Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,439 members, 7,781,285 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:45 AM

I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? (651 Views)

Jewish Scientists In Anambra To Present DNA Result To Show Igbos Are From Israel / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Signed By Jewish Rabbi & Enyinnaya Abaribe In Abuja (Photos) / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Conditions: Jewish Surety, N300m, No Interviews, Crowd Of 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? by stonemind(f): 11:44am On Jan 23, 2016
I’m African American, but about a year ago I received the results of genetic testing, which indicated that I’m 5 percent Ashkenazi Jew. My European genetic makeup is around 15 percent.

Family lore (which, of course, can be notoriously unreliable) shared stories about possible Native American ancestry, but Native American ancestry wasn’t part of my genetic makeup. I was, however, rather blown away to find that I was, in small part, Ashkenazi Jew. No one in my family, on either side, is able to account for it.

On my mother’s side, I’ve discovered a story of a European ancestor who was married to who I believe was my great-great-great-grandmother, Hannah Simmons. Hannah was born around 1820. The name of her husband (the rumored ancestor of European descent) was Jack or John, I believe. I’m unsure. Some folks in the family suggest that she married twice (remarrying after her first white husband died).

Via Mocavo, I found a record of Hannah in the 1900 census; she was listed as the mother of a head of household, Jake Green. Although the family lore is that Hannah’s husband was European, I don’t quite buy this story. One of Hannah’s sons, Ransom, never mentioned having a white or mulatto father. We have a picture of Ransom, and to simply eyeball him, he doesn’t look phenotypically European-African biracial. He’s quite dark.

My questions: Is it possible that the Jewish ancestry comes from a husband of Hannah’s? If so, what was his name and where was he from? Finally, how can I find out more about her, such as which plantation she lived on in South Carolina and who her parents were? —Schlese

What Do Your Ashkenazi Results Mean?

First, to your question about where your Jewish ancestry comes from: We consulted genetic genealogist CeCe Moore about it. She told us in an email that indeed, if Hannah’s husband was white, he could have been the ancestor who contributed the Ashkenazi DNA to your genetic makeup. “If this man were indeed your third great-grandfather, then you would expect to inherit about 3 percent of your total autosomal DNA from him. Since autosomal-DNA inheritance is random, it is theoretically possible that you inherited as much as 5 percent of your DNA from him. It is also possible that her husband could have been biracial and each of his parents contributed some of that Ashkenazi Jewish DNA or that Hannah Simmons herself had some European Jewish ancestry.”

Since you have the Ashkenazi DNA present in your results, there is no doubt that some of your ancestors were descended from a small isolated population who are genetically similar to one another. You can read more about the genetic closeness of individuals with Ashkenazi autosomal DNA in this article by Moore: “Ashkenazi Jewish DNA and the Potential to Piece Together Shattered Family Branches.” This could help you understand how to work with the matches you have to distant cousins through your DNA results to shed light on your Jewish roots.

Since we know the possibilities, the question then becomes: Can we confirm your family by identifying Hannah Simmons’ husband of European descent? Unfortunately, we were not able to locate the husband you describe, but we did find some clues that can help you trace the family backward.

Looking at the Simmons Family in Mississippi

You have been able to locate Hannah Simmons in the 1900 U.S. census, which shows her residing in Jasper County, Miss. According to the census, Hannah was born about 1820 in South Carolina. We noted that her relation to the head of the household, Jake Green, was “mother,” although Jake’s parents were both born in Mississippi, as were his wives. Keep in mind, when you’re reading census records, that relationships may not be entirely specific, and “mother” could mean that she was Jake Green’s mother or his mother-in-law. Based on the ages of the individuals, Hannah was actually likely Jake’s grandmother, since she would have been 53 years old when Jake was born.

http://rahmanmighty..com/2016/01/i-am-black-but-discovered-i-have-jewish.html?m=1

Re: I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? by TippyTop(m): 11:54am On Jan 23, 2016
If you're black and you find Jewish dna in your make up, please don't tell your dad.
Re: I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? by Mologi(m): 12:08pm On Jan 23, 2016
On your own...na oyo u dey
Re: I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? by Tolexander: 12:16pm On Jan 23, 2016
You be Igbo or Biafran!
Re: I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? by tafabaloo(m): 12:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
E be like say foreign witches dey suck your blood.
Re: I Am Black But Discovered I Have Jewish DNA. Where Is It From? by Lanretoye(m): 12:49pm On Jan 23, 2016
TippyTop:
If you're black and you find Jewish dna in your make up, please don't tell your dad.
See as the mumu dey expose him mama,he com spoil the whole thing by writing stupid long essay like person wey dem give instruction for waec.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Hav U Or Anyone U Know Successfully Obtained Loan From National Housing Fund / Minister Of Finance, Kemi Adeosun Receives Courtesy Visit From Police IGP (Pics) / If Elected,i Will Make Naira Equal To Dollar-buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.