Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,129 members, 7,807,420 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

How To Identify A Good Oil Filter - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Identify A Good Oil Filter (4106 Views)

Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time / 5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Piyke: 9:24pm On Jan 21, 2016

My tip to buying a good oil filter is very easy and can be applied by just anyone! No special skills are required and you don’t have to be a petrolhead to know how to do this.

Before going on to the tip, I perform a dissection of a good and a lesser quality filter for comparison. The OEM Honda filter (15400-plc-004) commonly available in Nigeria is compared to the after-market Vic C-809 oil filter made for Honda's.

One of the filters is definitely superior...

Read more @ http://www.diyautoworksng.com/how-to-buy-good-car-oil-filter/
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Marpol: 6:18am On Jan 22, 2016
Without seeing the interior how can one identify a good filter?
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Piyke: 10:24am On Jan 22, 2016
Marpol:
Without seeing the interior how can one identify a good filter?

You can get a peek at the interior from the large screw-on hole smiley. The orderliness and tightness in the arrangement of the filter pleats, visual on the bypass valve and then from the perimeter (smaller holes) you can see if the filter has an anti-drain back valve or not. Irregular filter pleats is a quick give-away to a poor quality filter.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by anneki(m): 5:06pm On Jan 22, 2016
Which of the two filters that you cut open had the irregularly spaced pleats?

For the price they are sold here we both know that none of them originated from the Honda Manufacturing Plant so there are no legal issues to worry about.
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 22, 2016
Mr Piyke Pls In the third picture? which of them is the one that was in the honda oil filter?
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Piyke: 9:28pm On Jan 22, 2016
anneki:
Which of the two filters that you cut open had the irregularly spaced pleats?

For the price they are sold here we both know that none of them originated from the Honda Manufacturing Plant so there are no legal issues to worry about.

dumo1:
Mr Piyke Pls In the third picture? which of them is the one that was in the honda oil filter?

Irregular pleats is the Honda filter (Toyo Roki) made in Japan and commonly available in Nigeria.

You'd be surprised to know that I would recommend this Vic C-809 filter ahead of the made in US Fram oil filter that a lot of people pay so much to get
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by lonelydora: 3:38am On Jan 23, 2016
My mechanic said, any filter with spring inside is a good one. grin grin
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 23, 2016
This is from personal opinion and I've never lost an engine in my life.

Buy a factory filter or a high quality OEM version. I use K&N, Mann filters when factory is not available.

I wouldn't put a Fram oil filter on my lawn mower.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by alphaNomega: 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2020
Hey Piyke, how often do you service your Honda and what kind of oil do you use?
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Piyke: 9:13pm On Sep 08, 2020
alphaNomega:
Hey Piyke, how often do you service your Honda and what kind of oil do you use?

Generally between 3500 - 4500 miles. I use conventional 5w-30 oil. Oil must have the starburst. STP Pro formula is the brand I use.
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by alphaNomega: 3:04am On Sep 09, 2020
Piyke:

Generally between 3500 - 4500 miles. I use conventional 5w-30 oil. Oil must have the starburst. STP Pro formula is the brand I use.
I see, it doesn't matter if the oil is synthetic or conventional, as long as the weight is within spec, yes?
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Piyke: 6:23pm On Sep 09, 2020
alphaNomega:

I see, it doesn't matter if the oil is synthetic or conventional, as long as the weight is within spec, yes?

Depends... Some vehicles specifically call for synthetic oil. Asides that, weight within spec, regular changes and good quality oil are good practices.
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by drmuchin: 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2020
pls kindly explain 'starburst"?

Piyke:

Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by Piyke: 7:06pm On Sep 10, 2020
drmuchin:
pls kindly explain 'starburst"?

It's the certification seal of the American Petroleum Institute

Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by radautoworks: 7:14pm On Sep 13, 2020
Step 1 did you get it from Carquest?

Yes? Definitely a good filter

No? Maybe it's a good filter? grin
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by lilkech(m): 10:37pm On Sep 13, 2020
radautoworks:
Step 1 did you get it from Carquest?

Yes? Definitely a good filter

No? Maybe it's a good filter? grin

What if I change my filter ‘every other oil change’ (average of 9,000 - 10,000 miles), would you warranty your filter for such a duration of use?
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by radautoworks: 11:19pm On Sep 13, 2020
lilkech:

What if I change my filter ‘every other oil change’ (average of 9,000 - 10,000 miles), would you warranty your filter for such a duration of use?

If you buy a filter rated for 10,000 miles, yes. You do realize doing that with a regular filter is killing your engine right?

1 Like

Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by lilkech(m): 7:59am On Sep 14, 2020
radautoworks:

If you buy a filter rated for 10,000 miles, yes. You do realize doing that with a regular filter is killing your engine right?

So you do stock such filters. How much is it? For a Honda Accord

I know using a below standard filter for such practice will be detrimental in the long run.
Re: How To Identify A Good Oil Filter by radautoworks: 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2020
lilkech:

So you do stock such filters. How much is it? For a Honda Accord

I know using a below standard filter for such practice will be detrimental in the long run.

What year Honda Accord? Or you can check yourself with this https://www.nairaland.com/post/92790045

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

IVM Carris Is A Beauty To Behold. / Mercedes-benz GLS 2017 Review: Luxury SUV / Advise On Buying A Nigerian Used Infiniti G35 (2004)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.