Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Meet Nigeria First Olympic Medalist Ever Who Later Got Blind (PICS) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Meet Nigeria First Olympic Medalist Ever Who Later Got Blind (PICS) (599 Views)

Personality Profile: Nojim Maiyegun, Nigeria`s First Olympic Medallist / Police Brutalise Nigeria Gold Medalist With Jack Knife At A Bank In Abeokuta(pix / Nojim Maiyegun Nigerias 1st Ever Olympic Medalist Who Is Blind &Lives In Austria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet Nigeria First Olympic Medalist Ever Who Later Got Blind (PICS) by DJBIGGY(m): 1:14pm On Jan 20, 2016
Nojim Maiyegun, a former Nigerian Middleweight boxer and champion and also Nigeria`s first Olympic medallist, was born in February 21, 1944 in Lagos. He won the bronze medal in the men`s Light Middleweight (71 kg) category at the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, becoming Nigeria`s first Olympic medalist.

Maiyegun, famously called Omo Oloja by fans, has spent more than half of his life in Austria where he had decided to settle since 1971 in order to attract more international fights.

Besides winning the Olympic medal, he won a bronze at the Commonwealth Games in Kinston, Jamaica in 1966 and a few more medals which included an African Championship gold and a medal from the 1960 Independence celebration tournament.Maiyegun’s dream of winning a world title was cut short by blindness. He had to take up menial jobs to survive after his boxing career ended in Austria. He was employed as a street cleaner and janitor but had to be accompanied to carry out his duties. He worked for 28 years before retiring.

According to him, “I’m not sure what could have caused the blindness but doctors thought it could have been from punches on the head. It started partially, and at a point I had to fight a world championship title bout with the sight problem. I lost the fight on decision but it is on record that I am the first blind boxer to fight for a title. I could see with one eye then.”

http://www.olamzy.com/2016/01/meet-nigeria-first-olympic-medalist-ever.html

Re: Meet Nigeria First Olympic Medalist Ever Who Later Got Blind (PICS) by playtheblues(f): 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2016
So sorry.

(1) (Reply)

5 Midfielders Who Could Replace Andres Iniesta At Barcelona In The Future.part 1 / Sorry Cristiano, You're Wrong! Real Madrid Would Be Even Worse With A Team Of R / UEFA Champions League Draw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.