Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,239 members, 7,807,809 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? (13233 Views)

500,000 Employed School Teachers Will Be Paid N23,000 As Monthly Salary / How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview / Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by chocolateme(f): 9:54am On Jan 20, 2016
it has become a general phenomenon for companies and establishments to decline proposing on how much to pay their employ during interviews. They expect the person to come up first with an amount to be paid after which they will deliberate on who has the lowest figure among those interviewed and select from there.
Even the employee will be scared of giving the actual figure he or she thinks its right for the job lest another person goes in and beat him or her down to it especially those that has been working before now.
The establishments are not helping matters too, seeing that the best among them or rather the person they have decided to take for the job is way past below their original intention on the amount to pay him or her, they will keep quiet and allow the salary figure to be as the person stated or they may even reduce it a little yet you see the person very happy to have gotten the job.
For me, it is not really that fair in morals. They should start coming up with the figure they intend paying to whomever they want to employ and stop taking advantage of their fellows.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 20, 2016
You're right op. Its the capitalist mentality, employers just want to use and exploit their employees.

I know my worth as an individual, if the company can't meet up to my expectations financially then they're not for me, kapish!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by nmreports: 4:32am On Jan 21, 2016
It basically depends on three things.

1) If it's a professional experienced position. It has to be stated and you can ask professionally.
2) The direction of the interview can also determine. You should be smart enough to detect how hospitable or better still, how receptive they will be to such question.
3) If you are so confident in yourself and or you have a current job and or you are not really interested in the job.

For me, I will not ask such except ofcourse I am just freestyling. I do attend interviews for the sake of it just to improve my skills and network or expand my knowledge.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by demarc001: 4:27pm On Jan 21, 2016
Employee can hardly mention amount first to you. It also depends on the company, most established organisations already have the pay structure in place, irrespective of your own amount they will still offer you based on their structure. If its a professional/executive position your negotiation is the key. One man biz, you are at the mercy of the owner (if he/she likes your face, you are favored).
I recommend job seekers should know about an organisation before going for interview, do some research about it, get to know about the work environment (if possible make friends with some staff even on first interview) Most importantly PRAY FOR GOD's FAVOUR (even the king's heart is in His hands).

7 Likes

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by dammytosh: 4:27pm On Jan 21, 2016
It changes nothing.

The major reason is so that they will not waste your time.

If they have an opening with budget of 120k per month and you as an applicant is curently on 230k and expcting 350k.

No point wasting your time and theirs.

Just do your home work and ensure you know your worth and the range.

As an employee , you should know what you are looking at before going for interview.
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 21, 2016
For a Corporate Organisation, it is wrong. This is because there have a salary structure.
However, if it is those organisation whose ownership structure is based on families, partnership
even one man business (irrespective of how successful it may be) it's important you ask as such
organisation do not often maintain their structure.

N.B
Make full enquiry before you go for the interview
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by kekakuz(m): 4:28pm On Jan 21, 2016
[size=20pt] ooo ooo what is the point
You will be fired soon anyway
Oil is now less $20 per barrel
We are broke
Microfinance banks are folding up
Comercial banks are retrenching workers
A $ is now 300
Our life's as we know it is over
Worse of all we don't have experienced experts running the economy

[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by captaing59(m): 4:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
I think its lame
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by guruvick(m): 4:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
Why not, is your light grin
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by originally(m): 4:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
I had an experience like that,i refused to mention it and that's the end of the whole process after going through the first stage of interview. They never got back to me
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Atmmachine(m): 4:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
I don't know about Nigeria.
In America, You will be told how much you will be paid hourly, the number of hours you will work every week and every other things you need to know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by goshen26: 4:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
U won't answer the question directly.
1. Study their salary structure if u av an insider
If u don't

2. Answer thus " I know u have a salary structure for every dept in this firm, and I am sure you will be fair to me too.
Even if u r sure if their salary, don't be specific, use range...

