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
Blame Metuh, Dasuki et al
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by Sanchase: 5:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
Una never see anything, una go wait tire.

Better start looking for toilet attendantJobs.
Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by byna: 5:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
If you have legal documents to prove that the promised to pay your feeding and upkeep, Pls drag them to court there. I'm sure you will get accelerated hearing for your inconveniences and plight. I have said it before. Crude oil prices has fallen, a whole shell is relieving 10,000 workers this year. It's better for government to diversify the economy fast to agriculture. If Buhari cannot cope, he should divide the country peacefully.. shekina

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Plea For Help...NDDC has left us hopeless in the UK by ActivismForever: 5:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
Blame buhari. Since the dullard came to power nothing has been working. I foresee the end of Nigeria.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures From Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike Campus / Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities / LASU Lecturer Punishes Student For Not Tucking In His Shirt, Noise Making

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.