Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids (1765 Views)

My Goat Farm Startup (my Diary) / I Am So Happy, My Goat Has Given Birth. (photos) / Can You Provide Any Of My Goat Farm Needs... VENDORS NEEDED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by JohnNgene: 8:30am On Jan 26, 2016
My nanny goat just gave birth to two kids. It's actually my neighbour's nanny goat but he brought it to my compound last night. It gave birth very early this morning around 4am and has been running away from its kids. Worse of all is that the nanny goat looks sick and its breasts looks flat.

Please I need advice from experienced goat-farmers. What can I do to save the two kids before they die? Is there any milk I can feed them with?

Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 26, 2016
The nanny is sick and her udder hurts. That's why she is running away from her kid. What to do? I advise you get a feeding bottle and infant milk (if you can find processed goat milk, it would be best). Feed the kids yourself - be very soft with them. That is how to keep the kids alife for now until their mother gets well. Then, to help their mother get well, I recommend you dissolve C24/7 food supplements in water and try to make the nanny drink. If it refuses, force it to drink it. C24/7 is meant for human beings (fast restoration) but I'm pretty sure it will work for a nanny goat. You can get C24/7 in Nigeria from www.zerosickness.com.ng. You can read more on this here: http://mayalassiter.com/2009/07/when-goat-mamas-wont-nurse-their-kids/

When you're through, you can comment here if you got it right.
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by JohnNgene: 9:30am On Jan 26, 2016
Freelanswer:
The nanny is sick and her udder hurts. That's why she is running away from her kid. What to do? I advise you get a feeding bottle and infant milk (if you can find processed goat milk, it would be best). Feed the kids yourself - be very soft with them. That is how to keep the kids alife for now until their mother gets well. Then, to help their mother get well, I recommend you dissolve C24/7 food supplements in water and try to make the nanny drink. If it refuses, force it to drink it. C24/7 is meant for human beings (fast restoration) but I'm pretty sure it will work for a nanny goat. You can get C24/7 in Nigeria from www.zerosickness.com.ng. You can read more on this here: http://mayalassiter.com/2009/07/when-goat-mamas-wont-nurse-their-kids/

When you're through, you can comment here if you got it right.

Thanks so much. Though I wonder where I can get processed goat milk here in Enugu. Let me go to the market and check.
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by JohnNgene: 10:55pm On Jan 26, 2016
I bought a small feeding bottle and Three Crowns milk. They've been taking it. I carried them upstairs into my house where its not so cold. They're sleeping peacefully now. I'll still try to find processed goat milk in the market tomorrow.
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by ojoyentalk: 3:22am On Jan 27, 2016
I wish you well
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by Jofez: 7:56am On Jan 27, 2016
My brother cow milk could be detrimental to goat kids. It normally causes diarrhoea , d kids need dat first milk 4rm dia mother (colostrum) to help build strong immunity against diseases. D disease could be mastitis. I once had similar issue last month and I used oxytetracycline. If you can't inject, buy tetracin and paracetamol and mix with her best feed maybe poultry feed and feed her with it morning and evening. I assure u it will work. Maybe a male goat chased her around or disturbed her which may cause her to have pain in her udder. U can milk her or hold her for the kids to suckle her a little. Nothing will happen to her
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by JohnNgene: 11:21am On Jan 27, 2016
Day 2:

Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by JohnNgene: 5:31pm On Jan 27, 2016
They're dead. So sad!

Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by Jofez: 7:43pm On Jan 27, 2016
Sorry bro. . I told you what to do and I don't think u did it
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by Walexz02(m): 11:29pm On Jan 27, 2016
cry cry
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by sanmibukunmi: 7:20am On Jan 28, 2016
So sorry they died......but in case of next time, you should prepare your own artificial colostrum...... you will need milk, egg, anti biotics, warm clean water, salt, sugar....you can Google how to prepare colostrum to know the right ratio....

the goats died because they couldn't suckle the colostrum. the colostrum is the most important diet of a new born kid. sorry for your loss bro.
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by JohnNgene: 3:53am On Jan 29, 2016
Yes SanmiBukunmi, you're right. It was the lack of colostrum that killed the poor kids. By the time, I found out there was a way to prepare artificial colostrum, it was too late. So sad.
Re: HELP: My Goat Refuses To Suckle Its New-born Kids by JohnNgene: 4:01am On Jan 29, 2016
Jofez:
Sorry bro. . I told you what to do and I don't think u did it

Jofez, when I held down the nanny goat for her kids to suckle, no milk came out. Then she just lay down there as if she was dead. That's when I realised how sick she is. She doesn't even eat and bleats like she's being strangled. Plus, I don't want to treat her with my money cos I'm not sure her owner'll refund me. In fact, if I treat her and she still dies, they might even accuse me of poisoning her. Lol

(1) (Reply)

I Need Improved Mushroom Seeds In Abuja / 2017 Fish Import Licence / Meet The 35 Year-old Entrepreneur Who Owns Nigeria's 2nd Largest Rice Farm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.