Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,508 members, 7,801,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Recommend Hair Products - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Recommend Hair Products (20488 Views)

Order For Your CANTU Hair Products / Pro 10 Hair Products / Are Hair Products Made Under-seas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 3:20am On Jul 03, 2009
Ok, thanks jare.

So which should I apply, a serum or a setting spray/lotion?
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 3:22am On Jul 03, 2009
is it for the flat iron?
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 03, 2009
Yes, and what would you recomment for just straight hair.

Ok, I guess I have to make a trip to walmart tomor
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Shinatu: 8:17am On Jul 03, 2009
@Sissy.

Thanks.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by chiogo(f): 12:54am On Jul 04, 2009
There are special lotions for using hot irons on the hair.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 3:28am On Jul 04, 2009
Shinatu:

@Sissy.

Thanks.

uw

@ ebony

it's usually those ones i listed w/shampoo/conditioner and few others i blend in
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 5:53am On Jul 04, 2009

for damaged and dry hair
Re: Recommend Hair Products by MENA247(f): 9:28am On Jul 09, 2009
Like i got no hair left in front what do i do to get it to grow longer and richer,where can we get these products and hope they are affordable
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oge4real(f): 11:26am On Jul 09, 2009
I use mostly olive oil products from ORS- relaxer, shampoo, conditioner, maiyonase, carrot oil,hair spray and shear butter cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Recommend Hair Products by waterworks(f): 2:17pm On Jul 09, 2009
DEAR ALL SOS!!
Ive been growing my hair since twelve. when in sec school i used my nautral hair but after leaving i started doing braids for bout 2 years. now i do wevaons and alternate with braided hair but never long braids my front hair always chops and i dnt like the look. so typical!
eniways my hair is growning small small the back is healthy and grows long but the front cuts once in a while and now the front is half the length of the back and my hair is not that full either. i want to use my natural hair butbcos of that theres nothing to do with it. i have to admit i dnt take care of it so much when i have it natural. sometimes i dnt tie it in the night. but now ive gotten better and try to moistorise it a lot. sometimes i wish i can go back to sec school so i could do thread!! i mostly do short weaves so i dnt brush to much and cut my hair and i leave it only for 3 weeks.

are they any tips you can goive me to make the front part grow and to make it fuller?
i use all olive hair products including relaxer. i hate the smell of the carrot oil and all that so i hardly use them.
i hate the smell of the virgin cream is that my only hope? any other cremes to grow hair?
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 09, 2009
waterworks:

are they any tips you can goive me to make the front part grow and to make it fuller?
i use all olive hair products including relaxer. i hate the smell of the carrot oil and all that so i hardly use them.
i hate the smell of the virgin cream is that my only hope? any other cremes to grow hair?
Thats what am also scared of. Is there anyway you can tell your hairstylist to leave a bit of the front parts. I mean, you can always gel them don.

As to how to make them grow fuller, I don't think that's possible
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Lita(f): 1:59am On Jul 21, 2009
if you want your hair to grow, leave the weaves and relaxers alone.

a chemical that breaks the bonds of your hair down to the point where hyper-curly/kiny hair becomes straight inevitably leads to weakness and usually, breakage. for many, it never achives the desired straightness, and you are continually wasting your time in this search.

bad hairdressing practises (too tight plaiting, heavy wigs and weaves, hair left too dirty, small tooth combs on dry hair, petroleum based greases, weaves left too long etc) lead to traction alopecia, which, for many may even become life-long baldness. there's no cream on the market that will change your hair texture or make it grow. you can improve your diet and practises and hope for the best. everyone's hair grows, but retaining the length is the problem (if you perm your hair, does it not get due? then it grows)

attaching 'hair' to your own hair will pull on the your hair and weaken it, possibly from the follicle.  not to mention, the way that human hair is acquired are dubious (some come from rubbish bins in India, some is stolen from people and from temples)

europeans (via America) have sold us the idea that our hair is 'unmanageable' and that wigs and weaves that make us look like Beyonce (which they don't) are the way to go.  if you stop trying to do things that your hair doesn't want to do, it won't be unmanageble.  the woman on the relaxer box is touched up with computers and a wig.  you perm, it breaks, you wear a wig, it continues to weaken, you continue wearing a wig to hide the baldness.

sorry to sound so harsh (i permed once) just want people to at least *realise* there are other options. if you want pictures, or more information, i've got lots of weblinks from *real* people (not people paid by Dark and Lovely or L'oreal to claim that something works) and forums.

its all in love  smiley
Re: Recommend Hair Products by adetunrayo(f): 3:55pm On Jul 21, 2009
@sissy
Pls, do u know where d person that gave u d hair straightner bought it and the price or do u know where i can get a genuine one + d price .I recently bought one , but its not working,d heat doesnt straight my hair at all.I guess I bought fake.

