Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate (47196 Views)

5 Ways You Can Avoid Carryovers As A Fresh Student / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Agbo Odeh-Hillary Of BSU Breaks Academic Record After 17 Carryovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Dapromzy333(m): 4:13pm On Jan 21, 2016
Carry overs in the university system is normal; it basically means a student has an unfinished business. A student can only carry over a course when he or she scores 39 downward in both C.A and exam (over 100).

Carry overs are not in all cases a real reflection of how intelligent or not intelligent a student is, rather it's a reflection of how unserious, unsmart (if that word exist), unchecked and uninterested a student is.

I have seen highly intelligent students have numerous carry overs and relatively dull students pass through without carry overs. Such is life, that's why a coin is two sided. Carry over can also be a result of unfortunate and unlucky incidents, such as missing scripts, lecturer's attitude towards marking your script, or even a student's handwriting (that's right).

I have once been a victim of an unlucky situation. I was not around Kogi State when an assignment worth 20 marks was been submitted, when I heard about it I quickly rushed back to school from Lagos to get mine submitted. Unluckily for me, the lecturer in charge of the course is very strict and sent me out of his office. I thought to myself," I still have 80 marks to fight for so why panic".

This lecturer is the kind that barely comes to class, but he gave us a material to read ahead of his exam. For most part of Monday evenings we'll wait in class expecting him to come to class but he never does. On the day I decided I wasn't going to wait in class for him, he showed up in class and seeing how scanty the class was he decided to conduct test with the little number of students in class.

The test was for 20 marks and I missed it, making it 40 marks missed already which ruled me out of contention to score an A. Words can't describe how devastated I was during this period, my worst fear of carrying over a course is lurking around me. I tried bottling my sadness and fear until the lecturer announced that marks will deducted for every undotted Is and uncrossed Ts in his exam, he was basically asking for a perfectly written error free exam which looked impossible under the sort of pressure we were in.

I prayed to God about the situation, focused a little bit more on that course than the others, did a whole lot of library work and research and when the exam came around I completely smashed it, narrowly escaping a carryover (which many of my mates had) that would have completely changed the dynamics of my academics.

Am still grateful to God till today, who knows what it might have been....

Reasons why you must completely avoid carry overs:

-It brings you down;
A) Academically: having carry-over means you have F (0) in that course. It’s bad, it’s really bad. Having an E(2) or a D(4) is far better than having a carryover. It means you just scored 0 after studying a course for a semester and it will definitely reflect on your result.

B) Psychologically: having a carryover affects the psyche of a student. It’s that evil. You don't feel whole again, you won't feel yourself among your peers anymore; you'll feel devastated, less intelligent, less smart and so on. Carry overs inflict serious psychological damage on the bearer. It brings your thinking and psyche to the lowest minimum.

C) Physically: keeping tabs with your main courses is physically tasking enough, add carry overs to that and you'll barely sleep at night. You have to meet up with the time table of your main courses, then meet up with the schedule of your carry over courses, that's so physically demanding, it’s almost like punishment.

-It's hard to recover: even though its technically possible to recover from the evils of carry overs and get your academics back on track, it's extremely difficult and take so much determination and hard work.

-The odds aren't favourable: the odds of you graduating with a great result or a good result shifts every time you carry over a course. Imagine doing a carry-over course in place of an easy to pass elective course...

- It leads to self-esteem issues: when you are writing a carryover paper with guys that are below you, it’s a hard hit on your esteem and confidence level. You certainly won't be the most confident person on campus, in fact you'll be the least confident, if you're not then its either you're shameless, delusional, dull or completely out of touch.

- It’s a bad experience all together: the demanding schedule, the insult by lecturers, the embarrassment of writing a carry-over exam with your "juniors"...it’s a bad experience all together.

How To Avoid A Carry Over:

-Never joke with your Continuous Assessment C.A

-Always be around class and get adequately informed

-Serious studying: studying isn't every one's bread and butter, not everyone enjoys reading and reading, it’s not sweet at all, but you got to do it. That's the way. Use the library to research helpful information as much as you can.

-Do your calculations: your GPA and stuffs

-Always add to what you know

-Always do the conventional first: do what's required of you in test or an exam first, and then spice it up with the result of your research to the lecturers delight.

-Be strong physically and psychologically: in KSU only the strong will survive

-Use your time and work with schedule

-And finally and most importantly...Know your God...

http://solutionclass.com/forum2_theme_110811609.xhtml?tema=1216

lalasticlala

73 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by tpiar: 4:17pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thank you for the info.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by AkProsper(m): 4:27pm On Jan 21, 2016
Work and pray

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
I never had a carry over.

