Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Where vs Were - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Where vs Were (2563 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where vs Were by xoxoxo(f): 6:42pm On Jun 26, 2009
No man is perfect but I must get this off my chest.  Need Clarification

I understand that where relates to a place or time and were is the past tense of was/is but lately I am questioning myself. I have seen an increase in posters using where for were or visa versa.  Am I missing something here? Is this one of those cases where a word can only be used in certain countries - for e.g sneaked (British) and snuck (American) or colour (American) and color (British).  I am seeing it so often that I am beginning to think it's ok.  Is it?

PLEASE I AM NOT HERE TO OFFEND ANYONE JUST CLARIFICATION

examples from some posters:

as they where weeping

where you  not also a victim of the same thing?

Lakers where worthy Winners

Where U the Joker in your family
Re: Where vs Were by xoxoxo(f): 6:52pm On Jun 26, 2009
guessing from the beginning of your sentence, it's ok to use where for were in your neck of the woods. Gotcha! Learn something new everyday.
vobasanmi:

Foster and Matt where leaping trough a swampy marshland when suddenly they tumbled into a deep dry ravine just at the end of the mush.Afther recovering from he shock of the falling, they tried to leap out of the hole.But try as hard as they could not propel themselfs out of the hole.Soon , Other frogs heard of the two frogs that were trapped in the ravine.The other frogs gathered arround the gulley in great numbers, urging the young frogs to jump out to safty.With every great attempt the crowed yelled in approval and urging them to try harder. afther a while, with foster and matt were cleally exhausted, the gathering of forgs brought in experts who analysed the situation, plotting graphs on the strenght of the their limbs, the depth and size of the hole and the age of the Foster and Matt, they concluded that ut was imposible for them to get out of the Ditch, Ever!the poor victims of circumstance sould conserve their strenght and wait it out until they Die.The heard of the team of expert stood on the edge of the gulley and gave a passionate speech about how this was the end of the them.Foster looked on confused, as Matthew lay down looking exhausted.THe crowed turned teir backs and shook their head in sorrow as they began to disperse slowly.then suddenly seeing that the other frogs were leaving, Foster strted jumping again.the frogs tured around, surprised, as Foster continued to jump, they became agitated,shouting him down, telling him to conserve his strenght that it was no use trying, he can't get out; it was never been done;it will never be done, But Foster kept on jumping, The louder they screamed at him, the more he jumped.as his jumbs became more frantic, loose earth beagn to drift down until it covered matthew, then foster had to jump on top of matthew to stay up and keep on the exercise, suddenly he jumps high and out of the pit.
the other frogs became amazed of foster result.then they wanted to know what gave him the strenght, so he was handed the Mic to speak, but all they heard from him was blee!!! bleee!!! bleee!!!, that was how deff and doom speaks, they were now more amazed that foster was deff and doom, which means he did not hear all that the experts was saying about the end of their Life in the Pit, HE GAVE NOT ALL EARS TO EXPERTS ADVISE ABOUT HIS CONDITION.
For more of this Stories Visit www.ninjamotivations..com Enjoy!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Fg Approves Unified Platform For Jamb, Neco / 2010/2011 Imt,enugu Post Ume Registration Has Started / Oou Second List Is Out Check Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.