Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . (3129 Views)

Your “deeply Held Religious Belief” Isn’t Biblical: Here's Why / Would You Accept A Blood Transfusion Against Your Religious Belief? / Rick Warren's "miracle" Shows The Absurdity Of Religious Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by egoldman(m): 8:52am On Oct 29, 2006
Nigeria have been found to be the most religious country in the world by a BBC poll,it amazes me why we still have so much corruption in Nigeria despite being "so close" to God ,please read details below :

[center]
Nigeria leads in religious belief[/center]

Ten thousand people were questioned in the ICM poll for the BBC programme What The World Thinks Of God.

Over 90% of Nigerians said they believed in God, prayed regularly and would die for their belief.

The highest levels of belief were found in some of the world's poorer countries, as well as in the US.

The countries polled were the US, the UK, Israel, India, South Korea, Indonesia, Nigeria, Russia, Mexico and Lebanon. The interviews were carried out in January 2004.

India and Indonesia were also recorded as countries with a high level of belief in God.

But the results of the poll showed that levels of belief and religious activity in the UK, Russia and South Korea were consistently lower than in most of the other countries polled.
In Lebanon and the US, 71% said they were willing to die for their God or their beliefs.

In most of the countries covered, well over 80% said they believed in God or a higher power. In Nigeria the figure was 100% and in the US 91%, with the UK scoring lowest at 67%.
In Nigeria 91% of people said they regularly attended a religious service, contrasting with 21% in the UK and only 7% of Russians. The average across the 10 countries was 46%.

In most countries well over 80% of the sample agreed that a belief in God or a higher power made people better human beings, with only 56% agreeing in the UK - by far the lowest figure.
The subject of prayer found 95% of Nigerians and 67% in the US claiming to pray regularly.

Those saying they never prayed included 29% of Israelis and 25% of Britons. But across the entire sample, almost 30% of all atheists surveyed said they sometimes prayed.
so why then do we have so much bad image when we are "so religious " cry

taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/wtwtgod/3490490.stm
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by mamaput(f): 9:58am On Oct 29, 2006
very true
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by dominobaby(f): 2:02pm On Oct 29, 2006
Being religious is different from practicing true christianity. Being religious is more of an activity thing, going to church reading the bible, etc, without having a true, genuine relationship with God.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by egoldman(m): 3:41pm On Oct 29, 2006
dominobaby:

Being religious is different from practicing true christianity. Being religious is more of an activity thing, going to church reading the bible, etc, without having a true, genuine relationship with God.

nice point cool
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by TV01(m): 6:26pm On Oct 30, 2006
Dominobaby nailed it! Although I doubt "religious" people read their bibles, or at least not with an open heart. It's just to confirm their denominational traditions and doctrines.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by oziomatv(m): 10:51am On Mar 22, 2008
The issue is not ducking our brain with religious books and all her teachings.
The issue is changing our way of life, how we feel like getting what we want.
how we get what we lack, these are things that defines honesty and criminality.
what we need in Nigeria is a change in our way of life.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by almondjoy(f): 1:26pm On Mar 24, 2008
When you are a hypocrite. . . .the world sees what you are while you deceive yourself.  Nigeria can have all the churches on fiery mountains in this world, but as long as their hearts remain darker than the insides of the albino baboon's arse. . . .nothing good can come out of there.  The rewards of hypocrisy is emptiness and lack of fulfillment!

The reasons why Nigerians are always frustrated. . . no peace for the hypocrite while they preach shit! kiss The more they pray, the more their prayers are rejected. What a rip off! grin
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by redsun(m): 2:34pm On Mar 24, 2008
America is just another developed third world,people are so naive and ignorant,Can somebody tune in to aol news forum and listen to americans,their hates and anguish against one another.

People in most cases trade religion for common sense,america lacks spiritual commonsense,not basic like nigeria or aslam.They are seeking air,mirage.

Nigerian problems are inbedded in fundamental ignorance.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 24, 2008
I don't think Jesus was engaging in sweet talk when he said not everyone that calls me lord would enter into the kingdom of God. wink
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 24, 2008
This is just so sad.
Most Nigerians identify themselves by Christianity or Is'lam.
The Nigerian situation is  perplexing.
Corruption is an all time high such that even the so called religious leaders are not exempt from corruption.
It has permeated the very fabric of our nation  such that it's almost impossible to trust anyone.