The name is EML - 638 made in china.

Thanks as u reply.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by adetunrayo(f): 3:58pm On Jul 21, 2009
@Lita
Can u pls post d weblinks?
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Lita(f): 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2009
well, www.nappturality.com. its an american site started by an african american woman who moved to australia and could not find any online resources for her natural hair. its a forum like this one, with lots of black women based in africa, europe, and the americas, though leans towards experiences in the US. its my personal favourite.

www.fotki.com is a photo blogging site. A lot of NP members have fotkis and it, like youtube is very useful. you can find a 'hair twin', someone who's hair is similar and track their methods and progress. one that i love is http://members.fotki.com/Kemi21/

another is motowngirl.com, which is a little smaller and simpler, with more directions and how-tos. the only problem i have with it is that different things work for different people, and motowngirl doesn't completely allow for that.

roshini.net is great as a personal 'hair' journey of one woman, a US based caribbean lady.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 2:17am On Jul 22, 2009
Lita:

well, www.nappturality.com. its an american site started by an african american woman who moved to australia and could not find any online resources for her natural hair. its a forum like this one, with lots of black women based in africa, europe, and the americas, though leans towards experiences in the US. its my personal favourite.

www.fotki.com is a photo blogging site. A lot of NP members have fotkis and it, like youtube is very useful. you can find a 'hair twin', someone who's hair is similar and track their methods and progress. one that i love is http://members.fotki.com/Kemi21/

another is motowngirl.com, which is a little smaller and simpler, with more directions and how-tos. the only problem i have with it is that different things work for different people, and motowngirl doesn't completely allow for that.

roshini.net is great as a personal 'hair' journey of one woman, a US based caribbean lady.

Lita, I think it'd held to also give us some idea of what kinda produt you use.

I checked out the Kemi21 site, nice pix, if that's you. Your hair is long shocked shocked shocked and very natural, cool
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Lita(f): 10:51am On Jul 24, 2009
she isn't me, sorry (i'm very sorry, i wish it was me!)
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Tatase(f): 1:25am On Jul 27, 2009
Ok so I've been trying to reduce the amount of heat I put into my hair by airdrying my hair when I wash it, but as most of you who have ever let your hair just dry from wet know, it comes out frizzy and poofy. But I recently found some products that are really excellent and help my airdried hair come out straight as if I just blowdried it:

Ok once I've towel dried my hair I spray Elasta QP H-Two Leave-in on my hair line and the ends of my hair, then I sprayed some Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructurizer (this one is optional but I do it to help with breakage), and then I work Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave in Cream (this one is so good that really you could probably get away with just using this as your leave-in) throught the hair from roots to tips and finish with Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum (or Garnier Fructis Brillantine Shine Glistening Drops). After that I comb the hair to the back, smooth the front and then tie a do-rag or scarf over it tight and wait for it to dry. When you take the scarf off, its not frizzy at all and feels soft and smooth like you just relaxed your hair even though I'm a little over 2 months since I last relaxed my hair.

Once it's dry I just found the best moisturizer/ hair cream (whether or not you blowdry your hair). It's Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Lotion. It's pretty excellent.

Also I saw someone mentioned nappturality, its good but some other really good hair sites that I find really helpful are forum.blackhairmedia.com (which can be a little overwhelming but has a lot of info); hairlicious..com (is a little less intense), and on youtube there are two girls (well two that I find most helpful): hairliciousinc and macheriehair have many really helpful videos.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 1:28am On Jul 27, 2009
Puffy is what am dying for cheesy
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Tatase(f): 1:54am On Jul 27, 2009
FL Gators:

Puffy is what am dying for cheesy

We should exchange hair. My hair is pretty relaxer-resistant so even when its wet its curly/wavy. Just letting it airdry it afros itself out but not even in a good way, its a random mixture of straight and curly like a birds nest and totally uncombable. Ok picture something like this (stolen from a youtube video) but with a few more curly bits and a bit frizzier. This is pretty much my hair airdried usually. . . i.e. birdsnest roots and straightish ends hanging off,

Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 27, 2009
Tatase:

We should exchange hair. My hair is pretty relaxer-resistant so even when its wet its curly/wavy. Just letting it airdry it afros itself out but not even in a good way, its a random mixture of straight and curly like a birds nest and totally uncombable. Ok picture something like this (stolen from a youtube video) but with a few more curly bits and a bit frizzier. This is pretty much my hair airdried usually. . . i.e. birdsnest roots and straightish ends hanging off,

Thats your hair? I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it!! Fabulous

The good thing about puffy hair is that it can look messy and still look gorgeous.

