Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,256 members, 7,807,883 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? (15230 Views)

Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed / "Super Rich Churches That Do Business Must Pay Tax" – Sheikh Abdur-Rahman Ahmad / Will I Go To Hell For Not Paying Tax To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by jhydebaba(m): 3:49pm On Jan 27, 2016
Yes oh!

Anything to boost the economy is welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by optional1(f): 3:49pm On Jan 27, 2016
Dy no dy pay tax b4
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Fiwasayo(f): 3:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
BALLOSKI:
Yes! That's if they use the religious houses to do business or generate revenue of any kind.

Many religious houses are business centers

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nicepoker(m): 3:51pm On Jan 27, 2016
Fiwasayo:
Churches should,they sure do make a lot of money than mosques.
yoruba moselm spotted.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by pat077: 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
Since churches and mosques are more than the numbers of industries we have in the country, I think there's need for them to start paying taxes.

2 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by MadCow1: 3:53pm On Jan 27, 2016
They should pay taxes.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by 2goodbobo(m): 3:57pm On Jan 27, 2016
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Imagine Churches don't pay tax but yet some build universities and are still not taxed and

their school fees are so high. Since you are not taxed, why then do you collect fees? Why

not make your Universities free. All of them should be taxed accordingly IMO.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Owliver(m): 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2016
Fiwasayo:
Churches should,they sure do make a lot of money than mosques.
trash. is paying tax determined by the amount made? everybody pays tax rich or poor.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Alfred200825(m): 3:59pm On Jan 27, 2016
If Jesus could pay his tax, who are Bishops, Imams,Pastors Priests not to pay their tax?
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by modath(f): 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2016
Tvegas:
Do churches use public services like roads,security etc?. If yes they should be made to pay taxes or contribute to some special public fund.

My spouse & i had this convo not long ago when we went through the amount of CDs & books we've purchased .....

The other day, we were being coerced into "seed offering" for an institution that is fee paying ... I just looked at the people running to the altar to write their names for pledges like , "don't you people have people who need help around you" , cleaners in offices, security guys etc , if all your family & friends are balling !!!

Our churches are sitting on goldmines already, they don't our help, most of our mega churches can finance MDA budgets....

Aswear, if not for not forsaking gathering of brethrens, a don taya for the shenanigans! ! sad

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2016
Yea, u are on point
Edygrin:
They shouldn't forget to add shrines too.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by ceminez: 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2016
[size=30pt]YES[/size]
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by NobleAngell(f): 4:02pm On Jan 27, 2016
What! Are you even asking? YES THEY SHOULD. Ain't nothing wrong with that. They should partake in the development of the nation.

Oh and FYI, I AM A CHRISTIAN. Before some bitter leaf souls start vomiting bitterness.

2 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Standing5(m): 4:04pm On Jan 27, 2016
That's like taxing the givers of the church money at earning and spending stage of its life cycle. You tax the payer of tithes at the point of earning and then try to tax them at the point of them giving it out. Dumb idea it is.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Thread: 4:10pm On Jan 27, 2016
Yes, they should. Most Churches make more money than some companies
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by flokii: 4:11pm On Jan 27, 2016
no big deal in that...

give to govt. what is govt.'s and give to God what is God's

at least we don't use d old church/mosque style anymore.. any tomdi*ck and harry can open them now

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by gbishman: 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
Of course don't they tax their followers so why can't dey they taxed. I am i complete agreement for them be taxed also
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by DrDxtrz: 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2016
I am a BIG yes on this, they should pay taxes.
And we all know why.

2 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2016
No, it is not line with best practices all over the world.

I am an atheist by the way
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by alaskido(m): 4:21pm On Jan 27, 2016
My take on this is CAPTIAL YES. They MUST pay tax.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by preciousMI1(f): 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2016
yes if they can't imitate Christ and extend their finance to the less Privilege by making their acquired business affordable for the poor that pay tithes and offerings then yes yes yes yes

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by viktor01(m): 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2016
If churches are made to pay tax, I will stop giving offerings and tithe and see where they intend to get the tax money from.
Senseless question.