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by SHAIBULIAR: 4:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
any job that pays anything less than 500k excluding allowances is a no no for me
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by originally(m): 4:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
kekakuz:
B
dason4life:
ok
guruvick:
B
That's why some are rich and some poor, the founder of this forum is a youth like you, why you're busy booking space in someone's ideas

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by greggng: 4:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
originally:
I had an experience like that,i refused to mention it and that's the end of the whole process after going through the first stage of interview. They never got back to me

You re seen as someone who doesn't know what he wants.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by grandstar(m): 4:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
chocolateme:
it has become a general phenomenon for companies and establishments to decline proposing on how much to pay their employ during interviews. They expect the person to come up first with an amount to be paid after which they will deliberate on who has the lowest figure among those interviewed and select from there.
Even the employee will be scared of giving the actual figure he or she thinks its right for the job lest another person goes in and beat him or her down to it especially those that has been working before now.
The establishments are not helping matters too, seeing that the best among them or rather the person they have decided to take for the job is way past below their original intention on the amount to pay him or her, they will keep quiet and allow the salary figure to be as the person stated or they may even reduce it a little yet you see the person very happy to have gotten the job.
For me, it is not really that fair in morals. They should start coming up with the figure they intend paying to whomever they want to employ and stop taking advantage of their fellows.
They need to know whether they can meet your expectations. They may even pay you more. If your expectations is far above their budget, fear fit catch them if they employ you as you may become unproductivve
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by 247notire(m): 4:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
Lol. Error niyen o! Most times the company expects u to have done ur own background checks to get an idea of their salary structure. Also, if ur successful at the interview, u'll get to the final stage where grade or pay as the case may be, is thoroughly discussed. An offer letter on which ur total annual breakdown is contained is handed to you and if u don't like the pay u see u can either tell them it's short of ur expectations and reject their offer. If they really want u, they'll increase the offer. This is an HR person speaking...

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by guruvick(m): 4:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
originally:
That's why some are rich and some poor, the founder of this forum is a youth like you, why you're busy booking space in someone's ideas

Oga... ma God bless you

For your pain

I know you are pained because I first you reach there cool
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by goshen26: 4:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
Atmmachine:
I don't know about Nigeria.
In America, You will be told how much you will be paid hourly, the number of hours you will work every week and every other things you need to know.

My bro....ther not in naija, they will even want u to work for 24 hours, and pay u for 3hours
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Kangol99(m): 4:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
Yes oooo if you know your worth
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by abushman: 4:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
Q
Suigeneris93:
You're right op. Its the capitalist mentality, employers just want to use and exploit their employees.
I know my worth as an individual, if the company can't meet up to my expectations financially then they're not for me, kapish!
A
dammytosh:
It changes nothing.
The major reason is so that they will not waste your time.
If they have an opening with budget of 120k per month and you as an applicant is curently on 230k and expcting 350k.
No point wasting your time and theirs.
Just do your home work and ensure you know your worth and the range.
As an employee , you should know what you are looking at before going for interview.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by originally(m): 4:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
greggng:

You re seen as someone who doesn't know what he wants.

I told them i will go with the company's salary structure buh they just wanna to force me to say an amount since i just finished my nysc, dats few years back. I glad i didnt anyways

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Atmmachine(m): 4:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
goshen26:

My bro....ther not in naija, they will even want u to work for 24 hours, and pay u for 3hours

Lol
In America, they do everything accordingly or else people will sue their ass for $34 million.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
originally:

We book space so as to be able to make good comment, not rushing to trash rubbish.
grin

I want to ask you a question . . .What the hell is your BUSINESS WITH THAT?

****You are not a mod, are you? - Oniranu****

3 Likes

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by originally(m): 4:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
guruvick:

Oga... ma God bless you

For your pain

I know you are pained because I first you reach there cool

Since u first me na, so what's ur price?
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by executioner27: 4:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
chocolateme:

I wouldnt say its fair or not. The thing is...as you prepare for the interview,you have researched about the company either by internet or asking people. Use that same opportunity and ask about the job role u r being interviewed. The salary and all. U will definitely get different answers as per what different companies pay for that position. With that you have an idea. Then u know u cant go lower than this nor higher than this. Just as for in between.
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by viktor01(m): 4:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
As if they will eventually pay you what you think you deserve.
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by CharlyNick: 4:40pm On Jan 21, 2016
There'S absolutely nothing wrong with that
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by darepoju(m): 4:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
Appreciating the glory of God over ma life....iyam plus 1 today....Happybirthday to me... smileyi

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Simple Mistakes That Can Sabotage Your Job Search. / Hotel Staff Or IRS Staff? Which Should I Go For? / I got a Customer Support Job And I I Don't Have the require experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.