OP, I never went to the library... too quiet. And you forgot something important...cramming. Read, study well and cram...cram... cram... Cram hard. Naija lecturers love it when u give them what's on their note during exams.

When u have few brainy friends your academic life go tight.

Don't ever sit close to a dull student during exams. You will end up answering only 3 questions instead of 5.

Don't ever give bribe to pass a course. It's a sin and one of its punishment is more carryovers.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by callJesu: 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
From Polytechnic to University, I had no carry over,. However it's by the grace of God. Nevertheless if you have press on and be more diligent

6 Likes

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by kfrosh: 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
Story for the gods angry

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
ok
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Smellymouth: 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
angry
Some students have already carried over their faculty sef grin cheesy
Click like if you think the dude below me needs to visit yaba left grin

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
The number of 18yr old pvssys entering UMD is enough for me to have carryovers for life but this hoes wont stay if you ain got game so you just need to GET THE FVCK OUT and make money

OP is your lecturer related to Hitler? Undotted Is and uncrossed Ts...na their kind dey die on top pvssy unless you taking English courses

Had a carryover in my first year, that shiit messed me up, i had to give up a gym class(you basically just show up..easy grade) to take it again.
angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Firstb0rn(m): 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
Tell them

1 Like

ok
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by godman01(m): 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
We all know it's not good. Knowing how to prevent it and deal with it is the main good of the write-up.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by vault(m): 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
its somehow inevitable but u have to try hard not to get it

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by HonourablePomk: 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thanks
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by dipopooo(m): 5:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
[sup][/sup]
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by VickyRotex(f): 5:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
Nice info Op. So true cool

I can just say, Only God saw me through my undergrad without a single Carryover.

I'm trusting him for more grace in my Grad degree!

Failure is not an Option embarassed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Meel: 5:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
Narrowly had carry over last semester. 40E chm Thank you Jesus
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by ayoola648(m): 5:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
cry
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Lamasta(m): 5:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
I had 3 in first semester and 1 in second semester of my first year I can tell you those carryover tormented me, helped me buckle up and forced me to always set goals and draw up personal time table and since then I can say inspite of the fact that the carryovers affected my self esteem and some other things I can say it helped me become organized and closer to God and after the carryover in the first year I had none again...Let Somebody Shout halleluyah

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by dipopooo(m): 5:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
[sup][/sup] shocked
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by temibobo8(f): 5:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
i swear ds write up long diee...chai...we av hear uu...eshey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by html14java(f): 5:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
i see

2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Lasveg(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21, 2016
No more 'E' in UNN. score below 45 and its carry over o'clock... If u graduate frm UNN without a single carry over, u be baba be dat.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Toeyoursea(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21, 2016
My GP is in the same condition as Nigeria's economy and i have taken a thing or two from this article.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Chuukwudi(m): 6:00pm On Jan 21, 2016
Intresting
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by LilSmith55(m): 6:00pm On Jan 21, 2016
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Andyblaze: 6:00pm On Jan 21, 2016
Chan
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by jauntty: 6:00pm On Jan 21, 2016
I hated Carry overs with passion when I was in school

Wrote a total of 108 courses in my stay in UNIBEN and failed 1 in my 4th Year and 2 in my 5th year (No thks to my GF )
..... And 49.99% was a fail in my department

1. I hated having to take lectures with my juniors, especially when you already toasting, roasting and "floating " with the girls in the lower level

2. The lecturer will just look at me sometimes and say 'Young man, we did this last year in class, tell us the answer '.

3. The crazy Exam officers will sometimes place ur main course and a Carry-over course on the same day and time.... Last I checked, I ain't in GHOST MODE

12 Likes

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by saintfaculty(m): 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
grin
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by oppybouy(m): 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
No one consciously prepares for a carryover bro. Trust me. No grade wey I no get For for uni oo. From A to F grin buh I thank God sha.
Nice write up still.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by daemrys(m): 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
no one knows it all, like my Pharmacist do say,everybody wants to pass,buh not everybody will pass...tho, through out my 3years in college as a pharmacy technician, I never had a carryover,just self determination and d grace of God

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by nickxtra(m): 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
Good. I still can't fathom why I had a carry over in a course I thought was not too difficult for me- CSC200. Although, I thank God that I got B in it when I resat for it. N.B. A friend later told me that scoring B at a resit is far better than scoring D or E in the main exam. Pls how true is this assertion?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fresh University Graduate Awaiting NYSC Dies In Her Sleep / Benjamin Ola. Akande Appointed As President Of Champlain College In America / Where To Download Textbooks Pdf/ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.