Religion is the fastest growing business in Nigeria.It's the quickest way to "make it" nowadays.
A large number who actually  call themselves Christians are not by the definition of that word.
Most Nigerians know the language of the Bible and use it openly.
Shout Praise the Lord in any Nigerian circle and a resounding Alleluia follows.
To most people it's no different from shouting "Igbo Kwenu" in a gathering of umunna.

Almost all our "Christian leaders" from presidents to Local Govts Chairs claim to be born again Christians
The Mus'lim ones claim to be pious and holy men yet they embezzle,loot and steal from the masses,korokoro with no apologies.

The biggest problem in Nigeria is not corruption.
The biggest problem is that that there's no rule of law,people go unpunished for stealing because the institution set up to punish them are non existent.
America is a very corrupt soceity too but it's law works and the criminals know it and people are held accountable for their actions be you a Governor or president.

Only God can save us!
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by manmustwac(m): 9:14pm On Aug 07, 2009
nwando:

Only God can save us!
I personally don't believe god will save us we have to save ourselves. Like our ancestors who believed in gods and superstition hundreds of years ago, we too, who live in a civilized society are just the same. In my opinion the only reason why nigerians are so religious is because they fear the unknown. They fear death a lot more than your typical average white caucasian. So we go to church pay our bribes tithes to appease god and continue with our negative ways believeing deep down that we will make it to Heaven.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by Horus(m): 11:05pm On Aug 07, 2009
Nigeria have been found to be the most religious country in the world by a BBC poll,it amazes me why we still have so much corruption in Nigeria despite being "so close" to God ,please read details below :

Nigerians are whorshiping Satan on the cross and you are amazed at the corruption level in Nigeria.?  shocked

1- Nigeria leads in religious belief
2- Nigeria leads in Corruption
3- Coincidence?. No!!
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by manmustwac(m): 8:09pm On Nov 26, 2009
dominobaby:

But everybody believes thier having a true relationship with god. If u question them anout thier negative ways u hear statements like ''only god can judge me" or ''god is my witness'' its as if the whole country is living in denial
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by jagunlabi(m): 2:22pm On Nov 27, 2009
-Just because nigerians are religious does not mean that they have morals and ethics.
-Not to have morals and ethics is to be corrupt.
-This, in effect, means that one can be religious but still remain very corrupt, especially since religions create avenues for denials of one's own responsibilities.

That explains nigeria, does it not?It is really no mystery.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by agathamari(f): 5:00pm On Nov 29, 2009
i would have thought the Philippeans would be the most religious.  on easter people crucify (literally) themselves in a show of their faith.

always found it intresting how priests in the west take a vow of poverty but here they are the richest people around.  i am yet to see a soup kitchen, homeless shelter or after school program sponcered by any church here

beside i find the numbers for the us rather high.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by CrazyMan(m): 8:11pm On Nov 29, 2009
That is because they don't pratice what they're being taught.

Whenever they go to their various places of worship, they hear the truth; but greed won't allow them put it into pratice.
Re: Nigeria Leads In Religious Belief,yet We Are So Corrupt . by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 14, 2011
agathamari:

always found it intresting how priests in the west take a vow of poverty but here they are the richest people around.  i am yet to see a soup kitchen, homeless shelter or after school program sponcered by any church here

It's true. My parents are Nigerians, but I grew up in America. So I was shocked when one of my dad's friends, who is a priest, came to visit and was throwing around money like water. The priests in America live very humble lives, and could never afford all the designer clothes and iPads he was buying. And on top of that, my mom said he was expecting us to give him money because people give him money all the time! For no reason! And another Nigerian priest I know has all kinds of mistresses. What happened to vows of celibacy and chastity?

It seems to me they don't practice what they preach. Sorry to be cliche.

(1) (Reply)

God Is Unfair! / Sell Your Soul !! / A Reply To Vick$rill's Thread: A Big Thank You To Kingebukanaija, Winer01 And...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.