I rec. some products on page 1/2 (which  I asked around NL b4 I knew about them grin ), try them. They're real nice.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Tatase(f): 2:16am On Jul 27, 2009
FL Gators:

Thats your hair? I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it!! Fabulous

The good thing about puffy hair is that it can look messy and still look gorgeous.

I rec. some products on page 1/2 (which  I asked around NL b4 I knew about them grin ), try them. They're real nice.

OMG. . . Its so messy and random like a crazy person and it tangles really easily (see the ball of frizz at the roots) so when you fight it enough to get a comb through your hair breaks. I don't think I'm . . .  whatstheword. . . edgy? enough to carry off crazyperson hair. I hate blowdrying my hair because why add heat damage to chemical damage from relaxing? But I'm glad I've found a way to tame that ish without heat.

That's not me o by the way. Its a random youtube chick but that's how my hair looks when it airdries without help.

As for the products you listed:
I love the Organics Hair Mayo and the LeKair (or sometimes Queen Helene) Cholesterol. They're weekly staples. My hair for some reason reacted really badly (can you say breakage) to Cantu Shea Butter (and come to think of it another shea butter cream I used a while ago) so I never tried any of the other Cantu products. I like the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line and Aphogee is good for breakage too. Castor oil is also good for thicker hair or at least the illusion of thicker hair, I'm not sure which: anyway point being it makes your hair feel thicker. So if you're into big hair, try that.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:20am On Jul 27, 2009
People like Lita get on my nerves
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 2:23am On Jul 27, 2009
Yea, I stopped blow drying my hair too.

Well, I love cantu, its moisturizes hair and their product smells sooooooooooo goooood.

After applying those products you use to your hair, wrap your hair with plastic wrapper (the one you use for iyan or amala). After drying,your hair will still be moist and contained.

But your hair is so nice like that.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 2:23am On Jul 27, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

People like Lita get on my nerves
Ki lo tun se na?
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 2:24am On Jul 27, 2009
lol
Re: Recommend Hair Products by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:44am On Jul 27, 2009
Did she even answer the question despite her stupid "stop trying to look European" BS sermon.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by netotse(m): 2:52am On Jul 27, 2009
FL Gators:

Yea, I stopped blow drying my hair too.

Well, I love cantu, its moisturizes hair and their product smells sooooooooooo goooood.

After applying those products you use to your hair, wrap your hair with plastic wrapper (the one you use for iyan or amala). After drying,your hair will still be moist and contained.

But your hair is so nice like that.

i see. . . shocked
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 2:56am On Jul 27, 2009
gosh sounds funny but it's true. i do that when i condition my hair. put the conditioner on and wrap it. not with amala plastic sef. na supermaket plastic bag i dey use. the conditioner go penetrate well well grin grin
Re: Recommend Hair Products by netotse(m): 3:04am On Jul 27, 2009
this is how God is delivering me from scoping y'alls hair too much, i rem the day i saw some1 getting weave on fixed, after that day i stopped being impressed by weave-on o, under the fine hair is prolly one ugly-ass weave!

so now anytime i see a girl wiv fine hair i'll now flashbak to wraps of amala and iyan abi? or hair in supermarket nylon? [size=5pt]thank God i'm doing the whole single thing o! this wouldnt hv helped[/size]
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 3:07am On Jul 27, 2009
there is no difference between supermarket nylon and fancy plastic cap oyinbo use. same material and goal just different technique cheesy

i agree weave is nasty
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 3:08am On Jul 27, 2009
netotse:

this is how God is delivering me from scoping y'alls hair too much, i rem the day i saw some1 getting weave on fixed, after that day i stopped being impressed by weave-on o, under the fine hair is prolly one ugly-ass weave!

so now anytime i see a girl wiv fine hair i'll now flashbak to wraps of amala and iyan abi? or hair in supermarket nylon? [size=5pt]thank God i'm doing the whole single thing o! this wouldnt hv helped[/size]
rotflmao grin grin

LOL, I hope you odn't think we smear amala and iyan on our head grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture Of Kids Dressed As Traditional Couple / Nigerian Lace Skirt And Blouse Ankara Styles / What Are Hair Attachments Made From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.