Instead of thinking of means to solve our unemployment and economic issues, we asking about paying of tax by churches and mosques.
They should try to include shrines, Tribal gatherings, social media like facebook even NL should not be exempted too.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by lxyrul: 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2016
Both of them should. I support it fully

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by silent10(m): 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2016
Nicepoker:
yoruba moselm spotted.
He said d truth. I knw it hurts, jst tak pure water cool ursef smiley

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 4:31pm On Jan 27, 2016
Nicepoker:
yoruba moselm spotted.
No its not about being a Yoruba muslim, mosques are not money making ventures like Churches. There is nothing like payment of tithes. Mosques are mainly built by good Samaritans for people to use for five daily prayers or jumu'at prayers without the person who owns the mosque gaining a dime from it. Sometimes they are built by communities for the sole purpose of observing their five daily prayers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Btruth: 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2016
Yes. I'm in support of churches and mosque paying taxes to the government. And this will be a great test for them both, because we don't expect any house of God to deny their income to the government.

Accountability period is here. grin
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by silent10(m): 4:33pm On Jan 27, 2016
Owliver:
trash. is paying tax determined by the amount made? everybody pays tax rich or poor.
I also believe tax payments varies accordin 2 wat u earn. So in dat case, churches shld b tax more.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 27, 2016
modath:

My spouse & i had this convo not long ago when we went through the amount of CDs & books we've purchased .....

The other day, we were being coerced into "seed offering" for an institution that is fee paying ... I just looked at the people running to the altar to write their names for pledges like , "don't you people have people who need help around you" , cleaners in offices, security guys etc , if all your family & friends are balling !!!

Our churches are sitting on goldmines already, they don't our help, most of our mega churches can finance MDA budgets....

Aswear, if not for not forsaking gathering of brethrens, a don taya for the shenanigans! ! sad

boycott their fraudulent gatherings and say your prayers at home. works for me

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by BrownChima212(m): 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2016
Maxtermind:
A former Minister of State for the Interior, Chief Demola Seriki, says that in the face of the dwindling price of crude oil, churches and mosques that own businesses should pay tax to the government.

Seriki, who was also a supervising Minister of Mines and Steel under the late President Umaru Yar’Adua’s administration, said this during an interview with our correspondent on Monday.

The ex-minister’s call came less than a week after the Federal Government announced that N50 would be deducted from money deposited into any customer’s account as part of the efforts to boost government’s revenue in the face of the dwindling oil price.

He said religious bodies, especially churches, had built large business empires including universities but many of them were not paying tax.

The ex-minister said the wealth being made from these businesses was used in buying private jets with the government losing out.

He explained that some churches even had rented apartments in their various camps but were not paying land use charge to the government.

He said, “Places of worship such as churches and mosques should not pay tax but when they go into investment outside their main focus, they must pay tax. For example, there are some churches that are into importing and exporting and they are benefitting from the economy.

“You cannot do that without paying tax. They are not paying now. They use the name of the church to escape paying tax. This is wrong.

“Some churches have hundreds of houses in their various camps which they rent out but they don’t pay tax to the government because they are registered as religious organisations and are not paying tax. So, we must http://www.nairawall.com/lagos/lagos-mainland/news/viewpoint/941

I concur
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by vault(m): 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2016
they should pay,... their revenue depending on how big can sometimes be equivalent to that of a production company.....

and religious leaders should gladly do this,, not just enrich their already filled up pocket.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by chccho(m): 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2016
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS they make Billions of dollars annually
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Btruth: 4:36pm On Jan 27, 2016
Are they not? Most churches this days are business centre. Bookshops, restaurants and halls for hire for parties or ceremonies.

BALLOSKI:
Yes! That's if they use the religious houses to do business or generate revenue of any kind.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Ways You Can "Honor Your Father And Mother" / Speaking Phonetics Is A Sin— Evangelist / Cost Of Chalets In Mfm Prayer City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.