Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,794 members, 7,798,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation (708 Views)

See The 'devil' Prank A 15yr Old Boy Played That Made Pastor, Church Members Run / Andrew Ejimadu SEER 1 Deported From Zambia Over Rape Accusation / When You Are Worried: 7 Ways To Remind Yourself Of God's Faithfulness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation by Greenvilla(m): 10:44pm On Jan 19, 2016
In the belief of a worshipping the prophet Mohammed a young boy of 15 yrs cut of his hand following a public accusation of blasphemy. Now I am not against any form of religious worship but to me this is just madness. How does cutting off his hand correct the deed? Have we as humans lost it all in our belief of a super natural being.
Please intelligent Nairalanders what do you think.

See news extracts below

After a Pakistani boy cut off his own hand following a public accusation of blasphemy, BBC Urdu's Iram Abbasi travelled to his village in Punjab province to find out what happened. She is the first international broadcaster to speak to him. Some readers may find the details that follow disturbing.
"Why should I feel any pain or trouble in cutting off the hand that was raised against the Holy Prophet?"
Those are the words of 15-year-old Qaiser (not his real name) who chopped off his right hand just a few days ago believing he had committed blasphemy.
Many believe fellow villagers started shaming the boy after the local cleric had made the accusation of blasphemy - and that is why Qaiser felt the need to prove his love for the Prophet Muhammad.
On 11 January, Qaiser was attending a celebration of the Prophet's birth at a mosque in his village in north-eastern Punjab.
Media captionSpeaking to BBC Urdu's Iram Abbasi, the boy said; "I chopped off my hand... and showed the Imam"
The cleric hosting it worked the crowd into a fervour and, a few hours into the celebration, called out: "Who among you is a follower of Muhammad?" Everyone raised their hands.
He followed it with another question: "Who among you doesn't believe in the teachings of the Holy Prophet? Raise your hands!"
Qaiser, mishearing, inadvertently raised his hand.
Witnessed by about 100 worshippers, the cleric immediately accused him of blasphemy and the boy returned home to prove his love for the Prophet - by cutting off his own hand.
For a 15-year-old, Qaiser looked exceptionally frail when I met him. But his fight with pain and fear was outweighed by a sense of religious righteousness.
"When I raised my right hand unwittingly, I realised I had committed blasphemy and needed to atone for this," he told the BBC.
It appears it didn't matter to him whether it was a mistake or not - he couldn't live with the shame of the accusation without punishing himself, so had to undo it.
"I came back home and went to the grass-cutting machine, but found the place dark so I took my uncle's phone to point some light at my hand. I placed it under the machine and chopped it off in a single swirl."
Qaiser picked his severed hand up from under the machine and, bleeding profusely, placed it on a tray and took it back to the mosque, less than 100 metres from his home.
Asked about everyone's reaction, he said: "They didn't say anything. A few people came forward to take me to the hospital, before I passed out."
Religious fervour did not only override empathy among the villagers - even Qaiser does not seem disposed to self-pity.
"I didn't feel any pain when I chopped it off so why would I feel any now? The hand that commits blasphemy should be chopped off," he said, with a restrained smile.
His entire village is celebrating the act of expiation. The extreme nature of this "devotional" act has made Qaiser into a revered figure.
He is being heralded among the villagers, and to a certain degree by himself, as a righteous hero. Most of his fellow villagers are illiterate and belong to an extremely conservative Islamic sect - their profoundly religious life is reflected in the mosques you find every few paces in this part of Pakistan. But Qaiser's act has even drawn admiration from surrounding villages.
Source http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35341256
Re: Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation by superior1: 10:55pm On Jan 19, 2016
I am sure many Mohammedans of his age will now be aspiring for an occasion to amputate their hands

Re: Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation by Logicbwoy: 10:58pm On Jan 19, 2016
cry cry cry

rilwayne01, empiree, yazach, vedaxcool.
Re: Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation by ayobase(m): 11:34pm On Jan 19, 2016
He should have chopped his arm off for atonement.
Re: Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation by superior1: 11:39pm On Jan 19, 2016
On a second thought, that may be a smart move and he may have spared himself a death sentence as Pakistan is known for their infamous blasphemy law which when transgressed leads to death sentence.
Re: Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation by Empiree: 11:41pm On Jan 19, 2016
Please people, be reasonable.

First all, he cut his own hand at his own volition.

Muslims don't worship the prophet. Nonsense misconception.

His stupidity is equivalent to someone who commits a crime in a secular society knowing that authority is coming for him. He then commits suicide before he gets punished. It's the same parable.
Re: Madness / Faithfulness 15yr Old Cuts Off His Hand Following Blasphemy Accusation by Logicbwoy: 5:24am On Jan 20, 2016
Empiree:
Please people, be reasonable.

First all, he cut his own hand at his own volition.

Muslims don't worship the prophet. Nonsense misconception.

His stupidity is equivalent to someone who commits a crime in a secular society knowing that authority is coming for him. He then commits suicide before he gets punished. It's the same parable.

Denial, Denial, Denial.

Unfortunately, your analogy fails. It fails because the boy didnt commit any crime. Blasphemy is not a crime. But he was shamed and mistreated for his mistake as if it was a crime. The mistreatment plus religious fervor and environment led him to the unfortunate situation of cutting his hand.

Think about this deeply.

(1) (Reply)

I Think It Unfair For Mankind To Be Harmed Spiritually / Religious People Should Think About This (food4thought) / How Can I Draw Closer To God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.